Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 6:35:56 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've just thought of a new reality Tv series. "Movie night at Scarface's house". I'd watch it!

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/8/2013 6:36:07 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 151
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 6:40:52 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I've just thought of a new reality Tv series. "Movie night at Scarface's house". I'd watch it!

"Tune in next time to Movie night at Scarface's, as I try to justify why I'm watching Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS!"

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 152
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 6:49:57 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I think we're on to a winner here!

Coincidentally, I very almost watched Ilsa on youtube the other day. It's now near the top of a very long list of YT films I need to check out.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 15/8/2013 6:50:05 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 153
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 6:55:17 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

I think we're on to a winner here!

Coincidentally, I very almost watched Ilsa on youtube the other day. It's now near the top of a very long list of YT films I need to check out.

Actually kind of tempted to do it..

and I found a copy just before My list of to-watch films on YT is bizarre. It's full of docos, foreign films and a lot of questionable films too. Like Lady Terminator for example.

Post #: 154
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 7:00:47 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Just looked that up. Sounds ace!

Much more better!

Post #: 155
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 7:24:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Just looked that up. Sounds ace!

It really does! I'm waiting until I'm drunk next so I can watch it though, looks far too amazing to watch sober

Post #: 156
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 15/8/2013 12:45:56 PM   
great_badir

The amount of stuff on YouTube now is incredible, and a far cry from those very early days when it was largely populated by Microsoft Office tips and work arounds, academic lectures, small to medium business marketing, CCTV footage of absolutely nothing happening, and Jaws re-trailered as a romantic love story (which, to be fair, is still a good watch to this day). I believe the entire Guinea Pig series (except, frustratingly, for the very good making-of doc) can be found on there completely uncut – Flowers of Flesh and Blood, He Never Dies, Android of Notre Dame and Mermaid in a Manhole are definitely on there (or at least they were a couple of months ago). As is Shogun’s Sadism, AKA Oxen Split Torturing (actually not as horrific as it sounds – we are talking mid 70s, after all).

But it’s almost become a TV channel in its own right, and quite a decent one at that. Hell, it’s even got some drips of stuff from Jerry Lewis’ The Day the Clown Cried, AND the complete version of Roger Corman's el cheapo production of Fantastic 4 (still MIA, though, is Smokey IS the Bandit, and Skidoo [although that is available on Veoh, so it’s probably only a matter of time]). You could never buy a DVD/blu or watch standard TV again and you still wouldn’t wade through everything YT has to offer.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 157
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 16/8/2013 1:16:29 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

If you look at all the cult films I've seen this year, or even just the more depraved stuff, it's all from YT It's amazing what's on there (I even saw Emanuelle In America there the other day, even featuring the horse scene). I've gone back through Rawl's top list and the cult countdown and found so much stuff there it's not funny. I might even do the same for other lists as well.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 158
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 5/9/2013 6:26:45 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Hi everyone *waves* welcome back to my odyssey of Australian film watching. The next scheduled film was to be My Brilliant Career, and I had a cheap copy lined up to purchase but that was snatched away from me. I'm currently in possession of The Odd Angry Shot so I'm flipping the two and viewing TOAS for my next entry. Should be up in a day or two

Post #: 159
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 6/9/2013 2:06:11 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Film #8 - The Odd Angry Shot (1979, Jeffrey, 1st viewing)

Shot on location in New South Wales (the second best state in Australia), this low-key and reasonably relaxed Vietnam film is exactly what I thought it might be. I've always had the perception that the average Aussie male is laid-back, enjoys a joke and loves a beer. It's a stereo-type but by god I see it a lot. So of course an Aussie war film would be more of the same yes? Well, Peter Weir's Gallipoli would beg to differ at times but The Odd Angry Shot seems more quintessential then anything. The soldiers (including John Jarratt, Bryan Brown and Australian icon Graham Kennedy) in between fighting, spend most of their time talking absolute crap, drinking a lot of beer and cracking jokes, exactly how all the returned vets I know spend most of their time. War is hell though and there are moments where the realities of what they're doing sink in, either through someone being injured or a sporadic speech from Kennedy about how soldiers are perceived back home. The Odd Angry Shot lacks a certain amount of cohesiveness to make it work on the level as other Australian films I've seen recently, but it's still very worthwhile and and an interesting alternative to the histrionic Vietnam films that populate the movie world.

Post #: 160
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 6/9/2013 1:23:17 PM   
great_badir

Not seen that for a LONG time (probably when BBC2 would often show that sort of thing very late at night - 15-20 years ago?) and I remember thinking that it was one of those nearly-there-but-not-quite films.

But I was younger then.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 161
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 7/9/2013 3:28:36 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Not seen that for a LONG time (probably when BBC2 would often show that sort of thing very late at night - 15-20 years ago?) and I remember thinking that it was one of those nearly-there-but-not-quite films.

But I was younger then.

No, you were pretty much spot on with that assessment It's good mind you, just not great (which is what a lot of people I know claim it to be)

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 162
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI