Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Bryan Singer On Days Of Future Past

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Bryan Singer On Days Of Future Past Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bryan Singer On Days Of Future Past - 28/1/2013 8:48:21 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
so exciteeeeeeed singer is back. - 28/1/2013 8:48:21 PM   
ceaser

the forgettable xmen the last stand was a real eye opener to make singer come back i think, tts his baby and he knows exactly how to handle the x men universe . having oth casts in this movie could have been a risk but i believe that this is only the first in a couple of movies that have them both in

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Oh Nooooooooooo! - 29/1/2013 1:28:07 PM   
ericcoyle

Having made two of the most disappointing super hero films possible and one or two dull films since, I fail to see why Singer as director is a good thing. He doesn't have a specific visual style, the first and second X men films were completely devoid of humour and action was decidedly small scale. Any one of a number of tv directors are better than him. he's not even a particularly good writer and his take on WW2 was boring when it should have been edge-of-the-seat riveting. Dull,dull dull really.

Post #: 3
fingers crossed - 30/1/2013 12:58:41 PM   
buffster28

have high hopes for this one

" driver picks the music, shotgun shuts his cakehole "

(in reply to ericcoyle)
Post #: 4
why? - 2/2/2013 5:44:37 PM   
elsquig

why are they letting this clown anywhere back near this franchise ? his films are awful,can anyone remember that pile of shit superman film or the first 2 x men films ? he is for sure gonna fuck this up and ruin the great work that first class managed to salvage from the broken universe singer started . how does he manage to get work let alone big big films like this? Shame!

Post #: 5
RE: why? - 3/2/2013 9:39:21 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: elsquig

why are they letting this clown anywhere back near this franchise ? his films are awful,can anyone remember that pile of shit superman film or the first 2 x men films ? he is for sure gonna fuck this up and ruin the great work that first class managed to salvage from the broken universe singer started . how does he manage to get work let alone big big films like this? Shame!

I have to disagree with you, the firsr two X-Men films were absolutely superb, especially the sequel which ranks as one of my favourite comic book adaptions. Singer brought versimiltude to the films which he took inspirations from Donner's Superman films, and hence the X-Men films felt fresh, exciting and visually impressive. It wasn't Singer but Brett Ratner who decided to fuck up the series with his absolutely atrocious film - which was only bettered by Wolverine. Frankly i'm quite excited to have Singer back on board.

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to elsquig)
Post #: 6
RE: why? - 3/2/2013 9:04:59 PM   
Mr Gittes

First post on here. Just want to say that I agree on all counts, except for preferring Wolverine to X3 since I haven't seen the former - though I've regrettably seen the latter.I especially adored X2; that movie just never gets old for me. And you made a great point about the Donner comparison (another director I'm very fond of). Anyway, back on topic, I am very, very excited about this.

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 7
RE: why? - 3/2/2013 9:08:50 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Welcome to the forum Mr. Gittes!

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/2/2013 9:09:22 PM >

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 8
RE: why? - 3/2/2013 9:41:42 PM   
Mr Gittes

Heh. Thanks. I've been visiting the site for years. I knew I'd comment on something eventually, and this little bit of news seemed to be the perfect moment to do that. Awesome name by the way.

Post #: 9
RE: why? - 4/2/2013 1:09:31 AM   
Nexus Wookie

Lol. Thanks! Its a jalgemation of two words associated with two of my favourite films of all time, but i guess you've probably gathered that already!

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 10
why pt 2 - 4/2/2013 12:53:07 PM   
elsquig

surely nobody thinks that singers rake on the X universe was better than vaughns? the only thing i liked about singers was the casting. i am definatly not saying that x3 or that abomination wolverine were better than x1 or x2 . i am just saying that xmen first class is the best film in the X men universe .singer in my opinion hasent made a decent film since the usual suspects , he even made the plot to kill hitler boring. days of future past is a very complex story and i dont think he has the chops to pull it off. remember singers take on sabretooth ? awful! i also remember that Empire gave superman returns 5 stars . be nice to see the sentinels though.

Post #: 11
RE: why pt 2 - 4/2/2013 3:26:58 PM   
Mr Gittes

I definitely prefer Singer's take on the X universe over Vaughn's. I'll admit, the first X-Men movie was good but not great. But I really don't blame Singer since his production time was cut by about six months (keeping that in mind, he did a bloody good job). And let's not forget that it brought the superhero genre back from the dead so, come on, give respect where it's due. But I can understand if you don't like the movie, I don't love it myself. Limited production or not, there are problems; like you, I'm not a fan of Sabretooth in that movie, not to mention Toad or that godawful line from Storm. So I like it, but I definitely understand if you don't.

But when it comes to X2, I will defend it to my grave. I love that movie and I consider it a true classic of the genre. The following is just my opinion so please don't lash out at me...but I think X2 wipes the floor with First Class, which I liked by the way. It was the most fun movie and it restored my hope for the franchise but I certainly had problems with it: awful special effects; some unnecessary characters; pretty bad performances from some of the younger actors; Michael Fassbender's Irish accent taking over for the whole third act (completely pulled me out of the movie). I mean, seriously, just a spot of ADR could've fixed that and bumped the movie back up to 4 stars for me. But for the most part, I enjoyed the movie and was excited to see the next instalment.

But when I heard Singer was returning to the franchise my excitement levels skyrocketed. I'm sorry but, again, I prefer his take on the X universe. I think he nails the characters perfectly, I prefer his visual style, I think he directs action better, and on a side-note he genuinely cares that the special effects look good. I'm no CGI-junkie (it just helps movies like these to have good effects) and I don't mean that as a dig against Vaughn, but it is a common problem in his movies. But, hell, our opinions differ. I'm just letting you know that there are people out there who prefer Singer's take. By the way, I don't think the man walks on water; I'm not the biggest fan of Superman Returns either.

(in reply to elsquig)
Post #: 12
RE: why? - 4/2/2013 3:53:26 PM   
Mr Gittes

I have indeed. And they're as worthy as favourites get. Mine are Jaws and Once Upon A Time In The West. Tough to mix those two hee-hee. So I just went with my favourite Jack Nicholson role. Anyway, to get somewhat back on topic, after Future Past (three words I never thought I'd write together) I'd actually like to see Singer do one of the new Star Wars movies. But I'll still be a happy geek if he does yet another X-Men movie instead.

Post #: 13
RE: why pt 2 - 4/2/2013 3:54:16 PM   
AxlReznor

Personally, I consider First Class to be just as much Singer's vision as the first two movies, but he just bought someone else on board to direct it. Which is in no way a dig at Matthew Vaughn, who I think is an excellent director. But the film has Singer's fingerprints all over it. Which is exactly what the franchise needed after The Last Stand and Wolverine.

Thought the effects in First Class were pretty damn good, myself, though. It's my favourite of the X-Men films so far, but X-Men 2 isn't far behind.

By the way... what was wrong with Sabretooth in the original movie?

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 4/2/2013 3:58:37 PM >

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 14
RE: why pt 2 - 4/2/2013 5:26:15 PM   
Mr Gittes

Good point about Singer's vision. I don't think I'd go as far as saying that I wish he'd actually directed it as I agree that Matthew Vaughn is a very good director and I did enjoy First Class. I'm not saying all of the effects were bad but the majority of them just didn't look good to me. For example, the scene where Magneto stops all those missiles is a truly epic moment in the story but it just looked like a rushed special effect to me, diluting the impact of the scene. Whereas with X2, even 10 years later, the effects still look pretty damn good and effects-heavy scenes like Magneto's prison escape still have the impact they should have. But that's just me. Sometimes I can be a pathetic nit picker. Hell, I'd prefer to have First Class as it is rather than it having really good effects but a crap script. Again, I still enjoy the movie. Good on you for having it as your favourite.

Well, I didn't hate Sabretooth. He just kind of annoyed me. Maybe it was the constant roaring.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Bryan Singer On Days Of Future Past Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI