Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: DVD review

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DVD review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DVD review - 24/6/2013 8:37:42 AM   
dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: dseys

Funny how this was downgraded to 2 poor star in the DVD review section of Empire's last issue :-)

Really, why? I mean most people understand that different people reviewing the same thing might have different opinions and this isn't exactly rare. Not to mention people can change their own minds.

So why was this so unusual here?

I didn't say it was unusual. Of course different people have different opinion, but the published review is kind of "Empire's official verdict". The magazine chose a 4 star review when the film was out in cinema and then, seeing the audience's poor reaction, picked up a 2 star review when it was out on dvd.

I don't have any problem with that. It's absolutely normal. But it's funny because it's like Empire's now saying: "You people were right, this movie is shit". The same happened with Cosmopolis.

Empire don't publish a committee review for any film - the review is the review of the person who writes it for the simple reason that they might be the only person who's actually seen the film - there isn't a mass office outing to every press screening (which is pretty obvious). It might not score the same if someone else in the office wrote and argued the toss on it. That's pretty much how most magazines/newspapers work. And, sometimes, a different reviewer will do the DVD and it will get a different rating. Or even the same reviewer, not caught up in the moment, presents a more sober analysis.

Sadly, your misperception isn't as rare as it should be. And specifically? To suggest that Empire solely changed a review score because of what some random others thought of a film and to suggest, then, that the review isn't the professional opinion of a particular film critic, is really tantamount to professional libel, so you might want to rethink how you word that particular accusation. Empire have been clear in the past they have little tolerance for this type of unsubstantiated accusation. You might not have appreciated that this is what your accusation essentially is but, genuinely, think about it - film critics rely on professional reputations and you've just suggested one of them doesn't actually have opinions but just checks some an other public opinion-ometer and writes what that says.

So what you're suggesting happened? That's not what happened. An opinion changed - Empire did not change a score because of anyone else's opinion but one of their own.

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea how Empire works, i was just asking. I love Empire and i find it to be a VERY professional magazine. I wasn't accusating at all, just pointing out an observation i made. But now i've 2 questions:

- on what basis does Empire choose which reviewer watches which movie?
- if different reviewers have seen the same movie, how does Empire pick up the review they want to publish? And why does that change in the dvd-section?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 31
Stunningly Average - 28/6/2013 6:26:37 PM   
Fletch

It was....okay. I am close to 40 but not having a nice house I can't afford or kids, it wasn't really all that close to my life so I can't relate to that aspect. Paul Rudd is always worth watching and the supporting cast are also likeable. Apart from Megan Fox, who I'm getting really sick of: her entire purpose seems to be so that men in the movie can stare at her and say "ooh, she's hot". She has no other reason for being in movies, because she certainly is not a good actress.

Anyway. Not a great movie but an enjoyable cast. Kind of like going over to your friend's house and hanging out, not doing much. It's nice to spend time with them, yeah but it's kind of dull.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 32
this is 40000 hours of arguing! - 12/9/2013 12:35:56 AM   
extremetee

I loved the 4o year old virgin but since then his films have got consecutivly worse, less funny and more sentimentally trite, culminating in this which is basicallly 5 hours of annoying americans arguing in that inept way they have, 3 jokes (the best being references to Megan foxes vagina) and iritating movie brats talking about lost. Avoid!

Post #: 33
grrrrr Empire - 18/3/2014 8:51:38 AM   
Samurai7

I watched this because you gave it a 4 star review and said it was up for comedy of the year. Jeez thanks for nothing Empire.
While it had a few laughable cameo moments - it was too fucken long, and painful, even with a half-naked megan fox. Even with characters that I liked - listening to them shout at each other for the over-long running time is not entertainment. Just made me thankful I didn't have kids is all.

Post #: 34
- 3/10/2014 6:04:32 PM   
danfacey711

Yes, this film is long and could have probably ended half an hour early, but the point is that this film THROUGHOUT has a lot of heart, a lot of laughs and a lot of what you'd expect from an Apatow production. This is a brilliant portrayal of family life and keeping the magic alive. Although, at times, you have to pinch yourself and realise that you're watching the oh-so-woe-is-me problems of a middle class white American family (with a designer store and a record label) but the struggles are real and the marital issues are portrayed perfectly, making this a brilliant contended with 'Knocked Up.' I felt the brilliant Lena Dunham's character was very undeveloped and could have been used to a greater purpose, likewise with Annie Mumolo but the story was funny and fluent, and although it's overlong running time, I didn't find myself bored but entertained throughout. Films can be long people. Deal with it.

Post #: 35
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: DVD review Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI