Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 5/2/2013 9:19:15 AM   
elab49

Not even how impressively the toxicity of the personal relationship was created?

Proof
Priscilla
Japanese Story
Noise
Kenny
Strictly Ballroom
My brilliant Career
Death in Brunswick

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 31
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 5/2/2013 12:36:59 PM   
great_badir

Nah.

I should like it, cos itís sparse, nihilistic and it has the basic man-versus-nature vibe Iím quite fond of (cf. my love of Malick and Herzog). ButÖI donít know, I just donít connect with it on any level and it bores me to tears. I first saw it years ago on TV (no doubt either BBC2 or channel 4) and I remembered not being overly keen then, but I decided to watch it again last year, wondering if I had been a bit unfair to it (cos I didnít really remember too much about it). But I think I liked it even less this time round.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 32
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 5/2/2013 4:48:00 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: SadFace

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Fear (s) of the Dark got a mixed reception, but I absolutely loved it

This. While I didn't think the quality was entirely consistent throughout (although still very good/excellent), the fantastically creepy animation kept me intrigued.

Does that mean you'll be voting for it in the animation poll?*hint hint*

quote:

La Maison en Petits Cubes - That was utterly sublime. I might be delving into hyperbole but that might be one of the greatest short films I've ever seen. Really really beautiful.

Cat Piano - That was also excellent. The animation style was really well done and Cave's narration is obviously awesome as well.

Glad you enjoyed them, if you want to add them to your animation list then feel free.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 33
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 5/2/2013 11:56:40 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Malcolm (1986)
As Time Goes By (1988)
The Castle (1997)
Mad Dog Morgan (1976) Warning - decidedly patchy, but watchable
Newsfront (1978)
Heatwave (1982)

The Castle is an institution over here It would take me a fair while trying to find someone who hasn't seen it let's just say. I shall add the other ones to the list!

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Proof
Priscilla
Japanese Story
Noise
Kenny
Strictly Ballroom
My brilliant Career
Death in Brunswick

Is Noise the film with Brenden Cowell? Because I've seen that and Kenny as well

I have a slight anti-Baz bias which might hinder my chances of seeing Strictly Ballroom, but the rest sound great (I've seen most of Priscilla but never in full).

Cheers guys, I appreciate it!

quote:

Glad you enjoyed them, if you want to add them to your animation list then feel free.

I'll re-edit my list later and send it off

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 34
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 6/2/2013 3:43:13 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Film #1 - Wake In Fright (1971, Kotcheff)

My Australian film odyssey begins with a film that shows the very negative aspects of the small-town in the outback culture. Ted Kotcheff's slow-burning and nightmarish film uses the out-back and small towns as it's desolate canvas, as we watch school-teacher John Grant (Gary Bond) slowly but surely descend to rock-bottom. On his way back to Sydney from his remote teaching job in Tiboonda, he stops into Bundanyabba, a slightly less remote location, but still rooted in the outback mentality. He encounters Jock (Chips Rafferty) a local police officer, at a local pub where Jock feeds him numerous beers and introduces him to the local gambling scene. John, who is more then a little disgruntled by the fact he's entered an agreement with the government, which forced him into a financial bond and his subsequent posting in Tiboonda, decides he's going to buy his way out of his self described slavery, by gambling. After a brief winning streak, he loses everything, including the money he needed to fly back to Sydney. "Luckily", the locals around the "Yabba" (including Donald Pleasence, Jack Thompson, Sylvia Kay and more) are more then happy to help him out with lodging and food, as long as he also participates in their lifestyles of rampant alcoholism, misogyny and kangaroo hunting. To say that Wake In Fright attacks the "bogan" mentality and small-town mindset of country Australia is an understatement. It savagely attacks it, not unlike the dog in the roo hunting scenes. The film shows casual alcoholism, hunting and more as bleak realities and negative aspects of the outback. The fact the film balances those themes and depicts a man's spiralling descent into madness so deftly, really shows why it is seen as a major work in Australian film history. It's a horror film without serial killers, or grotesque monsters. It's a horror film where the evil is casual human nature and how a reasonably innocent human being can be caught up in it's web. Truly distressing stuff.

Note: And yes, the kangaroo hunting scenes are incredibly upsetting. If animal cruelty or harm is something that you can't tolerate, even on film, you'd be best not to watch Wake In Fright.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 6/2/2013 3:47:30 AM >

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 35
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 6/2/2013 9:33:50 AM   
garvielloken

Great review. I've had this sitting around for ages unwatched. I might actually get off my lazy arse and watch it tonight.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

Post #: 36
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 6/2/2013 2:24:53 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

Film #1 - Wake In Fright (1971, Kotcheff)

My Australian film odyssey begins with a film that shows the very negative aspects of the small-town in the outback culture. Ted Kotcheff's slow-burning and nightmarish film uses the out-back and small towns as it's desolate canvas, as we watch school-teacher John Grant (Gary Bond) slowly but surely descend to rock-bottom. On his way back to Sydney from his remote teaching job in Tiboonda, he stops into Bundanyabba, a slightly less remote location, but still rooted in the outback mentality. He encounters Jock (Chips Rafferty) a local police officer, at a local pub where Jock feeds him numerous beers and introduces him to the local gambling scene. John, who is more then a little disgruntled by the fact he's entered an agreement with the government, which forced him into a financial bond and his subsequent posting in Tiboonda, decides he's going to buy his way out of his self described slavery, by gambling. After a brief winning streak, he loses everything, including the money he needed to fly back to Sydney. "Luckily", the locals around the "Yabba" (including Donald Pleasence, Jack Thompson, Sylvia Kay and more) are more then happy to help him out with lodging and food, as long as he also participates in their lifestyles of rampant alcoholism, misogyny and kangaroo hunting. To say that Wake In Fright attacks the "bogan" mentality and small-town mindset of country Australia is an understatement. It savagely attacks it, not unlike the dog in the roo hunting scenes. The film shows casual alcoholism, hunting and more as bleak realities and negative aspects of the outback. The fact the film balances those themes and depicts a man's spiralling descent into madness so deftly, really shows why it is seen as a major work in Australian film history. It's a horror film without serial killers, or grotesque monsters. It's a horror film where the evil is casual human nature and how a reasonably innocent human being can be caught up in it's web. Truly distressing stuff.

Note: And yes, the kangaroo hunting scenes are incredibly upsetting. If animal cruelty or harm is something that you can't tolerate, even on film, you'd be best not to watch Wake In Fright.

Great review, mate. Glad you... well, liked is the wrong word, appreciated it.

Post #: 37
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 7/2/2013 3:07:44 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Thanks guys

quote:

ORIGINAL: garvielloken

I've had this sitting around for ages unwatched. I might actually get off my lazy arse and watch it tonight.

You definitely should, it's superb.

quote:

Glad you... well, liked is the wrong word, appreciated it.

It reminded me a lot of Straw Dogs which is a compliment because I really "appreciate" that film as well

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 38
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 7/2/2013 12:33:53 PM   
great_badir

Nice review, especially interesting from an Aussie perspective.

Check out my English perspective, if you want - click on FAVE FILMS in my sig and go to page 9, it's after Hot Rod.

But yeah - only a handful of films in my 25-odd year career in hardcore film buffery have knocked me right off my feet, and Wake in Fright is right near the top. It's an amazing piece of film making by anyone's standards.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 39
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 7/2/2013 12:57:21 PM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

Cat Piano

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj4RBmU-PIo

Less than ten minutes long and narrated by Nick Cave.

"A bohemian behemoth, post-midnight soiree" is such a fantastic line - it always reminds me of The Master and Margarita. It's a great animation, though I find the whole idea of the Cat Piano so unpleasant; I forgot to vote for it when we did the horror list.

Looking forward to the list, Brooksy - I haven't seen much of Aussie cinema, so any recommendations will be great. Wake in Fright is one I've meant to watch, but never got round to.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 40
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 8/2/2013 12:31:32 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Nice review, especially interesting from an Aussie perspective.

Check out my English perspective, if you want - click on FAVE FILMS in my sig and go to page 9, it's after Hot Rod.

But yeah - only a handful of films in my 25-odd year career in hardcore film buffery have knocked me right off my feet, and Wake in Fright is right near the top. It's an amazing piece of film making by anyone's standards.

The weird thing is, I also live in a particularly small country town so it was all a little uncomfortable. Luckily, I don't live in an arid wasteland, and the people around here aren't that bad

I shall do soon! Also, respect to having Hot Rod on a Fave Films list

It really is a brilliant film, I think a re-watch might even sweeten the deal for me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: MovieAddict247

quote:

"A bohemian behemoth, post-midnight soiree" is such a fantastic line - it always reminds me of The Master and Margarita. It's a great animation, though I find the whole idea of the Cat Piano so unpleasant; I forgot to vote for it when we did the horror list.

Looking forward to the list, Brooksy - I haven't seen much of Aussie cinema, so any recommendations will be great. Wake in Fright is one I've meant to watch, but never got round to.

Being a cat-lover it was very nasty but the animation was superb so I ignored the horribleness.

Well I guess our education will be running simultaneously because I'm also pretty inexperienced with Australian film For the record though, everyone should see Andrew Dominiks first film, Chopper. And Rawls badgered me about watching it and it was worth it trust me. If you get a chance and can stand the sight of kangaroos being shot, give it a try.

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 8/2/2013 12:33:53 AM >

Post #: 41
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 8/2/2013 6:06:27 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'll give Wake In Fright a go once it goes under £20 on amazon

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 42
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 19/2/2013 11:19:08 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

My review for Walkabout shall be up later today. The next film, The Adventures of Barry Mckenzie I'll see next week due to the fact I have a stack of films to watch for various polls.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 43
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 19/2/2013 11:24:08 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

My review for Walkabout shall be up later today.

Can you type one handed?

Post #: 44
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 19/2/2013 11:26:30 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

quote:

My review for Walkabout shall be up later today.

Can you type one handed?

I will be honest though, most "classic" nude scenes in films often disappoint me but that swimming scene did not. Stunning er ah cinematography in the film as well.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 45
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 19/2/2013 11:59:50 PM   
rawlinson

Such a perv'.

Post #: 46
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 19/2/2013 11:59:58 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Film #2 Walkabout (1971, Roeg)

You could argue whether Walkabout deserves to be placed on an Aussie films list. It's director Nicholas Roeg is English, as is his son who plays the young boy, Jenny Agutter who plays the older sister is British as is Edward Bond who wrote the script. However, what Walkabout has in it's favour is the use of the Australian wilderness. Roeg uses exceptional locations to display the isolation of the British preppy siblings who are stranded in the middle of nowhere after their father goes off the deep end and attempts to kill them before torching his car and killing himself. The thing that really stood out to me was the fact he contrasted the arid dry areas, with the picturesque Sydney shots (which is quite beautiful even if I hate the city itself a bit) and even non-sun parched areas. I've never actually been to where they filmed (Alice Springs which is close enough to the direct centre of our nation) but it's implied they're in South Australia which is a lovely lovely place mixed with the verdant green areas of my home state Victoria and the dry areas of the west. The locations and wonderful cinematography and music in Walkabout is really excellent. It certainly alleviated the negative aspects of the film. There were certain times that I lost a little interest I'll be honest. That can be explained in part to boredom (it's a very slow film) but also day-dreaming as well. Walkabout is a film of harsh reality and human contact through barriers of language and culture but it has a dream-like quality so losing yourself in the film is quite easy if you allow it. On another note, Jenny Agutter is really quite good in this film. Her un-named sister is head-strong and quietly determined but also fragile at the same time. David Gulpilil is also great as the young walkabout Aborigine who develops a bond with the two siblings as he tries to help them find their way back to civilisation. The bond between Gulpili and Agutter especially is a subject I won't touch on due to spoilers. Nicholas's young son Luc, is frankly annoying as all hell if I'm being truthful. There were times I struggled when he was on screen for a long amount of time but the films strengths kept me going. Walkabout isn't an easy watch, it's a distant, yet involving mood piece that does demand a little from the viewer, but if you give yourself to the film it's not incredibly hard to see why it's considered so essential in terms of importance to Australian film history.

Post #: 47
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 12:00:50 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Such a perv'.

Hey! I just smashed out a review without mentioning the scene go me

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 48
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 12:03:06 AM   
rawlinson

One thing I love about early Roeg films is how strong the locations are and how important they are to the story, they really become another character, and the bush (not Jenny's) is no different here.

Post #: 49
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 12:03:31 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

Such a perv'.

Hey! I just smashed one out

Post #: 50
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 12:05:57 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

One thing I love about early Roeg films is how strong the locations are and how important they are to the story, they really become another character, and the bush (not Jenny's) is no different here.

This is the first Roeg film I've ever seen but you've definitely got a point. It's interesting how both Wake in Fright and Walkabout's locations are so important to the films themselves. I felt the same about the Yabba, it's essentially another character in the film.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Such a perv'.

Hey! I just smashed one out

I should have expected that

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 20/2/2013 12:07:04 AM >

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 51
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 2:07:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I don't like Agutter and I've yet to see a Roeg film I like. Yeah, Walkabout isn't a favourite.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

Post #: 52
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 20/2/2013 11:53:02 AM   
great_badir

I'm fond of Walkabout, but I completely get the uncertainty about Roeg - he seems to have become one of Britain's (if not the world's) greatest directors based on nothing more than four or five films, only two or three of which are very good ones.

I'm loathe to say Roeg has made a masterpiece - Don't Look Now, in my opinion, comes closest, but his other (very) good films (Performance, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Walkabout itself) suffer from the same detachment and occasional lapses in both acting and script quality.

And as for just about everything he made from the mid 80s onwards

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 53
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 21/2/2013 2:39:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I don't like Agutter and I've yet to see a Roeg film I like. Yeah, Walkabout isn't a favourite.

Why don't you like her? Annoying screen presence for you?

quote:

I'm fond of Walkabout, but I completely get the uncertainty about Roeg - he seems to have become one of Britain's (if not the world's) greatest directors based on nothing more than four or five films, only two or three of which are very good ones.

I'm loathe to say Roeg has made a masterpiece - Don't Look Now, in my opinion, comes closest, but his other (very) good films (Performance, The Man Who Fell to Earth and Walkabout itself) suffer from the same detachment and occasional lapses in both acting and script quality.

And as for just about everything he made from the mid 80s onwards

Yeah I'm not particularly all that interested in watching many of his films to be honest. Don't Look Now does sound interesting though so I'll probably end up watching that.

Post #: 54
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 21/2/2013 5:20:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

Why don't you like her? Annoying screen presence for you?

Pretty much. The only time she didn't annoy me was in The Railway Children.

Much more better!

Post #: 55
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 21/2/2013 10:09:10 AM   
Discodez

No one has mentioned "Chopper" yet. Great film and the role that shot Eric Bana to international fame.

Post #: 56
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 23/2/2013 10:36:00 PM   
Scruffybobby

Yup Chopper is great.

You could also give Red Hill a look - a decent little modern Outback Western

(in reply to Discodez)
Post #: 57
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 24/2/2013 1:54:15 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Pretty much. The only time she didn't annoy me was in The Railway Children.

Never seen it I will investigate though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Discodez

No one has mentioned "Chopper" yet. Great film and the role that shot Eric Bana to international fame.

I thought I did mention it earlier but either way Chopper's an excellent film. My favourite Dominik film as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Yup Chopper is great.

Is that the film with Ryan Kwanten? I always forget he's Australian mainly because I only really know him as Jason from True Blood

Post #: 58
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 24/2/2013 8:11:19 AM   
impqueen

Great write-ups for Wake in Fright and Walkabout

I second wholeheartedly Proof, Japanese Story and Death in Brunswick.

If youíve not see check out >
Long Weekend (1978)
Gallipoli (1981)
GhostsÖ of the Civil Dead (1988)
The Castle (1997)
The Interview (1998)
The Dish (2000)
Lantana (2001)
Somersault (2004)
Little Fish (2005)
The Proposition (2005)
Candy (2006)
Jindabyne (2006)
Ten Canoes (2006)
Mary & Max (2009)
Animal Kingdom (2010)

Yes, always.

Post #: 59
RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film - 24/2/2013 7:12:16 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Yup Chopper is great.

Is that the film with Ryan Kwanten? I always forget he's Australian mainly because I only really know him as Jason from True Blood

It is indeed

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Brooksy's Trek Through Aussie Film Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI