Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 11:34:41 AM   
Timon

So after the problems I was having with my LG LCD TV with the backlight failing (SEE HERE), I bit the bullet and got a new TV - a Panasonic plasma.

To be more specific, the 42 inch Panasonic TX-42X50B. Now it's a basic plasma TV (just discovered it's only 720p, I feel disgusted), but thus far I have been very impressed.

It has 2 HDMI ports and one SCART which we use for our Virgin cable box. Now reviews say I can get Freeview HD channels through it, so my question is how.

The two HDMI ports are taken up with my DVD player and PS3 respectively, and there is no aerial attached to the TV, so how am I meant to get these channels.

Also, strangely the TV isn't producing sound by itself. We run everything through a amp/surround system so it doesn't matter, but my girlfriend is the type to just put the volume up on the TV rather than the surround sound and I noticed that when she's watching stuff on the cable box, there is no sound unless the amp is on.

I've also been told about a 'burning in' period with plasmas - what is this?

Any help would be great and if you've got the TX-42X50B, I'd love to hear you thoughts. Personally I think it was a bargain for £320. Especially when my 37 LG LCD was £799 five years ago.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh
Post #: 1
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:01:43 PM   
paulyboy

I've got a Panasonic Plasma with Freeview HD, so I'll endeavour to answer some of the questions:

1. When you say there's no aerial connected to it, do you just mean you haven't plugged one in or there is literally no connection for such a thing? For Freeview HD you need an aerial plugging in, simple as that.

2. The sound issue could be a multitude of things, from a setting on the Virgin Box (or TV) all the way down to a broken TV. First thing I'd do is see if you have the same problem with the PS3, plug it into the same HDMI socket as well just to be sure. Take the problem from there...

3. Burn-in on modern Plasma TVs is really a bit of a non-issue these days, just avoid any prolonged static images on the set for a the first few hours you use it just to be safe, otherwise I really wouldn't even worry about it.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 2
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:06:56 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

I've got a Panasonic Plasma with Freeview HD, so I'll endeavour to answer some of the questions:

1. When you say there's no aerial connected to it, do you just mean you haven't plugged one in or there is literally no connection for such a thing? For Freeview HD you need an aerial plugging in, simple as that.

2. The sound issue could be a multitude of things, from a setting on the Virgin Box (or TV) all the way down to a broken TV. First thing I'd do is see if you have the same problem with the PS3, plug it into the same HDMI socket as well just to be sure. Take the problem from there...

3. Burn-in on modern Plasma TVs is really a bit of a non-issue these days, just avoid any prolonged static images on the set for a the first few hours you use it just to be safe, otherwise I really wouldn't even worry about it.

1. Yeah, we don't have an aerial - just an standard Virgin box that is plugged into the TV's scart connection.

2. I think i'll just flick through the manual properly.

3. Well, that's good to know. Just worried with computer games where you have maps or certain icons static on the screen during the entire gameplay.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:17:16 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

1. Yeah, we don't have an aerial - just an standard Virgin box that is plugged into the TV's scart connection.

2. I think i'll just flick through the manual properly.

3. Well, that's good to know. Just worried with computer games where you have maps or certain icons static on the screen during the entire gameplay.

Sadly without an aerial you're stuffed on the Freeview HD front, you could by a portable aerial, although I don't know how well these fair with HD signals?

I play computer games on mine a fair amount and have often left the screen paused and gone off for a bit as well, you might see some residual image rentention from time to time, but it dissipates after a few minutes of watching something else.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 4
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:26:52 PM   
Timon

Yeah, we've got a portable aerial jobby, but it's rather cack and I was wondering how good it would really be for HD signals. Do you need a certain type of aerial receiver?

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 5
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:30:18 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I have a Panasonic 42 Plasma and love it.

No Skyrim inprints from when I was continuously on it last year

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 6
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:38:50 PM   
Timon

It's quite a bit darker than my LCD. Still getting used to it.

Plus the fact it is a mere 720p!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 12:47:37 PM   
UTB

You didn't consider 1080p did you?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 8
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 1:10:16 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

Yeah, we've got a portable aerial jobby, but it's rather cack and I was wondering how good it would really be for HD signals. Do you need a certain type of aerial receiver?

Your portable aerial needs to really be one built for Freeview HD and I'd only advise getting one with an amplifier built in.

We use the house aerial on the downstairs TV for Freeview HD and a portable one upstairs for the same and to be honest they both perform just as well.

I made the switch from LCD to Plasma last year, also a Panasonic and after being very firmly in the LCD > Plasma camp I have warmed to it massively and actually prefer the picture produced by it.

You've chosen a good brand even if you are disappointed by the resolution though Timon, I doubt you'll find a more reliable TV manufacturer to be honest. And I wouldn't let the 720p factor get you down too much if it's Virgin HD or Freeview HD or infact a PS3 or Xbox 360 you are using then all the source material is at a maximum 720p/1080i so your TV will do the job just fine, if it's Blu Rays obviously you could have benefited but even then viewing distance comes into play.

The other thing worth noticing is you do mention that you use a SCART to connect your Virgin Box anyway, so you're watching SD stuff on your TV in which case 720p is going to be stretching the image less so you'll probably end up with a nicer image for your SD stuff anyway.

Every cloud and what not

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 9
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 1:22:36 PM   
Timon

Yeah, I have noticed SD material looks much better.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 10
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 2:11:38 PM   
great_badir

Yeah - you won't get HD channels through a SCART.

With regards the aerial, unless you are at the top of a hill, pretty close to your local transmitter or booster (and by close, I mean within 15 miles, preferably within 10 miles) and the signal only has to go through one wall before it hits the aerial, you'll be lucky to pick much up with an indoor aerial, even one which is marketed as being able to receive freeview HD.

If you have a tight budget, you're best off getting something like this - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5352069.htm - and mounting it in the loft if possible (you may also need a booster and a signal detector).

If you have a bit more to spend, get a local and independent aerial installer to stick up a decent and robust aerial in the best location (these days most installers tend to opt for the side of the house at first or second floor ceiling level, rather than the chimney stack - this is both for better stability and easier maintenance, and buildings, trees and hills are less of a problem with digital signals than they were with the old analogue signal). You should be able to get something for about £160 all-in, including installation.

Alternatively, how easy is it to use the HDMI port the PS3 is in? As in plug it in and unplug it as and when required? (that is assuming your Virgin box can do the freeview HD channels and has an HDMI port - if not, I'd be getting onto Virgin and asking them for a new box - I'm not with Virgin, but I'm 99% sure that the current standard boxes in my neck of the woods all have HDMI ports and are capable of handling freeview HD at no extra cost). Coincidentally, I have the opposite problem - I only have 1 SCART port on my current TV (which seems to be the norm these days, even on top-of-the-range models), but 2 sources using SCART, so I have to plug and unplug quite regularly. Very annoying.

Whilst what paulyboy says about current plasmas and burn-in is true, if yours is only 720p there's a chance it's at least a few years old. Older plasmas DO need some careful burn-in and you still need to be careful with contrast and static on-screen images. Best thing to do is set the contrast quite low and gradually turn it up to the setting you want as the days and weeks go on. If memory serves 100 hours of burn-in was the recommendation. What you won't (or shouldn't) have to worry about is the ongoing screen burn issues that were the constant worry for rear projector owners.

Slightly off topic, plasma TVs seem to be going the way of the TV graveyard though, I understand because it is impossible for them to improve on current efficiencies (which, compared with LCD and LED TVs is quite poor), so at some point when the European laws with regard to electrical items' energy use in the near future come in, they'll have to go. Hopefully OLED will be at an affordable standard at that point. It's a shame, though, cos for all of their eccentricities, plasmas do offer better pictures, colours and motion capabilities, although LCDs are improving all the time and OLEDs look like the solution to both.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 11
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 2:25:35 PM   
paulyboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Whilst what paulyboy says about current plasmas and burn-in is true, if yours is only 720p there's a chance it's at least a few years old. Older plasmas DO need some careful burn-in and you still need to be careful with contrast and static on-screen images.

Judging from the model number provided, it's a recent product, on sale originally from early last year, I know it seems like sacrilege to release a TV of that size without 1080p these days, but Panasonic are obviously marketing it as a budget TV, I think he's safe, I'd wager it's a fairly modern panel used, resolution aside.

< Message edited by paulyboy -- 4/2/2013 3:05:29 PM >

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 12
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 3:41:42 PM   
Timon

I'm glad you said that. I'm pretty sure it was a relatively new model. More at the budget price end, but from what I've read - a decent model for your price.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-p42x50_TV_review

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 13
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 4:07:24 PM   
great_badir

Yeah, if it's new paulyboy is spot-on - you have nothing to worry about.

Most Panny plasmas since 2011 (I think) have a "refresh" type button on the remote which you press and a white and black box goes across the screen. I think they've included it more for peace of mind than anything else.

With Pioneer gone, Panasonic make the most consistently good TVs these days - there doesn't seem to be a bad one in any of their ranges for the last few years, whilst Sony, Samsung and LG have all had the odd shaky moment (although the current crop of mid to high end Sony and Samsung models are uniformally excellent). LG are leading the way technologically speaking, though - they'll probably be market leaders (both critically and commercially) when OLED comes into the mainstream.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 14
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 31/1/2013 5:20:42 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I have a 2012 range Panasonic Plasma without this refresh button you describe, not that I've ever experienced any burn in at all despite plenty of static images having been on the screen, I just really don't think it's that big an issue anymore.

On another note however, I've just noticed that it seems TV prices have gone up recently, certainly most Panasonic models I was looking at when I purchased my own set (including the one I bought) have all gone up by a minimum of around £100 on most retailers websites.

Post #: 15
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 1/2/2013 12:35:08 PM   
great_badir

Perhaps it's only a feature of the high-end models then, or maybe more recent than I'm thinking. But it's definitely on some of them.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 16
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 1/2/2013 11:27:01 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

How very dare you! It's a good job I'm not protective of my TV, it is a high end model.

Perhaps it's a 2D only feature? Do I give up that button on my remote for the 3D button?

Post #: 17
RE: I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions - 4/2/2013 1:00:10 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda
How very dare you! It's a good job I'm not protective of my TV, it is a high end model.

Perhaps it's a 2D only feature? Do I give up that button on my remote for the 3D button?

Heh.

What I meant was that I thought it was across all of their new models, but evidently not.

It's definitely on two of the 2012 GT, ST and VT series (the basic, mid and high end models within a high end series) - I've had one demoed in a Panasonic shop and a mate has one of the other - but I can't remember which. Either way, they are 3D TVs, so I don't think it's a 2D feature only. I thought I'd read somewhere that the feature was on most models, but obviously not.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> I Just Got A New Plasma TV: I Have Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI