Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

House of Cards

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> House of Cards Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
House of Cards - 31/1/2013 4:13:08 PM   
SarahBanks195

This new drama from Netflix cost 100 million to make just 13 episodes!

Hope its as good as Spacey says otherwise MASSIVE waste of money for Netflix (fingers crossed for them)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FkhxiQFMZ94#
Post #: 1
RE: House of Cards - 1/2/2013 3:14:45 AM   
gtrekker

Looking forward to this, if it's good will probably watch all 13 episodes over the weekend. Spacey rocks

''Due to the sad state of TV shows at the moment it's a good thing there are TV DVD boxsets''

my youtube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/thegtrekker?feature=mhee

(in reply to SarahBanks195)
Post #: 2
RE: House of Cards - 1/2/2013 2:26:33 PM   
Fit Kisto

Looks good, I'm going to wait for Arrested Development S4 to get released, then watch them both on the free Netflix trial.

It will be interesting to see how Netflix respond to people trying to torrent the series. They must have some kind of plan to deal with this if/when it happens.

< Message edited by Fit Kisto -- 3/2/2013 5:55:22 PM >

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to gtrekker)
Post #: 3
RE: House of Cards - 2/2/2013 9:56:44 AM   
Castor Troy

I'm three episodes in and loving it. The third episode slowed the pace somewhat but other than that it's fantastic. I love that it feels like a Fincher film (Social Network/Zodiac) as well as the obvious comparison of The West Wing. All the cast are really strong. Can't wait to get in to the rest of it.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 4
RE: House of Cards - 2/2/2013 11:47:19 AM   
El Becks

I would heartily recommend the original BBC series

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 5
RE: House of Cards - 6/2/2013 1:01:52 PM   
Timon

While I've heard good things about the UK version, the whole US political system is much more interesting to me (thanks to my love of the West Wing), so I've plowed into this. Only seen the first episode, but loving it so far.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to El Becks)
Post #: 6
RE: House of Cards - 6/2/2013 4:50:08 PM   
Castor Troy

I finished this yesterday can't recommend it enough. It might be one of the strongest first seasons of a TV show I've seen. It really feels like it was a fully formed story told perfectly - no filler, no unessecary story lines etc. It turns pretty dark in the last few episodes but still keeps things realistic and utterly compelling. There's not a single weak character or indeed actor in the entire cast - every scene feeding every thing - you never get bored.

The individual human mind. In a child's ability to master the multiplication table, there is more holiness than all your shouted hosannas and holy holies. An idea is more important than a monument and the advancement of Man's knowledge more miraculous than all the sticks turned to snakes and the parting of the waters.

Post #: 7
RE: House of Cards - 20/2/2013 3:24:05 PM   
Whistler

I started last night and I'm already on the fifth episode. Hooked.

(in reply to Castor Troy)
Post #: 8
RE: House of Cards - 21/2/2013 11:34:32 AM   
ebrown

My only complain: why couldn't they shoot and release six season at once?

Amazing, amazing, amazing. Is there any date set for second season?

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 9
RE: House of Cards - 21/2/2013 1:49:36 PM   
discodave101

I hammered it all in a week. Absolute joy to watch. I look forward to many more seasons of this, and many more other original Netflix shows released in the same way. Just having the ability to choose my own viewing schedule with it is so liberating. A bit off topic, but Netflix is just outstanding value. I hardly ever watch normal TV anymore.

The only issue is forum discussion. How do we chat about it where we're all at different points?

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to ebrown)
Post #: 10
RE: House of Cards - 21/2/2013 10:33:28 PM   
Citizen Dildo

Agree with your point about discussion. The binge option that Netflix have offered also takes episode reviews out of the equation. Usually for something of this quality and complexity I like to read up following each weekly instalment - see if there are things I've missed.

I'm on episode 6, it's compelling stuff so far and I agree there are no weak links, not even Mara.

Particularly find Claire fascinating and she's probably where forum chat or blog reviews would shed some light for me. Couldn't really figure out what the woman (then young couple) in the graveyard signified when Claire was jogging? And in epi 6 we have her exchange with the homeless guy outside her office.

Definitely a story that demands your attention and there's very little that compares at the moment.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 11
RE: House of Cards - 21/2/2013 10:55:37 PM   
Whistler

Each episode is just flying by for me. I'm not usually one to power through a TV series no matter how much I love it because I quite like to savior having new episodes to watch, but with this I just can't help myself from sticking on the next episode as soon as the last finishes. So gripping, so intriguing, so wickedly stylish.

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 12
RE: House of Cards - 25/2/2013 8:52:04 PM   
Whistler

Just polished off the last episode. Amazing.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 13
RE: House of Cards - 20/3/2013 2:08:44 PM   
Mr Gittes

Seconded. Breathtaking television. Can't wait for more, although I hope Fincher makes The Girl Who Played With Fire soon. It's not like the show will suffer; the other directors are doing amazing jobs.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 14
RE: House of Cards - 20/3/2013 2:11:50 PM   
Timon

Was anyone else disappointed by the ending of the last episode? It felt like it needed one more to wrap everything up. Frank and his wife going jogging just felt... underwhelming.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 15
RE: House of Cards - 20/3/2013 2:20:50 PM   
Mr Gittes

I totally understand where you're coming from, but I quite liked it. Nice low-key character moments and more of a calm-before-the-storm feeling. More of a build-up to the second season than a huge climax.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 16
RE: House of Cards - 20/3/2013 2:56:21 PM   
shool

Great series. Looking forward to the next series.

First class TV.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 17
RE: House of Cards - 10/7/2013 12:10:56 AM   
James2183

11 episodes in. Started off really strongly but the amount of characters that are wankers is really putting me off. Spacey is putting in a strong performance but there are no redeeming characters in this that you can warm to or feel any sense of a connection with (other than Christina).

Regardless of what I feel about the show however, it's clear to see Netflix are going to be a force to be reckoned with in the next few years as a production company. They can keep their monthly fees low as long as more people join them, which amounts to more funds that can be spent on original series such as this one. I was in a development meeting a few weeks back and it seems to suggest that it's going to be the likes of Amazon and Netflix that are going to be players alongside HBO and even the BBC.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 18
RE: House of Cards - 5/8/2013 11:18:49 AM   
primebhoy

Finished this in a few days last week after getting access from my sister....

What a brilliant show. Echo comments from others that each episode doesnt feel like filler, and there are not pointless storylines.

Loving Spacey as Francis, although I think my favourite character is Claire. From the get go I figured she was one not to be messed with. Plus she is beautiful!

Anyone who has netflix has to give this a watch, you wont be disappointed!!

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 19
RE: House of Cards - 5/8/2013 1:36:28 PM   
pete_traynor

Signed up to NetFlix in preparation for Breaking Bad next week and saw this pop up.

Only 3 episodes in but it is a real class act! The 2 opening episodes by Fincher were absolutely great.

Iíve not really been that taken with anything Spacey has done in a few years but he is clearly relishing playing Francis! Great character and superb performance.

Season 2?

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to primebhoy)
Post #: 20
RE: House of Cards - 12/9/2013 8:06:17 AM   
demoncleaner

Three episodes in and I'm thoroughly enjoying this I have to say. I was circumspect because I love the BBC version and so of course how dare they and all that.

I didn't overly enjoy the first episode that much because I was too busy looking for the joins but a minute into the second I was going with this as very much its own animal. The thing I'm liking most is my first introduction to congress. US politics without a shred of idealism, just the grind of bureaucracy made fascinating and entertaining. It's too much of a cliche that dramatised politics is the ken of martyred idealists or vain totems of personality. Spacey's Underwood has the swagger sure, but with the passing of an education bill I think for the first time I got the feeling, this is an actual meaty, substantial job and this fucker's really good at it.

I don't have a Westwing to compare it to (nor do I want to spoil my prejudiced vision of US planners as nothing short of stone-cold diabolists). This fits the bill.

Post #: 21
RE: House of Cards - 14/2/2014 4:43:18 PM   
Whistler

Well season 2 certainly started with a bang. Woah.

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 22
RE: House of Cards - 14/2/2014 4:46:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Only had time to watch the Season 2 opener today. Wow.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 23
RE: House of Cards - 14/2/2014 5:44:34 PM   
demoncleaner

Out of work and on my way home to get a few episodes of this under my belt. Season One was so good.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 24
RE: House of Cards - 14/2/2014 5:53:29 PM   
James2183

Been laid on the sofa this afternoon ill and managed to get a few under my belt.

Season opener was amazing. The last 10 minutes was some of the best TV I've seen in a while.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

Post #: 25
RE: House of Cards - 15/2/2014 1:32:46 AM   
ElephantBoy

First season was one of the best things of the last few years, can't wait to dive into the second!

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 26
RE: House of Cards - 16/2/2014 1:18:29 PM   
ElephantBoy

Yeah season 2 really did start off with a gut punch, didn't see that coming! And without giving anything it completely changes the direction of one of the major storylines. It is also interesting than they are bringing out Claire's sinister side now, showing her as being just as ruthless when under threat as Frank.

Naturally after such a good opener, the second episode was always going to be a come down, but I am still hooked and plan of finishing this off within the next week.

< Message edited by ElephantBoy -- 16/2/2014 7:51:38 PM >

Post #: 27
RE: House of Cards - 16/2/2014 1:22:17 PM   
demoncleaner

I've one episode to go. I think its been fantastic the whole way through. Even better than the excellent season one in my opinion.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 28
RE: House of Cards - 16/2/2014 1:41:34 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

I've one episode to go. I think its been fantastic the whole way through. Even better than the excellent season one in my opinion.

I agree, it's been really excellent so far. Every single episode, from the season 1 opener, has been top-notch.

Post #: 29
RE: House of Cards - 29/4/2014 9:20:38 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I fucking love Frank Underwood. You shouldn't, he's a cunt. It can't be helped, you have to root for him.

Thought Season 2 was arguably even better than the first. Such a fantastic show, can't wait for Season 3.

Poor Doug!

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> House of Cards Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI