Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

An interesting thing I have learned today is...

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> An interesting thing I have learned today is... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 3:47:18 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

...that the earliest recorded instance of the word 'fuck' was by a Scot, the makar (poet) William Dunbar. This predates any recorded instance in English language form.

Makes me proud, so it does. *sniff*

What interesting nugget have you learned today?

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 8:05:27 AM   
gingerdaniel

It's much colder in Aberdeen, where i have to spend the week, than it is in my native Southampton! Even the radiator's not doing its job.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 11:04:58 AM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

It's much colder in Aberdeen, where i have to spend the week, than it is in my native Southampton! Even the radiator's not doing its job.

It's 'fresh'. We're all North Sea tigers up here.

< Message edited by Sway -- 13/2/2013 11:05:42 AM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 3
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 11:33:27 AM   
steffols

I've known this for a while but told my other half only last night and it amazed him.

Cherie Blair is a distant relative to John Wilkes Booth, the man who assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 4
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 3:14:21 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols

Cherie Blair is a distant relative to John Wilkes Booth, the man who assassinated Abraham Lincoln.

Is that right? Good one!

I have a related nugget: John Wilkes Booth's brother (Edwin Booth) saved Abraham Lincoln's son's (Robert Todd Lincoln) life. It was shortly before Lincoln was assassinated and he apparently saved him from being squashed on a railway after overcrowding knocked him off the station platform and onto the track.

Also, Tom Hanks is related to Abraham Lincoln through the president's mother. He is his third cousin, four times removed.

That would have made a good episode of Who Do You Think You Are...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 5
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 4:18:00 PM   
sharkboy

Actor Robert Wuhl did a couple of shows for HBO called "Assume the Position", in which in front of an audience of history students, he used lessons from American history and its great figures to support certain propositions.† Having read that back, it sounds awfully dull, but it was in fact one of the best shows I've seen on HBO - informative, interesting and incredibly funny.†

One show was all about strange facts about US presidents, and the one that stands out (remember, this was around 2008/2009) related to President Franklin Pierce, whose rise to the highest position in the land was as unexpected as it was meteoric.† He was a very minor player in teh Democratic party who came to widespread attention when his BFF Nathaniel Hawthorne (the biggest writer of the day) decided to write his biograpy, a tale†which didn't let the facts get in the way of a good story.† Pierce went from a bumbling incompetent with a famously short temper to a war hero and national treasure pretty much overnight and ended up with both the party nomination and the presidency on the back of a book of lies.† He was so bad as a president that he remains the only incumbent not to get his party's nomination for a second term, and once, rather than engage in rhetoric and debate with an opponent, pulled a piece and shot him instead!† So, the coincidence?† Well, if you trace Pierce's lineage up to the 20th century, you find a certain Barbara Pierce, who when aged 20 married a sailor on shore leave called George Herbert Walker Bush and later gave birth to the most incompetent president since his illustrious ancestor

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 14/2/2013 9:25:59 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

Post #: 6
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 5:00:57 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

That is brilliant, Sharky! Love it.

Barbara Bush must be the person most entrenched in presidency ever without actually having been one. Descended from one, married to one, gives birth to one. Crazy.

Keep these fascinating tidbits coming, peeps...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 7
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 5:39:08 PM   
MOTH

The Blue People of Troublesome Creek were a family in Kentucky who suffered from hereditary methaemoglobinemia.
They had an enzyme deficiency which meant they could not convert Methaemoglobin to haemoglobin efficiently.
Methaemoglobin cannot carry oxygen, so their blood was generally deoxygenated, resulting in dark brown blood.
Externally this meant they had blue skin.
Fact.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 8
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 8:33:58 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Mad - does that explain The Blue Man Group then?

The collective noun for a group of crows is a 'murder'.

There are lots of strange and wonderful animal collective nouns HERE.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 9
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 8:39:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

quote:

I nearly got drowned going to the gym earlier, and it's only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 10
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 9:48:13 PM   
Sway

quote:

quote:

quote:

I nearly got drowned going to the gym earlier, and it's only a 5 minute walk from the hotel.

You're not staying in the Ibis are you?

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 11
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 9:58:07 PM   
gingerdaniel

No, that'd be like a 1 minute walk. I'm in the Premier Inn. I'd ask if you want to entertain me tomorrow evening, but it's valentines, and you don't know me!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 12
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 10:09:29 PM   
Sway

quote:

No, that'd be like a 1 minute walk. I'm in the Premier Inn. I'd ask if you want to entertain me tomorrow evening, but it's valentines, and you don't know me!

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ha, I was going to say, it's less than a second to get between the Ibis and Pure Gym.

Well unfortunately/fortunately for you I am not in town just now as I am recovering at my parents following my op. I can't really move just now nevermind entertain a stranger on Valentine's day. But it could have been nice.

Post #: 13
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 10:24:11 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ha, I was going to say, it's less than a second to get between the Ibis and Pure Gym.

Well unfortunately/fortunately for you I am not in town just now as I am recovering at my parents following my op. I can't really move just now nevermind entertain a stranger on Valentine's day. But it could have been nice.

Ok, i'll be the lonely one wandering the streets, looking for a table for one in a restaurant, surrounded by couples. While my girlfriend's at home nearly 600 miles away.

Get well soon.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 14
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 13/2/2013 10:29:25 PM   
Shifty Bench

I leaned two things-

Uma Thurmanís dad, Robert Thurman, was the first American to be ordained a Tibetan Buddhist monk

and

In 1938, Time Magazine's man of the year was one Adolf Hitler.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 15
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 12:11:44 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

Everyone always assumes Man of the Year is a positive thing, but its just the person who has had the biggest impact, though in recent years they have shied away from being too controversial - not giving it to Osama bin Laden in 2001 for example. More importantly, did you know they gave it to "You the creator of original content of the internet" in 2006? It is still on my CV.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 16
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 1:01:14 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

quote:

Everyone always assumes Man of the Year is a positive thing

I didn't say it was, I just didn't know he was once it. It was a thing I found interesting that I learned today

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 17
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 1:03:06 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

quote:

quote:

I didn't say it was, I just didn't know he was once it. It was a thing I found interesting that I learned today

I know I was just saying, people are usually shocked about the Hitler thing, but it makes sense.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 18
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 1:06:11 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I know I was just saying, people are usually shocked about the Hitler thing, but it makes sense.

It does.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 19
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 8:17:46 AM   
gingerdaniel

Antarctica is the largest desert in the world.

Post #: 20
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 14/2/2013 8:50:19 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Actor Robert Wuhl did a couple of shows for HBO called "Assume the Position", in which in front of an audience of history students, he used lessons from American history and its great figures to support certain propositions.† Having read that back, it sounds awfully dull, but it was in fact one of the best shows I've seen on HBO - informative, interesting and incredibly funny.†

And I've found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7m1_eedCE Really, you need to watch this if you enjoy an alternative take on history

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 21
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 15/2/2013 10:18:28 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

quote:

And I've found it! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH7m1_eedCE Really, you need to watch this if you enjoy an alternative take on history

I'm watching this right now, very interesting stuff.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 22
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 15/2/2013 4:36:44 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

quote:

Thanks for sharing that, that was indeed most interesting!

I really liked his story about English longbow archers at Agincourt having coined the middle finger gesture and it's meaning of "Pluck [fuck] you" - I'd love to believe that's true! I'll certainly be passing it on anyway.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 23
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 16/2/2013 6:35:07 PM   
sanchia

The Methuselah Tree is a tree grown from 2,000 year old seeds found on an archaeological dig. Before 2005 the tree was extinct.

(Not to be confused with Methuselah the 4,841 year old Bristlecone pine).

< Message edited by sanchia -- 16/2/2013 6:37:03 PM >

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 24
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 17/2/2013 4:12:55 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

These facts are all brilliant! Please keep the great and random information coming :-)

John Wayne's dog, when he was a child, was called Duke. The dog was known by local fire services as Little Duke, and John Wayne (as he wasn't known then) as Big Duke.

He literally got his nickname from his dog, like Indiana Jones.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 25
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 17/2/2013 9:28:42 AM   
Hood_Man

The Large Hadron Collider was built for the specific purpose of whitening Tom Cruise' teeth.

Post #: 26
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 17/2/2013 9:48:44 AM   
sanchia

Turritopsis nutricula (a jellyfish) is effectively immortal in that once it has matured it is able to revert back to a juvenile stage and then mature again etc. in an eternal cycle meaning that it never reaches a stage where it grows old.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 27
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 18/2/2013 9:58:37 AM   
SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

quote:

Thanks for sharing that, that was indeed most interesting!

I really liked his story about English longbow archers at Agincourt having coined the middle finger gesture and it's meaning of "Pluck [fuck] you" - I'd love to believe that's true! I'll certainly be passing it on anyway.

Unfortunately, this is thought to be an urban myth and was originally associated with the two fingers gesture.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

Post #: 28
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 18/2/2013 2:07:25 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

Unfortunately, this is thought to be an urban myth and was originally associated with the two fingers gesture.

Yep, although it was originally attributed to the English archers giving their French counterparts the two fingered salute at the Battle of Crecy, this has since been debunked, largely because the only body part the enemy tended to remove on capture was the head, not the fingers - if you had no worth as a hostage, you were just executed!  Still, to be fair to Robert Wuhl his summing up of the middle-finger tale was "Is this true?  Who cares!"

WWLD?

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 29
RE: An interesting thing I have learned today is... - 18/2/2013 4:04:06 PM   
jonson

£4545 + VAT is £5454.
Not that interesting, but it did make me go a bit Wow.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> An interesting thing I have learned today is... Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI