Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: A Good Day To Die Hard

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:43:27 PM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Heh... I've never understood the people who think of the original as anything but a generic 80's action film. One of the better ones, to be sure, but considering the quality of most of them, that's not saying much. It's certainly not some kind of untouchable holy relic. And he was already doing unlikely generic action hero things in that film... but for some reason people think that because he cut his feet on glass, he was an "everyman".

Comparing Die Hard, the best action a film, to Die Hard 4, arguably the worst, is the best way to illuminate why Die Hard is so excellent.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 31
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:48:10 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I suppose the issue is that since Die Hard we've had every version of it with other films. You can't put him on a bus (Speed), or a plane (Air Force One/Passenger 57), a boat (Speed 2) etc, so the enclosure gets widened in order to make it seem 'bigger' than the last. Nakatomi Building > Airport > New York City > Eastern Seaboard > Russia.

The sixth one is blatantly going to be One Small Step To Die Hard, in which battles terrorists in space!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 32
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:49:51 PM   
rawlinson

They should put him in a bungalow. Tell me you wouldn't watch Die Hard in a Bungalow.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 33
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:52:21 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

They should put him in a bungalow. Tell me you wouldn't watch Die Hard in a Bungalow.

Sounds like it'd be Home Alone: Die Hard.
We've already had James Bond in Home Alone, so give it a few years.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:52:53 PM   
Shifty Bench

Lest we forget, the infamous pitch meeting where someone tried to pitch to Steven E de Souza (the writer of the first two) 'Die Hard in a building.....'

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 35
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:54:23 PM   
rawlinson

Malcolm McDowell is in the latest Home Alone film. I was really hoping that this time they'd forget to take their Grandfather on holiday and he had to fight off some criminals Alex style.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 36
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:54:53 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Lest we forget, the infamous pitch meeting where someone tried to pitch to Steven E de Souza (the writer of the first two) 'Die Hard in a building.....'

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 37
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:57:39 PM   
MonsterCat

"Hello Wet Bandits, you pair of globby vats of chip oil. Come get a paint can in the yarballs, if you have any yarballs!"

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 14/2/2013 12:58:49 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 12:58:10 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It may just be a legend, but I'd like to think it's true because it's awesome.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 39
John McClane 1988 - 1996. Rest In Peace - 14/2/2013 1:30:52 PM   
onephatnelly

That's all there is to say.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 40
RE: John McClane 1988 - 1996. Rest In Peace - 14/2/2013 1:45:28 PM   
musht

Haven't seen it yet but I don't yet how people can say it killed a franchise. No matter how bad it is it will never taint the original trilogy

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to onephatnelly)
Post #: 41
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 1:47:37 PM   
Dannybohy

REBOOT!!! Justin Beiber!!! DONE

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 42
Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 1:48:30 PM   
andrewgc

Hardly surprising to see Newman's usual review of a potential blockbuster, knocking it back, saying it's run it's course. Probably more predictable than the film itself. Stick with Lincoln mate, lots of talkie bits. When the rest of the human race go to see a Die Hard film out of choice they know EXACTLY what to expect.

Post #: 43
Hoping reviewer is wrong - 14/2/2013 1:57:29 PM   
Hippolyte

So has anybody seen it then? Is it as shit as all that?

Post #: 44
RE: Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 1:59:19 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: andrewgc

Hardly surprising to see Newman's usual review of a potential blockbuster, knocking it back, saying it's run it's course. Probably more predictable than the film itself. Stick with Lincoln mate, lots of talkie bits. When the rest of the human race go to see a Die Hard film out of choice they know EXACTLY what to expect.

And they may well be disappointed... as Newman obviously was.
Lot's of people going to see a film doesn't make it good, the same way no one seeing a film doesn't make it bad.

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 45
RE: John McClane 1988 - 1996. Rest In Peace - 14/2/2013 2:02:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: musht

Haven't seen it yet but I don't yet how people can say it killed a franchise. No matter how bad it is it will never taint the original trilogy

I think they mean killed it as in, their won't be any more after this. I'm going to give the first three this weekend, I think

quote:

I expect a great action film and apparently that is not what this is. It is not just Kim Newman, it is almost all critics who have seen it. Also, according to my Twitter feed, a couple of non-critics think it's shit too. It's disappointing, sure, but have ever considered the possibility that maybe the film is as bad as people are saying?

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 46
RE: Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 2:04:56 PM   
elab49

quote:

Which other reviews do you feel this happened in? Ian Nathan reviewed Lincoln. Mr Newman on the other hand, eg, reviewed Grabbers (4 stars - not really like Lincoln) and Sightseers (4 stars, also not noticeable Lincoln-esque).

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 47
RE: Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 2:06:39 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

When the rest of the human race go to see a Die Hard film out of choice they know EXACTLY what to expect.

An increasingly disappointing series of films?

(in reply to andrewgc)
Post #: 48
RE: Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 2:55:57 PM   
Cool Breeze

I will still be giving it a watch at the weekend.May actually be pleasantly surprised !

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 49
wiadomo - 14/2/2013 3:19:44 PM   
bereski

somebody expected something more?

Post #: 50
RE: Ah, Kim, You Just Don't Get it.. - 14/2/2013 3:41:34 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

I will still be giving it a watch at the weekend.May actually be pleasantly surprised !

And we won't be surprised if you are.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 51
Give Newman a break - 14/2/2013 4:06:00 PM   
Mark Daws

It is easy to jump on the attack the reviewer band wagon, I can even understand how some people defend the film without even seeing it but let's be frank after seeing Willis on tv promoting the film he hardly seems enthused and what are the chances of the fifth film in the series being better than the fourth?
Without thinking about the first three. Face it guys the review is probably pretty close to the mark.

Post #: 52
RE: 2 stars because Fox thought we were stupid - 14/2/2013 4:49:34 PM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: hotvindaloo

Fuck this franchise

Great comment! Compelling and rich.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to hotvindaloo)
Post #: 53
RE: 2 stars because Fox thought we were stupid - 14/2/2013 5:35:03 PM   
directorscut

So Newman gave it 2/5, which is equal to 40%. Does this mean the 12A version is better than the R-rated version, which is currently 13% on rottentomatoes?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 54
RE: 2 stars because Fox thought we were stupid - 14/2/2013 5:43:46 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

So Newman gave it 2/5, which is equal to 40%. Does this mean the 12A version is better than the R-rated version, which is currently 13% on rottentomatoes?

That is actually a good point.....

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 55
RE: 2 stars because Fox thought we were stupid - 14/2/2013 6:20:31 PM   
hotvindaloo

I didn't know I needed your approval on my comments. Thanks for sharing

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 56
Nowhere near as bad as they say... - 14/2/2013 6:35:11 PM   
BudBaxter

Saw it this afternoon. Really enjoyed it.

I guess in cutting the swearing they cut all the best one-liners, because most of the dialogue is quite dull & pedestrian. 90% of the stuff from the trailer is missing. Didn't really notice the lack of blood. An awful lot of people still get shot or blown up.

The action stuff is great - it's worth watching just for the incredibly crunchy car chase. & gigantic helicopters shooting at buildings never gets old for me. The finale's not quite as OTT as Die Hard 4's Truck vs Jet, but it's not far off.

Overall, it's a good ride that rattles along without really pausing for breath (or logic), & it put a big McClane-style smirk on my face.

Die Hard 6 really needs to find a decent villain though. & get Shane Black to write all of McClane's dialogue.

< Message edited by BudBaxter -- 14/2/2013 6:37:16 PM >

(in reply to hotvindaloo)
Post #: 57
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 7:10:46 PM   
R W

In 1988, Bruce Willis who at the time was known for his comedic talent in the TV series Moonlighting, wore a vest and fight robbers posing as terrorists, with all the action taking place in one tall building. Twenty-five years since its initial release, the first Die Hard, which is hailed as the greatest action films of all time and is even a great Christmas flick, spawned a franchise and created a sub-genre of action movies where you had ďDie Hard on a busĒ (Speed) and ďDie Hard on an islandĒ (The Rock).

As the fifth instalment of the series is released on Valentineís Day, John McClane goes all mother Russia. As he travels to Moscow to help his estranged son Jack (Jai Courtney) who is arrested for murder, McClane gets caught in the crossfire of a terrorist plot, in which Jack is secretly an undercover CIA agent.

As the Die Hard franchise progresses over the years, the isolated settings where McClane gets caught in the middle of the action got larger every time to the point itís no longer isolated. Having the character having his next adventure in Russia does offer a few gags regarding McClane being a bit lost in translation, but despite Bruce Willisís witty one-liners, the film itself lacks humour and many other things to make it purely a Die Hard movie.

With a central father-son relationship amidst the chaos, there is whining and chuckling within the McClanes, the chemistry between Willis and Jai Courtney (the menacing hitman from Jack Reacher) lacks an emotional bond like the father-son relationship from Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. As we all know, Die Hard isnít just about guns and explosions (although that can be fun), itís also about character.

With Max Payneís John Moore at the helm and Skip Woods penning the script, expect their B-movie credentials to shine through, with a mindless plot that tries to have a political backdrop with settings like Chernobyl, as well as a main villain that hides in secret unlike Alan Rickmanís iconic Hans Gruber from the first film who establishes him right away and is instantly likeable. While the explosive action sequences are less clunky and CGI-fied than before, the cynical 12A certificate causes the film to be a less bloody spectacle that made that the first few films from the series a blast.

Twenty-five years have passed and the first Die Hard still works to this day, but as a franchise it has run its course as the attempt of topping the spectacle is getting ridiculous. Bruce Willis is an action star who can act and his performance as McClane is always likeable, this is sadly not a good day to die hard.

Post #: 58
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 7:29:53 PM   
Phubbs

Talking of 80's action flicks, check out this list! if you weren't around back then you really missed out on some excellent cinema
http://www.imdb.com/list/OqyevIZGep8/

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 59
RE: A Good Day To Die Hard - 14/2/2013 9:23:10 PM   
mlavagna

I've just come back from seeing it. I wish I'd read the reviews first. How on earth can the studio, the writer and the director get it so horribly wrong? This is a truly pathetic entry to the die hard series. As a huge fan of the first three films I feel extremely disappointed. The story is basically non existent. The dialogue is boring and uninspired. The characters are characterless. The action scenes are far too over the top. The effects look like the next xbox action game. The music is dull. There's just nothing good about it at all.

I urge people NOT to see this at the cinema. By purchasing that ticket you'll be repaying FOX for making this mess of a film and encouraging them to make another. Stay clear of it. It'll only disappoint.

I've heard that they're going to make a 6th one which I'm not against if done properly. They really need to recapture the essence of John McClanes character. He's just an ordinary man who finds himself caught in the middle of an extraordinary situation. He's not a mercenary or a secret agent. He's a RELUCTANT hero. The things he does are not because he wants to but because he has to. At every point in the story, every decision he makes and every action that he takes is done to either save his own skin or the lives of innocent people who're also caught in the situation with him. He doesn't go chasing trouble. He'd much rather just be safe and sound. They must remember that he's a human being, vulnerable, confused and frightened. He has character flaws too. A bit of a wiseguy, he has little respect for authority and his personal relationships aren't great.

My personal preference for DIE HARD VI would be having it based on the book IGNITION, by Kevin J Anderson. Essentially DIE HARD set within the confines of NASAs Kennedy Space Centre. To be clear, the hero does not go to space, which would a a step (or giant leap) too far. The action is grounded on terra firma. If that book was handed to a talented screenwriter for a rewrite and McTiernen was hired to direct we could have a fantastic sequel.

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: A Good Day To Die Hard Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI