Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 2:25:30 PM   
Qwerty Norris

With the new album now set for a May release, I felt it was time the French electronic geniuses got their own thread.

Been waiting to hear new material for so long now it hurts, so I'm literally salivating at the prospect of some brand new music (Tron Legacy softened the blow a little, but obviously that wasn't a true DP release in a sense). Really looking forward to hearing the collaboration with Nile Rogers in particular.

Favourites of yours? Homework will always be a mainstay in my top five albums, whilst Rollin'n'Scratchin' is arguably the most revolutionary track in regards to inspiring my tastes & was certainly my gateway into the clubbing scene 10 years ago. It's still to this day my favourite track of theirs.

And has anyone else been lucky enough to see them live? Rock Ness in 2007 remains one of the best experiences of my life.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 1
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 2:46:07 PM   
Olaf

All three albums are masterpieces (yes even Human After All, deal w/ it), and Rollin and Scratchin is indeed their best song, but I'm going to be obvious and go for Discovery as my favourite - I still remember it as the first 'electronic' album I bought, so at least 50% of everything I listen to nowadays is a result of that record. I also can't think of any album that tops it for having an insanely amazing one-two-three-four of unimpeachable pop classics at the start. Although, I think there's a very compelling argument for Alive 2007 being their best 'release', even if it's not an album as such. I've never seen them live, hopefully will be rectifying that this year.

I did see this at a festival a few years ago though, was surprisingly brilliant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPS45PzUvBM

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 2
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 3:03:05 PM   
MonsterCat

Yep, they're great.

Discovery is an insanely enjoyable and upbeat record.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 3
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 3:40:41 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

If I didn't go for one of the three obvious choices for best songs; Aerodynamic, One More Time or Digital Love which are arguably their best three songs and the strongest three back to back tracks on any album ever I'd argue that Veridis Quo is my favourite song.

I'm very much looking forward to a new Daft Punk album, however their Tron stuff has made me wary, after two solid albums and Human After All which I still enjoyed but was not quite the standard of the other two I couldn't help but feel the Tron stuff would have been better off not having been made, a massive let down but perhaps that was outside/third party interference more than anything.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 4
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 3:55:18 PM   
Olaf

I agree that the Tron stuff was a let down in DP terms (albeit still much better than the majority of music produced for soundtracks), but there was enough about it to make me think an album would be up there with their proper albums - Derezzed would have made it onto any of their albums imo. The more orchestral stuff didn't work as well though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 5
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 4:13:46 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

Pretty much flawless aren't they? Digital Love could be in my top 10 songs of all time if I put any thought into doing one.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 6
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 29/1/2013 8:05:44 PM   
Juice Terry

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

All three albums are masterpieces (yes even Human After All, deal w/ it), and Rollin and Scratchin is indeed their best song, but I'm going to be obvious and go for Discovery as my favourite - I still remember it as the first 'electronic' album I bought, so at least 50% of everything I listen to nowadays is a result of that record.

I feel the same way about Homework, which I think, if memory serves, was the second electronic album I bought (the first being Fat of the Land by Prodigy). I think, if pushed, I would probably say Discovery is my favourite album of theirs, but Homework definitely runs it close. As for a favourite song I really don't know. Possibly Too Long, possibly Da Funk, and I have very fond memories from when I used to dj of playing hip-hop and then bringing in Teachers. It used to work every time!

Better call Saul

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 7
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 30/1/2013 3:24:37 AM   
Qwerty Norris

I know what you folks mean regarding Discovery, it is near enough to being a flawless record. Homework though wins it for me as no other album made me want to throw all my guitar-based music out the window quite as much.

And I liked the Tron Legacy soundtrack - End Of Line is wonderful.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Juice Terry)
Post #: 8
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 30/1/2013 7:33:43 AM   
UTB

Homework is one of my all time favourite albums. Personally though I found their subsequent albums weren't to my taste. Too camp, over the top.

That said I do love Banghalther's individual work, his Trax On The Rox releases through Roul, and the Irreversible and Enter The Void soundtrack are immense.

Post #: 9
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 31/1/2013 2:09:08 AM   
SadFace

Just to reiterate what's been said before, Discovery is my favourite album of theirs but Rollin' & Scratchin' is perhaps my favourite track. But for the sheer fun of them, Teachers, Technologic and Harder Better Faster Stronger are hard to beat. The news of their forthcoming album has made me very excited indeed.

I also love Bangalter's soundtrack for Irreversible, even if, like the film, it's something that's so hard to love. I do 'love' the film as well, if it is possible to love a film like Irreversible. The lovely-titled 'Rectum' perfectly encapsulates the tone of the film. There's too many 'loves' in this paragraph.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 23/3/2013 10:27:28 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Details on the new album revealed.

Clicky.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 11
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 14/4/2013 1:01:34 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Coachella Teaser.

< Message edited by paul.mccluskey -- 14/4/2013 2:47:45 PM >

Post #: 12
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 14/4/2013 3:01:28 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul.mccluskey

Coachella Teaser.

It is what I like to call "da bomb."

That DP groove / Rodgers guitar lick collaboration sounds heavenly.

Another link to the same ad, minus the Coachella crowd.

Clicky

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to paul.mccluskey)
Post #: 13
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 14/4/2013 4:07:49 PM   
SadFace

quote:

Coachella Teaser.

I've played this several times over the past couple of days, it just gets me more and more excited.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

Post #: 14
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 14/4/2013 8:12:40 PM   
paul.mccluskey

Official track listing:

1. Give Life Back to Music (featuring Nile Rodgers)
2. The Game of Love
3. Giorgio by Moroder (featuring Giorgio Moroder)
4. Within (featuring Chilly Gonzales)
5. Instant Crush (featuring Julian Casablancas)
6. Lose Yourself to Dance (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
7. Touch (featuring Paul Williams)
8. Get Lucky (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
9. Beyond
10. Motherhood
11. Fragments of Time (featuring Todd Edwards)
12. Doin' It Right (featuring Panda Bear)
13. Contact (featuring DJ Falcon)

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 15
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 15/4/2013 9:55:32 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Lots of fake 'get lucky' french radio rips doing the rounds on the internet right now.

I think the single is officially unveiled on Friday, so I'd ignore everything else til then.

quote:

Official track listing:

1. Give Life Back to Music (featuring Nile Rodgers)
2. The Game of Love
3. Giorgio by Moroder (featuring Giorgio Moroder)
4. Within (featuring Chilly Gonzales)
5. Instant Crush (featuring Julian Casablancas)
6. Lose Yourself to Dance (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
7. Touch (featuring Paul Williams)
8. Get Lucky (featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers)
9. Beyond
10. Motherhood
11. Fragments of Time (featuring Todd Edwards)
12. Doin' It Right (featuring Panda Bear)
13. Contact (featuring DJ Falcon)

Nice.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 16
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 18/4/2013 4:57:00 PM   
SadFace

Get Lucky will be premiered tonight at midnight EST.

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

Post #: 17
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 18/4/2013 11:30:38 PM   
Saltire

Was just browsing the Audiophile thread to see what people were listening to, whilst listening to Discovery for the first time and see this thread is at the top - freaky!!!!!

< Message edited by Saltire -- 18/4/2013 11:31:51 PM >

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 18
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 19/4/2013 3:31:18 AM   
benny the jet

Can't wait

Currently caning the Sebastian mix of Human After All. Incredible (apparently dp's favourite remix )

+1 for Rollin' and Scratchin'

That means we only have thirty minutes to get you up that tree

I fucking love tea. Its my favourite drink after coffee and alcohol

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=585511933

(in reply to Saltire)
Post #: 19
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 19/4/2013 11:51:56 AM   
Qwerty Norris

'Get Lucky' radio edit officially out.

Youtube link here, but it's well WELL worth your 79p.

Just glad I have something to move on from the SNL ad.

Also, if you're extremely impatient like me, here's a snippet of 'Lose Yourself To Dance' played in a 5 minute loop.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to benny the jet)
Post #: 20
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 1/5/2013 5:06:35 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Not that I care much for the UK top 40 anymore, but it's hard to think of a number 1 single I've enjoyed (or known of) as much as the current one in quite some time.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 21
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 1/5/2013 7:32:58 PM   
MonsterCat

The new single is superb.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 22
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 1/5/2013 10:52:37 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Get Lucky is a piece of absolute genius, the Nile Rogers disco vibe is just incredibly funky. Everything about the release was perfect, from the vital teasers to the time of year i.e. approaching summer really matching the mood of the song.

I cannot wait for the album.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 23
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2013 12:00:53 AM   
Rhubarb

Its pretty cool seeing the wave of appriciation from a whole new generation for Daft Punk, Human After All felt weirdly like a comprimise - with guitars so prominient in pop music at that point, them doing Robot Rock etc seemed all a bit weird, but in their time away guitar music has gone away a bit and teh children of Daft Punk have taken over the charts, so they must be feeling pretty great. They should have been headlinging Glasto or something, that'd been amazing.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 24
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2013 2:24:32 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rhubarb

Its pretty cool seeing the wave of appriciation from a whole new generation for Daft Punk, Human After All felt weirdly like a comprimise - with guitars so prominient in pop music at that point, them doing Robot Rock etc seemed all a bit weird, but in their time away guitar music has gone away a bit and teh children of Daft Punk have taken over the charts, so they must be feeling pretty great. They should have been headlinging Glasto or something, that'd been amazing.

Robot Rock was a major outlier on that album, the rest of the album was more of a throwback to their pre-Homework acid house days with the emphasis on repetition and intensification over traditional song development. Human After All makes a lot more sense in the context of 2013 really - the compressed (rushed?) sounding production, the quite abrasive sounds (at least compared to Discovery) were a pretty clear influence on a lot of the French house that followed it like Justice and SebastiAn, but also a clear influence on shite like Skrillex and whatnot. The total embrace of older sounds and stuff on this is a pretty clear declaration of their distaste with modern electronic music, to the point where they're going back to pretty much the historical starting point of mainstream dance music (disco, Moroder, etc).

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 25
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2013 3:14:52 PM   
Rhubarb

I dunno about distaste, perhaps it would have just been a bit easy to bang out a modern-dancey-pop album, this is certainly more interesting, which is certainly more in Daft Punk's thinking generally.

I didn't mean to suggest that HAA was a rock album - it obviously isn't - but Robot Rock and the sleeve with the picture of the "guitars played by Daft Punk" give the thing a slightly weird edge don't they? Perhaps a suggestion of where their heads were at.

Really looking forward to RAM anyway, its about time Disco got a proper revival.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 26
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2013 3:52:14 PM   
Olaf

I meant to include in my post that DP have explicitly been critical of modern dance music, rather than me speculating on that point - http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/apr/15/daft-punk-electronic-dance-music-crisis

quote:

Electronic dance music is having "an identity crisis", Daft Punk have declared. In their first interview to promote their new album Random Access Memories, due next month, the French duo claimed EDM "is in its comfort zone". "It's not moving one inch," Thomas Bangalter complained. "That's not what artists are supposed to do."

By working with real people, in real studios, Daft Punk said they hope to shake up the complacent genre of EDM. "Today, electronic music is made in airports and hotel rooms, by DJs traveling," Bangalter said. "It has a sense of movement, maybe, but it's not the same vibe as going into these studios that contain specific things You hear a song whose track is it? There's no signature."

I'm not sure if I agree about the guitars point though. For one, RAM is almost entirely performed live with instruments (and there was the Get Lucky trailer with Thomas on bass and Guy on drums). Discovery was very much drawing on an early/mid-70s kind of analogue dance music with guitars and strings and old synths everywhere, they were in a (daft) punk band before they formed DP. I don't think there's ever been a compromise between 'rock' and 'pop' in their music, mainly because I don't think they see a distinction in all honesty.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 27
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 2/5/2013 7:47:09 PM   
horribleives

I love Daft Punk and they're fucking awesome live but I still haven't quite warmed to the new single. Still, I know the album'll be mint so who cares.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 28
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 4/5/2013 10:58:13 AM   
matty_b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46K38QEzY68

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 29
RE: The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread - 4/5/2013 12:38:48 PM   
Qwerty Norris

About time they released a video.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> The Daft Punk Appreciation Thread Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI