Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 3:23:57 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

This is making me giggle like a loon.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO CLICK ME

Thoughts?!

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 3:46:47 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Lampard said the stories were "loosely based on friends and team mates"

There is no way this can be a kiddies book.

"And so EBLJT did his pee-pee in a pint glass cos he had drunk a little bit too much big footballer juice that night."

"And they all lived happily ever after. Apart from Choc-Ice* Coley who nearly crashed his car because daddy wouldn't give him more pocket money".

(* I can use that term, RioFerdy5 tweeted I could)

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 4:04:25 PM   
Sinatra

Why is this funny? good luck to him... I bet they will be good stories too... Frank has an IQ of over 150 by the way.

< Message edited by Sinatra -- 13/2/2013 4:05:04 PM >

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 3
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 4:07:23 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

Lampard said the stories were "loosely based on friends and team mates"

That bit made me laugh the most. I hope there's not a character based on John Terry.

Apparently Theo Walcott has written children's books too! Wtf?!

I look forward to Wayne Rooney's Adventures of Mr Potato Head.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 4
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 4:24:35 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

Why is this funny?

Well, because footballers have a reputation for being uncouth, alcohol-swilling, glamour model-roasting arseholes, propelled through life by bling and their hairy brains, and saddled with extremely limited vocabularies that involve dumbly repeating "At the end of the day..." each time they are interviewed as though it is a mantra.

In other words, not exactly Enid Blyton.

But forgive me for not being familiar with the particulars of Lampard's IQ (it being of no interest to me whatsoever). Still doesn't mean he will be a good children's author.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 5
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 4:41:29 PM   
MonsterCat

I seriously doubt they're all like that, though.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 6
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 4:49:46 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I seriously doubt they're all like that, though.

I'm not suggesting they are. But a few of his team mates (that he is supposedly basing his tales on) have rather salty reputations, hence my mirth.

Also, it is just quite an unusual cross-over ... we're used to them becoming pundits or managers, not morphing into Beatrix Potter.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 5:27:00 PM   
directorscut

Excerpts from the book:

"Little JT kicked one of the boys. He was suspended from school for being a bold boy. JT was sad because he would miss the end of year class photograph. But nothing would stop JT! He turned up in his school uniform and posed in the picture front and centre."

"Another boy brushed against Big DD while he was walking to class. He fell to the ground and started rolling around. He asked the teacher to get an ambulance. When the ambulance arrived he got up and said he was fine."

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 8
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 6:17:56 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Excerpts from the book:

"Little JT kicked one of the boys. He was suspended from school for being a bold boy. JT was sad because he would miss the end of year class photograph. But nothing would stop JT! He turned up in his school uniform and posed in the picture front and centre."

"Another boy brushed against Big DD while he was walking to class. He fell to the ground and started rolling around. He asked the teacher to get an ambulance. When the ambulance arrived he got up and said he was fine."

"Little JT got in an argument with a boy from another school, and it was thought he said such naughty things that it was in the local paper and policemen had to get involved! However the policemen decided to wait to speak to him until after the summer school championship. The school didn't do very well, but the policemen then decided that everything Little JT said in the argument had been a-okay, and everyone laughed and drank ginger beer."

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 9
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 6:34:28 PM   
matty_b

It's not a series of cookbooks?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 10
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 7:32:18 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

Why is this funny? good luck to him... I bet they will be good stories too... Frank has an IQ of over 150 by the way.

Just because he has a supposedly high IQ doesn't automatically qualify him for being an effective author. And good quality children's fiction requires more than just being able to string words together. Is he renowned for his creativity? Does he have an imagination? Although I commend him for saying that reading to his kids is important because there are too many parents who just can't be arsed. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Although the trend of celebrities walking into publishing deals simply because they're a name......

Actually....maybe I shouldn't say anything. The last time I moaned on the forums about celebrities doing this I got roasted by a couple of other posters, who also happened to be mods. By "roasted" I don't mean in the biblical/footballer sense, of course, although it felt no less uncomfortable.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 11
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 8:13:39 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Just because he has a supposedly high IQ doesn't automatically qualify him for being an effective author. And good quality children's fiction requires more than just being able to string words together. Is he renowned for his creativity? Does he have an imagination? Although I commend him for saying that reading to his kids is important because there are too many parents who just can't be arsed. Maybe I'm being too harsh.

Although the trend of celebrities walking into publishing deals simply because they're a name......

Actually....maybe I shouldn't say anything. The last time I moaned on the forums about celebrities doing this I got roasted by a couple of other posters, who also happened to be mods. By "roasted" I don't mean in the biblical/footballer sense, of course, although it felt no less uncomfortable.

Well, for what it's worth, I agree. Publishers seem more interested in shifting stock than in producing high quality material. They know that a big name will garner publicity and that fans will flock to purchase. I can't imagine how frustrating this must be for the talented writers and illustrators out there desperately trying, and failing, to get a book deal. Especially when an unpublished professional footballer is handed a five-book deal straight off the bat.

Every time a celebrity with mediocre writing skills is published, the pool of quality in the market diminishes. We are the ones who suffer as a consequence.

For instance, I bought a couple of David Walliams' children's books as the blurbs were funny and the illustrations reminded me of the masterful Quentin Blake. They weren't terrible but I found his writing to be quite plodding; there was no flare. I genuinely doubt they'd have been published had he not already been well known, never mind that they'd be occupying the bestsellers list.

I've never tackled a Katie Price novel but I dread to think. The woman can barely string a sentence together. (And that is if they aren't all ghost written.)

Who knows; perhaps Lampard will produce excellent children's fiction - if he does I'll be thrilled and happily sing his praises. But I'll also be surprised; the last celebrity to triumph at everything he turned his hand to was Leonardo Da Vinci.

Right ... be gentle.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 12
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 9:00:45 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Excerpts from the book:

"Little JT got in an argument with a boy from another school, and it was thought he said such naughty things that it was in the local paper and policemen had to get involved! However the policemen decided to wait to speak to him until after the summer school championship. The school didn't do very well, but the policemen then decided that everything Little JT said in the argument had been a-okay, and everyone laughed and drank ginger beer."

"And then Little JT didn't call the other boy a black c*nt, but merely repeated back to him what he'd accused Little JT of saying. After that, they all realised how silly they'd been to get it wrong, and ate sherbert lemons and all played happily together!"

Fair play to Lampard I suppose, if he genuinely has a passion for it and a talent for writing for children then fair enough - good on him. I couldn't help laughing though. Calling his main character 'Frankie' did remind me of in Friends, when Joey made attempts to write movies and always named the characters 'Joseph'.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 13
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 13/2/2013 9:31:25 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I couldn't help laughing though. Calling his main character 'Frankie' did remind me of in Friends, when Joey made attempts to write movies and always named the characters 'Joseph'.

It doesn't suggest the most fertile imagination, does it?

Either that or he's got one hell of an ego and this is his version of an autobiography...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 14
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 14/2/2013 1:10:54 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

Yeah same here. His team mates (yes Cashley and Terry) are massive knobs, but i quite like Lampard. He seems like a genuinely nice guy. I also have to echo Monster Cat's sentiments; not all footballers are twats

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 15
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 15/2/2013 2:11:37 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

quote:

Why is this funny?

Although to be fair there's less racism in football....apparently

Post #: 16
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 16/2/2013 8:50:45 PM   
Goodfella

To be honest I don't understand why everyone's taking the piss, if it was John Terry or Ashley Cole I could understand why, but Lampard's always struck me as a proper professional, both on and off the field. Sure he's had a marriage break-up but that's hardly revolutionary these days is it?

He wants to write some children's books from his own experiences of reading stories to his kids, I don't see anything wrong with that, in fact if you put cynicism to bed for one moment, it's quite commendable. I wish him the best of luck with it.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to erasheha1985)
Post #: 17
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 16/2/2013 9:13:39 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

Why is this funny?

Well, because footballers have a reputation for being uncouth, alcohol-swilling, glamour model-roasting arseholes, propelled through life by bling and their hairy brains, and saddled with extremely limited vocabularies that involve dumbly repeating "At the end of the day..." each time they are interviewed as though it is a mantra.

But forgive me for not being familiar with the particulars of Lampard's IQ (it being of no interest to me whatsoever). Still doesn't mean he will be a good children's author.

Wow. Talk about pigeon holing. It's funny what we can get away with, replace the word footballer with the word "Jewish" or "Asian" and all of a sudden your comments are offensive.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 18
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 16/2/2013 9:15:45 PM   
Hood_Man

He'll need something to keep him occupied when his football career ends. I doubt he'll need the money, but he'll need the stimulation.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 19
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 17/2/2013 5:19:26 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

Wow. Talk about pigeon holing. It's funny what we can get away with, replace the word footballer with the word "Jewish" or "Asian" and all of a sudden your comments are offensive.

Oh my God are you fucking SERIOUS? I find that so offensive and incredulous I can hardly gather my senses to respond.

"It's funny what we can get away with"? My words are fine. Yours are disgusting.

I referenced a common and accepted cultural stereotype of a celebrity profession. I did not attack a race, gender, sexuality, religion or physical dis/ability, which is illegal. The comparison is redundant. The inference that I would discriminate against a minority because I referenced a career-based stereotype Is OFFENSIVE in the EXTREME.

I sincerely hope that you modify your comments a.s.a.p. - I am a decent person and will not be implicated in ANY way with anti-Semitism or racism, or prejudice of any sort.

< Message edited by Cloud Cuckoo -- 17/2/2013 5:31:57 AM >

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 20
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 17/2/2013 8:55:24 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

Oh my God are you fucking SERIOUS? I find that so offensive and incredulous I can hardly gather my senses to respond.

"It's funny what we can get away with"? My words are fine. Yours are disgusting.

I referenced a common and accepted cultural stereotype of a celebrity profession. I did not attack a race, gender, sexuality, religion or physical dis/ability, which is illegal. The comparison is redundant. The inference that I would discriminate against a minority because I referenced a career-based stereotype Is OFFENSIVE in the EXTREME.

I sincerely hope that you modify your comments a.s.a.p. - I am a decent person and will not be implicated in ANY way with anti-Semitism or racism, or prejudice of any sort.

You've actually only gone on to further prove my point. I didn't say you were racist, I said it's funny that people, (not just you) feel that stereotypes such as that in your post are acceptable because it isn't a race, religion, or gender being mentioned. That somehow because (in this case) footballers are being discussed it's ok to discriminate. That because (to reference your above post) what you are doing isn't illegal it's somehow still acceptable. As I say you've based this on an incorrect stereotype about footballers that you feel is acceptable, yet no doubt if this was a certain stereotype about a certain race being rather good with numeracy you'd be (quite rightly) up in arms and not basing any opinion on it.

To be prejudice or to discriminate means to make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, in this case stating that all footballers are idiots, only care about bling, and they can't and shouldn't write books, and any attempt to do so is laughable. You then go on to admit you know nothing of Frank Lampard and based this on your ill perceptions of footballers.

By the by I couldn't really care less if Frank Lampard is writing children's books, and I wasn't offended by your post either, I was merely using your post to make an observation.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 17/2/2013 9:00:29 AM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

Post #: 21
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 17/2/2013 5:02:20 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

You've actually only gone on to further prove my point. I didn't say you were racist, I said it's funny that people, (not just you) feel that stereotypes such as that in your post are acceptable because it isn't a race, religion, or gender being mentioned. That somehow because (in this case) footballers are being discussed it's ok to discriminate. That because (to reference your above post) what you are doing isn't illegal it's somehow still acceptable. As I say you've based this on an incorrect stereotype about footballers that you feel is acceptable, yet no doubt if this was a certain stereotype about a certain race being rather good with numeracy you'd be (quite rightly) up in arms and not basing any opinion on it.

To be prejudice or to discriminate means to make an unjust or prejudicial distinction in the treatment of different categories of people, in this case stating that all footballers are idiots, only care about bling, and they can't and shouldn't write books, and any attempt to do so is laughable. You then go on to admit you know nothing of Frank Lampard and based this on your ill perceptions of footballers.

By the by I couldn't really care less if Frank Lampard is writing children's books, and I wasn't offended by your post either, I was merely using your post to make an observation.

At no point did I state that all footballers are idiots, that they only care about bling and that they "can't and shouldn't write books". I explained that the notion of professional footballers becoming children's authors was comical because of their reputation, which I then described - scroll up and you will see.

People develop preconceived notions based on precedents. In this instance, the stereotype of footballers has arisen from antics widely reported in the press, e.g. the notorious 'dentist's chair' photographs preceding Euro '96, which were even referenced by the England team in a goal celebration during the tournament, thus endorsing their own stereotype. I have never stated that this applies to all footballers; indeed scroll up and you will see I have already made this distinction.

Frank Lampard stated he was basing his children's stories on "friends and team mates". Given some of his team mates have been in the press for less than reputable behaviour, I found this comical. It wasn't based on unfounded prejudice (thanks) but on reported facts.

When it comes to groups of people suffering from unjust discrimination, I don't think professional footballers are the most in need of defence. Why not take this over to the Oscar Pistorius thread, where people are making jokes about an accused murderer based on his disability?

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 22
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 12:42:46 PM   
horribleives

quote:

quote:

At no point did I state that all footballers are idiots, that they only care about bling and that they "can't and shouldn't write books". I explained that the notion of professional footballers becoming children's authors was comical because of their reputation, which I then described - scroll up and you will see.

People develop preconceived notions based on precedents. In this instance, the stereotype of footballers has arisen from antics widely reported in the press, e.g. the notorious 'dentist's chair' photographs preceding Euro '96, which were even referenced by the England team in a goal celebration during the tournament, thus endorsing their own stereotype. I have never stated that this applies to all footballers; indeed scroll up and you will see I have already made this distinction.

Frank Lampard stated he was basing his children's stories on "friends and team mates". Given some of his team mates have been in the press for less than reputable behaviour, I found this comical. It wasn't based on unfounded prejudice (thanks) but on reported facts.

When it comes to groups of people suffering from unjust discrimination, I don't think professional footballers are the most in need of defence. Why not take this over to the Oscar Pistorius thread, where people are making jokes about an accused murderer based on his disability?

I don't think they were endorsing it, I always thought they were taking the piss out of the massive over-reaction of the press to a relatively harmless incident and sending a 'fuck you' to the papers who, as in 1990, were hell-bent on causing trouble and derailing the team's chances in the tournament.
Basically, the tabloids have a lot to answer for when it comes to stereotypes about modern footballers.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

Post #: 23
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 2:05:33 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

ORIGINAL: Goodfella

To be honest I don't understand why everyone's taking the piss, if it was John Terry or Ashley Cole I could understand why, but Lampard's always struck me as a proper professional, both on and off the field. Sure he's had a marriage break-up but that's hardly revolutionary these days is it?

He wants to write some children's books from his own experiences of reading stories to his kids, I don't see anything wrong with that, in fact if you put cynicism to bed for one moment, it's quite commendable. I wish him the best of luck with it.

Exactly how I feel... I think it's a lovely idea actually... and I still don't understand the piss taking. Each to their own.

CC must think all footballers are complete morons.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 24
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 2:52:37 PM   
erasheha1985

quote:

quote:

Exactly how I feel... I think it's a lovely idea actually... and I still don't understand the piss taking. Each to their own.

I agree we shouldn't mock poor Frank, at least wait until he's shot his girlfriend to death before taking the piss.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 25
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 3:26:25 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

quote:

I don't understand the comparisons to Enid Blyton either.

Taking it well out of context there aren't we? He's probably going to write one or two series of very light-hearted books aimed mainly at kids who like football.

I don't think he's trying to win a Booker Prize.

< Message edited by Goodfella -- 18/2/2013 3:35:13 PM >

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 26
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 3:29:19 PM   
matty_b

I don't think they give the Turner prize for books, Goodfella.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 27
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 3:34:48 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I don't think they give the Turner prize for books, Goodfella.

It might be a book with pictures. You know what I meant. ;)

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 28
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 7:46:23 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

quote:

I don't understand the comparisons to Enid Blyton either.

Taking it well out of context there aren't we? He's probably going to write one or two series of very light-hearted books aimed mainly at kids who like football.

I don't think he's trying to win a Booker Prize.

Oh for crying out loud!! How many times do I have to repeat myself, or are you just not reading any of the above??

a) Lampard said he was basing his stories on "friends and team mates" - given his team mates include John Terry and Ashley Cole, I found this funny. They are hardly fodder for children's fiction.

b) Going from being a professional footballer to being a children's author is quite a surprising and unexpected career change - they have nothing in common. We're used to seeing footballers become pundits or managers. Enid Blyton was simply the first children's author to pop into my head, hence the example.

I never suggested at any point he was aiming for the Orange Prize for Children's Fiction! And I have now stated several times that I do not think that all footballers are morons. I am a football supporter myself. However the stereotype exists, so I referenced it.

Jesus Christ please let me not have to explain this again.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Goodfella)
Post #: 29
RE: Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) - 18/2/2013 9:00:51 PM   
homersimpson_esq

CC, the problem here is that football fans are even less intelligent than footballers.

*lights touch paper*

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> Frank Lampard writes about magic footballs (really) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI