Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Woman jumps in a lava river

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Woman jumps in a lava river Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Woman jumps in a lava river - 12/2/2013 10:18:56 PM   
maligno

Hi there.
This is my first post, so please be patient.
I am trying to remember a movie filmed in black & white. It is set in an island probably in the Pacific (or maybe in the Indian) ocean.
The plot begins with a Western guy (I guess American) arriving at an island. The actor I thought it was Tony Curtis, but surfing through his movies I do not find it, but it must be very close. Soon this guy fells in love with a native woman, that, if my memory do not mistakes should resemble a lot like Jane Russell, I mean, brunette, long hair, a bit curly, big eyes, etc.
Soon they get married but it seems she can not have kids so she suggests his husband to take another woman in order to have children. He refuses and the movie goes on. Sometime in the movie, the volcano becomes active and the woman, in order to "calm the gods" has to sacrifice herself jumping in the lava river. The movie ends with the man leaving the island by boat.
I guess the movie should be a 40s or 50s movies as it was in black and white. I watched only once at home many, many, many years ago.
If somebaody can help, thank you.
M.
Post #: 1
RE: Woman jumps in a lava river - 12/2/2013 10:27:39 PM   
elab49

We'd normally ask you to repost in the thread for these - it's in Movie Musings, Name that Film (it's stickied near the top of the front page)

But I think you're looking for Bird of Paradise.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to maligno)
Post #: 2
RE: Woman jumps in a lava river - 25/3/2013 7:50:54 AM   
siegfried

Bird Of Paradise seems right to me - it was directed by King Vidor, and starred Dolores Del Rio and Joel McRae.
It was remade in the early 50's by Delmer Daves, with Debra Paget, Louis Jourdan and Jeff Chandler.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Golden Oldies >> Woman jumps in a lava river Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI