Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Chained - 2/2/2013 6:58:52 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
From a non-horror goer perspective - 2/2/2013 6:58:53 PM   
Kumadori

While I'm not much of a horror goer (the genre more intrigues me than anything), I'll start by saying the subject matter really isn't something I'd normally watch. But the film was presented in such a way that it wasn't exploiting the situation as much as it could have done.

The casting was perfect in my opinion. The 2 main actors complimented each other really well, so much so that their relationship actually drew me in far more than I could have anticipated. I would describe it more as a psychological horror film than anything else. The fact most of the violence in the film is implied off screen rather than shown was a big plus point for me (and partly why I was able to sit through all of it.)

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Chained is exceptional work displaying the talents of ... - 11/6/2013 2:43:21 PM   
bleedingcritic

Review PART 1: The daughter of David Lynch directed Chained (2012). I watched this film very late and just managed to get to sleep afterwards, only just. Stanley Kubrick's 'Full Metal Jacket' (1987) included the actor Vincent D'Onofrio who gained weight to play the character Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence, in this production Chained Vincent plays Bob. Vincent D'Onofrio is absolutely amazing in this mentally and emotionally distressing film. One of the best films about isolation is the timeless The Shining and the best film demonstrating claustrophobia is Buried. Chained is the best film you'll tolerate about captivity, closely followed by the clever 5150 Elm's Way.
The more difficult acting role in Chained is played by Eamon Farren, his vulnerability reminded me of Thomas Jerome Newton played by David Bowie in 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' (1976). Eamon is an excellent actor and with Vincent D'Onofrio involved, it's clear tremendous thought and care went into the casting. I recognized British actress Julia Ormond playing the mother, you may remember her as the love interest in 'Legends of The Fall' (1994). Director Jennifer Lynch co wrote the screenplay for Chained with Damien O'Donnell, who used to work as a sports administrator and now writes within the film industry. Chained draws on an unbearable to watch concept, a situation which reminded me of some horrific news stories that I watched and read about in disbelief.
Online chat-room abduction is chillingly demonstrated in Megan is Missing and during the first quarter of Chained you are served an example of an abduction that is so sudden and terrifying, because it could happen to you if your at the wrong place at the wrong time. The script is the best I've heard in a while, there's no other film I've seen like this and be warned you need to be made of a certain type of metal to get through it. (due to restricted word upload, this is the 1st of two).

< Message edited by bleedingcritic -- 12/6/2013 12:30:19 PM >

bleedingcritic™
@bleedingfilms
© Copyright 2013 bleedingfilms.com™

Post #: 3
Part 2 of bleedingcritic's review: - 12/6/2013 12:28:21 PM   
bleedingcritic

Review PART 2...Be warned you need to be made of a certain type of metal to get through it, especially if you're a parent because this filmed experience will be worse for you than anyone else.

I was initially disappointed with the last 15 minutes because it felt rushed, like it was added on by someone else. However, after a couple of days I managed to forgive because 90% of the film works, providing a story that pulls you along an uncomfortable, insane and actually sad journey. You'll be so involved with what's happening on-screen you'll want to jump into the film to assist the vulnerable characters, it's mentally agonizing and intense. During this dark experience I thought Chained could actually work as a stage play.

Chained (2012) is exceptional work displaying the talents of all involved, telling a story that will find a slot in your memory and will stay there until you die.

< Message edited by bleedingcritic -- 12/6/2013 12:31:56 PM >

bleedingcritic™
@bleedingfilms
© Copyright 2013 bleedingfilms.com™

Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Chained Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI