Cloud Atlas Soundtrack

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> Cloud Atlas Soundtrack Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cloud Atlas Soundtrack - 28/1/2013 11:51:03 PM   
Stephen Munro

Composed by Tom Tykwer and his longtime scoring partners Reinhold Heil and Johnny Klimek, Tykwer once again shows tremendous dexterity in helping craft a dramatic and powerful soundtrack. The trio have worked the music for other Tykwer's films Run Lola Run, The International and Perfume: The Story of a Murderer and although this may not hit the hights of the later soundtrack that is faint praise indeed as this reviewer believes that Perfume was one of top soundtracks of the past 20 years. Its main Cloud Atlas Theme starts off with a slow piano melody that drives upwards into an emotional flurry of violins and horns building to a powerful crescendo. This theme forms a strong foundation and is used to telling effect throughout in all its variations. The Trio have incorporated a number of other themes and arrangements that are clearly signposted to engage us in a full emotional range.  This includes the pure comical "Cavendish in Distress” to and dramatic sweeping violins of "Soni 451 meets Chang” and the rising string arrangement of "Temple of Sacrifice” through to the delicate staccato harp and piano theme and cord changes contained within the all to brief "Travel to Edinburgh”. Dark elements are served well with menacing "Catacombs” and an intriguing use of electronic sounds and rhythm in "Chasing Luisa Rey”.  A soundtrack which I feel was worthy of an Oscar nomination and certainly not as challenging on the ear and the movie seem to be for the viewer.

Note; Its a pity Empire decided not to feature this in the soundtracks reviews in March Magazine.  For what its worth I would reward it with ***** 
(although I see DG contiunes to have a fasination recently to review every soundtrack from Clint Mansell )

< Message edited by Stephen Munro -- 5/2/2013 10:39:26 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Soundtracks >> Cloud Atlas Soundtrack Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI