Title Deeds

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Title Deeds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 12:30:02 PM   
elab49

Slightly dimly I always assumed that mortgage holders kept the title deed until the mortgage was paid. We've recently moved our mortgage to another lender and have just received our title deeds in the post.

Is this normal? And, if so, is it safest to get some kind of safe deposit box for them, rather than keep them in the house?

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 1
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 1:11:35 PM   
Chief

I'm in a similar situation, although I thought that the solicitor held onto them. Which I hope not because they were next to useless. I'm hoping they get forwarded onto the bank.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 2
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 1:12:57 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have mine and they are in a filing cabinet in a cupboard

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 7/2/2013 1:19:47 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 3
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 1:18:36 PM   
elab49

Phew - I'm glad, at least, it's not odd (although our old mortgage lender certainly kept them).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 4
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 1:56:49 PM   
Chief

I actually wanted mine back because there's a nice wee bit of history there and I didn't want the bank "updating" them or something.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 9:49:20 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

It used to be the case that interested third parties I.e. your mortgage lender would keep hold of the deeds. But these days it's a major irrelevance. If your house has been bought or sold in the last 5-10 years you'll likely have the documents yourself, but even then they're mostly unimportant. Reason being is the land registry have switched to Electronic copies of the deeds, this way mortgage lenders, banks, estate agents etc can just check a electronic register rather than ask for a lose-able and easily forged piece of paper.

Further more you'll find that recent/new paper copies are just that, copies and not the original and in fact look like a standard document rather than any kind of legal document or certificate.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 7/2/2013 9:50:19 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 6
RE: Title Deeds - 7/2/2013 10:17:00 PM   
elab49

Thanks SHP - knowing the papers themselves aren't as terrifying to lose is quite a relief. 

quote:

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 7
RE: Title Deeds - 8/2/2013 7:31:15 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

It used to be the case that interested third parties I.e. your mortgage lender would keep hold of the deeds. But these days it's a major irrelevance. If your house has been bought or sold in the last 5-10 years you'll likely have the documents yourself, but even then they're mostly unimportant. Reason being is the land registry have switched to Electronic copies of the deeds, this way mortgage lenders, banks, estate agents etc can just check a electronic register rather than ask for a lose-able and easily forged piece of paper.

Further more you'll find that recent/new paper copies are just that, copies and not the original and in fact look like a standard document rather than any kind of legal document or certificate.

The entry on the register has been all that matters for at least the last twenty odd years (far longer in most parts of the country) but I agree that showing deeds as the proof of good title is no longer the usual way of going about things in most cases. The exception being unregistered land. But as that is becoming quite rare (by proportion of titles if not geographical area) it in the main can be ignored.

Just out of personal curiosity: what is a legal document supposed to look like?

Post #: 8
RE: Title Deeds - 8/2/2013 8:32:00 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978

quote:

The entry on the register has been all that matters for at least the last twenty odd years (far longer in most parts of the country) but I agree that showing deeds as the proof of good title is no longer the usual way of going about things in most cases. The exception being unregistered land. But as that is becoming quite rare (by proportion of titles if not geographical area) it in the main can be ignored.

Just out of personal curiosity: what is a legal document supposed to look like?

Well if I were to show you a marriage certificate or a birth certificate you'd notice straight away that the documents always use a more regal looking piece of paper or card, that has pre printed sections (much like company letterhead paper would) on it that are gravure printed. More recent land registry documents look more like something thats been printed on someones black and white inkjet at home.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 8/2/2013 8:34:13 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 9
RE: Title Deeds - 8/2/2013 9:02:44 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Well if I were to show you a marriage certificate or a birth certificate you'd notice straight away that the documents always use a more regal looking piece of paper or card, that has pre printed sections (much like company letterhead paper would) on it that are gravure printed. More recent land registry documents look more like something thats been printed on someones black and white inkjet at home.

As do the vast majority of legal documents. I should know; I've wasted enough time surrounded by them. Marriage and birth certificates are far from the norm. It is what these documents represent rather than how they are presented that gives them power. And that is only considering those generated by lawyers for explicitly legal purposes. You can scrawl a binding contract for a huge sum of money on the back of a napkin and it would be no less valid than a beautifully drafted and presented traditional document (even one written on vellum with fancy wax seals and lots of ribbon).

Hell a deed of transfer is just a few sheets of A4 paper with the right signatures in the right places. They don't even need to be sealed to be valid these days.

Post #: 10
RE: Title Deeds - 11/2/2013 10:29:26 AM   
Chief

The original deeds to my house are inside a folded card wallet, it shows all the previous owners back to when some consortium bought the land off of local authority. It's got a sketch of the top view of the property and measurements of the land. It all looks nice and old.

I'd rather have that than a printed sheet or a Power Point doc, whether it's just as legal or not.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Title Deeds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI