Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Muse - yay or nay?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Muse - yay or nay? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 7:28:19 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

What do you reckon?

I own all their albums. I like their music. It is admittedly not terribly subtle, and prone to be grandiose/cheesy, but they are talented musicians and I rather like the classical slant they bring to some of their songs. I find their melodies and chord combinations pleasing to the ear. And Bellamy has certainly got a good pair of lungs; no one could fairly contest that.

HOWEVER...

I find their lyrics abysmal, really meaningless. Bellamy's vocal gymnastics can be a bit, well, hysterical, to the point he sounds like Thom Yorke in the midst of a panic attack. Rein it in a bit, man! And why does he have to slide around the stage on his knees as though possessed by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix? Hendrix could pull it off; he just looks like a dick.

I can't decide if they are good or a bit rubbish. And I'm always a bit embarrassed to admit I like them, which suggests the latter and takes any admiration into guilty pleasure territory.

What say you?

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 7:52:41 PM   
AxlReznor

Everything they did was great, until The 2nd Law which has some good stuff, and some complete bollocks on it. So yay!

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 8:40:28 PM   
Hobbitonlass

YAY!

Can't wait to see them at the Emirates stadium at the end of May

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 9:54:01 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

YAY!

Can't wait to see them at the Emirates stadium at the end of May

Yeah I'm going to their Manchester gig at the beginning of July, they are supposed to be phenomenal live. Maybe they'll fully win me round then.

I still think their lyrics are guff though.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 9:54:45 PM   
Mister Coe

I really like Muse, one of the few bands who got better with every album UNTIL the fifth.

I disagree With Axl, I think that The 2nd Law is a real return to form, the previous album was a disappointment, to me at least.

I grew up listening to Rush and Queen and I love the fact that there is a band out there who are playing stadiums and arenas with that same over-the-top, truly mental spirit.

Say what now?

Post #: 5
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 10:06:50 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

I really like Muse, one of the few bands who got better with every album UNTIL the fifth.

I disagree With Axl, I think that The 2nd Law is a real return to form, the previous album was a disappointment, to me at least.

I really enjoyed The Resistence, especially I Belong To You and the Exogenesis numbers (particularly the first, which is quite beautiful). I like The 2nd Law as well.

Absolution is probably my favourite though; that gets played a lot on the old iPod.

quote:

I grew up listening to Rush and Queen and I love the fact that there is a band out there who are playing stadiums and arenas with that same over-the-top, truly mental spirit.

I can really hear the influence of Queen in a lot of their work.

< Message edited by Cloud Cuckoo -- 11/2/2013 10:48:23 PM >

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 11/2/2013 10:40:12 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo
they are supposed to be phenomenal live.

They are, I saw them at Wembley a couple of years back. Awesome!

quote:

especially I Belong To You

One of my favs along with Feeling Good and New Born.

I reckon Showbiz is my most played album

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 7
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 12:27:25 AM   
Mister Coe

Yes, The Resistance was the name of the fifth album! I'd forgotten that when I posted my last message!

Uprising and the Exogenesis trilogy (especially Part 3) are great but I didn't think TR was as good as BLACK HOLES AND REVELATIONS, their best album, IMO.

Say what now?

Post #: 8
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 12:39:13 AM   
rich

I like Origin of Symmetry and Absolution. The rest is hit and miss.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 9
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 12:51:51 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

Yes, The Resistance was the name of the fifth album! I'd forgotten that when I posted my last message!

I had to look at my iPod!

I struggle to remember a lot of their album/song titles, actually, which isn't a good sign in itself. Unlike, say, Radiohead and The Beatles, whose works are tattooed onto my brain.

quote:

I didn't think TR was as good as BLACK HOLES AND REVELATIONS, their best album, IMO.

That one didn't grab me as much. Starlight is one of my favourite songs, Supermassive Black Hole is great and Knights of Cydonia is positively epic, but as a whole I was never compelled to listen to it as much as their other albums.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 10
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 1:01:39 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

This, both really great albums - OOS particularly reminds me of my teenage years - but the last three records have been a depressing slide into pompous silliness. though I really like Knights of Cydonia, partly because it was conscious of its own OTTness unlike the material after that (see the video) and partly because it reminds me of Telstar by The Tornados which is one of the best songs ever ever.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 11
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 1:16:01 AM   
Rhubarb

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 8:04:19 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

This, both really great albums - OOS particularly reminds me of my teenage years - but the last three records have been a depressing slide into pompous silliness. though I really like Knights of Cydonia, partly because it was conscious of its own OTTness unlike the material after that (see the video) and partly because it reminds me of Telstar by The Tornados which is one of the best songs ever ever.

You don't think United States Of Eurasia was aware of its own OTTness? Apparently they were rolling about with laughter as they were listening to playbacks of that song.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 13
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 12:23:46 PM   
great_badir

I must admit I've not really stuck with them, but I don't mind them.

I used to see them quite often in the 90s where they had a fairly regular slot at the Fleece and Firkin (a tiny pub-cum-concert venue) in Bristol, where they'd invariably be supporting much bigger acts (at the time, anyway - 99% of those acts have now disappeared and are long forgotten, but Muse have obviously gone the other way). They weren't too shabby then.

I applaud that they are trying to make mainstream pop more technical, however they need a drummer who is technically as proficient a musician as Matt Bellamy and Chris Wolstenholme. Unfortunately, Dominic Howard isn't.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 14
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 1:07:59 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Pretty much my sentiments, too.

I like Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz, but I find they're becoming less and less interesting as time goes by. I think it's because they've found a formula and are sticking to it as opposed to pushing themselves out of their comfort zone.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 12/2/2013 1:08:44 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 15
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 1:34:43 PM   
jcthefirst

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Pretty much my sentiments, too.

I like Origin of Symmetry and Showbiz, but I find they're becoming less and less interesting as time goes by. I think it's because they've found a formula and are sticking to it as opposed to pushing themselves out of their comfort zone.

Listen to Panic Station off The 2nd Law.

In fact, all of The 2nd Law. It's not mindblowingly different or anything but it was the last thing I'd expected from a Muse album.

I didn't care for The Resistance.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 16
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 12/2/2013 5:47:20 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Thumbs down. Awful. Fucking awful.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 17
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 13/2/2013 12:17:35 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

quote:

Yes, THAT'S the song that's KNIGHTS... reminded me of! It's been bothering me since I first heard it!

Say what now?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 18
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 13/2/2013 12:26:26 AM   
Olaf

I'm pretty sure Matt Bellamy's dad was the guitarist in The Tornados for that matter. The Tornados > Muse.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 19
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 13/2/2013 12:50:50 AM   
ElephantBoy

Yay when I was 18, very much Nay now.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 13/2/2013 1:32:45 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

I'm pretty sure Matt Bellamy's dad was the guitarist in The Tornados for that matter.

Oh dear - ripping off the old man, eh? For shame.

It's interesting seeing the variety of opinions thus far, from those who love them to those who just like their early work to those who think they're, well, keech.

Their sound has evolved - which explains why some dislike their more recent output - but not hugely; it's hardly Pablo Honey to The King of Limbs. They aren't the most experimental act in the world; they don't strive to break new ground. Perhaps they don't wish to alienate their fans, or perhaps they just like the niche they have.

What's more, I can't think of one single song of theirs to really mark them, to call a classic. They are probably most admired for Feeling Good, obviously not their own song, but which was voted greatest cover ever (scandalous imho).

They're talented, but they'll never be truly great.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 21
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 15/2/2013 8:57:15 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

I think they're fun, but throwaway. Like Elephant Boy I thought they were brilliant when I was about 17/18 but not so much these days. There's a lot of power but the lyrics don't really cut it.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 22
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 15/2/2013 9:16:29 PM   
Super Hans

I really like them, own all their albums and am looking forward to seeing them for the first time in May!

Admittedly I haven't been there from the start - while I liked the odd song before it, the first album I bought was Black Holes and Revelations the I bought the rest of them since. They've since become one of the most listened to bands on my iPod.

While I haven't listened to Showbiz enough to have a view on how it compares to the others, from Origin of Symmetry onwards i think the albums have gotten gradually less impressive but still very listenable!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 23
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 15/2/2013 11:10:11 PM   
rich

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yes, THAT'S the song that's KNIGHTS... reminded me of! It's been bothering me since I first heard it!

I really like Knights of Cydonia too. Shame that it's not the opening track on an album which follows on that style, instead of the last track on a load of randoms which are mostly dissapointing.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 24
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 17/2/2013 2:37:59 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

^ Yup, kinda agree with that.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lazy wolf eyes

I think they're fun, but throwaway ... There's a lot of power but the lyrics don't really cut it.

This sums up my thoughts exactly. You have put into a few words what I've been blabbering about all thread!!

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 25
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 17/2/2013 3:56:30 PM   
Lazy wolf eyes

It's a skill.

If God had wanted us to walk everywhere he wouldn't have given us Little Chefs.

Post #: 26
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 19/2/2013 8:29:59 PM   
BigKovacs

Nay. Pretentious and take themselves way too seriously.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to Lazy wolf eyes)
Post #: 27
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 21/2/2013 9:45:27 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigKovacs

Nay. Pretentious and take themselves way too seriously.

You think that, BigKovacs? I always thought that when Matt has been interviewed, he seems quite tongue-in-cheek.

Just my opinion, mate.

Say what now?

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 28
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 22/2/2013 8:53:22 AM   
twisted_state

http://www.filmtied.com/user/dawid_zuchowicz

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 29
RE: Muse - yay or nay? - 16/3/2013 11:52:52 PM   
Musefan

Yay. Muse are great. One of the best live acts around with a incredible impressive collection of songs. Their new stuff isn't up to scratch with their classic albums, but they're still capable of producing great rocking anthems.

quote:

I find their lyrics abysmal, really meaningless.

Really? I think the meaning of most of their songs is pretty clear. Maybe the problem is the opposite - not that their lyrics are meaningless, but that the meaning is so clearly laid out that their songs don't have the ambiguous poetic (meaningless?) quality of a band like Radiohead.

quote:

And I'm always a bit embarrassed to admit I like them, which suggests the latter and takes any admiration into guilty pleasure territory.

That's fair enough. I do think though with any band of their stature, making music right at the heart of popular culture, there's always gonna be alot of hate directed at them. Look at their peers - U2, Coldplay, Kings of Leon, etc... all not the most fashionable bands in the world right now.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> Muse - yay or nay? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI