Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WEB!!!!)

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WEB!!!!) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WEB!!!!) - 28/1/2013 7:42:38 PM   
great_badir

WARNING - whilst there is nothing "NSFW", some of the following nevertheless may cause some upset...

Okay, so I've just spent the last couple of hours fretting. Basically my 11/12 year old niece wants some very specific makeup (which I understand is made and marketed specifically for younger teenage girls) which can only be bought from Japan. I won't use the name here, for fear of someone else having happen to them what has happened to me.

Anyway, it turns out that this particular brand of makeup (which IS legit and can be bought online) unfortunately has an identical name to another Japanese website which is, shall we say, dodgy. Basically young girls (maybe mid teenagers down to just under-10) in provocative clothing and poses. So, what I thought was the website for the makeup was, unfortunately, this other website. As it was in Japanese, I obviously didn't discover this until it was too late.

So, I quickly closed this website (feeling dreadful) and decided to Google image the makeup to make sure I got the right thing. To my horror, even with strict filtering on Chrome, many of the same pictures from this "other" website came up. Whilst there were no nude photos, or any depicting abuse, they were nevertheless what I would describe as highly questionable and what I would think were illegal - as I said, provocative clothing (basically adult lingerie) and poses. Think American teeny beauty pageant with more skin and less makeup.

And now I'm shocked, worried and concerned, to a major degree and am left with the following questions:
1 - is this stuff illegal? What with all the stuff going on with Jimmy and others, it's very high profile at the moment and, whilst I haven't paid for these images or anything, I've still had them come up on the laptop. Basically, am I gonna be like the guy a few years ago who unwittingly and provably innocently downloaded similar questionable material thinking he was downloading some business software or something, which then destroyed his life and branded him as a nonce for the next 10-15 years, with his family and friends having deserted him?
2 - what do I say to Mrs badir? We both use the same laptop and both rely more on internet history than we do bookmarks. If I clear the history now, she'll question it. If I don't, at some point she'll see. Do I just explain, with her having the knowledge of what our niece wanted?
3 - more generally, how does this sort of stuff turn up on a strict image search? I have to say that some of the images that came up during the image search were "worse" than those that came up when I initially went into the actual website. My daughter is 3 soon and, whilst that's obviously too young for her to be browsing the web, it's massively scared me at how easy this stuff came up.

I've contacted a couple of mates, one who would know about this sort of thing as he's on the periphery of this kind of thing with his job as a criminal justice worker (unfortunately straight to voice mail), the other who has no knowledge of this stuff but, as it all came up easily on a Google search suggested that I'm fine and have nowt to worry about. Easy for him to say, as he's not the one it happened to...

So where do I stand with this?!?!?

Please leave jokes to one side, at least for the time being, cos I am REALLY worried and shitting myself over this, for numerous reasons, and I'm also quite upset over what I've seen, and feel even worse when I think that far worse stuff than this goes on and people pay for it.

Apologies for casting my usual humourous self aside for a moment.

Thanks all.

(EDIT - you can tell how concerned I am about this, by how bad and repetitive my grammar is....)

< Message edited by great_badir -- 28/1/2013 7:45:50 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS
Post #: 1
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 7:59:38 PM   
sanchia

If you logged out rapidly this should be registered in any Internet traces which may occur (i.e. you were only there for a few seconds). It is a dangerous thing the internet. I myself a few years ago (about eight or so), whilst carrying out an internet search for something completely innocuous (I forget what precisely) and ended up on a site with some truly hideous images on them (which I later reported to the police but never heard anything about). The thing about that website was every time I tried to leave it a new page opened until about five seconds of extreme panic I pulled the power lead out of my computer. From people I know who work in the police they inform me that they are more interested in people who have a noticeable geography to their searches and visit sites often and have a pattern to their actions rather than what would be an accidental browse such as yours is (otherwise they would be arresting hundreds of people every day).

I would say explain the situation to the missus and clear the cache so that the site does not come up in the search bar when searching which will prevent future accidents.

I know where you are coming from as I spent a couple of months where I barely went near the internet after my incident and find it horrifying that such images are linked with completely innocent search terms which even children could search for.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 2
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 8:24:37 PM   
matty_b

I'm not a tecchy person, so can't help with the first or third question, but as for your wife, why not show her this post?

Your genuine horror and revulsion comes across and you can simply say you can explain it better by showing her it written down.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 3
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 8:27:20 PM   
borstal

No advice Im afraid but I remember searching for 'painting guides' a few years back which threw up some rather unpleasant images!

I work in a school and even with searchsafe on the tightest settings you get the odd naughty picture sneaking in.

Thats the problem with the internet but as mentioned above its obvious and repeated searches that get flagged.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 4
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 9:27:13 PM   
great_badir

Thanks for the serious responses.

My latter concerns are about the repeated searches - the paranoid part of my brain says that they ("they" being police or whomever might be looking) saw that I went to the website, they then saw me do a Google image search for the same thing, which brought up even more (and, as I said, "worse") images than the website itself. In fact, even MORE worryingly, more images from this website came up than images for the makeup.

The logical part of my brain is telling me I need not worry given that this material came up so easily, and that I can't be the only "innocent" person to have stumbled across it (which is where my mate was coming from earlier when he thought I needn't worry), and I'll be lost amongst a sea of people who DO want that stuff and have paid for it - and there'll be more of them than with REALLY dodgy stuff, cos it's not nude, there's no abuse and it's so easy to find. But, unfortunately, this is one of those times when logic goes right out the window and me telling myself it's okay just seems like thinly veiled justification backed up by intense worry.

I should repeat that none of the images were nude, nor depicted abuse (real or otherwise) and were "just" effectively fashion shots ("fashion" in the very very loosest term, of course). But it is nevertheless obvious that the images were intended for titillation, and are not "art" or "fashion" so, again, logic disappears and is replaced with that intense worry and also a longer term concern for what will happen when my daughter wants her own PC/laptop/tablet with internet. A few years off, I know, but this sort of thing can only become more of a problem in time.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 5
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 9:40:40 PM   
MonsterCat

Fucking hell, you'd think Google would keep a tighter reign on dodgy shit like that popping up in their search engine.

I'm not much of a techy person when it comes to things like that, but with the second part I suggest you just be upfront with Mrs Badir so you'll avoid any horrible misunderstandings.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 6
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 9:49:34 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
Fucking hell, you'd think Google would keep a tighter reign on dodgy shit like that popping up in their search engine.

Which is what makes part of me think that, actually, the images are NOT illegal, at least in terms of the law. Highly questionable and shocking yes, but illegal...

And, if that is the case, it is both a good and absolutely appalling thing. Good for me cos it means I needn't worry about this. Absolutely appalling that it's out there, literally, in the open. It's not even hidden. I mean pretty much nothing shocks or offends me, and compared with some other stuff we hear about, these images are nothing. On the other hand I AM shocked. Hugely shocked. And, like sanch said upthread, I'm sat here contemplating getting rid of the laptop and not going near the net ever again.

With regards Mrs b, I think you're all right and honesty is the best policy. She knows what our niece wants (I neglected to say it's for her birthday), so I can just tell her to Google search it (making sure she doesn't click on anything, of course) and she will soon see for herself.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 7
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 9:49:37 PM   
sanchia

A bit off the topic but it is a disturbing trend that essentially children overly sexualised in Japan (a bit of a sweeping statement I know and not completely correct as it is more complex). The prevalence of schoolgirl fantasy/rape in the media (hentai etc) is worrying and according to a report I just read by Yoshiro Hatano it appears that the rape of a child under 13 is not considered a crime unless charges are pressed by the parents which appears to be something which does not often occur if the person committing the assault is deemed of higher station. The report suggests this is something which has dripped down from the Samurai culture where the abuse of young boys was seen as the epitome of masculinity (again a simplification I realise). The stumbled onto was very probably a mainstream site in Japan.

Nothing to see here.

Post #: 8
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 9:54:38 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia
A bit off the topic but it is a disturbing trend that essentially children overly sexualised in Japan (a bit of a sweeping statement I know and not completely correct as it is more complex). The prevalence of schoolgirl fantasy/rape in the media (hentai etc) is worrying and according to a report I just read by Yoshiro Hatano it appears that the rape of a child under 13 is not considered a crime unless charges are pressed by the parents which appears to be something which does not often occur if the person committing the assault is deemed of higher station. The report suggests this is something which has dripped down from the Samurai culture where the abuse of young boys was seen as the epitome of masculinity (again a simplification I realise). The stumbled onto was very probably a mainstream site in Japan.

It would certainly seem to be the case.

Without wanting to research it too much for fear of what else might pop up, this and what you've just written above now explains a LOT of Family Guy jokes to me. Prior to now, the only related thing I've been aware of in Japanese culture is the hentai and anime stuff. But in those, the girls are typically drawn as busty and grown up, so it had never really occurred to me that they really think that the stuff I've seen tonight is okay. Which is a horrifying thought.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 9
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 10:01:07 PM   
MonsterCat

I think it might also be worth reporting the website to IWF, or a similar internet watchdog.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 10
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 10:22:12 PM   
great_badir

quote:

I think it might also be worth reporting the website to IWF, or a similar internet watchdog.

Yeah, I was thinking that. It shouldn't be that easy to find those images and have them come up on a strict filter search, especially when there is a product aimed at, basically, children which has exactly the same name (which, I should say, I'm sure is just coincidence and nothing else, and also just coincidence that they are both Japanese).

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 11
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 28/1/2013 11:45:51 PM   
steffols

First off, you should calm down. The police aren't going to come battering down your door. This has probably happened to more people than you know. I know it has happened to me and it made me terrified to go on the computer for about a week after. I was horrified that I had done something wrong, that I had intentionally sought it out when I know I hadn't.

Explain to your wife. It's completely innocent what happened and she will understand that. She will understand it more than if you keep it from her and she may end up finding it herself and you need to explain why you didn't tell her in the first place. As a female saying this, tell her.

I have no idea how you go about reporting something to internet officials, but if you are genuinely worried then I would advise you to do so. Especially if these images are creeping their way through into secure searches.

Clear your history (explain to your wife first), cookies, cache, everything. Make sure your computer is rid of the source.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

Post #: 12
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 8:58:04 AM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
I'm not a tecchy person, so can't help with the first or third question, but as for your wife, why not show her this post?

But then she would know he posts on Empire, that's really depraved.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 13
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 12:01:29 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief
quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

But then she would know he posts on Empire, that's really depraved.

Perish the thought...

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
First off, you should calm down. The police aren't going to come battering down your door. This has probably happened to more people than you know. I know it has happened to me and it made me terrified to go on the computer for about a week after. I was horrified that I had done something wrong, that I had intentionally sought it out when I know I hadn't.

Explain to your wife. It's completely innocent what happened and she will understand that. She will understand it more than if you keep it from her and she may end up finding it herself and you need to explain why you didn't tell her in the first place. As a female saying this, tell her.

I have no idea how you go about reporting something to internet officials, but if you are genuinely worried then I would advise you to do so. Especially if these images are creeping their way through into secure searches.

Clear your history (explain to your wife first), cookies, cache, everything. Make sure your computer is rid of the source.

Thanks.

I explained to Mrs badir last night and she was absolutely fine about it (albeit as shocked as me when I got her to search the same thing – I wasn’t entirely comfortable with doing it again, but it was the only way I could be sure that she’d see what happened to me with her own eyes). She said she would probably have looked for this makeup exactly the same way I did, and probs would have gone into the same website, so all fine on that front. If nothing else, at least we now know the “safe” way to search for and buy this makeup…

I’m still worried though – I barely slept last night, turning it over and over in my head, and I kept coming back to the story about the guy I mentioned above who unwittingly downloaded images (albeit far worse than the ones we saw last night, if memory serves) once and it was proven that he did it unwittingly, but his life still went to shit and he still was named as a nonce. I know I’ve not downloaded anything (unless they were VERY clandestine, there didn’t appear to be any pop-ups or anything from this website), but the website and the images are still there on the laptop somewhere, even though I’ve now cleared history, cache, temp files etc etc etc. But, on that point, I’m now thinking “regardless of how ‘clean’ the hard drive is, the authorities have seen I’ve been to that website and done a Google image search (heh – twice), so now it just looks like I’m hiding something”. And THEN I’m thinking “well, they got Chris Langham 5 years after he downloaded stuff, so I’ve potentially got several years of worry and looking over my shoulder”. Yeah, overly paranoid I know, but I can’t help it – I’m freaking out.

I was in no fit state to start looking at who best to report this to last night, so I’m gonna look into that tonight, but I’m guessing there must be some office within the police that deals with this sort of stuff. I did, however, do some brief searches on whether this particular website was legal or not (being very careful with what I typed in the search bar, and making sure I only clicked on links that looked safe and legit). From the few comments I found (mostly on Yahoo answers, but also on some “random stuff” forum which had a discussion about it [and general laws relating to images of children] between some American law students - some of the comments specific to the website went back as far as 2008, so it’s been running since at least then), the consensus seems to be that it was/is probs legal in Japan, but almost certainly illegal in the US and Europe since some new laws (not sure which one/s) came in in 2009. So now I’ve got that adding to my worries and concerns as well.

Unfortunately, those images were not just creeping in though, at least with this search – as I said, there were far more of these unsavoury images than there were for the makeup (I’m guessing, even though they both have the same English name, their Japanese names are very different…unless they REALLY don’t even bat an eyelid at this stuff in Japan), even on strict search, and almost the entire first row was comprised of the unsavoury images before it got to any for the makeup. Which makes me wonder if our niece and/or her parents have come across this stuff as well, or if she/they have just known the exact correct website to go to for the makeup.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 14
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 12:20:39 PM   
MonsterCat

OK, confession time here, although this probably isn't as serious as yours, Badir.

Thing with me is, I love porn, and I especially love women getting down with each other. But I'm always dead careful about what I'm watching and always make sure I'm watching sex between two consenting people of an appropriate age.

About two years ago, I think, I was surfing what I thought was a legit porn website, when I saw an ad at the upper right corner for another website which was dodgy in a way that made my stomach turn and I honestly felt like I was going to hurl.

Like you I was worried about the consequences, but I decided that honesty was the best policy, and if I was completely upfront about this I have nothing to fear. I reported the website to an internet watchdog (I forget which one it is) which specializes in stamping out on-line child abuse images and videos. About a day later, they contacted me and asked me for a few more details, which I did, and they said thanks for the heads-up and they'll look into it. Like I said, that was two years ago and I haven't heard anything about since, and my conscience is completely clear.

Like I said yesterday, report the website to an internet watchdog, be absolutely upfront about how you stumbled upon this filth, relay any details you can remember and you have nothing to fear. These people aren't a bunch of reactionary hot-heads who will label you a unstoppable super-pedo just because of one unfortunate mistake.

Like I said, I don't know if my situation is comparable to yours, but I feel if you're absolutely upfront about this then you're in the clear. I can only imagine people would start getting suspicious if this is a regular thing and credit card details are entered into websites where they shouldn't be.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 15
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 12:59:34 PM   
great_badir

quote:

OK, confession time here, although this probably isn't as serious as yours, Badir.

Thing with me is, I love porn, and I especially love women getting down with each other. But I'm always dead careful about what I'm watching and always make sure I'm watching sex between two consenting people of an appropriate age.

About two years ago, I think, I was surfing what I thought was a legit porn website, when I saw an ad at the upper right corner for another website which was dodgy in a way that made my stomach turn and I honestly felt like I was going to hurl.

Like you I was worried about the consequences, but I decided that honesty was the best policy, and if I was completely upfront about this I have nothing to fear. I reported the website to an internet watchdog (I forget which one it is) which specializes in stamping out on-line child abuse images and videos. About a day later, they contacted me and asked me for a few more details, which I did, and they said thanks for the heads-up and they'll look into it. Like I said, that was two years ago and I haven't heard anything about since, and my conscience is completely clear.

Like I said yesterday, report the website to an internet watchdog, be absolutely upfront about how you stumbled upon this filth, relay any details you can remember and you have nothing to fear. These people aren't a bunch of reactionary hot-heads who will label you a unstoppable super-pedo just because of one unfortunate mistake.

Like I said, I don't know if my situation is comparable to yours, but I feel if you're absolutely upfront about this then you're in the clear. I can only imagine people would start getting suspicious if this is a regular thing and credit card details are entered into websites where they shouldn't be.

Wow - I was not expecting that!!!! Sorry Cat - I wasn't fishing for an AA-style "I love porn" confessional from forumites. Unless you're already well known for it anyway (I don't remember any such confessions, so of course I now consider you a deviant and ask that you stay away from my wife and daughter )

You're right, of course - I'm no Savile in waiting. Definitely NO credit card used and only done 2/3 times.

Just done a brief search around and the two or three most common places to report this are the IWF (which you mentioned) and the Met's own e-crimes unit. Some more local constabularies also have their own cyber crime units (my local would be Avon & Somerset, which is huge, so I expect they do have one). So I think what I'm going to do is report it to both the IWF and A&S/Met (but later on tonight - not gonna do it here from work now. Just in case...) and see what, if anything, happens.

Thanks again for considered responses, all.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 16
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 1:06:33 PM   
MonsterCat

I thought it was common knowledge that I'm freaky like that.

No shame in admitting that I like a little bit of girl-on-girl nookie.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 17
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 1:14:59 PM   
Harley Quinn

I know how you feel badir and I'm glad Mrs badir is ok. Report it if you can.

My real name sounds "Cutsy", slightly pornish. My First name middle initial and my last name sounds almost James Bond Girl like. I've even had people from this board tell me they thought my last name was a flirty joke. Several years ago (At least ten - twelve) I had an email address that included my First name middle Initial and my last name. The amount of porn links, child porn links,swingers sites etc I got emailed was beyond a joke (30+ a day) Obviously we never opened it and I started to set up filters to delete it before it got to me. I did get the police involved once the child-porn started and they were great they came and took statements from everyone that used the PC Myself, my sister and my mum they did something with the PC but to be honest I can't tell you what. I We were given a crime number and an address to forward it all on to. They understood our distress and were really supportive with us. As it was a horrible situation to be in. We got rid of the email address in the end as it got to be too much,

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crushes down remorselessly all that stands in its path."

Owner of the Naughty Milkmaid.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 18
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 4:45:10 PM   
The2ndRing

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

Yeah, I was thinking that. It shouldn't be that easy to find those images and have them come up on a strict filter search, especially when there is a product aimed at, basically, children which has exactly the same name (which, I should say, I'm sure is just coincidence and nothing else, and also just coincidence that they are both Japanese).

I was going to say the same thing: https://www.iwf.org.uk/report will give you advice/contacts. Just be honest about it, it was a mistake and I daresay you aren't only person it has happened to. Tell your wife the truth, go through how it happened etc. Your story sounds perfectly legitimate.

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

Post #: 19
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 4:47:07 PM   
The2ndRing

Ah just saw you spoke to your wife. That's good. If you are that uncomfortable with what you have seen then you should report it, you aren't going to get in trouble, it is a plausible story that can be backed up.

I've been drunk for about a week now, and I thought it might sober me up to sit in a library

"Do you know what I like about you?
Fuck all."

(in reply to The2ndRing)
Post #: 20
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 4:51:18 PM   
Chief

But probably be best if you just stay prepared for a knock at the door. In fact, do the vice squad knock? They might just kick the door down.
Anyway, stay on your toes. For the rest of your life.

Post #: 21
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 29/1/2013 6:34:26 PM   
Hood_Man

This is one of the reasons I don't read /b/ on 4chan. The first (and only) time I went on, I scrolled down and saw, well, I don't think I need to tell you in light of this thread.

I didn't report it, I just ran away and never went back. Frankly I'm almost as terrified of the thought of 4chan guys tracking me down, as I am of someone thinking I was a paedo.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 22
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:02:12 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man
This is one of the reasons I don't read /b/ on 4chan. The first (and only) time I went on, I scrolled down and saw, well, I don't think I need to tell you in light of this thread.

I didn't report it, I just ran away and never went back. Frankly I'm almost as terrified of the thought of 4chan guys tracking me down, as I am of someone thinking I was a paedo.

EVERYTHING I’ve heard about chan suggests that all it hosts is sick images of kids and animals (I’m guessing I might be wrong, and it may have poo-fetish photos too…), so I’ve never even Googled it. I’m amazed the thing is still going, if it is. Porn is one thing, but what I’ve heard about chan is quite another altogether…

So I e-mailed both the IWF and Met last night. Avon & Somerset do have an e-crimes unit, but it’s geared up more for local fraud and data thievery/malicious attack within the region, otherwise it said stuff involving children should be reported to the IWF and more international e-crimes to the Met. Auto responses from both, along the lines of “we’ll contact you shortly if we need to”. About half an hour later the doorbell rang…

It was only our next door neighbour with a package for my wife that was left with them, but honest to dog I’ve never had such a wave of intense fear and panic come over me like that in my entire life – I was even calmer when I turned my car over 360 after skidding on spilt oil a few years ago! I seriously had an image of myself with a suited officer on either side of me, holding my arms and marching me to their Mondeo or Vectra, and then a really awful photo of me, taken when I had long-long hair and weighed nearly 15 stone, splashed all over the media (“neighbours said he was a friendly man who kept to himself”, etc).

I also finally spoke to my mate who’s a criminal justice worker in Glasgow. Although he admitted his knowledge of this kind of thing is reasonably limited (the only “client” he has on his books who has got involved with anything close to this is a 21 year old kid who had intercourse with a girl who turned out to be 13, 14 or 15 [I can’t remember which] – despite the fact that they met in a nightclub and she was passing herself off as 18 [corroborated by nightclub staff] and was drinking, and it seemed, from the club CCTV footage, that the initial getting-to-know-you stage was mutual and consentual, the girl still accused him of abuse, so the 21 year old kid has still had to sign the register and be housed in a secret location – fortunately I think he was spared prison by a sensible judge, but still had to do some form of time under the terms of the law, and the girl has walked away with not even a telling off), he too thinks I have nothing to worry about. Apart from it being a relatively provable mistake and the images being freely and easily available on a strict search (which, as he said, poses more of a moral problem than a criminal one with how these particular images are appearing), the impression he gets (which is not based on fact, just what he picks up on at work) at the moment is that the police are more worried about/concentrating on major abuse, large international child pornography rings (as in REALLY nasty stuff – the stuff I’ve seen doesn’t come under that umbrella) and repeat offenders with a long history of internet dodgyness. Unless there is some form of abuse behind the images, or any nude photos or intercourse with an adult, his opinion (again, not based on fact) is that there won’t be much the police can do and it will remain (very) low on their priority list. Which isn’t to say that it isn’t wrong or legal, just that there ARE far worse things going on with kids that require more immediate attention and police power. Like my mate said – the police can’t be everywhere at once.

So with that, and all the other advice you fine peeps have given me, I do feel slightly more at ease, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t still a bit worried and, again, I didn’t sleep much last night. Nor can I say that sending e-mails to the IWF and Met has left me with a clear conscience.

Anyway, they have all my details now, so I await an armed response unit.

And Chief – I didn’t scroll down far enough to spot the smiley face at first…you c-word…

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 23
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:06:12 PM   
UTB

I can't help but giggle Badir... but only at the point that most responses have said the police are after repeat offenders and yet you got the missus to search for it as well.

Post #: 24
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:27:43 PM   
MonsterCat

An Armed Response Unit?

Did you accidentally click on an Al-Qaeda site, too?

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 25
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:32:41 PM   
Olaf

Not sure why I'm bothering to, but it should be pointed out that 4chan is not /b/. If, say, Grandstand was populated exclusively by tryhard edgy thirteen year olds who post illegal material all day long and people were as a result to say that Empire as a whole is nothing but child porn and stuff, it would be equally misguided. Reddit is just as bad (if not much, much worse) for this kind of thing.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 26
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:34:46 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB
I can't help but giggle Badir... but only at the point that most responses have said the police are after repeat offenders and yet you got the missus to search for it as well.

I always say, if a crime's worth doing, it's worth doing twice.

quote:

An Armed Response Unit?

Did you accidentally click on an Al-Qaeda site, too?

Accidentally? No...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 27
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:37:04 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf
Not sure why I'm bothering to, but it should be pointed out that 4chan is not /b/. If, say, Grandstand was populated exclusively by tryhard edgy thirteen year olds who post illegal material all day long and people were as a result to say that Empire as a whole is nothing but child porn and stuff, it would be equally misguided. Reddit is just as bad (if not much, much worse) for this kind of thing.

Hang on, I'm confused - what's /b/?

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 28
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:48:47 PM   
paulyboy

I love the paranoia in here!

I've stumbled across the odd piece of questionable content on the internet before, purely by mistake or even a pop-up, it happens.

It's not nice and I always feel compelled to do a full clean of histories, temp files and what not afterwards, but rarely give it a thought beyond that.

On a related note, about six months ago I was at work minding my own (wasn't even browsing the web if memory serves, was editing a word document) when the screen went blank suddenly for a second or two and up pops a Metropolitan Police sign with a warning stating that my PC had been flagged for viewing child pornography and locked down as a result.

Now, even though I'd class myself as technically savvy and in full knowledge that the police aren't liable or even necessarily capable of doing such a thing, for a few short seconds, I immediately shat myself. Even though I knew I hadn't looked at anything like that, given that it was a work PC my thoughts spiralled like you wouldn't believe, I'd get he blame, lose my job etc, etc.

I was in the midst of a full blown panic attack when I then noticed the rest of the warning, basically saying that if I pay the police Łxx they'll leave me alone.

Immediate relief, it was a dodgy trojan, god knows how it got there in the first place. Fortunately I hold an IT job in charge of such things so just cleared the trojan off and that was that, genuinely scared the bejesus out of me for a second though!

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 29
RE: Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WE... - 30/1/2013 12:53:51 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

Hang on, I'm confused - what's /b/?

It's a subforum on 4chan (it's the 'off topic'/'random' board, which roughly translates to 'teenagers trying to impress each other'). It's a shithole certainly, but it's only one subforum on a pretty large website where the quality fluctuates massively from board to board. Obviously the overall tone isn't for everyone - I'd imagine you would have got a very different response if you'd posted this thread there, for instance - but people who depict 4chan as some kind of paedophile hangout while talking about how much they love the hilarious and addictive Reddit are just ignoring the fact that giant websites will always attract horrible people by the fact of sheer numbers.

Again, I don't even know why I'm defending the website particularly - I don't really use it as much as I used to, and even then it was only really the sports board and the music board.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Internet worries (AKA "CURSE YOU WORLD WIDE WEB!!!!) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI