Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Lunar New Year Viewing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Lunar New Year Viewing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Lunar New Year Viewing - 5/2/2013 3:06:58 PM   
AxlReznor

So throughout Eastern Asia, February 10th marks the start of 15 days of celebrations for the Lunar New Year (most people just think of it exclusively as Chinese New Year and that it's only one day, unfortunately).
Last year, to mark the occasion, I watched a different Chinese/Hong Kong movie every day, and I'm thinking of doing the same this year, except expanding it to East Asian cinema.

Last year's list was:

As Tears Go By (Wong Kar-wai, 1988)
Police Story (Jackie Chan, 1985)
Mad Detective (Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fei, 2007)
Ip Man (Wilson Yip, 2008)
Assembly (Feng Xiaogang, 2007)
In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
House Of Flying Daggers (Zhang Yimou, 2004)
Red Cliff Parts I and II (John Woo, 2008-2009)
Aftershock (Feng Xiaogang, 2010)
24 City (Jia Zhangke, 2008)
Infernal Affairs (Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, 2002)
Hero (Zhang Yimou, 2002)
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Ang Lee, 2000)
Bullet In The Head (John Woo, 1990)

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to be able to do this this year, and what films I will be watching... but feel free to steal the idea and include your lists here, because it'd be good to increase everyone's knowledge of cinema from the region, I believe.
Post #: 1
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 5/2/2013 3:14:04 PM   
elab49

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3035210

This might act as an aide memoire for choices

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 2
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 5/2/2013 5:52:25 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

So throughout Eastern Asia, February 10th marks the start of 15 days of celebrations for the Lunar New Year (most people just think of it exclusively as Chinese New Year and that it's only one day, unfortunately).
Last year, to mark the occasion, I watched a different Chinese/Hong Kong movie every day, and I'm thinking of doing the same this year, except expanding it to East Asian cinema.

Last year's list was:

As Tears Go By (Wong Kar-wai, 1988)
Police Story (Jackie Chan, 1985)
Mad Detective (Johnnie To and Wai Ka-Fei, 2007)
Ip Man (Wilson Yip, 2008)

Assembly (Feng Xiaogang, 2007)
In The Mood For Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
Red Cliff Parts I and II (John Woo, 2008-2009)
Aftershock (Feng Xiaogang, 2010)

24 City (Jia Zhangke, 2008)
Infernal Affairs (Andrew Lau and Alan Mak, 2002)
Hero (Zhang Yimou, 2002)

Bullet In The Head (John Woo, 1990)

I haven't yet decided whether I'm going to be able to do this this year, and what films I will be watching... but feel free to steal the idea and include your lists here, because it'd be good to increase everyone's knowledge of cinema from the region, I believe.

Replace Assembly and Bullet in the Head with City of Life and Death and Devils on the Doorstep bro, you'll devastatingly thank me.

Oh and the bold ones are all awesome.

I've not seen 24 City, but I loved Still Life so I should really check it out.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 5/2/2013 9:38:48 PM   
elab49

Leave Assembly where it is. Aftershock is pretty bad though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

Some great films there, Axl.
Plus a couple of Wong Kar Wai films!

There are 3 on your list I haven't seen - 24 City, plus 2 I've got but haven't watched, Red Cliff and Aftershock.
And that makes me think, if I were to do this, I'd select 15 EA films that have sat unwatched in my gaff for yonkles.
In reality, there's no practical way I'll be able to manage a film a day for 15 days straight. But it would at least simplify my increasingly regular what-to-watch quandary.

Let's say, I'll make a half-assed attempt at this.
Off the top of my head, these are some of the EA films I've had unwatched for the longest, so it'll probably be (substantially less than) 15 from this lot...

- Red Beard
- Red Cliff 1 & 2
- Secret Sunshine
- Eye in the Sky
- Blood and Bones
- Bodyguards and Assassins
- The Myth
- Gion Biyashi
- Battle of Wits / Battle of the Warriors
- Protégé
- Shaolin
- 13 Assassins
- The Man From Nowhere
- Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame
- Samurai Fiction
- True Legend
- 14 Blades
- Jiang Hu - The Triad Zone

I like Battle of Wits, but I'd put in Detective Dee as it's great fun and, and I'll never stop saying this, SPOILERS? BAMBI ATTACK!!!

< Message edited by elab49 -- 5/2/2013 9:39:21 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 4
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 2:37:07 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Just from where I'm sitting I can see enough unwatched EA films to do this for three years

The 15 in closest proximity to me are

Red Cliff
City Of Life and Death
Mongol
The Myth
Lone Wolf and Cub (all of 'em)
Sasori: Prisoner 701
Grave Of The Fireflies
Love Exposure
Spring, Summer, Autumn Winter and Spring
Treeless Mountain
Snake In The Eagle's Shadow
Paprika
Late Spring
Tekkonkinkreet
Ponyo

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 9:23:13 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

Lone Wolf and Cub (all of 'em)
Sasori: Prisoner 701
Grave Of The Fireflies
Spring, Summer, Autumn Winter and Spring
Snake In The Eagle's Shadow

These are all kinds of awesome. Everyone should add Human Lanterns to their list and some Hisayasu Sato for all the romantics out there.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 6
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 10:19:06 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

I'm assuming you're (both) referring to the 1972 film not the 2008 remake, which got fairly awful reviews.

Yeah the 70s series is the way to go. I managed to get through about 20 minutes of the remake before turning it off.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Post #: 7
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 10:24:10 AM   
AxlReznor

Of your various lists, I've seen (I won't include ones that I already mentioned in my original post for obvious reasons)...

Bodyguards And Assassins - a movie that I wasn't expecting much from based on the title, and which actually ended being a far more serious and sombre affair than I'd been imagining. The hour of set-up was vital to get to know the large cast, before unleashing all kinds of awesome hell on them in the final hour. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Battle Of Wits - Was looking forward to it, and was quite disappointed. It's not bad, by any means, but it didn't feel as huge as this sort of film usually does.
Shaolin - a passable martial arts adventure movie. I enjoyed Jackie Chan's fight scenes more than the lead cast, though.
13 Assassins - absolutely loved it. As with Bodyguards & Assassins, it's a slow-build followed by a ton of action, except the hell unleashed in this film is even more awesome.
The Man From Nowhere - a brilliant film featuring some grade A violence, as well as a great performance from Won Bin as the haunted Cha Tae-sik.
Detective Dee and True Legend - both disappointed me. 14 Blades was okay, but not great, either.
City Of Life And Death - heartwrenching and brutal depiction of true life events that doesn't gain the attention it deserves in the West. It didn't officially begin until a few years later, but this was that start of World War II.
Mongol - A fantastic look at the early years of Genghis Khan. It's hard to believe how small the budget was when you look at the battle scenes which rival anything Hollywood puts out.
Grave Of The Fireflies - great film, but boy is it depressing. It's hard to believe that this was actually aimed at children and screened alongside My Neighbour Totoro as things start out bad for the children and get progressively worse.
Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... And Spring - I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this film, and films where not much happens, with hardly any dialogue or even music aren't usually my thing. But it's so beautiful looking, and features such great performances from the two lead characters that not much needs to be said.
Treeless Mountain - almost the opposite of the above, as I found myself getting bored by it, despite admittedly great performances from the two lead actresses.
Paprika - Years of rewatches, and I'm still not entirely sure what the hell is going on. But it's a great watch anyway, not only for its twisty, out there plot, but for it's seamless blend of hand-drawn and CG animation. Along with Ghost In The Shell 2, it's one of the most visually stunning animations I've ever seen.
Ponyo - great fun, if you can stomach a movie aimed squarely at pre-schoolers. Miyazaki's most straight-forward and charming since My Neighbour Totoro.

I've nearly gotten a list for this year, which I think I will write about even if I don't get to watch them all. I have a couple of dilemmas with what the final list will look like though. Firstly, I want to have as fair a representation as I can of all the countries I include, but what with China's complicated 20th Century, I'm not sure whether to count China, Hong Kong and Taiwan as one country or three. It would be easier if I counted them as one, as then I could have a straight five movies each from China, Japan and Korea.
The second dilemma is whether or not I should include movies I watched last year. Unfortunately, I am limited to what I already own, and what's available on Lovefilm Instant at the moment.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 6/2/2013 10:25:16 AM >
Post #: 8
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 10:32:46 AM   
elab49

I'm not sure straightforward is how I'd describe Totoro. An outwardly simple narrative perhaps - but what is Totoro? I think it offers more to all ages than Ponyo, though,  which does struggle a little with the source story (which is always a problem) but it's stunningly conceived, and if you avoid the dub the sparkle of the children's vocals is captivating. 

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 9
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 10:45:31 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

quote:

I'm assuming you're (both) referring to the 1972 film not the 2008 remake, which got fairly awful reviews.

Yeah the 70s series is the way to go. I managed to get through about 20 minutes of the remake before turning it off.

I have the recent one. I bought it for £1.50. Was that too much

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 10
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 10:54:23 AM   
garvielloken

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I have the recent one. I bought it for £1.50. Was that too much

Burn it. Although given your taste I would not be surprised if you like it.

I just had a quick look on Amazon and it seems the 70s Sasori trilogy is out of print and way overpriced but they do have the Hanzo the Razor boxset for under a tenner which is a bargain for some great Japanese exploitation.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 11
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 6/2/2013 11:56:44 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

I'm not sure straightforward is how I'd describe Totoro. An outwardly simple narrative perhaps - but what is Totoro? I think it offers more to all ages than Ponyo, though,  which does struggle a little with the source story (which is always a problem) but it's stunningly conceived, and if you avoid the dub the sparkle of the children's vocals is captivating. 

He's a forest spirit. I'm pretty sure it's not a question Japanese children would ask, just as western children just know what the various mythological creatures in films made over here are, because they're so ingrained in our culture.

Ponyo is another case of a movie that I would have given up on if the theme song was played earlier in the film than the end credits.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 7:32:43 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Leave Aftershock where it is. Assembly is pretty mediocre though.

FIXED FOR ACCURACY

Have you seen Confessions?

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 13
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 7:35:25 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Window Cleaner is her favourite.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 14
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 7:38:13 PM   
Deviation

Question aimed at Axl btw, we know elab has seen it. She won't shut up about how much she loved it.

Also, since we're including a Russian/Kazakh/Mongolian film here, can I recommend Prisoner of the Mountains? Prisoner of the Mountains is amazing and by the Mongol guy.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 15
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 7:39:32 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

FIXED FOR ACCURACY

Editing because I misread the query as being aimed at me as well 

< Message edited by elab49 -- 10/2/2013 7:40:16 PM >

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 16
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 9:54:19 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

quote:

FIXED FOR ACCURACY

I haven't, but I've just looked it up and put it onto my ever-expanding watchlist. It's sad when there are more than twice the amount of movies on there than what I've actually seen.

Decided that I won't have time to watch enough this year, because my life is rudely intruding on my plans. But as I would have had to resort to only films I own this time, here's what it would have looked like...

Ran (Akira Kurosawa, 1985)
Princess Mononoke (Hayao Miyazaki, 1997)
Ghost In The Shell 2: Innocence (Mamoru Oshii, 2004)
Red Cliff Parts 1 & 2 (John Woo, 2008-2009)
13 Assassins (Takashi Miike, 2011)
Howl's Moving Castle (Hayao Miyazaki, 2004)
Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
Infernal Affairs (Andrew Lau/Alan Mak, 2002)
Oldboy (Park Chan-wook, 2003)
Ghost In The Shell (Mamoru Oshii, 1995)
Akira (Katsuhiro Otomo, 1988)
Aftershock (Feng Xiaogang, 2010) - because it's a great film.

A few repeats from last year, I know, but what I can I say? I like those films.

Hopefully next year I'll get time to do this properly.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 17
RE: Lunar New Year Viewing - 10/2/2013 10:21:43 PM   
Deviation

I realized that nobody mentioned Raise the Red Lantern and Farewell my Concubine as well. If you don't watch for this list then you're a monster. Unless you haven't seen then that's fine.

quote:

quote:

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Lunar New Year Viewing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI