Bad haircuts

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Bad haircuts Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 8:50:21 PM   
Rhubarb

"some of my worst mistakes were haircuts", so said Jim Morrison. Today I had a haircut, and I had to nod and say "mmm" to the hairdresser when I was shocked and upset at how short it was. So to make me feel better, have you ever had a haircut you have been unhappy with, and how distressed were you at the time, or now, that such a thing happened.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

Post #: 1
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 9:01:32 PM   
Olaf

I think 'too short' is the usual response to a haircut, which is natural since it'll grow out in a few days and reach the desired appearance quickly. (although, perhaps the universal haircut feeling is seeing your hair at one stage and thinking how awesome it looks only for the hairdresser to keep going past that perceived best appearance.)

You should be worried if it seems too long after a cut. This happened to me and I had to finish it myself, which inexplicably ended better than you would think it would.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 9:16:07 PM   
superdan

I cut my own hair. I realised some years ago that my hair always looks shit no matter how good the barber is so I decided to stop wasting money paying someone else to do it. I never enjoyed the experience anyway, it's weird looking at yourself in the mirror for that long. Plus, there's always a point when you're getting it cut where you think 'wow, that actually looks pretty good. I'm impressed with that, nice job'... and then they carry on cutting it for another 10 minutes and you leave somewhat disappointed.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 9:33:04 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I hate having my hair cut. In an ideal world I'd go around looking like Cousin It. So I'm never happy with what my hair looks like after a cut, but I always ask for the beraest minimum I think I can get away with being being taken off before everyone I know moans at me for being a scruff.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 10:01:28 PM   
Skiba

I've had some horrendous haircuts over the years and some of the worst were quite recently when I've either left it far too long before getting it cut, or doing it myself.

I do hate having it cut as well. For a few years when I was working for a glossy magazine, I had to keep up a certain level of stylishness so I'd go to a proper hairdresser every couple of months to get it done! I really, really can't believe that I used to do that! End up spending like 45mins to an hour in there.

I shaved it all off myself a few months ago and it's now at a length that looks quite normal.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 10:12:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I think changing hairdressers is up there with some of the most stressful things to deal with.

I have had my current hairdresser for over 10 years but during the cutover from the previous one to this one, I made the mistake of visiting a local hairdesser on the high street for my parents 25th wedding anniversay do. I came out with a mullet, cried all the way home and wore a hat all night (I wasn't going to go at first!)

Having said that, I have a little book of photos of me with varying hair cuts and colours over the years and there are some shockers in there.

One of the worst ones was when I had a perm and ended up like Crystal Tips

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 4/2/2013 10:13:50 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 10:21:03 PM   
ChickMagnet

OK, I can go one, as I usually shave my head to like a grade 3/4 I invested in clippers a couple of years back. The wife used them one night, and I still don't know how, but she gave me a 0.5 grade, and didn't notice till it was too late.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Bad haircuts - 4/2/2013 10:22:48 PM   
Harley Quinn

I've got really thick hair and when I'm having it styled often the hairdresser will razor it to thin it out and give it a better shape. This particular time they went a bit mental and massacred it. It took a year for another hairdresser to repair the damage.

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

Post #: 8
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:23:31 AM   
Quint

I got a haircut once. That is all...

Actually that's not all, now that I think about it. I had it cut last summer and thought I should go pretty short as it was hot here at the time - my barber went damn short, but the worst thing was it seemed to taper my head towards the top making my head look like a chubby pyramid atop an equally chubby body. There is only one man I know with the phenomenon of having a head drastically widen towards the base; Sam Allardyce - that is who I looked like after this terrible day. Truly a bad haircut.

My Art: http://adamwayneart.com/

(in reply to Harley Quinn)
Post #: 9
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 7:54:38 AM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickMagnet

OK, I can go one, as I usually shave my head to like a grade 3/4 I invested in clippers a couple of years back. The wife used them one night, and I still don't know how, but she gave me a 0.5 grade, and didn't notice till it was too late.

My wife did that to me the day before my Mum's funeral. We were so distracted she went straight down the middle with no guard on, then, realising her mistake, tried to feather it out with a grade 1. I looked like a twat for a week, but I wasn't really that bothered. It did make us laugh though.
I haven't been to a barbers for 10 years or so. Buy a pair of clippers, Grade 2 all over, job done.
I did die my hair red when I was about 20 though, it was long, half way down my back, and I thought red would look good. It didn't.
The one downside about being an 80's/90's kid is the lack of photography/camera phones. No pictures on Facebook, no clips on Youtube. All those bad haircuts lost to foggy memories. Such a shame

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to ChickMagnet)
Post #: 10
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 9:32:40 AM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
I did die my hair red when I was about 20 though, it was long, half way down my back, and I thought red would look good. It didn't.

Being a redhead with pale skin I thought dying my hair blonde would look good. At the time I thought it did. When I look at pictures now I think I look bloody awful

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 11
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 9:40:31 AM   
Sinatra

Number 3 for me, once a month down the village barbers! Done. and that's just my pubes....

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 12
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 9:44:00 AM   
paulyboy

20 years ago they were a massive stress when I was at school, it was like an episode of The Inbetweeners, showing up with a new pair of trainers or a new haircut meant you were pretty much guaranteed at least a week of relentless pisstaking regardless. Given some of the early 90's curtains we were rocking back in those days we deserved it I guess!

Couldn't give a rat's arse now of course, it's a number two up the back (Ooh Err Missus!) and short on top, job done.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 13
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 10:39:29 AM   
superdan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

Being a redhead with pale skin I thought dying my hair blonde would look good. At the time I thought it did. When I look at pictures now I think I look bloody awful

When I was at uni I went through all that cliched stuff and dyed my hair several times - bleach blond, blue or green at various times. Thought it was cool at the time, but seeing pictures of it all now makes me realise what a twat I looked

Post #: 14
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 11:56:35 AM   
UTB

I hate having my hair cut. I've got shite fluffy hair that gets quite thick though, so I usually go once a month. It is quite irritating to ask for the same thing each time and get a different result.

I've had plenty of poor haircuts in my time. Probaby the worst being a 2 on the top with a 0 round the sides but done in a step. I looked like a cross between Forrest Gump and a tennis ball.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 15
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 12:05:28 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

hate having my hair cut. I've got shite fluffy hair that gets quite thick though

Bastard!

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 16
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 12:09:38 PM   
DancingClown

As regards my hair I have to (mis)quote Bill Hicks:

"Whenever I look in the mirror and see my hair I think 'somebody has to die'.

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 17
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 12:54:52 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

quote:

hate having my hair cut. I've got shite fluffy hair that gets quite thick though

Bastard!

I know I know... Mrs UTB is always telling me I should be glad about this, and I am, really.

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 18
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:07:10 PM   
adambatman82

I went through a period about five years ago where I had a bowl cut. Died black.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BCV6DAkCAAAN675.jpg:large

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 19
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:10:12 PM   
great_badir

I am "blessed" with hair that I cannot do anything with unless I use tons of product. I am also "blessed" with sensitive skin, with most (except the most expensive, natch) product leaving my scalp very dry and itchy.

So, that being the case, over the years I've had four haircuts:
A pudding basin haircut (from toddler up to early teens)
Long hair and ponytail (from mid teens to early 20s)
Long-ish crew cut using product for a centre part at the front (early to late 20s)

at this point, I got completely shitted off with my hair and spending time mucking about with it, and the amount of money I was spending on product, so from my late 20s I then decided to give haircut number 4 a try:
Half to number 1 all over

This remains the haircut I sport today at nearly 34. And I cut it myself.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 5/2/2013 1:11:50 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 20
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:30:46 PM   
sharkboy

After going through a whole series of cuts/styles from "long enough to sit on" to "down to the wood", my current style is a simple No.1 all over, and has been for years now.  Quick, easy and almost impossible to cock up even when self-inflicted.

Speaking of self-trimmers, any of you ever used one of these?

Apparently they're specially designed for the person who cuts his own hair.  I've been tempted in the past to get one, but I'm not sure how good they are.  Anyone out there willing to give them a recommendation?

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 21
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:37:06 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy
Speaking of self-trimmers, any of you ever used one of these?

Apparently they're specially designed for the person who cuts his own hair. I've been tempted in the past to get one, but I'm not sure how good they are. Anyone out there willing to give them a recommendation?

Whilst I am a staunch Babyliss supporter (having been incredibly disappointed with Wahl's "affordable" trimmers), I actually prefer the normal trimmer style over these new fangled round ones (although I've only tried one once, so perhaps take this with a pinch of dandruff). Easier to get a nice tidy edge at the neck and sideburn line with the standard trimmer shape (good if you are someone who is always clean shaven) for one. Generally I just didn't get on very well with it.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 22
RE: Bad haircuts - 5/2/2013 1:49:47 PM   
steffols

I hate the hairdressers also. I can go almost two years without going near a hairdressers. When I do, I always tend to get my hair cut very short so I can let it get long again and I won't have to go back again. I do have a fringe which I tend to keep trimmed by myself, and I actually tend to do a better job with it than an actual qualified hair person.

Probably my worst haircut was when I was a teenager and it got cut very very short to the point where I looked like a boy. It took years for me to get my hair back to the way it was before that disaster.

My favourite haircut was when I lived in Aberdeen and I got my hair cut short but it was a lovely cut and it sat lovely on me. It was also the most expensive haircut I've ever had but it was beautiful and it really suit me. I don't know if I could ever get my hair back to that again.

< Message edited by steffols -- 5/2/2013 1:51:51 PM >

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 23
RE: Bad haircuts - 7/2/2013 11:28:42 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

I think 'too short' is the usual response to a haircut, which is natural since it'll grow out in a few days and reach the desired appearance quickly. (although, perhaps the universal haircut feeling is seeing your hair at one stage and thinking how awesome it looks only for the hairdresser to keep going past that perceived best appearance.)

You should be worried if it seems too long after a cut. This happened to me and I had to finish it myself, which inexplicably ended better than you would think it would.

That's the most non-sensical thing I think I've read.

Too short is far worse than not short enough, not short enough can be rectified by saying I'd prefer it a bit shorter to the hair dresser. You can't ask the hair dresser to put a bit more back on, instead you can only rectify the issue by allowing enough time to pass for it to grow back, which dependent on just how short it is can take weeks/months.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 24
RE: Bad haircuts - 8/2/2013 8:59:43 AM   
joysingh

quote:

"some of my worst mistakes were haircuts", so said Jim Morrison. Today I had a haircut, and I had to nod and say "mmm" to the hairdresser when I was shocked and upset at how short it was. So to make me feel better, have you ever had a haircut you have been unhappy with, and how distressed were you at the time, or now, that such a thing happened.

no my hear cut is good on my face..but i never feel any time cut my hear bad...

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 25
RE: Bad haircuts - 8/2/2013 10:55:37 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: joysingh

no my hear cut is good on my face..but i never feel any time cut my hear bad...

That is probably the best thing I have ever read.

(in reply to joysingh)
Post #: 26
RE: Bad haircuts - 12/2/2013 12:23:33 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

One of the worst ones was when I had a perm and ended up like Crystal Tips

Snap! When I was little I wanted to be like Charlene in Neighbours. My sister and I had to beg my mum for ages. I don't think I've ever been so disappointed. It was HIDEOUS. And I never mastered using an afro comb so it always resembled a tangled rat's nest.

So obviously I got it permed two more times.

I also had a horrible pageboy style inflicted on me for a period. Why are mothers so evil towards their children's hair? I will never understand why they all seem to believe a child's fringe must begin at the back of their head.

I dyed it bright red at high school and uni. Which was nice at first, but because I'm blonde it would fade to a very unpleasant shade of orange. Now I have nothing against ginger hair (it's actually a bit of a weakness) but this was plain nasty.

I hate going to the hairdresser. They spend more time looking at their own reflections than at my hair. And they never ever give me what I ask for. Either they try and it goes wrong, or they wheel out some bizarre excuse as to why they can't.

Me: "Can I get some slightly lighter highlights please, like you did for that girl just leaving."
Them: *shaking head mournfully* "I can't do that, no."
Me: "Umm, why not?"
Them: "Well, she was a Pisces and the moon is in Capricorn, but you have split ends and Man United lost on Saturday."

At which point another hairdresser usually wanders over and joins in with the frantic head shaking and gibberish spouting.

This is why my hair is usually down to my arse.

(Apologies to any hairdressers reading this, I'm sure you are nothing like that at all.)

< Message edited by Cloud Cuckoo -- 12/2/2013 12:33:27 AM >

In Thom we trust.

Post #: 27
RE: Bad haircuts - 12/2/2013 1:10:00 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

That's the most non-sensical thing I think I've read.

Too short is far worse than not short enough, not short enough can be rectified by saying I'd prefer it a bit shorter to the hair dresser. You can't ask the hair dresser to put a bit more back on, instead you can only rectify the issue by allowing enough time to pass for it to grow back, which dependent on just how short it is can take weeks/months.

Either you're a fan of hyperbole or you lead a very reasoned and orderly existence. (I hope for your sake it's the latter.) I'm talking about after you've gotten home from the hairdressers, and it's too awkward to go back to the hairdressers to say 'more off please' since you've presumably told them how nice the haircut is when they finished initially, in keeping with standard hairdresser etiquette. And if you've experienced a situation where a haircut's gone so wrong that you've required months for your hair to reach the length you wanted it to be, I daresay you or your hairdresser is a very special kind of person.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Bad haircuts Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI