Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Is this the week the 80's died?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Is this the week the 80's died? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this the week the 80's died? - 16/2/2013 8:03:21 AM   
twiddle

The first Die Hard is probably the greatest action film ever made. The Next two sequels were also a lot of fun. Four was however silly and 5 looks like a waste of time.

Also this week use all the release of aliens colonial Marine. A video game sequel to the classic James Cameron movie Aliens. It all potentially looked good, the demo was atmospheric and it had a decent development time. I figured how bad could it be so I made the mistake of pre-ordering and ended up buying the worst videogame I bought in 10 years.

There are a lot of really interesting ideas from 80s films that could be turned into cool sequels or other videogames but after this week I am very worried. Please stop tainting classics with substandard follow-ups.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 331
RE: Reviews - 16/2/2013 10:37:05 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Just sent this emial to Mayo and kermode - wonder if they'll reply

The 12a rating given to the latest adventures of John McClane is causing much online contraversy and consternation. That the film's distributors sought guidance from the BBFC on how to achieve this rating by editing the film  from the one they submitted for advice which would have receievd a 15 has not gone down well. With other recent films such as Jack reacher, Taken 2 and The Hunger Games having gone through a similar process to achive the family friendly rating, could it be said that the BBFC's advisory service is making them complicit, actively or passively, in the commercially motivated bowlderisation of films? If so should they offer this service and simply give a rating based on the version of the film the studios choose to submit?
I think overall it's a good thing that they are prepared to work with the studios in this way although the studios themselves are taking advantage. Your thoughts?

Finally, someone understands this concept.

Great email. Let's hope you get a reply.

Let me be clear. I don't agree with you. I'm simply posing the the question which you were trying to raise but got lost amongst all your ranting. The problem lies with the studios/distrubutors not the BBFC.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 16/2/2013 10:38:02 AM >

(in reply to Drooch)
Post #: 332
[Awaiting Approval]
Drooch

[Awaiting Approval]
Post #: 333
[Awaiting Approval]
Drooch

[Awaiting Approval]
Post #: 334
RE: Reviews - 16/2/2013 4:16:42 PM   
Phubbs

Well it is a concern, for the UK anyway. I don't think cinema will die but this won't do it any good if other companies start doing the same. For adults cinema may become pointless for action/sci-fi/adventure flicks, why would you go to the cinema to see a cut down action film? a film you know has been cut down on purpose. You wouldn't, you'd wait till you can buy or download the full uncut version.

I mean I can see why this may become popular, cut down every adult film to a universal 12A to maximize sales/tickets/$$$. Then release the uncut version on DVD/BR for the films 'proper' audience. I'm sure that would equal even more $$$ because I'm sure some folk will go see the cut cinematic version and buy the uncut.

Unfortunately it could well see many UK adults not bothering with the cinema for certain films because we know they will be watered down, most will hold back for downloads probably.

Thing is will this even help DVD/BR sales? take the new Die Hard film. Even the full version is meant to be crapola, so not only will many UK cinema goers possibly not go to see it because its widely known the film has been cut down to a 12A. But they may not even bother buying it either because the full version is poor also, at least if the studio released the full version in the cinema most would probably go come what may because its Die Hard, but not now. This way the studio is really cutting its own throat I think and starting a bad trend.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 335
RE: Reviews - 16/2/2013 5:02:09 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phubbs
Thing is will this even help DVD/BR sales? take the new Die Hard film. Even the full version is meant to be crapola, so not only will many UK cinema goers possibly not go to see it because its widely known the film has been cut down to a 12A. But they may not even bother buying it either because the full version is poor also, at least if the studio released the full version in the cinema most would probably go come what may because its Die Hard, but not now. This way the studio is really cutting its own throat I think and starting a bad trend.

You'd be surprised at the shit people buy on dvd and Blu Ray. Some will buy it because they have the other films, some will buy it because it is uncut (hopefully) and want to see it the way it was intended (me), some will buy it because they saw it and liked it, some because they want as many Blu Rays they can afford regardless of the film and some will buy it because they don't give a shit what people say, it can't be that bad, right?

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 336
RE: Reviews - 16/2/2013 9:38:12 PM   
Phubbs

It might not be that bad no but the worry is will studios do this from now on? Cut all releases of certain genres just to rake in a universal audience.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 337
RE: Reviews - 17/2/2013 12:44:32 AM   
Shifty Bench

I don't think so, no. Die Hard 5 was doomed from the start and Fox knew it. They had no faith in the film whatsoever which is why it was released on Valentines Day.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Phubbs)
Post #: 338
RE: Reviews - 20/2/2013 4:51:55 PM   
directorscut

quote:

The fifth Die Hard movie tallied $60.2 million this weekend for an early total of $78.7 million. Its top market was the U.K. with $7.5 million, though it also had good starts in Japan ($7 million) and Germany ($6.5 million) and decent debuts in Mexico ($3 million) and Spain ($1.98 million).

Looks like going 12A was the right move. Money-wise.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 339
RE: Reviews - 20/2/2013 6:30:49 PM   
Osric

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

I don't think so, no. Die Hard 5 was doomed from the start and Fox knew it. They had no faith in the film whatsoever which is why it was released on Valentines Day.

I don't necessarily think that's true at all. In a lot of ways that was a really canny slot. A not-too-violent daft actioner was always TOTALLY going to work as a date movie. I know several couples that never go to the cinema that were really on for a Die Hard valentines date.

Post #: 340
[Awaiting Approval]
Drooch

[Awaiting Approval]
Post #: 341
RE: Reviews - 13/3/2013 12:18:02 AM   
Drooch

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Just dropping this here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXE6EqvGgIQ

*cough*

Good video. Sadly, Kermode misses the crucial factor here, but a user called 'spacebeetle' hits the nail on the head in his comment:

Maybe the whole idea of the bbfc giving advice on what to cut to get a 12A should be abandoned. From what I understand the bbfc is government run, (I'm not from Britain, so correct me if wrong) they should be therefore answerable to the viewers not the distributors.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 342
RE: Reviews - 13/3/2013 12:22:10 AM   
Drooch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Drooch

quote:

Just sent this emial to Mayo and kermode - wonder if they'll reply

The 12a rating given to the latest adventures of John McClane is causing much online contraversy and consternation. That the film's distributors sought guidance from the BBFC on how to achieve this rating by editing the film  from the one they submitted for advice which would have receievd a 15 has not gone down well. With other recent films such as Jack reacher, Taken 2 and The Hunger Games having gone through a similar process to achive the family friendly rating, could it be said that the BBFC's advisory service is making them complicit, actively or passively, in the commercially motivated bowlderisation of films? If so should they offer this service and simply give a rating based on the version of the film the studios choose to submit?
I think overall it's a good thing that they are prepared to work with the studios in this way although the studios themselves are taking advantage. Your thoughts?

Finally, someone understands this concept.

Great email. Let's hope you get a reply.

Let me be clear. I don't agree with you. I'm simply posing the the question which you were trying to raise but got lost amongst all your ranting. The problem lies with the studios/distrubutors not the BBFC.

No one is disputing that the studios/distributors are ultimately to blame for being happy to butcher their films for a lower rating, but the reason that this manifests so frequently in the UK, and not in other similar countries, is down to the BBFC's unique willingness to coordinate with the studio at the editing stage with their 'cuts advice service'.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 343
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Is this the week the 80's died? Page: <<   < prev  8 9 10 11 [12]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI