Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 8/2/2013 4:25:49 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Apologies if there is already a thread for this; I had a gander but couldn't spot one.

I don't know why I love Prof Cox so much. He used to play keyboards for D:ream, which should be considered a criminal offence, and his perpetual smile can, on occasion, cross from slightly unsettling to plain creepy.

However, he makes me watch science programmes, a feat no one else except the divine David Attenborough (who has named Cox as his preferred successor) has ever managed. I am arty-farty to my core, but he wins me over. I don't always understand what he's saying, but his gentle Oldham accent and unpompous delivery make me listen, and try.

I particularly love his astronomy programmes (being somewhat fascinated by the stars). I could watch the man talk about the universe for hours. And I have. For though he is startlingly bright and well-informed, he also comes across as humble; genuinely enthralled by the subjects he discusses. And that is infectious.

So, any other Coxians out there...?

In Thom we trust.
Post #: 1
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 8/2/2013 5:02:28 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

So, any other Coxians out there...?

Hell yeah!

My mate and me have been to numerous shows over the years just to learn all about science

We've been lucky enough to go to a couple of recordings of the Infinite Monkey Cage, a couple of the Douglas Adams Memorial Lectures (although the 60th Party we got tickets for last year he was stuck in Oz and didn't make it ) and a couple of other live comedy shows with him and Robin Ince. The Douglas Adams stuff is run by the Save the Rhino Foundation and much hilarity (way too much for women our age) ensued by getting a free subscription to The Horn

I do wonder at what point he starts to recognise us and think "shit, they're stalking me"

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 2
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 8/2/2013 5:29:01 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Oh wow! I am super jealous, it must be great seeing him talk live.

For scientific reasons, obviously; purely for science...

Don't worry, I follow him on Twitter which is pretty damn near stalking, and I'm ashamed to say I even sent him a picture of an artwork I did of cosmic dawn (the moment, millions of years after the big bang, that light first appeared in the universe). What a sad cow eh?!

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 3
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 8/2/2013 8:46:37 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

What a sad cow eh?!

Not at all

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 4
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 5:54:21 AM   
Saltire

Nothing the matter with him, but he is overused on the tv these days as the go-to guy for the majority of science topics. I prefer Jim Al-Khalili's shows as they are less for the laymen and hence less patronising.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 5
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 5:44:53 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Saltire

Nothing the matter with him, but he is overused on the tv these days as the go-to guy for the majority of science topics. I prefer Jim Al-Khalili's shows as they are less for the laymen and hence less patronising.

See, I don't find Cox patronising at all because I AM the layman (well, laywoman), as are most. These programmes aren't aimed at academics; they are aimed at the masses. And that is why Cox is popular - because he knows how to relay quite complex information in a way the general public will understand.

I noticed Khalili was at Cox's recent televised lecture, and even took part in an experiment (with Simon Pegg, no less).

My friend posted this on my Facebook wall, it might give Cox fans a giggle...

Clicky

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 6
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 6:26:56 PM   
directorscut

I'm tried of seeing his naming and thinking people mean the superior Cox.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 7
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 7:59:12 PM   
Hood_Man

I like him, he's interesting.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 8
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 8:33:52 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

Yes I've been similarly confuddled before, hence why I make sure I prefix the name with 'Professor'.

As for the prof being inferior, you can't really measure an actor against a physicist, they have pretty different strengths! It's like saying "What's better, pizza or puppies?" Both have merits to be enjoyed.

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 9
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 8:35:39 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Yay, another Coxian.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 10
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 8:37:18 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

quote:

Yay, another Coxian.

I also think he and Dara O'Brien make a great team

Post #: 11
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 8:56:08 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

I also think he and Dara O'Brien make a great team

YES! I wholeheartedly agree! The dry comedian and the cheery professor, it's a great double act, particularly as Dara also knows his scientific beans.

Stargazing Live is fantastic, I wish it was on much more often.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 12
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 9:07:07 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

COXY IS ON JONATHAN ROSS TONIGHT, ITV AT 21.20.

That is all.

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 13
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 10:20:12 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: directorscut

What a strange thing to say.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 14
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 9/2/2013 11:04:36 PM   
elab49

RE The comparisons - I prefer Brian Cox (actor) as presenter. Certainly his voice.

Not a great fan of the Prof as a presenter. And certainly not in wildlife - I did try the current show after not being initially enthused, but it just wasn't for me.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 15
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 12:40:46 AM   
DancingClown

Oh. Does Brian Cox (the actor) do much presenting then? I thought perhaps he might have a more extensive knowledge in astrophysics and quantum mechanics than the professor and that was what invited the comparison and the initial accusation of apparent inferiority. But we're basing it on voice are we? Well, they have the same name, they don't share the same profession. Comparing them seems a bit silly. If the actor was also a professor of quantum physics and had his own science show a comparison would be clearly justified.

I'm a fan of Professor Cox - you know, the one the thread's about - and I love the first two Wonders series. I'm struggling a little to get involved as much with the current series so I think repeat viewings are in order. But I like the guy a lot. His enthusiasm is infectious.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 10/2/2013 12:49:01 AM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 12:49:05 AM   
elab49

Well, sarcasm aside, this isn't a comparative thread on physcists either, is it? It's in small screen - so isn't it about presenting skills and TV 'performances'? Knowing about physics doesn't make you a good communicator or TV presenter. It just happens that, for some, that's something the subject of the thread has achieved.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 17
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 10:08:39 AM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Well, sarcasm aside, this isn't a comparative thread on physcists either, is it?

I didn't say it was. I just find it odd to gatecrash an appreciation thread (not you) with the random comparison of someone with whom the subject shares the same name but has little else in common. The other Brian Cox is neither a TV presenter nor a physicist, nor a TV presenting physicist. Someone else made reference to Jim Al-Kahllili which seems fair enough considering the subject of TV and science.

quote:

It's in small screen - so isn't it about presenting skills and TV 'performances'?

Indeed. But one wouldn't interrupt an appreciation thread for the actor Brian Cox by claiming that Professor Brian Cox was superior because he had a nicer voice or was a better actor. That wouldn't make sense.

quote:

Knowing about physics doesn't make you a good communicator or TV presenter.

True, but simply sharing his name doesn't really automatically make one a logical rival, in either TV presenting or physics. You could compare their looks or something but that would be a little childish.

quote:

It just happens that, for some, that's something the subject of the thread has achieved.

Well...yes. That's why it's an appreciation thread.

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 10:21:29 AM   
DancingClown

But enough of the semantics.

He's clashing with the Baftas tonight. I fear that Brian will lose out. But just for tonight. It's not like cheating on someone...

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 19
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 2:49:42 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: DancingClown

But one wouldn't interrupt an appreciation thread for the actor Brian Cox by claiming that Professor Brian Cox was superior because he had a nicer voice or was a better actor. That wouldn't make sense.

That just made me laugh out loud!

I'm with DC here in finding the Brian Cox comparisons and "I prefer..."s a bit odd! There is room in the world for both, after all, and they really do have very little in common save their name.

Now I'm off to find a thread on Brian Cox (the actor) so that I can slate his inferior knowledge on the origins of the universe...

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 20
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 3:18:42 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

It's in small screen - so isn't it about presenting skills and TV 'performances'? Knowing about physics doesn't make you a good communicator or TV presenter. It just happens that, for some, that's something the subject of the thread has achieved.

Limiting his contribution to television to 'performing' or 'presenting' is harsh; I'm sure he has a pretty major input into the content of his programmes as well. He isn't just a mouthpiece, he is an intelligent mind sharing his knowledge with us. He is David Attenborough, not Dermot O'Leary.

As for not being a good communicator, he's a lecturer at the University of Manchester - I'd imagine that involves a lot of fairly effective communicating. I understand him just fine, as do millions of others. Because you happen to dislike his presenting style does not make him a poor communicator. I personally find his style affable and winning.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 4:11:27 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

You could compare their looks or something but that would be a little childish.

Allow me:

Brian wins

Post #: 22
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 4:33:39 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Which one?

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 23
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 4:46:48 PM   
DancingClown

This one?

Astronomic Tune Boy

Post #: 24
RE: The Brian Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 5:47:48 PM   
Cloud Cuckoo

Do you reckon I should throw this thread open to the appreciation of all things Brian?

I dig this one too.

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 25
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:23:28 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

It's in small screen - so isn't it about presenting skills and TV 'performances'? Knowing about physics doesn't make you a good communicator or TV presenter. It just happens that, for some, that's something the subject of the thread has achieved.

Limiting his contribution to television to 'performing' or 'presenting' is harsh; I'm sure he has a pretty major input into the content of his programmes as well. He isn't just a mouthpiece, he is an intelligent mind sharing his knowledge with us. He is David Attenborough, not Dermot O'Leary.

As for not being a good communicator, he's a lecturer at the University of Manchester - I'd imagine that involves a lot of fairly effective communicating. I understand him just fine, as do millions of others. Because you happen to dislike his presenting style does not make him a poor communicator. I personally find his style affable and winning.

I apologise, that point wasn't being made specifically about Cox (it was more in response to the general suggestion that knowing more about physics was a relevant point to communication).

I admire the input to the programmes and I'd tend to go with the argument that having someone with knowledge in the area can't help but add to the programme being made (hence the irritation with that Scots chap with long hair suddenly becoming presenter du jour but out of his area of expertise) - but I just, personally,  find his style kind of puts me to sleep. Which I could say for quite a few lecturers - university tenure isn't a guarantee of comm skills either All kudos to any presenter, however, who can enthuse people in the sciences - it's a rare skill and one in understandably great demand.

But for me, the idea of him taking over natural history progs (like this current crossover attempt) does worry me because, like this current onenow, I wouldn't be watching. And I normally enjoy them so much.

quote:

Post #: 26
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:25:54 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

I apologise, that point wasn't being made specifically about Cox (it was more in response to the general suggestion that knowing more about physics was a relevant point to communication).

Who said that? Did I say that?

I was just originally questioning the opinion that the actor was superior to the professor, when I didn't know in what context "superior" meant, especially as the actor is not a TV presenter in the same regard as the prof. Superior how? That's all.

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 10/2/2013 6:30:27 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:26:13 PM   
rawlinson

Does Bob Holness count in this list of people called Brian?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 28
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:31:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

I was just originally questioning the opinion that the actor was superior to the professor, when I didn't know in what context "superior" meant, especially as the actor is not a TV presenter in the same regard as the prof. Superior how? That's all.

He's not as annoying.

Post #: 29
RE: Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread - 10/2/2013 6:39:16 PM   
DancingClown

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

quote:

He's not as annoying.

Okay, but can he play the keyboards?

Astronomic Tune Boy

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Professor Brian Cox Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI