Gangster Squad

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Gangster Squad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Gangster Squad - 29/1/2013 11:02:56 AM   
Bloke from Oz

Even if crime/gangster movies are not quite your thing (they're not really mine, to be honest), I highly recommend this film to you; there will not be another one of this calibre to come along for quite some time.

The acting is top-notch, the production design and costumes superb, the editing excellent, and overall the film is very well-crafted. If you enjoyed The Untouchables, you will surely be entertained by this film; it is one of the most impressive crime thrillers ever made. Do yourself a favour and see this one.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg
Post #: 1
RE: Gangster Squad - 29/1/2013 11:05:56 AM   
NCC1701A

Looking forward to seeing this.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 2
RE: Gangster Squad - 29/1/2013 9:53:50 PM   
Mister Coe

Saw it a few days ago... it was fun and enjoyable, but not a patch on THE UNTOUCHABLES.

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Danny Leigh on FILM 2013... it was the perfect gangster film for 13-year olds.

Again, it was a very enjoyable watch but no more than that.

Say what now?

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 3
RE: Gangster Squad - 30/1/2013 5:48:34 AM   
siegfried

Considering the talent involved, it's the major disappointment of the year so far. I certainly wouldn't rate it any higher than 2/5

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 4
RE: Gangster Squad - 30/1/2013 5:55:43 AM   
siegfried

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bloke from Oz

Even if crime/gangster movies are not quite your thing (they're not really mine, to be honest), I highly recommend this film to you; there will not be another one of this calibre to come along for quite some time.

The acting is top-notch, the production design and costumes superb, the editing excellent, and overall the film is very well-crafted. If you enjoyed The Untouchables, you will surely be entertained by this film; it is one of the most impressive crime thrillers ever made. Do yourself a favour and see this one.

Can I take it that you've seen very few crime thrillers? It certainly wouldn't make my top 100, and considering the fact that it has a very unimpressive 33% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it would seem that the majority of reviewers agree with me.

"Premeditated murder is one thing, but I will not have lying in this house."

Marriage is one of those things that is best gotten over with in youth - like chicken pox.

Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 5
RE: Gangster Squad - 30/1/2013 4:18:55 PM   
NCC1701A

watched it today and once it got going it was really good. 4/5

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 6
RE: Gangster Squad - 30/1/2013 4:37:12 PM   
Timon

It was ok - good old fashioned fun, but a bit light on any form of substance.

Plus, for a top secret squad, everyone seemed to know who O'Mara was and where he lived - Cohen's hitmen, the Chief of Police, Emma Stone's mol - they were rocking up all the time!

Also, the Chinatown sequence was unfortunately quite weak considering it replaced the, what looked to be even more impressive, cinema shootout.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to NCC1701A)
Post #: 7
RE: Gangster Squad - 30/1/2013 10:23:09 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

Can I take it that you've seen very few crime thrillers? It certainly wouldn't make my top 100, and considering the fact that it has a very unimpressive 33% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it would seem that the majority of reviewers agree with me.

Not saying you are wrong about the film, but does a verdict on Rotten Tomatoes really speak for all reviewers.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 8
RE: Gangster Squad - 31/1/2013 5:37:03 AM   
Joserabal

Gangster Squad is a 2013 crime movie that is directed by Ruben Fleischer............

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 9
RE: Gangster Squad - 31/1/2013 11:47:33 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: siegfried

quote:

But that's extremely harsh, it doesn't deserve to be so low. Sure it's no masterpiece, but I think it's been misunderstood slightly.

(in reply to siegfried)
Post #: 10
RE: Gangster Squad - 31/1/2013 12:49:31 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joserabal

Gangster Squad is a 2013 crime movie that is directed by Ruben Fleischer............

Clearly this spambot is not a fan of Mr. Fleischer.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Joserabal)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Gangster Squad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI