Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Poster Mash-Ups >> RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 2:44:52 PM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthony Lynch

Hey Kmadden2004, nice sketch, but you've got the dates hopelessly mixed up.

Do you mean mixed up in terms of the actual dates themselves, or mixed up as in terms of corresponding with the scenes I've depicted in the sketch?

Because if you mean the latter, then their not supposed to. I just put the dates randomly around the poster.

(in reply to Anthony Lynch)
Post #: 31
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 2:59:13 PM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kmadden2004

Bah, couldn't resist finishing it tonight.

Does mean I'm probably not going to get any sleep tomorrow night to meet another deadline, but... yeah, it was worth it.

That's bloody brilliant. How did you add colour - manually or via a digital program like Illustrator or Photoshop?

It's not just that your illustrations are great; I love the whole design and composition. It works really well.

Respect dude.

Cheers, dude.

The entire thing was done digitally. I drew the initial sketch in Sketchbook Pro, and then added the colour through Photoshop Elements (I'm too cheap to get the proper CS version). It's a lot easier to pull off than it looks; it's mostly just airbrushes with a little (over)use of the gaussian blur filter and playing around with layer settings and opacities.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 32
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 3:11:58 PM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: cawykes

And with this amazing entry I once again see my chances of winning an Empire poster competition fade into the distance. Damn my hands and their inability to be able to draw. I think this may be the last time I'll enter as I simply can't compete with my graphic design skills.

Don't say that, cawykes, I really like your entires. The central image is strong and is in line with the film's message, and the use of colour in both is eye catching without being 'in-your-face'.

Plus, in my experience, the judges at Empire Towers tend to prefer the minimalist, Olly Moss-style posters. So don't count yourself out yet, mate.

(in reply to cawykes)
Post #: 33
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 4:08:13 PM   
caveone

Hello,
here is my entry. I have used a musical score to signify the Cloud Atlas composition, acting as a timeline spanning all 6 stories. The symbols used are created from parts of musical notes and represent different imagery from the individual segments such as the sailing ship from the first and Old Georgie from the last.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Kmadden2004)
Post #: 34
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 7:20:14 PM   
erictonic

This is my submission, I tried to incorporate styles that would have been used in posters from the various different timelines (I guessed what the years 2144 and 2321 styles would be like). A higher res image is available on request.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to caveone)
Post #: 35
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 19/2/2013 11:55:32 PM   
jgolsby

Alright guys. Love some of the entries that have been submitted so far.
Here's my effort...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to erictonic)
Post #: 36
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 3:24:13 AM   
Quint

Some great looking entries so far guys and gals! If I can make the time between projects I might take a stab at this...

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to jgolsby)
Post #: 37
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 12:32:40 PM   
TomWard

hi, here's my entry - the Earth in time and space...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by TomWard -- 20/2/2013 1:08:23 PM >

(in reply to Quint)
Post #: 38
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 6:02:04 PM   
Anthony Lynch

The Half-Lives: A Luisa Rey Mystery. Part 3 in my 6-Part Poster Series for Cloud Atlas.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to TomWard)
Post #: 39
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 6:03:31 PM   
Anthony Lynch

And now for Part 4 of my 6 Part Cloud Atlas Poster Series. The Ghastly Ordeal of Timothy Cavendish - perhaps my favourite of them all. It was just so funny! However this was also the hardest of them all - since it's not really a visual story.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Anthony Lynch -- 20/2/2013 6:04:05 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 6:06:26 PM   
Anthony Lynch

An Orison of Sonmi-451, an incredibly original, disturbing ("They feed us...to us.") action packed, brilliant, and thought provoking ("Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, from womb to tomb.").
Enjoy the 5th Part of my 6-Part Cloud Atlas Poster Series!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 41
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 20/2/2013 6:07:30 PM   
Anthony Lynch

(Sorry for the re upload - wanted to embed my picture in the post)

An Orison of Sonmi-451, an incredibly original, disturbing ("They feed us...to us.") action packed, brilliant, and thought provoking ("Our lives are not our own. We are bound to others, from womb to tomb.").
Enjoy the 5th Part of my 6-Part Cloud Atlas Poster Series!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 42
Sloosha's Crossin' and Ev'rythin' After - 20/2/2013 6:09:42 PM   
Anthony Lynch

And now for Sloosha's Crossin' and Ev'rythin' After - an epic, brilliant, superbly acted, action packed, stunning episode in the ambitious and brilliant sci-fi drama thriller Cloud Atlas.
The final installment in my 6-Part Cloud Atlas Poster Series.

Enjoy!

Post #: 43
RE: Sloosha's Crossin' and Ev'rythin' After - 20/2/2013 6:10:35 PM   
Anthony Lynch

(Argh! Again I didn't embed the image!)
And now for Sloosha's Crossin' and Ev'rythin' After - an epic, brilliant, superbly acted, action packed, stunning episode in the ambitious and brilliant sci-fi drama thriller Cloud Atlas.
The final installment in my 6-Part Cloud Atlas Poster Series.

Enjoy!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 44
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 12:04:47 AM   
pbmisonempire

Here is my own entry. It's such a hard movie to portray in a single poster, so I decided to represent it with an object itself from the movie and which, subtly, is cued in almost every period of the movie: The Cloud Atlas Sextet Vinyl.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ally Wybrew)
Post #: 45
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 12:13:10 AM   
pbmisonempire

I don't know if my last post had an image too big so here it is again, sorry.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pbmisonempire)
Post #: 46
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 12:19:29 AM   
pbmisonempire

Getting hard to get this right..Sorry everyone!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to pbmisonempire)
Post #: 47
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 1:39:01 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Does mean I'm probably not going to get any sleep tomorrow night to meet another deadline, but... yeah, it was worth it.

That's bloody brilliant. How did you add colour - manually or via a digital program like Illustrator or Photoshop?

It's not just that your illustrations are great; I love the whole design and composition. It works really well.

Respect dude.

Cheers, dude.

The entire thing was done digitally. I drew the initial sketch in Sketchbook Pro, and then added the colour through Photoshop Elements (I'm too cheap to get the proper CS version). It's a lot easier to pull off than it looks; it's mostly just airbrushes with a little (over)use of the gaussian blur filter and playing around with layer settings and opacities.

Seriously? That's wicked. What did you use Sketchbook Pro on, was it an iPad? And which stylus do you use?

I have it on a Kindle Fire HD with a Bamboo stylus but I find it quite imprecise. Maybe I just need to practise more!

Thanks for replying, it's great learning how things are made.

And all the work in this thread is good so no one should feel disheartened. Caveone I really like your design too.

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 48
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 2:46:51 AM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Respect dude.

Cheers, dude.

Seriously? That's wicked. What did you use Sketchbook Pro on, was it an iPad? And which stylus do you use?

I have it on a Kindle Fire HD with a Bamboo stylus but I find it quite imprecise. Maybe I just need to practise more!

Thanks for replying, it's great learning how things are made.

And all the work in this thread is good so no one should feel disheartened. Caveone I really like your design too.

It's all done on a regular, bog standard iMac with a Wacom Cintiq 12wx (and the regular Intuous 3 pen that came with it). I'd love to have Sketchbook Pro on a tablet (basically the reason why I jump at any "draw a picture, win an iPad" competition I come across), it would certainly be cool to experiment with the different interface. It would also at least make things easier when I travel around for work (it becomes a bit of a cluster when you have to pack a Macbook, Cintiq and all the accompanying wires and power units into one bag - and then assemble/disassemble the whole damn thing every time you want to use it).

Also, just as an aside, I recommend tracking down Matt Busch on YouTube if you're keen on making old school film poster style artwork. He has an entertaining series on his channel called "How to draw Star Wars" where he goes in depth into each part of the process he goes through when drawing and painting his (officially licensed) Star Wars posters. He's a traditional artist, but his method can be applied to digital art too.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 49
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 5:33:49 AM   
Anthony Lynch

Hey KMadden, do you recommend the Wacom Bamboo Splash? I'm looking to get a graphics tablet. What are your thoughts?

Post #: 50
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 21/2/2013 6:41:37 PM   
Kmadden2004

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anthony Lynch

Hey KMadden, do you recommend the Wacom Bamboo Splash? I'm looking to get a graphics tablet. What are your thoughts?

Can't say I know it, I'm afraid. My biggest gripe with the Bamboo series in general is that I find the work area too small for me. It's not helped by the fact that my hand-to-eye coordination ain't exactly perfect, so I can't really get used to looking up at the monitor while my hand is scribbling away out of sight. That\s the primary reason why I pushed the boat out and bought myself the Cintiq, since it has the monitor built into the work area it feels a lot more natural to me. Had it for about five or six years now, and I can't praise it enough. Seriously, if you went through my deviantART gallery from start to finish, there's a pretty definite pre- and post-tablet period.

Still, I can guarantee that any product with the Wacom brand will usually be pretty decent. I know this is going to sound like a bit of a dodge of an answer, but - much like everything else in art and design - your choice of tablet really just comes down to what you feel comfortable with at the end of the day.

Post #: 51
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 22/2/2013 2:00:08 PM   
caveone

quote:

... Caveone I really like your design too.

Cheers Cloud Cuckoo, much appreciated.

caveone

Post #: 52
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 22/2/2013 2:03:44 PM   
mateyboy_again

(in reply to caveone)
Post #: 53
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 22/2/2013 3:47:40 PM   
Pencil Fingers

Here's another to add to the bunch!

I chose to concentrate on typography and illustration rather than images taken from the film to give the poster a bit of ambiguity and intrigue.
I tried to demonstrate the link/connection the film explores by using a continuous line/ribbon.
It was fun to put aside my work and play around with this project. I can't wait to see the film!

Good luck to everyone! Loving the posters! The competition is fierce!

Attachment (1)

Post #: 54
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 22/2/2013 4:42:21 PM   
benlack

A 'homage'.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 55
RE: The Pacific Journal of Adam Ewing - 22/2/2013 6:25:58 PM   
robertdee

So here's my one:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 56
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 22/2/2013 7:38:25 PM   
cawykes

Here's my last go. It suddenly occurred to me that the most precious connection is a baby and it's umbilical cord. Attach that to a cloud, which is itself a life giver and I think I've got something really cool (and maybe pretentious!). But I'm really proud of the design :) There's a lot of amazing stuff on here and the competition is wide open. Don't envy the judges. Well done everyone.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 57
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 23/2/2013 10:08:25 AM   
piccolo135

Here's my first attempt, using watercolours for the past, present, future theme.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to cawykes)
Post #: 58
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 23/2/2013 10:09:40 AM   
piccolo135

Preferred second version, adapting it into a globe..

Attachment (1)

(in reply to piccolo135)
Post #: 59
RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! - 23/2/2013 12:27:16 PM   
caveone

Hello, here is my second entry. I have used a symbol representing DNA as the characters share similar characteristics throughout the 6 stories as if it is hardwired within them to make the same choices across the different strands of time. The DNA symbol also echoes the shape of an hour glass which also symbolises the passage of time.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Poster Mash-Ups >> RE: Cloud Atlas Poster Competition To Win A 16GB iPad! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI