Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Spielberg Moments That Are Quintessentially Spielberg

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Spielberg Moments That Are Quintessentially Spielberg Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Spielberg Moments That Are Quintessentially Spielberg - 28/1/2013 12:51:56 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
- 28/1/2013 12:51:56 PM   
Kardom

Mainly excellent choices but I think there are several better quintesential Spielberg moments in Saving Private Ryan than the one you have mentioned. e.g. the soldier who gets shot in the helmet (snigger) and takes it off due to how lucky he is only to be instantly shot again, the build up to the final battle where we here the tank approaching but see nothing at first, that is spine tinglingly tense and my personal favourite Spielberg- esqe moment is during the scene where Caparzzo has been shot the sniper turns his aim to the pile of rubble where Jackson is hiding. We see the sniper's pov and we see a tiny flash of Jackson's muzzle and a bullet takes out the sniper. Its the little details.

Good shout for Always, an oft overlooked film, one of the best opening shots of any film

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Crystal Skull Moment - 28/1/2013 2:14:49 PM   
bnicholson50

Empire clearly struggled to find anything innovative about Hook, Terminal or Crystal Skull. They are Terrible movies with nothing particularly interesting about them. The moment Empire picked out for Crystal Skull was a routine shooting of what the script called for. It's so called "Quintessentially Spielberg Moment" is nothing more than what David Koepp wrote.

Post #: 3
better moments - 28/1/2013 3:08:12 PM   
zeech1941

Jurassic Park - Malcolm wiping condensation off a window so he can see the TRex attack
Empire of the Sun - the struggle seen in footprints left in talcum powder
Hook - Hook amd Smee planning their revenge, while Hook tires to kill himself
Terminal - Hanks collects trollies
Crystal Skull - Indy is pulled into a car from the bike, has a fight and gets back on bike from the other side

Post #: 4
Zemekis - 28/1/2013 4:34:27 PM   
darthmax1

Hate to be nitpicky but TECHNICALLY Zemekis came up with the E.T. moment chosen. It is undeniably Spielberg-y but actually...isn't.

Post #: 5
RE: Zemekis - 28/1/2013 11:55:03 PM   
dolfinack

Yessss nice article but of course most of these were thought up by the screenwriter, not designed by the director. I'm a little tired of people confusing the two.

"I'm as human as the next man"

"Dad! I WAS the next man!"

(in reply to darthmax1)
Post #: 6
Well Done - You can copy and paste! - 29/1/2013 10:19:37 AM   
mickybeakes

I do love you Empire, but come on!!!!!! Didn't this article appear in your printed magazine a while back (okay IT DID - I just can't remember which one.) Was it 1001 Great Movie Moments or a cool list?!

Post #: 7
Always - 29/1/2013 11:10:24 AM   
sagart

"It also includes a kind of Elmer Thudd type hunter, a figure of fun that Spielberg had satirised in early stuff like The Sugarland Express and Jaws."

Elmer Thudd? Is that what happens to Elmer Fudd when Bugs Bunny hits him really hard?

Post #: 8
Close Encounters - mountain reveal - 29/1/2013 12:59:56 PM   
jrewing1000

The living room shot of Roy beside his mountain model, as the mountain appears on TV is the single greatest shot in cinema history.

Post #: 9
War of the Worlds - 29/1/2013 4:48:37 PM   
tubagod81

This would be a good moment except for the fact that the aliens were supposed to have wiped out all things electronic (watches, cars, TVs, lights, etc). This turns what would be a good moment into a major continuity issue. I guess the aliens were successful in wiping out all electronics with the exception of this video camera and the van that Tom Cruise jump starts to escape.

Post #: 10
Jaws - 30/1/2013 1:52:25 PM   
danielthompson99

I'd pick the moment where the Orca (Quint's boat) is leaving Amity Harbour. The view we see from the camera, from Quint's shack goes up to the shark jaw bones perfectly framing the boat between the teeth.

Post #: 11
So many to choose from. - 30/1/2013 8:25:53 PM   
oldstuff

Spielberg is unquestionably the greatest film director of all-time. The variety of films, genres and ability to channel all human emotions puts him on a different level than those film auteurs who prefer to stick to what they know best.

Post #: 12
Jaws - 31/1/2013 12:34:31 AM   
maxdhart

when Schnieder first sees the boy on the lilo getting attack and how the camera zooms in on schineders face and the surroundings bend = genius

Post #: 13
- 1/2/2013 9:40:13 AM   
warren7355

Directors get far, far too much credit for what is a team effort involving hundreds of people. Give a good director a poor team (Ridley Scott, Speilberg, whoever) and the film is a turkey, which shows just how much the Director actually influences the outcome.

Post #: 14
- 1/2/2013 9:59:34 AM   
warren7355

Directors get far, far too much credit for what is a team effort involving hundreds of people. Give a good director a poor team (Ridley Scott, Speilberg, whoever) and the film is a turkey, which shows just how much the Director actually influences the outcome.

Post #: 15
Shooting Stars - 2/2/2013 2:22:25 AM   
Duane Barry

Not one mention of the shooting stars that appear in a lot of early films. I know someone always has a critique but it's a pretty big ommission - mabey it was too obvious to include but worth a mention.
They sum up magic so easily - i love when they appear - they are like a breath of wonder . Films I remember them in are Jaws, Temple of Doom, I think in Poltergeist... fantastic stuff.
There are so many other touches that could be included but the list would never end

Post #: 16
- 2/2/2013 2:23:00 PM   
BenTramer

“America and Russia and England all knew about the Holocaust when it was happening, and yet we did nothing about it,." Not exactly a fair comment. The major concentration camps like Auschwitz were in Eastern Europe, the US and UK were coming in from Western Europe, nowhere near them. The Russians denied the Western allies use of their airfields to bomb the camps. Even if they had bombed them, innocent people would've been killed and the survivors sent on a death march to another camp. The only way to stop the Holocaust was to defeat Hitler and the Nazis and that's what they did.

Post #: 17
One More Thing... - 2/2/2013 2:32:02 PM   
BenTramer

Oh and the kid in the red coat is the obvious visual to pick from Schindler's List but it's a little too cloying. I preferred the more sublte arrival at Auschwitz scene and the unearthly eerie glow coming in through the slits in the cattle car. A real "oh shit" moment.

< Message edited by BenTramer -- 2/2/2013 2:34:56 PM >

Post #: 18
War Horse - 3/2/2013 6:30:47 PM   
tolkienerd

I thought the riderless horses jumping over the machine gun positions was the most quintessentially Spielberg moment in the whole movie :)

Post #: 19
War Horse - 3/2/2013 6:39:05 PM   
tolkienerd

I thought the riderless horses jumping over the machine gun positions was the most quintessentially Spielberg moment in the whole movie :)

Post #: 20
RE: The Spielberg Moments That Are Quintessentially Spi... - 15/2/2013 11:28:49 AM   
Giants14

I enjoyed looking through the list - some excellent moments there.

Some of the one's i have thought off

Jaws
Shark pops out of the water and brody retreats to state' We're gonna need a bigger boat'
Hooper playing cards 'stop playing with yourself hooper' states robert shaw haha

Schindler's List - Girl in red was powerful and moving - excellent shot!

Crystal skull - Indy survives nuclear blast through fridge

With the crystal skull- it felt speigberg excellence for half the movie - shotgun shells through area 51 etc with George lucas doing the 2nd part from the jungle scene were imo went rubbish

Who is your daddy? and what does he do?

Post #: 21
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> The Spielberg Moments That Are Quintessentially Spielberg Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI