Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Giamatti In Talks For Spider-Man's Rhino

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Giamatti In Talks For Spider-Man's Rhino Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Giamatti In Talks For Spider-Man's Rhino - 28/1/2013 9:38:28 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Whoah... - 28/1/2013 9:38:28 PM   
sowasred2012

Hope Webb knows what he's doing, if Felicity Jones is playing Felicia Hardy then Spidey's got his work cut out for him, juggling three villains and three love interests...

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 28/1/2013 10:02:28 PM   
Sentinel11

definitely sceptical. I consider the Rhino one of Spider-man's less cinematically-suitable villains. I have visions of this being similar to Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut in X-men 3.

Post #: 3
RE: - 28/1/2013 10:39:03 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sentinel11

definitely sceptical. I consider the Rhino one of Spider-man's less cinematically-suitable villains. I have visions of this being similar to Vinnie Jones as Juggernaut in X-men 3.

Even at this early stage I think it's a tad unfair to compare Paul Giamatti with Vinnie Jones

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to Sentinel11)
Post #: 4
no thanks - 29/1/2013 3:53:54 AM   
Gazzabrook

I cant see rhino working for live action big screen adventure , he's best a secondary villain in games as per the official game of the first movie.
Jones playing Hardy that I would love to see, I'm falling to name any other women of spider-man world so let's see

Post #: 5
RE: Giamatti In Talks For Spider-Man's Rhino - 29/1/2013 8:47:24 AM   
Dannybohy

How many bad guys are going to be in the next movie>?!!

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

Post #: 6
I've got a Spiderman 3 bad feeling about this - 29/1/2013 8:53:06 AM   
MattMan1

The first two Raimi Spidermans (Spidermen?) were great but then they ruined it by having too many villains in the 3rd one, with not enough time to care about any of them, feel they were a real threat or, more importantly, care about Spiderman.

Post #: 7
RE: I've got a Spiderman 3 bad feeling about this - 29/1/2013 10:25:47 AM   
Wild about Wilder

OH DEAR! They do know just how big The Rhino is I mean he has gone toe to toe with The Hulk! & to put Giamatti up for the role just goes to show they have no idea W.T.F they're doing with Spider-Man.

(in reply to MattMan1)
Post #: 8
RE: I've got a Spiderman 3 bad feeling about this - 29/1/2013 10:48:58 AM   
Dannybohy

The issue isn't Paul Giamatti! the Rhino is going to be a CGi much like the Lizard so it makes no difference which actor plays it as its not exactly going to be a man in a rubber Rhino suit.
The issue is having both TOO MANY bad guys and picking the worst ones!. Id rather see just ONE villain done well, a new version of Doc Oc and Venom again would be fine with me

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 29/1/2013 10:49:46 AM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 9
God...no - 29/1/2013 11:38:43 AM   
Kavandclay

What's with all the love interests?! Either they're trying to create the next female-friendly Twilight saga, complete with Team Gwen and Team Mary-Jane camps, or portray Peter Parker as some kind of geeky lothario. Secondly, why keep hiring A-listers for star turns as superhero baddies? All they end up doing is chewing the scenery. Guys like Alfred Molina and Tom Hiddlestone (of relatively modest fame) needed to justify their presence, whereas more famous actors will laud it up for their 25 minutes of big-budget face time! Like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone but feel this reboot is for mass audience consumption.

Post #: 10
RE: God...no - 29/1/2013 12:16:04 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kavandclay

What's with all the love interests?! Either they're trying to create the next female-friendly Twilight saga, complete with Team Gwen and Team Mary-Jane camps, or portray Peter Parker as some kind of geeky lothario. Secondly, why keep hiring A-listers for star turns as superhero baddies? All they end up doing is chewing the scenery. Guys like Alfred Molina and Tom Hiddlestone (of relatively modest fame) needed to justify their presence, whereas more famous actors will laud it up for their 25 minutes of big-budget face time! Like Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone but feel this reboot is for mass audience consumption.

Because all of the other Spider-Man movies have been low-key art-house affairs...

(in reply to Kavandclay)
Post #: 11
RE: God...no - 29/1/2013 12:35:07 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kavandclay

Well duh yeah obvs lol.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, though.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Kavandclay)
Post #: 12
RE: RE: - 29/1/2013 12:45:23 PM   
Sentinel11

no it's nothing to do with acting. Giamatti is talented enough that he'll do a good job in that respect but my concern is in the fact that Juggernaut and Rhino are physically HUGE characters in ridiculous costumes and I can't see Rhino looking remotely good in a live action film. They went with the 'man in a suit' option for both Juggernaut and The Thing in the FF movie and both looked terrible. It could work if they adapt the 'ultimate universe' version of Rhino who is a bloke in a giant robotic suit of armour.
The other obvious concern is the 'too many villains' critique. I'd rather have seen another take on the Green Goblin or Venom (because I don't think you can make a better cinematic Doctor Octopus) and had them as the sole villain of the movie.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 13
RE: RE: - 29/1/2013 1:21:26 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

no it's nothing to do with acting. Giamatti is talented enough that he'll do a good job in that respect but my concern is in the fact that Juggernaut and Rhino are physically HUGE characters in ridiculous costumes and I can't see Rhino looking remotely good in a live action film. They went with the 'man in a suit' option for both Juggernaut and The Thing in the FF movie and both looked terrible. It could work if they adapt the 'ultimate universe' version of Rhino who is a bloke in a giant robotic suit of armour.
The other obvious concern is the 'too many villains' critique. I'd rather have seen another take on the Green Goblin or Venom (because I don't think you can make a better cinematic Doctor Octopus) and had them as the sole villain of the movie.

It will be a CGI Rhino. I just don't think Rhino is a great bad guy!. Yes Green Goblin again, Venom or Doc Oc would be better!. Its not like any of Rami movies actually did decent villain back-stories for anyone except perhaps Doc Oc! which was excellent.
Has anyone seen the Spiderman Cartoons on Lovefilm, I forget what rendition they are but Doc Oc is a teen-aged lad entrapped by Norman Osborne!

(in reply to Sentinel11)
Post #: 14
RE: RE: - 29/1/2013 4:31:32 PM   
Sentinel11

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

It will be a CGI Rhino. I just don't think Rhino is a great bad guy!. Yes Green Goblin again, Venom or Doc Oc would be better!. Its not like any of Rami movies actually did decent villain back-stories for anyone except perhaps Doc Oc! which was excellent.
Has anyone seen the Spiderman Cartoons on Lovefilm, I forget what rendition they are but Doc Oc is a teen-aged lad entrapped by Norman Osborne!

agreed. Going away from the 'big 3' of villains I'd even rather have Kraven (adaptation of Kraven's last hunt?) or Sandman (probably the best thing in Spider-man 3) over Rhino.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 15
RE: RE: - 29/1/2013 4:44:27 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

agreed. Going away from the 'big 3' of villains I'd even rather have Kraven (adaptation of Kraven's last hunt?) or Sandman (probably the best thing in Spider-man 3) over Rhino.

ooh yeh!! Kraven. Now that would seriously be a great choice!. If you have to put more than one main villain in then you clearly cannot be making or writing a very good quailty good vs evil movie in the first place!.

Mysterio!!! that could really work. I would imagine a David Blane/ Dynamo/Criss Angel kind of character. Obviously without the fortune teller head piece! maybe a modified Bike Helmet, the guy can be a biker, leathers etc.
I draw concept art, I think I might have a bash at Mysterio if anyone wants to input some ideas!.

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 29/1/2013 4:47:09 PM >

(in reply to Sentinel11)
Post #: 16
Horny - 29/1/2013 8:06:05 PM   
Battan9000

Rhino – that’s just silly – I love it. It’s a comic book movie – is a man dressed as a Rhino that much more silly than a man dressed as a spider or bat or a woman dressed as a cat? As for three villains? Yes, Spiderman three was a mess. But how many villains have there been in the X-man movies and they were pretty good – especially the first two and last stand. Batman Begins had three villains Falcone, Scare Crow and Ra's Al Ghul (4 if you count Jo Chill). Don’t matter how many bad guys as long as they get it right. My beef with the last film was that it wasn’t fun enough. Nothing as epic as the Batman Trilogy and nothing as cool as the web-swinging and Doc Oc in the Rami movies .

Isn't Elektro a good guy in this movie to start off with anyway?

< Message edited by Battan9000 -- 29/1/2013 8:07:18 PM >

Post #: 17
amazingg cast - 30/1/2013 12:31:12 AM   
bill the butcher

amazing cast
Paul Giamatti sideways
Andrew Garfield never let me go
Emma Stone easy A
Shailene Woodley the descendants
Dane DeHaan chronicle

Post #: 18
- 30/1/2013 12:54:57 PM   
chris wootton

I thought the first one was quite good. It had it's flaws but I'd see the second one.. and surely anything with Giamatti and Django in can't be too bad.

Post #: 19
RE: RE: - 30/1/2013 2:14:16 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Not complaining about Giamatti infact really like him it's just The Rhino is well pretty Dumb in the Brains department whereas Giamatti is a rather smart cookie infact if they did reprise Doc Oc I could really see him in the role.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 20
RE: RE: - 30/1/2013 2:29:29 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Not complaining about Giamatti infact really like him it's just The Rhino is well pretty Dumb in the Brains department whereas Giamatti is a rather smart cookie infact if they did reprise Doc Oc I could really see him in the role.

Agreed, Giamatti is wasted as The Rhino and would make a great Doc Oc
Dane is going to kill it as Harry Osbourne!. looking forward to it

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 30/1/2013 2:30:04 PM >

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 21
RE: RE: - 30/1/2013 2:33:05 PM   
AxlReznor

I'm sure that Giamatti is smart... but I'm also pretty sure he's not a supervillain in real life, either.

Seriously... I don't know what I think about this potential casting decision myself. It seems a bit random, and I can't see him in the role. But using the actors personal traits as a reason why he shouldn't be cast is always stupid. It's called acting for a reason, people!

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 22
RE: RE: - 30/1/2013 2:48:54 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

I'm sure that Giamatti is smart... but I'm also pretty sure he's not a supervillain in real life, either.

Seriously... I don't know what I think about this potential casting decision myself. It seems a bit random, and I can't see him in the role. But using the actors personal traits as a reason why he shouldn't be cast is always stupid. It's called acting for a reason, people!

Hey Axl!! where is the female villains!!!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 23
RE: RE: - 30/1/2013 2:53:47 PM   
AxlReznor

Female villains are something of a rarity in Spider-Man. Comics creators really need to create some worthy of adapting into film...

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Giamatti In Talks For Spider-Man's Rhino Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI