Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 13/5/2013 8:33:12 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Random Access Memories is now streaming on iTunes !!!

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 31
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 13/5/2013 8:34:45 PM   
SadFace

Currently on track 6 (Lose Yourself to Dance). It's so good.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 32
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 13/5/2013 9:45:31 PM   
Nexus Wookie

God i fucking love Daft Punk!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 33
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 13/5/2013 9:56:38 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Annoying iTunes link is desktop only or at least non-iphone friendly (makes no sense but hey ho). Couldn't be arsed getting my MacBook Pro out so had to make do with the GrooveShark stream which struggles to buffer, so songs keep stopping. That said, what I heard I liked, though Doin' it Right sounded just like the DisneyWorld Electronic Main Street Parade

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 34
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 14/5/2013 6:09:45 AM   
UTB

Not my cup of tea, thanks. Currently about 5 or 6 tracks in. Most of it has so far sounded like 8-bit versions of other songs.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 35
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 6:14:14 AM   
Qwerty Norris

One of my less than enthused friends described RAM as having more vocoder than an album composed entirely of Cher's 'Believe'.

Having woken up at this god forsaken hour, I can finally get round to listening to it from start to finish.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 36
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 6:53:43 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Liking what I'm hearing so far.

One thing though...

Touch - worryingly reminiscent of a Chris de Burgh record.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 37
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 1:13:36 PM   
talpacino

I actually like Touch and I really like most of the whole album. I was hoping to hold out until Friday but I buckled but yeah I'm happy. I think there's one track towards the end I wasn't too keen on, I think it's the one before the Panda Bear song but the rest of it while a little cheesy and OTT in places is very good. I've read a lot of complaints elsewhere but seriously, if you want Homework or Discovery go listen to Homework or Discovery, this doesn't change their brilliance. Looking forward to picking up the physical copy on Friday.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 15/5/2013 1:14:13 PM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

Post #: 38
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 8:13:00 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

Looking forward to picking up the physical copy on Friday.

Doesn't it come out on monday?

I have listened to it a couple of times and I am a little underwhelmed to be perfectly honest. I loved Get Lucky when it came out, and even after hearing it countless times since It still retains a certain something about it, in large part down to Nile Rodgers guitar. I think I wanted a little more in line with that single. I really like the Panda Bear track, and the Giorgio Moroder track is great, but goes on a couple of minutes too long. Other parts of the album are fine enough, but some of it really is a little too 80s cheese pop for my liking. I imagine I'll be hearing plenty of it in the coming days at work and what have you, so maybe it will improve with multiple listens, but ultimately I am a little disappointed by it so far.

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 39
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 8:24:15 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: moontheloon

quote:

I have listened to it a couple of times and I am a little underwhelmed to be perfectly honest. I loved Get Lucky when it came out, and even after hearing it countless times since It still retains a certain something about it, in large part down to Nile Rodgers guitar. I think I wanted a little more in line with that single. I really like the Panda Bear track, and the Giorgio Moroder track is great, but goes on a couple of minutes too long. Other parts of the album are fine enough, but some of it really is a little too 80s cheese pop for my liking. I imagine I'll be hearing plenty of it in the coming days at work and what have you, so maybe it will improve with multiple listens, but ultimately I am a little disappointed by it so far.

All of the advertisements I've seen over here(Ireland) say it's out 17/5/13.

The Panda Bear track is really nice. Contact and Motherboard are excellent and I like some of the slower tracks a lot too. Giorgio is excellent and while it's nice to hear what he has to say, nearly 2 minutes of the track taken up with him talking is a bit much when they could have easily made it an interlude before the track. Anyway, minor gripe, I'm happy overall.

Edit: Yeah just checked wiki, we get it on the Friday before you guys in the UK, assuming that's where ye are.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 15/5/2013 9:04:02 PM >

Currahee!

(in reply to moontheloon)
Post #: 40
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 8:45:53 PM   
moontheloon

quote:

Edit: Yeah just checked wiki, we get it on the Friday before you guys in the UK, assuming that's where ye are.

I am indeed UK based. Just out of interest, is it normal for Albums to come out on Fridays in Ireland, in the same way that they get released on Tuesdays in America? Or is this one of those odd situations where something just gets released on a different day for the hell of it?

A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night and in between he does what he wants to do

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 41
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 8:57:36 PM   
Olaf

quote:

quote:

This album isn't any cheesier or 80's-ier than Discovery was. It's basically the logical endpoint of that album, and it succeeds brilliantly in that.

I actually feel like the stuff with Niles is the most underdeveloped material on the album, though still pretty good. The album is at it's best when it's in euro-prog-space-disco mode - the synthier tracks like Doin It Right and Instant Crush + the crazier proggy bits like Giorgio by Moroder, Contact, Touch (it's amazing STFU) are all more interesting than the more straight-up genre exercises (Get Lucky, Lose Yourself To Dance). I understand why fans of the Chic-er end of the disco spectrum would be disappointed, but it makes sense that a pair of French guys would be more into bands like Space or Koto (or Moroder's productions of the second side of I Remember Yesterday, obviously).

quote:

quote:

I am indeed UK based. Just out of interest, is it normal for Albums to come out on Fridays in Ireland, in the same way that they get released on Tuesdays in America? Or is this one of those odd situations where something just gets released on a different day for the hell of it?

yeah releases are usually the Friday before. Very occasionally the Friday after, but mostly early.

< Message edited by Olaf -- 15/5/2013 8:58:50 PM >

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 42
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 9:00:25 PM   
talpacino

quote:

quote:

Yeah it's always a Friday I think, same for DVDs/Blus as well.

Currahee!

Post #: 43
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/5/2013 9:13:12 PM   
talpacino

Took their time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-bcnVU_NAU

Currahee!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 44
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2013 8:03:24 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Currently on my second play through.

Updated thoughts on Touch; still not sure if I like it but the production values (at the very least) are fascinating.

It is a brilliantly crafted record for sure & I love the organic quality of it, but obviously a part of me is missing the "choons."

That said; I'd have been alarmed if they simply churned out more variations of the homework/discovery era.

This and the National's new one are going to be played to death on my ipod/hifi speakers this summer.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 45
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2013 10:28:58 PM   
Qwerty Norris

3rd listen....and this time through speakers rather than headphones.

Touch = eccentric masterpiece.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 46
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2013 10:33:17 PM   
SadFace

Yeah, it's a grower. Said the actress to the bishop.

The more I listen to RAM, the more I like it. You have to give it time and let it sink in.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

Post #: 47
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2013 10:33:47 PM   
talpacino

3rd listen? I'd say I'm on my 10th.

I'll be picking it up on my way to work 2mrw and shall commence listen number 11.

Currahee!

Post #: 48
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 16/5/2013 11:12:43 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

3rd listen? I'd say I'm on my 10th.

If it weren't for my full days at work this week (bar today) it would have reached a three figure sum by now.

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

I'll be picking it up on my way to work 2mrw and shall commence listen number 11.

In time for the weekend as well.

Unlike us sods across the Irish sea. Another thing Britain can't get right....

I bought an NME for the first time in over a decade today.

I wonder why?

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 49
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 21/5/2013 8:21:04 PM   
MonsterCat

Discovery remains unchallenged as my fave Daft Punk LP, but RAM is a seriously good record.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 50
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 21/5/2013 8:33:55 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

This album upon first listen was a disappointment, on repeat listenings it proves to possibly be Daft Punk's best album. A real master piece of a record. It almost feels like an experience from start to finish and one which could have easily been accompanies by a laser show or something.

What does irk me a little though is the track before Get Lucky, part way through it breaks into a very similar guitar riff to that of Get Lucky and sounds very cabaret like. It sounds like the perfect intro to Get Lucky, then all of a sudden there's a shift in sound and it all changes before Get Lucky starts. That's not to say its a bad song, it just feels like a missed trick, or the flow of the album is out of line a little.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 51
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/6/2013 3:17:11 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Okay, I'm pretty well acquainted with every track now.

Love Georgio By Moroder, Touch & everything that has Nile Rodgers' fingerprints on it. The bass on Doin' It Right is properly awesome on a set of speakers as well.

Contact however is probably my favourite track overall. It has that sense of both the old & new DP, with echoes to Bangalter's work on the soundtracks to Irreversible/Enter The Void.

Where does it rank overall? Difficult to say for sure, but it's up there with their best stuff.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 52
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 5/6/2013 10:37:29 AM   
UTB

I've been listening to this every couple of days and its really grown on me after my initial dismissal. Contact is probably my favourite track on there but there are some real growers. The only track on there I don't particularly like is Fragments Of Time. Doesn't fit that far into the album, there's no oomph to it and by that point I can't wait to get it over and hear the last two tracks.

Post #: 53
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 10/6/2013 7:43:39 PM   
bydabeachman

Daft Punk's new album is truly an adventure in the realm of music. They have many throwbacks to the Discovery era but go with deeper quality and accuracy. I still feel Discovery is their best work to date but Random Access Memories has a ride to it that will keep you enjoyed the entire album. From their opening track it reels you in with a beat that will make anyone dance. The guests on this album truly do make their differences and some tracks like with Julian Casablancas are so soothing and enjoyable, I can listen over and over. Many fans will not be happy with it due to expecting something like Discovery, but this is in my opinion a brilliant expansion to the Discovery lineage. Take your time and truly give it a listen. do not make any judgements in the beginning, let me music soak into your soul, there you will feel the groove.

Take the time to say your mind.

Sign Twirlers

Post #: 54
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 6/7/2013 6:08:13 PM   
Filmfan 2

I haven't given it many listenings, but I'm not much of a fan of RAM at all. I agree with the great Limmy, in that it steers dangerously close to lift music in a number of places.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to bydabeachman)
Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI