Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I can't get no sleep

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> I can't get no sleep Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 1:21:33 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Does anyone else here ever suffer from insomnia? I suspect it's something I may have inherited from my mother, who goes to bed at around 4.30am each day. Supposing it is in anyway genetic, that is.

I have a discernible pattern. Sunday night, I find I cannot fall asleep as I lie in bed thinking about work the next day and the things I need to do. Monday night, I cannot switch off and so am awake again, generally for hours. Tuesday night, ditto. Wednesday night, ditto. Thursday morning, I am so tired it is almost impossible to get up. I'll usually sleep okay that night, but again really suffer when it's time to rise on Friday morning.

Saturday night I usually have a couple of drinks and that helps ease me to sleep.

It's hugely frustrating, particularly as I really love my sleep (I am so not a morning person). I don't know how to stop thinking and switch off. It's not that I hate my job or really dread it; I just go over things in my head when I should be emptying it. I'm prone to anxiety as well which doesn't help. By the end of the week I am like a zombie, yawning continuously at my desk and struggling to concentrate.

Have you ever had this? Did anything help, save inordinate amounts of Nytol? Counting sheep doesn't work, neither does reading or watching television.

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 1:25:18 AM   
Rhubarb

I get it now and then, I just try and read or do something to pass the time till my body is ready to drop out. I suspect mine is caused by my insanely erratic sleep pattern, so its a small price to pay

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 1:32:15 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

I suspect mine is caused by my insanely erratic sleep pattern

Yes that makes sense; when left to my own devices I form terrible sleeping patterns and become nocturnal, which does not help. However I work a standard 8.30-17.00 Monday to Friday, so it's only when I am sick or on holiday I can fall into that.

I probably sleep too much at the weekends but by that point I'm so bloody knackered I have to.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 3
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 2:04:03 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

Does anyone else here ever suffer from insomnia?

Used to. It really is a motherfucker.

I also used to suffer from the occasional bout of sleep paralysis, which is fucking scary.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 4
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 2:44:00 AM   
Olaf

I don't suffer from insomnia, but when I'm writing/working I get annoyingly productive at 2am after spending the whole evening lazing around. So if I have to do something I can often go to bed at 6 or 7, or just not go to bed at all and just carry onto the next day. when I do get to sleep I end up way oversleeping, which sucks.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 5
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 3:17:19 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I also used to suffer from the occasional bout of sleep paralysis, which is fucking scary.

Jesus, what is that?? From the name I can sort of guess. That sounds fucking horrific. Suddenly insomnia doesn't seem so bad.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

When I do get to sleep I end up way oversleeping, which sucks.

Yes I can totally sympathise with this. It's one extreme or the other with me!

It's strange how oversleeping can knock one for six almost as much as undersleeping. You'd think that the more your batteries were recharged the better. But I suppose that, like seemingly everything in life, one must exercise moderation.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6
RE: I can't get no sleep - 12/2/2013 12:13:13 PM   
paulyboy

I suffer from sleepless nights, but not necessarily from insomnia in the strictest sense.

About 6 years ago I started getting heart palpitations (benign so I'm told, had every cardiac test under the sun done), the resulting anxiety from those started manifesting itself as what I can only describe as nocturnal panic attacks. I'm fast asleep (usually for no more than an hour at this point) and all of a sudden I bolt awake in a blind panic, adrenaline pumping, heart racing and sweating my balls off. Again, tests done, I'm fine, anxiety was diagnosed.

It's a nightmare, it can happen once, or twenty five times a night, but some weeks it's absolute torture, I'm like the walking dead for days, until I'm so tired I literally just pass out after work one night and sleep solid for 12 hours.

I used to have Night Terrors up until the age of about 15 as well, which the doctors thought was some sort of eplilepsy based neurological disorder, now they were fucking scary!

I'm not too bad at the moment thankfully, I find listening to an audiobook or something on the iPod as I drift off helps immeasurably, as does plenty of exercise.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 7
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 2:51:34 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

That sounds awful, I truly sympathise. I've never had a night terror but I get some really fucked up graphic nightmares that make me cry upon waking and stay with me for days. Thinking about it now, that may be a factor in my mind's reluctance to switch off and let my body sleep.

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

About 6 years ago I started getting heart palpitations (benign so I'm told, had every cardiac test under the sun done), the resulting anxiety from those started manifesting itself as what I can only describe as nocturnal panic attacks. I'm fast asleep (usually for no more than an hour at this point) and all of a sudden I bolt awake in a blind panic, adrenaline pumping, heart racing and sweating my balls off. Again, tests done, I'm fine, anxiety was diagnosed.

I get that too!! (Well, apart from the balls part, not having any.) It's awful!! I have to put the light on and am scared and panicking; there is a huge feeling of unease and fear and I don't know why. Sometimes I think there's something in my room. It is dreadful, in the truest sense of the word.

Yeesh, who knew simply sleeping could be so traumatic.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 8
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 3:08:56 AM   
MonsterCat

Sleep paralysis is basically waking up in the middle of night and not being unable to move your body or your limbs. And You can't scream or say: "dude wtf man" because you can't speak.

Yeah, it's scary and for me it became something of a regular thing. It happens to
me occasionally but not as much as it used to.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 13/2/2013 3:09:33 AM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 9
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 3:39:58 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Sleep paralysis is basically waking up in the middle of night and not being unable to move your body or your limbs. And You can't scream or say: "dude wtf man" because you can't speak.

Yeah, it's scary and for me it became something of a regular thing. It happens to
me occasionally but not as much as it used to.

That is utterly horrific. Dear God.

I wonder what causes it; is it neurological or in some way triggered by anxiety? What a frightening and horrible condition - you have my sympathy. Thank goodness it happens only occasionally.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 12:43:52 PM   
KnightofZyryab

I used to have really bad insomnia when I was at secondary school, which was awful because I could not sleep before 1 or 2 AM most of the time and eventually was reprimanded for being constantly late. It's subsided relatively speaking as I got older but I still struggle to sleep on normal work days - Sunday nights are awful for me because I have to get up at 7 no matter what, and most off the time I struggle to sleep before 1AM, meaning I'm exhausted by Monday evening, and as a consequence for the rest of the week because I get little chance to make up the sleep debt. University was perfect for me because most of the time I could stay up till 3 or 4 AM which is when I naturally get tired - I will however never adapt to a normal working day because my body is just nor wired that way.

Thankfully I work a combination of day and night shifts so from Monday to Tuesday I get a bit more time to recover, but even then I suffer reasonably constantly from waking up at random intervals during the night. For example last night I went to sleep around 1:30AM but woke up half an hour later. The night before it was the same thing and on normal work days (9AM) this really weird thing happens where I go to sleep and wake up 15 minutes later for absolutely no reason. Not pleasant, and by Friday I feel almost sick from the interrupted and irregular sleep (on Friday I have to be in at 9AM after working a night shift the night before). Added to that, I'm one of those funny people who get a seriously bad lull after eating lunch, and if I don't get a short afternoon nap it's likely I'll have a headache for the rest of the day.

So yeah, me and sleep don't get on particularly well.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

Post #: 11
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 9:42:25 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

I usually get the sleep I need, but lately my baby has been moving like crazy inside my tummy, waking me up at nights.

(in reply to KnightofZyryab)
Post #: 12
RE: I can't get no sleep - 13/2/2013 10:45:10 PM   
target

I always sleep with an audio commentary on in the background. I watch it for about ten minutes then turn over and just listen.
The Simpsons ones are good for this. Works like a charm.

We're not retreating we're advancing in another direction

Thanks for the AV darthbane.

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 13
RE: I can't get no sleep - 15/2/2013 4:19:35 PM   
Fanboyslayer

I have suffered on and off over the years. I too have a mind that won't shut up. Having a couple of kids has solved that for now it seems as my problem these days seems to be staying awake! It's dull but the only thing I can suggest to help is routine. Don't sleep in get up the same time everyday more or less. Have a kind of chill down thing at the end of the day like a bath or yoga or some such. Whatever helps you relax. No caffeine after 3 I think they say. I've heard things like no TV in the bedroom but I have to say that helps me drift off often. I find silence more distracting weirdly. Also don't fight it. If you can't sleep do something boring like file your statements, organise your sock draw anything not to stimulating then go back to bed and try again. Don't keep looking at the clock that just makes it way worse I've found. If you have your alarm set it really doesn't matter what time it is so don't torture yourself Hope you get a good nights sleep soon.

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to target)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> I can't get no sleep Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI