Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:41:54 PM   
rawlinson

He can probably spell dream properly though.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 31
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:15:27 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

I apologise, that point wasn't being made specifically about Cox (it was more in response to the general suggestion that knowing more about physics was a relevant point to communication).

No need to apologise! Thanks for clarifying.

quote:

I admire the input to the programmes and I'd tend to go with the argument that having someone with knowledge in the area can't help but add to the programme being made (hence the irritation with that Scots chap with long hair suddenly becoming presenter du jour but out of his area of expertise) - but I just, personally,  find his style kind of puts me to sleep.

Neil bloody Oliver! I agree entirely there, the man is ubiquitous. He nips my head something rotten. And I'm Scottish! As my ex-archaeologist father profoundly put it, "Why doesn't he cut his hair?"

Cox does have a mild style and I appreciate some may find it soporific, especially in this day and age with Gordon Ramsay types barking expletives all over the airwaves. I just find him endearing, he seems to hark back to a gentler time when presenters didn't have to be arrogant and bombastic.

quote:

Which I could say for quite a few lecturers - university tenure isn't a guarantee of comm skills either

That's a fair point.

quote:

All kudos to any presenter, however, who can enthuse people in the sciences - it's a rare skill and one in understandably great demand.

But for me, the idea of him taking over natural history progs (like this current crossover attempt) does worry me because, like this current onenow, I wouldn't be watching. And I normally enjoy them so much.

I agree with this wholeheartedly and, like you, it's one of the (many) reasons I find Neil Oliver so irritating. However I don't see Cox as muscling in on others' territory. He may be talking about animals and such but he's still banging on about atoms and coming at it from a physicist's perspective. I don't think he's trying to usurp natural history presenters; he's tackling the same subject but as part of a new angle encompassing all life and its ingredients. And I think that's rather lovely.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:21:23 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo
. He nips my head something rotten.

O/T

Oh dear - I'm going to read everything you say and hear Gerard Kelly's voice in my head now. He's the only person I really associate that phrase with

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 33
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:30:04 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

Oh dear - I'm going to read everything you say and hear Gerard Kelly's voice in my head now. He's the only person I really associate that phrase with

Well I did see him in panto a couple of times when I was a kid, he's clearly had a more pervasive effect on my lexicon than I realised...

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 34
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:31:58 PM   
elab49

O/T Wonderful performer. Fags, Mags and Bags (great radio comedy) just isn't the same without him. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 35
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:41:31 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

O/T Wonderful performer. Fags, Mags and Bags (great radio comedy) just isn't the same without him. 

He was certainly great in panto, he had us rolling in the aisles. Otherwise I only really remember him from City Lights (a Scottish sitcom, not sure if it was broadcast elsewhere in Britain), and I think he may have appeared in Brookside as a villain... Certainly a sad and premature loss.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 36
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:46:07 PM   
elab49

I'm Glaswegian. And yes - I remember City Lights. Heck of a blast from the past! 

quote:

Post #: 37
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:51:12 PM   
DancingClown

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 38
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 7:58:56 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Oh sorry! When you described Neil bloody Oliver (his full name) as "that Scottish chap" (or words to that effect) I daftly assumed you hailed from another part! That and your lack of familiarity with the nipping of heads expression!

I'm from Edinburgh which means we must be deadly enemies now, or something equally as retarded.

Yup a blast from the past indeed, I only remember it very vaguely as I was but a little 'wean' () but it certainly seemed to amuse my parents.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 39
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 8:00:08 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

He was certainly great in panto, he had us rolling in the aisles. Otherwise I only really remember him from City Lights (a Scottish sitcom, not sure if it was broadcast elsewhere in Britain), and I think he may have appeared in Brookside as a villain... Certainly a sad and premature loss.

Yup, Scottish here too, I remember City Lights well. Chancer was my favourite

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

Post #: 40
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 8:07:48 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

Okay, okay - back to arguing about whether Professor Brian Cox deserves appreciating or not and the numerous ways in which he's inferior to his acting counterpart...

(Showing your age there Shifty, actually remembering characters... )

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 41
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 8:37:22 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

It's the only one I do remember, it's one of those names for me. Well, I also remember 'Willie' but that's just because hee-hee-hee...

Plus, I'm closing in on 40, so I can't really hide my age

Post #: 42
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 9:04:29 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

It's the only one I do remember, it's one of those names for me. Well, I also remember 'Willie' but that's just because hee-hee-hee...

*titters*

Fair dos my dear! Now COXY IS ON TELLY RIGHT NOW RIGHT NOW!!

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 43
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 9:13:00 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Oh lord, the prof is frolicking with lion cubs. Be still my beating heart.

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 44
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 11:19:41 PM   
superdan

I quite like Brian Cox, he's obviously passionate about physics and science in general, and seems to work pretty hard to get people interested in it all which I think can only be a good thing. Plus, he's obviously had some kind of magic sprite dust sprinkled on him or something. There's no way someone should be able to survive being in D:Ream, become a particle physics professor and still get men thinking he's cool and women all hot and flustered. Plus he's like 11 years older than me and looks about 8 years younger. Fucking wanker. I've changed my mind - he can get knotted.

Post #: 45
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 11:37:54 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

I quite like Brian Cox, he's obviously passionate about physics and science in general, and seems to work pretty hard to get people interested in it all which I think can only be a good thing. Plus, he's obviously had some kind of magic sprite dust sprinkled on him or something. There's no way someone should be able to survive being in D:Ream, become a particle physics professor and still get men thinking he's cool and women all hot and flustered. Plus he's like 11 years older than me and looks about 8 years younger. Fucking wanker. I've changed my mind - he can get knotted.

I imagine he's also quite wealthy, being on TV and all.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 46
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 11:42:35 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

That is quite possibly the best thing I have read all day.

And it's almost midnight, so well done

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 47
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 11:53:32 PM   
Saltire

quote:

And he works at CERN - git!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 48
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 11/2/2013 12:12:56 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

Haha! Brilliance! You're right; he's probably bargained his soul to Satan at some point. But we reap the benefit.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

As did my brother-in-law (though sadly not with Coxy). I've been round the Large 'Hard-on' Collider, ooft was it cool. Not that I understood a single fucking thing about it, of course.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 49
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 11/2/2013 8:41:05 AM   
borstal

quote:

Plus he's from Oldham and that generally isnt a good thing unless your me, Paul Scholes or Michelle Marsh.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 50
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 11/2/2013 9:59:11 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 51
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 11/2/2013 10:23:12 AM   
jonson

I find him 50% interesting and 50% incredibly annoying, so I tend to avoid him as I don't even like being 10% annoyed. Plus he talks like he's taking a really big shit, there's a certain amount of strain on his face all the time, and D:Ream were absolutely shit to boot, there's absolutely no cool value to him being their keyboard player whatsoever.
And he encourages people to look at stars in the sky. That's quite dangerous really. There's no future for the human race in just looking at things, certainly not things that are so far away they have no significance on your lives at all. He might as well tell people to just look at the walls in their houses. The more he's on TV, the more dangerous his followers become, staring at the sky, wasting their lives on why and how.
And Dara O'brian is equally annoying, the only reason he's interested in the stars is because they all circulate around his fucking head.

quote:

Fucking wanker. I've changed my mind - he can get knotted.

He can get knotted. I haven't told anyone to do that for years.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 52
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 11/2/2013 1:45:02 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

Oh my giddy aunt. I don't know which one I want to cuddle more.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 53
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 17/2/2013 7:07:48 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

*coughbump*

Remember Wonders of Life at 9pm folks!

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 54
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 17/2/2013 9:41:50 PM   
DancingClown

Microscopic wasps!!!??

Kill them! BURN THEM!!

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 55
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 17/2/2013 10:10:44 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Yup, my reaction was much the same - the last thing we need is wasps we can't even bloody see!

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 56
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 18/2/2013 3:59:19 AM   
Saltire

quote:

quote:

Haha! Brilliance! You're right; he's probably bargained his soul to Satan at some point. But we reap the benefit.

quote:

As did my brother-in-law (though sadly not with Coxy). I've been round the Large 'Hard-on' Collider, ooft was it cool. Not that I understood a single fucking thing about it, of course.

I tried to enlist on a course there when I graduated but was too late in enrolling.

Post #: 57
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 18/2/2013 10:00:39 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

quote:

Plus he's from Oldham and that generally isnt a good thing unless your me, Paul Scholes or Michelle Marsh.

Oldham is great - coming from a Londoner!

I lived there for a while, people were so lovely and the accent - god i love the manc accent!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 58
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 21/2/2013 1:21:29 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

I tried to enlist on a course there when I graduated but was too late in enrolling.

I think it's pretty tough to get into. It was a really multicultural community and everyone seemed to be a genius (my brother-in-law is a scarily bright sort, he worked for Stanford University before and was head-hunted by Google; not bad for a boy from Erskine).

It seemed a very cool place to work though - paid extremely well and he was tax exempt! Plus they all got a bonus for not blowing up the world. Seriously!

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 59
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 25/2/2013 8:36:33 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

So Wonders of Life is now finished. Where will we get our collective Coxy fix now?

Well it was a great end - my personal highlight was hearing the professor describe a pondskater's legs as its "danglie things" (I don't think Attenborough will be hanging up his cap just yet ). It was a lovely series though; the Beeb certainly spared no expense, what a gorgeous production! Beautiful cinematography. Other telly scientists must be green with envy. At least, our eyes must detect the green photons in the pigment of their envy...

I've learned a lot, but I know my memory will swiftly erase the information to make room for useless trivia and irritating advert jingles. *sigh*

Come back soon, Prof - my brain needs you!

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI