Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Crime Poll

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Crime Poll Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:21:46 PM   
Rebel scum

With the blessing of Rawlinson and Gimli, a crime poll! Lists of up to 150, shorts, features, TV, books, videos games are all fine. For TV, stuff like The Wire/Sopranos/Sherlock has to be voted for as a whole, but stuff like Poirot/Marple/Morse can be voted for by episode. I'll set a deadline once I know how much interest there is.

Crime's kind of a bugger to pin down, and I'm not going to instinctively disqualify anything, but just because the IMDB tags it as crime doesn't make it a crime movie! Generally speaking, I'm not going to allow megalomaniac take-over-the-world plots, and the excuse of "people get murdered" doesn't mean, say, Star Wars or LOTR are allowed! Then again, Muppets Christmas Carol made it into the horror list, so what do I know?

Send the lists to - empirecrimepoll@hotmail.com

< Message edited by Rebel scum -- 9/2/2013 1:36:56 PM >

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"
Post #: 1
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:31:30 PM   
rawlinson

Just a tip, you might want to make a ruling up front on t.v. stuff, because it's not just the series stuff like The Wire and The Sopranos, but mini-series like The Singing Detective and stuff that was technically a series but also work as stand-alones, like the Poirot/Marple eps. Might save you a lot of questions down the line if you decide up front.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 2
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:31:43 PM   
MovieAddict247

I'm up for this.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 3
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:32:32 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Just a tip, you might want to make a ruling up front on t.v. stuff, because it's not just the series stuff like The Wire and The Sopranos, but mini-series like The Singing Detective and stuff that was technically a series but also work as stand-alones, like the Poirot/Marple eps. Might save you a lot of questions down the line if you decide up front.

OH MY GOD CAN WE INCLUDE BOOKS TOO!?!!?!?

Then everyone can vote for Agatha Christie!

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:34:58 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

Good point, I'll edit something like "Yeah, why not?" into my first post.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:42:07 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

OH MY GOD CAN WE INCLUDE BOOKS TOO!?!!?!?

Then everyone can vote for Agatha Christie!

And John Franklin Bardin. Everyone should read John Franklin Bardin. Why there haven't been high profile adaptations of his books is a mystery/massive annoyance.

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 6
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:42:39 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebel scum

quote:

Good point, I'll edit something like "Yeah, why not?" into my first post.

Elab's going to weep when she sees how well The Sopranos do.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 7
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 1:45:38 PM   
elab49

That's a crime show? I thought it was about family dysfunction. 

A reasonably OK show about family dysfunction.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 8
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 2:03:56 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Then again, Muppets Christmas Carol made it into the horror list, so what do I know?

During the opening song, the vegetables complain that they;re being stolen. That's a crime! I'll get The Muppets in this one too!

Crime shows, I take it that covers all procedurals, each as its own entry? What about shows that feature crimes that are investigated by two FBI agents who discover that the crimes were committed by aliens, liver-eating stretchy men or parasitic worms?

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/2/2013 2:04:30 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 9
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 2:11:08 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

During the opening song, the vegetables complain that they;re being stolen. That's a crime! I'll get The Muppets in this one too!

NOPE

quote:

Crime shows, I take it that covers all procedurals, each as its own entry? What about shows that feature crimes that are investigated by two FBI agents who discover that the crimes were committed by aliens, liver-eating stretchy men or parasitic worms?

I've never watched it, but Wikipedia says:
"The series recounted the exploits of FBI Special Agents Fox Mulder (David Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Gillian Anderson) who investigate X-Files: marginalized, unsolved cases involving paranormal phenomena."

I'm inclined to say yes.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 10
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 2:15:36 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I was actually joking with The X-Files but hell, it's better than any actual crime films I know of so if I can have it I'm including it!

Also, go and watch The X-Files.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 9/2/2013 2:16:03 PM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 11
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 5:28:59 PM   
AxlReznor

Wow... if we're allowed The X-Files does that mean we're taking a broader view of crime than just organised crime that is usually considered?
Like, serial killer movies and stuff can be included?

Also, would I be able to vote for individual stories from Gotham Central (it's a police procedural comic book series that just happens to sometimes feature cameos from the costumed heroes of Gotham City), or would it need to be the series as a whole?

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 9/2/2013 5:39:27 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 6:45:39 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Wow... if we're allowed The X-Files does that mean we're taking a broader view of crime than just organised crime that is usually considered?
Like, serial killer movies and stuff can be included?

I've not watched X-Files, but since the Wiki link suggests the focus is on law enforcement and investigation-type stuff I'm okay with people wanting to vote for it. Serial killer films are tricky, but I'm okay with them as long as there's some kind of focus on the impact the crime is having and the people trying to bring them in. So Halloween is a no but Se7en is a yes, if that makes sense.

quote:

Also, would I be able to vote for individual stories from Gotham Central (it's a police procedural comic book series that just happens to sometimes feature cameos from the costumed heroes of Gotham City), or would it need to be the series as a whole?

If the individual stories are independent and not tied into any overarching plot, then you can vote for them individually.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 13
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 6:54:00 PM   
elab49

I think it's back to what Rawlinson was mentioning in the other thread - the purpose and intent of the show wasn't crime investigation in X Files but the paranormal. It'd be a bit like including SUpernatural because they're basically doing the same thing and pretend they're cops often enough? 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 14
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 6:57:42 PM   
Rebel scum

I think the difference between the two is that Mulder and Scully are official law enforcement investigating crime - surreal crime, but crime nonetheless, whereas the Supernatural boys are looking out for monsters regardless of any crime and without any official sanction to do so. Still, to make a fair ruling, it looks like this poll is going to finally make me watch an episode of the X-Files!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:06:29 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

the Supernatural boys are looking out for monsters regardless of any crime and without any official sanction to do so.

You make it sound like Bo and Luke Duke going monster hunting.

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 16
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:10:43 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

quote:

the Supernatural boys are looking out for monsters regardless of any crime and without any official sanction to do so.

You make it sound like Bo and Luke Duke going monster hunting.

That would be much better than Supernatural.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 17
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:13:29 PM   
elab49

But the X Files couple weren't assigned normal cases and just found stuff - they were actively looking for aliens in odd sounding cases. Mulder cared about nothing else. I'd say it was a show about an alien story arc, that features a couple of FBI investigators rather than vv.  Granted they never found any existentially depressed teddy bears. This is a significant issue with the show

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 18
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:19:22 PM   
Rebel scum

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

But the X Files couple weren't assigned normal cases and just found stuff - they were actively looking for aliens in odd sounding cases. Mulder cared about nothing else. I'd say it was a show about an alien story arc, that features a couple of FBI investigators rather than vv.  Granted they never found any existentially depressed teddy bears. This is a significant issue with the show

Fair enough, I'll watch a bit of the show and think about whether I should allow it. Although if only Gimli votes for it it might not make the list!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:26:52 PM   
elab49

Sorry, I'd skipped right over the bit where you said you'd not tried the show yet. 1st and 3rd season are very good 

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 20
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 7:42:39 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

In all honesty I probably wouldn't think The X-Files is something that should be included. If we can have it I will have it but I can very easily see why it shouldn't be there. Crime is not the first word that springs to mind when I think of the show.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 8:02:45 PM   
Rebel scum

In which case I'm going to Gove on my previous decision and say it can't be voted for, mostly since you're the one most likely to demand it's included, so if you're not it must speak volumes about its inappropriateness .

Post #: 22
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 8:38:56 PM   
elab49

I like that you've made gove a verb 

quote:

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 23
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:08:26 PM   
AxlReznor

I'd vote for The X-Files, too as it's my favourite TV show ever. But I agree it's not something that I think should be included in a crime list... despite most of the cases starting out as "this person is murdered" or something similar, and Scully at least looking for a normal solution to the case.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 24
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:15:36 PM   
Rinc

Looking forward to putting together a list for this. I can tell you now The Godfather, The Wire and James Ellroy are going to feature heavily.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 25
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:15:40 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Count me in!

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 26
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:20:19 PM   
rawlinson

Can everyone pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease read some John Franklin Bardin before they vote?

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 27
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:22:13 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc

Looking forward to putting together a list for this. I can tell you now The Godfather, The Wire and James Ellroy are going to feature heavily.

I'd be worried if The Godfather didn't feature heavily on everyone's list.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 28
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:25:39 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

Goodfellas > Godfather Part 2 > The Godfather

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 29
RE: Crime Poll - 9/2/2013 9:30:22 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

Goodfellas > Godfather Part 2 > The Godfather

Pretty much. I'm pretty sure neither Elab or Gimli will be voting for them. I probably would have had them in the 101 - 150 area if this was just films, but with it being expanded to cover t.v., books, etc , they might not make it at all.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Crime Poll Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI