Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 6/2/2013 5:25:08 PM   
Timon

Set to premiere on Starz, the day Spartacus finishes, Da Vinci's Demons comes from David S. Goyer, the mind behind "The Dark Knight Trilogy" and upcoming feature film, Man of Steel. It presents a never-before-seen portrayal of one of the most infamous historical figures of all time…Leonardo da Vinci.

The art features da Vinci (played by Tom Riley), an artist, inventor, swordsman, dreamer and idealist, with one of his famed inventions sketched behind him. Da Vinci's flying machines have fascinated and inspired people for centuries and are a symbol of his genius and iconoclasm.

"Leonardo was a transformational figure—the original Renaissance man and the kind of genius that only emerges every thousand years or so," said series creator David S. Goyer. "What I like about this image is that it embodies a lot of the show's themes. t's aspirational. The triumph of the human spirit over ignorance and repression—the audacity of imagination."

While the da Vinci depicted in the history books was renowned for his works of art and inventions that included the calculator, army tank, diving suit, solar power and many more, "Da Vinci's Demon's" depicts a 25-year-old da Vinci on the cusp of greatness, with intellect and talents that are almost superhuman. In the series, he struggles to live within the confines of his own reality and time, tortured by his unsurpassed intellect. He begins to not only see the future, but invent it.

Oh and here's the trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc2xrscH0E

Looks quite fun. Ridiculous, but fun.

< Message edited by Timon -- 6/2/2013 5:38:13 PM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 18/3/2013 1:52:33 PM   
Timon

This starts up in a few weeks! Apparently it was all filmed in Swansea. Erm.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 18/3/2013 2:03:12 PM   
Beno

The trailer on youtube has been taken down.

I keep seeing the ads for this on FOX in the ad breaks whilst The Walking Dead is on and i have to say i am intruiged.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 3
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 18/3/2013 2:06:06 PM   
elab49

Why are they calling him 'infamous'? Seems an odd choice of word.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 4
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 18/3/2013 2:09:27 PM   
Beno

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Why are they calling him 'infamous'? Seems an odd choice of word.

I know! I thought that.

Perhaps they have made him so in this.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 18/3/2013 2:22:31 PM   
elab49

I guess they might. The age would be about pre-Ludovico but he was trying to get in there basically as a military engineer - not that dreamy.

Unless infamous means they'll be including the sodomy charges!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 18/3/2013 2:23:07 PM >

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 6
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 3/4/2013 11:51:16 AM   
Timon

Starts soon and the early word is rather positive. http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/da-vincis-demons/25061/da-vincis-demons-spoiler-free-episode-1-review-the-hanged-man

Plus Laura Haddock (Inbetweeners movie, Storage 24) is always pleasant to watch.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 7
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 3/4/2013 3:42:56 PM   
Timon

Not to mention Lara Pulver (Sherlock, Spooks) and Blake Ritson who was one of the best things in World Without End as Edward III....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfe20_G_wdk

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 3/4/2013 9:44:50 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

This starts up in a few weeks! Apparently it was all filmed in Swansea. Erm.

In and around.

A friend of mine is in this, he had an incredible time on set. He did mention things like The Borgias in similarity tone so I wouldn't expect anything incredible, just fun.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 8/4/2013 10:05:16 AM   
Timon

The Borgias really upped its game last season, so if it's in that vein of political intrigue, sexual escapades and siege warfare - i'll be happy. Coincidentally, the third season of The Borgias starts next week and if the promos are anything to go by, this year it's really going to get incestuous.

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 10
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 13/4/2013 2:32:21 PM   
Captain Black

It almost seems a bit pointless commenting on the opening episode. It is, perhaps unexpectedly, all over the shop in terms of tone. It's got a few moments where there going for Big! Drama! with the politics, then there's Leonardo's group of friends who're from a sitcom (actually my favourite part), and the lead's never quite sure how seriously any particular scene is meant to play out. But, y'know, not terrible, and could get better.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 15/4/2013 1:32:28 PM   
Timon

Yeah, tonally it was a bit all over the place. One minute it was The Borgias, then next it was 15th century Iron Man!

Still, it has potential and Tom Willis played the lead role well.

Like Hugh Bonneville's cameo. Much like Sean Pertwee's in the first episode of The Tudors.

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 12
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 17/4/2013 12:12:26 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

The Borgias really upped its game last season, so if it's in that vein of political intrigue, sexual escapades and siege warfare - i'll be happy. Coincidentally, the third season of The Borgias starts next week and if the promos are anything to go by, this year it's really going to get incestuous.

There is that, but it's also the whole 'fantasy history' thing that seems to have become popular. Frankly, it does my fruit in, I'm too much of a history geek. Some series I can "allow", Spartacus being the notable one, but most of them I end up giving up on because I'm too busy shouting at the TV about how that wouldn't have happened, or how the armour is wrong.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 13
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 17/4/2013 12:22:12 PM   
Timon

What did you make of that clockwork partridge thing in the first episode then?

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 14
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 19/4/2013 5:55:11 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Starts tonight in the UK, got it set to record.

It's already been renewed for a second season so that's got to be promising....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 15
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 20/4/2013 12:22:33 PM   
Captain Black

Just to follow up Funky's point - I'm not as fussed about 'historical fantasy' or whatnot, but I'm not wholly convinced this show (after the first episode at least) fully commits to that. That stems a lot from the tonal shifts and my opinion that the lead isn't sure how to play certain scenes. Spartacus didn't find its footing for a few episodes either, but at least that had a certain directness and sense of purpose from the word go. Apparently, subsequent episodes of this do improve a bit.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 16
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 20/4/2013 4:06:43 PM   
buffster28

Really liked the first episode but agree that the tone is a bit all over the place .

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

Post #: 17
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 21/4/2013 2:22:48 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

What did you make of that clockwork partridge thing in the first episode then?

I have to admit actually, I'll take back what I said as I thoroughly enjoyed it. It won't win any prizes for accuracy, but it's not trying to pass itself off as fact.

As for the clockwork partridge. It was pretty

That's me that is!

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 18
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 21/4/2013 3:41:36 PM   
Captain Black

No details (as I imagine most people are watching at UK speed) but episode 2 is much, much better. It's got a more purposeful narrative and everything just gels that bit better. No complaints about tonal changes either.

Invisiotext:

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 19
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 22/4/2013 9:36:31 PM   
CORLEONE

Quite enjoyed the opener. Expect it to get better too.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 20
RE: Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz - 4/5/2013 4:29:06 PM   
buffster28

Really liked the latest episode with the nuns getting ' possesed ' - brutal early scene when the one nun stabbed herself in the eye !!

What was going on with that dream Da Vinci had at the end - too weird .

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Da Vinci's Demons - New Series From Starz Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI