Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Good Day To Die Hard

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 9:41:49 PM   
jackcarter

quote:

ORIGINAL: mlavagna
My personal preference for DIE HARD VI would be having it based on the book IGNITION, by Kevin J Anderson. Essentially DIE HARD set within the confines of NASAs Kennedy Space Centre. To be clear, the hero does not go to space, which would a a step (or giant leap) too far. The action is grounded on terra firma. If that book was handed to a talented screenwriter for a rewrite and McTiernen was hired to direct we could have a fantastic sequel.

DH6: Where No Die Hard Has Gone Before

that reminds me - i think Star Trek TNG got in on the die hard act and did an episode where Picard went all McClane

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 61
Die Average - 14/2/2013 9:47:22 PM   
bretty

Ho hum. A Die Hard film that forgets it's roots and lacks any charm, wit or soul. Daft plot, shite bad guys an Bruce sleepwalking. Probably the end of a franchise that gave us three good films, one okay one and then......this.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 62
- 14/2/2013 11:42:56 PM   
satchwannad

Ohh this was bad :-( i expected bad! But this was badd! :-( it was like watching a by the numbers sy fi film with a bigger budget..time to retire mcclane.

Post #: 63
A good day to call it a day... - 15/2/2013 8:56:52 AM   
Deacon Frost

Once upon a time, I literally worshipped at the alter of this franchise. This, complete and utter mess of a film, has no right to be called Die Hard. No sooner has McClane touched down in Russia than it all starts to crumble. The cutting and editing on this film..is off. Its disconcerting. You are in the middle of a scene, then you ping away slightly to another angle. Bumping you out of the scene slightly.

This film, quite clearly, has been filmed as a lot more violent than the film that was presented before us. It has been censored so heavily that it barely hangs together as a coherent watch at all. The staggeringly skimpy run time of 97 mins (seriously, it felt longer) is quite evident of this.

Good points - McClane has a couple of decent line, the car chase through Russia was a decent set piece, and the ball room scene....and thats about your lot. In between all of this, they merely slapped in a couple of scenes about 'how we have to get the scumbags', a guy eats a carrot and tap dances in a ball room (Alan Rickman this guy is not), drove to Chernobyl (400 miles) in what felt like a couple of minutes, and ran around with a guy with a beard looking for 'a file'.

It was a sad watch and I almost had a lump in my throat that the franchise I once loved, has been reduced to a piddling, incoherent, censored, unholy mess, lurching from one improbable set piece to another. This makes Die Hard 4.0 look like the first one. I can only hope that the 'Harder' cut will arrive on DVD and that there is a decent film in there somewhere. I wont be holding my breath though.

I will now be avoiding anything by John Moore...With a Vengence.

Post #: 64
RE: A good day to call it a day... - 15/2/2013 8:58:10 AM   
Rgirvan44

Hey, it turns out the writer of Wolverine wrote a shitty script!

Who knew?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deacon Frost)
Post #: 65
I know we all have to earn a living but... Holy Shit - 15/2/2013 9:21:54 AM   
chris wootton

That was bad. It wasn't finished was it? I will never spend my cash on Bruce at the cinema ever again.. he should be ashamed of himself

Post #: 66
A Good Day That John McLane Shouldn't Of Lived Through - 15/2/2013 1:38:22 PM   
EvilDoctorPorkChop

So many plot holes. Basically all this film teaches you is that you can be an absolute bastard to your father and they will still love you. Personally i think just a time out would of been sufficient instead of wasting 90 mins chasing across Russia & Chernobyl. What was the deal with Chernobyl anyway? The russians go in with radiation suits on (as you no doubt would) and yet Old man McClane & his offspring just walk in and kill everyone without so much as a mask over their face. Its too easy for McClane to find his son as well. He's a cop not an undercover agent and he just finds him straight away (Moscow is a big place). The only impressive thing about this was the car chase and the courtroom explosion. The only things that looked non-cgi. Even though after crashing upside down and generally getting smashed about all over the road, neither McCLane or Jack should of got back up that easily, or at least would of had more injuries. Then again, that's action movies for you. They jump through god knows how much glass without a scratch on them. Bring back Alan Rickman, these bad guy 'scumbags' (as is repeated every 5 mins) got nothing on previous die hard's. Time to pack up and get on over to the retirement home John. God knows what might happen if there is a 6th one. Die Hard in space? Yippie Ki NAY!

Post #: 67
A Good Day That John McLane Shouldn't Of Lived Through - 15/2/2013 1:38:26 PM   
EvilDoctorPorkChop

So many plot holes. Basically all this film teaches you is that you can be an absolute bastard to your father and they will still love you. Personally i think just a time out would of been sufficient instead of wasting 90 mins chasing across Russia & Chernobyl. What was the deal with Chernobyl anyway? The russians go in with radiation suits on (as you no doubt would) and yet Old man McClane & his offspring just walk in and kill everyone without so much as a mask over their face. Its too easy for McClane to find his son as well. He's a cop not an undercover agent and he just finds him straight away (Moscow is a big place). The only impressive thing about this was the car chase and the courtroom explosion. The only things that looked non-cgi. Even though after crashing upside down and generally getting smashed about all over the road, neither McCLane or Jack should of got back up that easily, or at least would of had more injuries. Then again, that's action movies for you. They jump through god knows how much glass without a scratch on them. Bring back Alan Rickman, these bad guy 'scumbags' (as is repeated every 5 mins) got nothing on previous die hard's. Time to pack up and get on over to the retirement home John. God knows what might happen if there is a 6th one. Die Hard in space? Yippie Ki NAY!

Post #: 68
RE: A Good Day That John McLane Shouldn't Of Lived Through - 15/2/2013 2:07:22 PM   
musht

Fuck it!! I liked it!!

It's definitely the worst in the series but it's definitely an enjoyable romp. Of course it's bad when any film in the Die Hard franchise can be described as merely an "enjoyable romp" but I honestly don't see it as being as terrible and disloyal to the franchise as people are saying. I would argue that McClane shows a lot more of the characteristics that we love than he did in 4.0 which is partly due to the mediocre story allowing him to be a lot more of a reluctant hero. I bought into the relationship between McClane and is son, the gags about the McClanes not being a hugging family seemed out of place in the trailer seemed out of place in the trailer but in the context of the whole film it works because as we all know deep down John loves his family and it's that love which has driven him through 4 of the 5 films so far. The action is good and doesn't go as OTT as 4.0 did.

Overall Iliked it, didn't love it but I liked and I think the criticisms thus far have been harsh. It's definitely a low three star, I wouldn't quite stoop to two though.

It was a 15A here in Ireland, we still didn't get a Motherf****r which leads to believe that it's actually the same cut as the 12A shown in the UK, but I'm not sure.

< Message edited by musht -- 15/2/2013 2:11:02 PM >

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to EvilDoctorPorkChop)
Post #: 69
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 15/2/2013 3:34:16 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Not top of my list of films to see I`ve still got quality oscarworthy filme like Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln to see. In the next film their probably get him to save a continent, then in the next film the world, followed by the galaxy, then the universe!

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to mlavagna)
Post #: 70
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 15/2/2013 4:08:02 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

Not top of my list of films to see I`ve still got quality oscarworthy filme like Zero Dark Thirty and Lincoln to see. In the next film their probably get him to save a continent, then in the next film the world, followed by the galaxy, then the universe!

Zero Dark Thirty is definitely better. I wouldn't blame people for waiting to the DVD/Blu-ray

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 71
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 15/2/2013 4:16:40 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Well as I have an Unlimited Cineworld card that per month costs about the same as a 3D Blu Ray if makes more financial sense to see it at one of thir cinemas and if it really is bad I can see something else for no extra cost.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 72
AWFUL review!? - 15/2/2013 5:22:08 PM   
J_BUltimatum

Before I get to the main point of my anger at this review, I shall firstly say this... It's not the best Die Hard movie made but it certainly isn't as bad as Mr. Newman makes it out to be. Which nicely brings me to my main point. The reviewer. Why, oh why do you let Kim Newman review films??? He can't write for beans! Yes he can throw in a few big words like "augmentation" in there but he then spouts crap like "which the first three Die Hards satisfactorily wrapped up into a trilogy.". Isn't that what three films are usually called? Also McClane has never had an "action sidekick". Yes he's had sidekicks but you can't really call Sam Jackson and Justin Long as the action type in those movies. In all an awful review and just on that note I am inclined to give this 5 stars! Maybe keep Kim Newman in his dungeon watching his crap movies in future Empire. PLEASE!!!!

Post #: 73
Die Flaccid - 15/2/2013 6:18:16 PM   
BenTramer

It's not been a great few weeks for 80s action stars with Stallone's Bullet To The Head, Schwarzenegger's The Last Stand and Willis with this. They tanked and didn't get great reviews. Fox clearly were worried about Willis's age, so they got a kid in to play his son and whacked a kiddie-friendly 12A on it, but they sold out the integrity of the character in doing that and ruined the franchise. I'd be surprised if there was a Die Hard 6. The thrill has gone.

Post #: 74
DIE OF SHAME!!!! - 15/2/2013 10:06:59 PM   
Ramone87

Bruce Willis returns yet again for another Diehard installment,...!!

But was it even worth it?...the truth not so much. We just basically get more of the same to be honest. Before you can yell Yippe kiyeeaah,..john get's mixed up on a secret CIA mission involving his son played by jai Courtney in wintery Russia. After a foiled escape from a bombed court room involving a Russian convict played by Sebastien Koch looking for a file of some sort, both john and his agent son Jack go on a relentless action fest from russian baddies. We go from motorways to building rooftops and anything else worth blowing up for screen running time...

And that's it basically,..we have the same card board villians you would expect from the now watered down trilogy,...now baddies resort to tap dancing routines to be menacing,....please!! Plot twists you could see coming a mile off,...bad Russian accents and poor male humour bonding between John and Mclane junior. Only a scene with Bruce and a Russian cabbie seems to have any kind of character development and wit, before it just turns into chase after chase,...shoot out and after shoot out...

I can't really recommend this to fan's of the Die-Hard franchise who tuned off after the equally poor Part 4 or to other action fans who would naturally expect so much more nowadays,....

Avoid!!!

Post #: 75
DIE OF SHAME!!!! - 15/2/2013 10:07:01 PM   
Ramone87

Bruce Willis returns yet again for another Diehard installment,...!!

But was it even worth it?...the truth not so much. We just basically get more of the same to be honest. Before you can yell Yippe kiyeeaah,..john get's mixed up on a secret CIA mission involving his son played by jai Courtney in wintery Russia. After a foiled escape from a bombed court room involving a Russian convict played by Sebastien Koch looking for a file of some sort, both john and his agent son Jack go on a relentless action fest from russian baddies. We go from motorways to building rooftops and anything else worth blowing up for screen running time...

And that's it basically,..we have the same card board villians you would expect from the now watered down trilogy,...now baddies resort to tap dancing routines to be menacing,....please!! Plot twists you could see coming a mile off,...bad Russian accents and poor male humour bonding between John and Mclane junior. Only a scene with Bruce and a Russian cabbie seems to have any kind of character development and wit, before it just turns into chase after chase,...shoot out and after shoot out...

I can't really recommend this to fan's of the Die-Hard franchise who tuned off after the equally poor Part 4 or to other action fans who would naturally expect so much more nowadays,....

Avoid!!!

Post #: 76
RE: DIE OF SHAME!!!! - 16/2/2013 12:47:19 AM   
Filmfan 2

****SPOILERS****

What a steaming turd of a movie!

I went into this not expecting a great deal (and having seen the film I now know that I pretty much had every action beat, and the ending, spoiled by the trailer), but this was really quite atrocious.

The action scenes were incredibly yawn-inducing and just seemed to abandon any attempt to try and stay within the realms of reality. I know killing a helicopter with a car and going one-on-one with a fighter jet wasn't exactly keeping it real, but that car chase at the start is an absolute joke. McClane as a character is just a parody of himself now, and whilst there was the odd chuckle to be had, most of the one-liners were hackneyed, with that particular quip about being 'on vacation' being repeated ad-nauseum and it lost its shine very quickly (not to mention that he wasn't on vacation - he was there because his son was supposedly in trouble /pedant). In regards to his son, what was the point of him even being there? His character was so scant and the attempts to create any kind relationship between father and son was painfully feeble. Whilst we're on the subject of feeble things, the plot for this film was was so bare it almost didn't exist. The story seemed to exist to create the most tenuous of links between the action scenes in the movie which is unforgivable, given the poor attention paid to everything other than the explosions.

The references to Willis' age and hair loss are a boringly predictable element of his recent movies: he's old and bald - we get it! Much has been made of the recent slew of movies with an older cast and how revolutionary this has been but, if you ask me, what will be 'revolutionary' will be when we get these kinds of films and we're not being constantly reminded of the actors' age. Perhaps in youth-orientated media land, however, it maybe seems remarkable that anyone over the age of 40 can draw breath.

I can only presume Willis has something that needed paying for when he agreed to make this. That shot at the end that was an ode to Alan Rickman's death in the first movie only serves to remind the viewer just how far the quality of these films has fallen-off over the last two movies. John McClane has gone from an everyman cop in the wrong place at the wrong time to being a nigh-on-invincible superhuman.

2.5/10

< Message edited by Filmfan 2 -- 16/2/2013 12:54:00 AM >

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 77
RE: DIE OF SHAME!!!! - 16/2/2013 1:06:54 AM   
Private Hudson

I love Die Hard and actually I have loved every one of the previous 4 movies, even though that bit in Die Hard 4.0 when he takes on a fighter was pushing the OTT boundary for me.

Sadly in this movie that boundary has well and truly been jumped over.

The movie is simply preposterous. Okay so the original film was called 'Die Hard' but in this case they take it to extremes. Just how many falls through glass/concrete/any material known to man can one man take without a broken bone or limb?

Also there was no ingenious set-up that the other 4 movies had. In Die Hard we had the then new thrill of terrorists hijacking an enclosed space (since done to death with Die Hard on a.... fill in the blanks).

Die Harder had the danger of Holly being aboard one of the doomed airliners.

With a Vengeance had the excellent gimmick of 'Simon Says' and a decent side kick in Zeus.

4.0 had a great start with the bad guys taking over transport and communications across the US, and had a techno theme.

Sadly for A Good Day to Die Hard there is no uniqueness to it. We've seen all this before. Bad Russians and even badder Russians. Double crossed Russians.

Die Hards were successful due to having a witty and clever plot along with some kind of USP/gimmick which I have outlined above. That's what set them above many of contemporary action films. Plus they had a style to them as well.

This plot seems a bit like every Z-grade action movie on Movies4Men starring some guy called Davidoff. I half expected some Radek loyalists to turn up from Air Force One (a film that is equally as daft but pulls it off due to a proper Die Hard conceit and an "Only He Could Pull It Off" star turn from Harrison Ford).

I had went into this with high hopes as I don't bother too much with Rotten Tomatoes as I actually liked John Carter for example.

The running time worried me. When a movie is around 85-90 minutes long, unless it is a comedy, then you know something is probably amiss. Most action movies/blockbusters normally aim for 2 hours in the cinema as this translates into 1 hour and 50 minutes on TV. More recent blockbusters go well over the 2 hour mark, which is a relatively new idea for modern action movies (Aliens and some Bond movies are exceptions I can think of) unless they had epic themed material (such as Dr Zhivago, Ben Hur etc).

John Jnr was not the right kind of foil for McClane. He didn't need his dad's help and in fact you were never in doubt for one second about the outcome of the movie, which is sad.

Plus what was their plan? (I may have missed this due to a comfort break!). Surely they had to threaten the USA with a nuke?

Other daft things that annoyed me involved Chernoybl.

Chernobyl is NOT in Russia. It is in the Ukraine. So where were their passports and visas? And Chernoybl is over 400 miles from Moscow, so normally a 7 hour drive, but on Russian dodgy roads it would surely take longer yet they get there at the same time as the helicopter or just after? Come on!

Plus if you have read National Geographic you would know that it is still highly radioactive. I read somewhere it said that humans can't live there again for 20,000 years. Some people do work there but only for a few hours a month (in NBC suits!).

Oh and a good idea to go swimming in the 'rainwater'. That would be highly radioactive I am sure! FFS we experienced acid rain in Scotland just after Chernoybl which damaged crops and poisoned animals!

The Soviets were very lucky the wind was blowing away from Kiev that day or millions would have died. The dust cloud blew away and they began to dissipate (something that The Sum of All Fears got right, which I thought at the time was OTT - remember the bit when Ryan is running around Baltimore and they are telling him where he is in relation to the radioactive dust cloud?).

I am sure I will buy this on DVD just to be a completist and I am sure I will grow to love it a wee bit more, but I can only give this **, and it pains me to do so, and probably I will know many who will give it only *.

Where does the blame lie? John Moore? Skip Woods?

They should have waited until they had the next idea for a Die Hard to make it a bit unique. By all means send McClane to Russia, but having him chase around Moscow and then fight in Chernoybl almost like a Call of Duty game isn't Die Hard. It is a generic action movie.

Even if they had set it up as his son was kidnapped and McClane goes to the rescue (which is a movie cliche also but somehow it would have made for better opportunities for McClane to use his cunning as well as his fists) would have been better.

Also the son should not have been his equal. Maybe they couldn't have given him another geeky/nerdy partner after 4.0 but to have John Jnr as an action hero just wasn't right.

Overall I can't believe that after 4 good movies (1 classic and 3 very good I would say) they have jumped the shark and delivered a B-movie, which Die Hard never was. Even if they had made this was a small budget, Die Hard scripts have been clever, witty, smart and as I keep saying some idea/theme/gimmick which has made it feel new.

I really hope they do make a final Die Hard just so this isn't McClane's last bow. But I don't hold out hope as I reckon word of mouth will kill it.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Ramone87)
Post #: 78
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 16/2/2013 1:33:35 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Heh... I've never understood the people who think of the original as anything but a generic 80's action film. One of the better ones, to be sure, but considering the quality of most of them, that's not saying much. It's certainly not some kind of untouchable holy relic. And he was already doing unlikely generic action hero things in that film... but for some reason people think that because he cut his feet on glass, he was an "everyman".

What made Die Hard a classic is the entire package.

A great central conceit: 'terrorists' hijack a skyscraper but there is a Lone Wolf in the building.

A great Teutonic villain.

Funny supporting characters.

Gripping scenes of "Will he get caught?"

Superb action scenes.

But above all Die Hard was witty. And it had a clever script. As I have said before Die Hard applied the classic Bond formula of escapism and believable OTT action to a movie (just at the time when Bond tried to become more realistic under Timothy Dalton - and failed at the Box Office - but I love License to Kill!).

Bruce Willis as McClane was a superb character. I don't think he was an 'Everyman' or even supposed to be. He was the tough guy who ended up in the wrong place in the wrong time... just what the efficient Hans Gruber hadn't factored in to his ingenious bank robbery.

It was indeed cowboy v indians so to speak.

We had a good guy we could cheer for, but at the same time would his wife get found out? Would he get caught? Would Gruber get away?

Think of some of the best bits:

Gruber doing what good guys usually do when cornered by the bad guys... pretending to be someone else "Bill Clay"

The idiot who tries to negotiate with Gruber.

The way the media get involved... William Atherton's sleazeball reporter (oh and also the moronic anchorman who says "Helsinki, Sweden")

The fire hose jump - an iconic moment - especially when he has to shoot the glass to get inside.

My favourite line is from Paul Gleason's cop who after witnessing someone (Gruber) fall from the Nakatomi Plaza he says "Oh I hope that's not a hostage."

Die Hard is a bona fide classic movie of any genre. It certainly makes my all time top ten movie list.

Because for me films or movies are about entertainment. And you don't many more exciting 2 hours in cinema than Die Hard (1988).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 79
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 16/2/2013 1:35:06 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Heh... I've never understood the people who think of the original as anything but a generic 80's action film. One of the better ones, to be sure, but considering the quality of most of them, that's not saying much. It's certainly not some kind of untouchable holy relic. And he was already doing unlikely generic action hero things in that film... but for some reason people think that because he cut his feet on glass, he was an "everyman".

I would only count one moment as unlikely in the film - the roof jump which he undertakes as an absolute last resort and knows how potentially fatal it is. Everything else is quite stripped back - he loses his machine gun and ultimately has to rely on a bit of sticky tape to finish off the last two terrorists. It's also easy to forget just how much of the film is spent on John hiding and scurrying away from a fight while he figures out a plan.

It's this kind of measured, vulnerable approach that makes the original stand out, I think.

And what MC said about DH2.

Agreed. Everything else is easily believable, but every film has to have some kind of iconic death defying moment and you are right, he knows that this is probably it.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 80
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 16/2/2013 1:42:20 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I suppose the issue is that since Die Hard we've had every version of it with other films. You can't put him on a bus (Speed), or a plane (Air Force One/Passenger 57), a boat (Speed 2) etc, so the enclosure gets widened in order to make it seem 'bigger' than the last. Nakatomi Building > Airport > New York City > Eastern Seaboard > Russia.

I know what you are saying, but the films were all based on either novels, short stories or articles... they had ideas behind them.

Die Hard (based on the sequel to Frank Sinatra's The Detective called Nothing Lasts Forever) - lone wolf v terrorists in a skyscraper in order to save his wife/hostages. Creates the subgenre of "Die Hard On A..."

Die Harder - based on a short story called 58 minutes - has to save wife on doomed airliner running out of fuel above Washington DC.

With A Vengeance - again based on a short story called "Simon Says" and this time we have a series of challenges/riddles he has to do with a sidekick.

4.0 - think this was based on an article about cyber attacks (quite current) and the first 30 minutes are gripping as we see transport and communication getting knocked out.

This new movie had none of that. There was no-one in peril, no clever deception/cover story that had Moscow for example in danger. No classic gimmick like Simon Says.

Sadly, it was like Hitman or Call of Duty made into a B- movie.

It was a generic action movie with a character called John McClane and not John McClane of Die Hard.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 81
Not a Bad Day To Die Hard - 16/2/2013 1:49:57 AM   
jeffieccld

<div dir="ltr" style="text-align: left;" trbidi="on">
<a href="http://agooddaytodiehardmovie.metroblog.com/">A Good Day To Die Hard’s</a> sloppy, slam-bang visual style grabs at
whatever action-movie cliché suits the needs of the moment: The
stylization of a Reservoir Dogs-esque slo-mo shot will suddenly give way
to the faux-documentary “realism” of handheld shaky-cam, with a reverse
zoom thrown in every now and then just to remind us how excited we’re
supposed to be. And while plausibility is rarely a priority in movies of
this type, the director tests his audience’s patience by staging stunts
with no attention whatsoever to the laws of physics, so that, for
example, a multistory fall from a building results in little more than a
couple of photogenic dings to the forehead.</div>

Post #: 82
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 16/2/2013 1:50:49 AM   
Private Hudson

By the way here are my ratings for the Die Hard films:

Die Hard 5 stars

Die Harder 4 stars

With a Vengeance 4 stars

4.0 3 stars

A Good Day 2 stars

And here is a challenge for us all...

Can you list all the "Die Hard On A..." movies and then see what is left for Die Hard 6?

I quite like the idea of Ignition and the hero trying to save NASA!

DIE HARD ON A BUS (Speed)

DIE HARD ON A BOAT (Speed 2, Under Siege)

DIE HARD ON A PLANE (Passenger 57, Air Force One, Executive Decision - kind of.. - )

DIE HARD ON A TRAIN (Under Siege 2)

DIE HARD IN A STADIUM/ARENA (Sudden Death)

DIE HARD IN THE WHITE HOUSE (Olympus Has Fallen, White House Down)

There you go for starters.

DIE HARD 6 IDEAS

What about seeing Die Hard in an Old Folks Home?

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 83
RE: John McClane 1988 - 1996. Rest In Peace - 16/2/2013 5:19:18 AM   
Deviation

quote:

I expect a great action film and apparently that is not what this is. It is not just Kim Newman, it is almost all critics who have seen it. Also, according to my Twitter feed, a couple of non-critics think it's shit too. It's disappointing, sure, but have ever considered the possibility that maybe the film is as bad as people are saying?

quote:

Stick with Lincoln mate, lots of talkie bits. When the rest of the human race go to see a Die Hard film out of choice they know EXACTLY what to expect.

Oh my God...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 84
My low expectations meant I quite enjoyed it. - 16/2/2013 10:52:30 AM   
TheMightyBlackout

I found AGDtDH to be way more entertaining than it should be, although this is in spite of Willis, not because of him. The script gives him a few sharp one-liners, but this new version of John McClane doesn't have the likeable charm of the first three iterations.

Is it a great Die Hard movie? No. But it is a good Bruce Willis movie, and those are in short supply these days…

More reviews and rambling like that ^^^ at: >>>WorldOfBlackout.co.uk <<<

Post #: 85
RE: My low expectations meant I quite enjoyed it. - 16/2/2013 11:48:30 AM   
Wild about Wilder

All the money they spend on these films it never fails to amaze me how they always skimp on the Director (this mainly seems to be FOX) I mean there was no backstory to the film the main villan was there & gone, no humor just crash bang wallop.
I think someone spends WAY!!! too much time on his games console.
I've only seen 1 real positive review in the press & that was Alan Frank's 10/10 so that doesn't count (he actually loved Movie 43? )
7/10 as an action flick 4/10 as a Die Hard film

(in reply to TheMightyBlackout)
Post #: 86
RE: My low expectations meant I quite enjoyed it. - 16/2/2013 12:20:00 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

All the money they spend on these films it never fails to amaze me how they always skimp on the Director (this mainly seems to be FOX) I mean there was no backstory to the film the main villan was there & gone, no humor just crash bang wallop.
I think someone spends WAY!!! too much time on his games console.
I've only seen 1 real positive review in the press & that was Alan Frank's 10/10 so that doesn't count (he actually loved Movie 43? )
7/10 as an action flick 4/10 as a Die Hard film

That's actually the best review I've seen so far.

Private Hudson's description of Chernobyl also has me rethinking my original evaluation. I'm glad I have a boxset of the original trilogy. I have 4.0 on it's own, and I'll probably get this but I'll wait till it's on sale.

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 87
RE: My low expectations meant I quite enjoyed it. - 16/2/2013 5:20:19 PM   
Shifty Bench

I have just heard a radio spot for this and the only positive review blurb they gave was '10/10, The Daily Star'......

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 88
RE: My low expectations meant I quite enjoyed it. - 16/2/2013 5:33:17 PM   
DancingClown

Was that from Paul Ross, by any chance...? Is he still allowed to review films?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 89
RE: John McClane 1988 - 1996. Rest In Peace - 16/2/2013 5:33:46 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

I expect a great action film and apparently that is not what this is. It is not just Kim Newman, it is almost all critics who have seen it. Also, according to my Twitter feed, a couple of non-critics think it's shit too. It's disappointing, sure, but have ever considered the possibility that maybe the film is as bad as people are saying?

quote:

Stick with Lincoln mate, lots of talkie bits. When the rest of the human race go to see a Die Hard film out of choice they know EXACTLY what to expect.

Oh my God...

Doesen't even make sense, bet Lincoln grosses far more than this desprate cash in. I agree with much of what Private Benjamin said about the appeal of the first film.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI