Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 6:25:08 PM   
Beetlejuice!

Here's a little list I've created using the help of the results of forum members ratings in the Top 100 Thread.

Previous lists:

The 50 Greatest Dramas
The 50 Greatest Comedies
The 50 Greatest Fantasy
The 50 Greatest Heroic Missions
The 50 Greatest Comedy Dramas
The 50 Greatest Period Films
The 50 Greatest Science Fiction Movies
The 50 Greatest Thrillers
The 50 Greatest Psychological Dramas
The 50 Greatest Crime Movies
Post #: 1
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 6:28:27 PM   
Beetlejuice!

The book says, "We might be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us." 
 recurring dialogue, Paul Thomas Anderson, Magnolia (1999)

The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 2
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 6:38:35 PM   
Beetlejuice!

50. Paul (Marlon Brando) - Last Tango in Paris (1972)

"Even if a husband lives 200 hundred fucking years, he'll never discover his wife's true nature. I may be able to understand the secrets of the universe, but... I'll never understand the truth about you. Never."

While looking for an apartment, Jeanne, a beautiful young Parisienne, encounters Paul, a mysterious American expatriate mourning his wife's recent suicide. Instantly drawn to each other, they have a stormy, passionate affair, in which they do not reveal their names to each other. Their relationship deeply affects their lives, as Paul struggles with his wife's death and Jeanne prepares to marry her fiance, Tom, a film director making a cinema-verite documentary about her.

Post #: 3
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 6:44:54 PM   
Beetlejuice!

49. Antiochus 'Tony' Wilson (Rock Hudson / John Randolph) - Seconds (1966)

"I couldn't help it, Charlie. I had to find out where I went wrong. The years I've spent trying to get all the things I was told were important - that I was supposed to want! Things! Not people... or meaning. Just things. And California was the same. They made the decisions for me all over again and they were the same things, really. It's going to be different from now on. A new face and a name. I'll do the rest. I know it's going to be different. I suppose you do too."

Middle-aged banker Arthur Hamilton is given the opportunity to start a completely new life when he receives calls from his old friend Charlie. The only problem is that Charlie is supposed to be dead. Hamilton is eventually introduced to a firm that will fake his death and create an entirely new look and life for him. After undergoing physical reconstruction surgery and months of training and psychotherapy, Hamilton returns to the world in the form of artist Tony Wilson. He has a nice house in Malibu and a manservant, a company employee who is there to assist him with his adjustment. He finds that the life he had hoped for isn't quite what he expected and asks the company to go through the process with surprising results.

Post #: 4
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 6:49:17 PM   
Beetlejuice!

48. John Baxter (Donald Sutherland) & Laura Baxter (Julie Christie) - Don't Look Now (1973)

"This one who's blind. She's the one that can see."

John and Laura Baxter are in Venice when they meet a pair of elderly sisters, one of whom claims to be psychic. She insists that she sees the spirit of the Baxters' daughter, who recently drowned. Laura is intrigued, but John resists the idea. He, however, seems to have his own psychic flashes, seeing their daughter walk the streets in her red cloak, as well as Laura and the sisters on a funeral gondola.

Post #: 5
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 27/1/2013 11:58:57 PM   
Beetlejuice!

47. Dr. Frankenstein (Gene Wilder) - Young Frankenstein (1974)

"My grandfather... was a very... SICK... man."

A young neurosurgeon (Gene Wilder) inherits the castle of his grandfather, the famous Dr. Victor von Frankenstein. In the castle he finds a funny hunchback called Igor, a pretty lab assistant named Inga and the old housekeeper, frau Blucher -iiiiihhh!-. Young Frankenstein believes that the work of his grandfather is only crap, but when he discovers the book where the mad doctor described his reanimation experiment, he suddenly changes his mind...

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 27/1/2013 11:59:23 PM >

Post #: 6
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 12:06:00 AM   
Beetlejuice!

46. Shane (Alan Ladd) - Shane (1953)

"There's no living with a killing. There's no goin' back from one. Right or wrong, it's a brand... a brand sticks. There's no goin' back. Now you run on home to your mother and tell her... tell her everything's alright. And there aren't any more guns in the valley."

An ex-gunfighter, Shane is a complicated man, to say the least. He has retired from gun fighting and is trying to settle as a farm hand on a small ranch in a small town (if you can call it that) called Crossroads. But Shane is more than just a farmhand. He's a member of the family as much as any of the Starrett's. Shane is known to make many of the day-to-day decisions. Joey, the little eight year old boy, looks up to him as a father. Shane loves Joey, which is evident. Though Shane doesn't carry his gun with him as a rule, if he suspects trouble, he straps it on. Normally, the gun is kept wrapped in his poncho under his bed. He doesn't walk into trouble on purpose, but it always seems to find him.

Post #: 7
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 12:10:11 AM   
Beetlejuice!

45. Frank Horrigan (Clint Eastwood) - In the Line of Fire (1993)

"You're looking at a living legend, Lilly. The only active agent who ever lost a president."

Frank Horrigan is a secret service agent who keeps thinking back to November 22, 1963, when, as a hand-picked agent by President Kennedy, he became one of the few agents to have lost a President to an assassin when Kennedy died. Now, former CIA assassin Mitch Leary is stalking the current President, who is running for re-election. Mitch has spent long hours studying Horrigan, and he taunts Horrigan, telling him of his plans to kill the President. Leary plans to kill the president because Leary feels betrayed by the government -- Leary was removed from the CIA, and the CIA is now trying to have him killed. After talking to Leary, Horrigan makes sure he is assigned to presidential protection duty, working with fellow secret service agent Lilly Raines. Horrigan has no intention of failing his President this time around, and he's more than willing to take a bullet.

Post #: 8
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 12:49:18 PM   
Beetlejuice!

44. Michael Berg (Ralph Fiennes / David Kross) - The Reader (2008)

"I was fifteen. I was coming home from school. I was feeling ill. And a woman helped me."

Michael Berg is 15 years old when he develops Scarlet Fever and must stay in bed for months. As he recovers, he searches for the 30-something woman who helped him when he first became sick. He finds her, and they become lovers. She insists that he read to her each time before they make love. When he turns 16, she leaves. Years later, in law school, he finds her again. This time, she is being tried by a German court: she was a guard over women at Auschwitz and sent them to their death. He struggles because he knows a secret about her that could result in her receiving a lesser prison sentence.

Post #: 9
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 12:53:55 PM   
Beetlejuice!

43. Tommy Conlon (Tom Hardy) - Warrior (2011)

"So you found God, huh? That's awesome. See, Mom kept calling out for him but he wasn't around. I guess Jesus was down at the mill forgiving all the drunks. Who knew?"

Two brothers face the fight of a lifetime - and the wreckage of their broken family - within the brutal, high-stakes world of Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) fighting. An ex-Marine haunted by a tragic past, Tommy returns to his hometown of Pittsburgh and enlists his father, a recovered alcoholic and his former coach, to train him for an MMA tournament awarding the biggest purse in the history of the sport. As Tommy blazes a violent path towards the title prize, his brother, Brendan, a former MMA fighter unable to make ends meet as a public school teacher, returns to the amateur ring to provide for his family. Even though years have passed, recriminations and past betrayals keep Brendan bitterly estranged from both Tommy and his father. But when Brendan's unlikely rise as an underdog sets him on a collision course with Tommy, the two brothers must finally confront the forces that tore them apart.

Post #: 10
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 1:04:08 PM   
AxlReznor

Tom Hardy was fantastic in that role.

Post #: 11
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 28/1/2013 1:22:26 PM   
Beetlejuice!

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Tom Hardy was fantastic in that role.

Agreed, the scene with Nick Nolte where he had returned to drink was heartbreaking.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 12
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 2/2/2013 1:03:21 PM   
Beetlejuice!

42. Aleksei (Innokentiy Smoktonovsky) - Mirror (1975)

"I can't wait to see this dream in which ill be a child again and feel happy again because everything will still be ahead, everything will be possible..."

Director Andrei Tarkovsky mixes flashbacks, historical footage and original poetry to illustrate the reminiscences of a dying man about his childhood during World War II, adolescence, and a painful divorce in his family. The story interweaves reflections about Russian history and society.

Post #: 13
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 2/2/2013 4:18:22 PM   
Beetlejuice!

41. Amir (Khalid Abdala) - The Kite Runner (2007)

"You see, General Sahib, my father slept with his servant's wife, and she bore him a son named Hassan. Hassan is dead now. That boy sleeping in the other room is Hassan's son. He's my nephew. That's what you tell people when they ask. And one more thing, General Sahib: you will never again refer to him as "a Hazara boy" in my presence. He has a name, and it's Sohrab."

After spending years in California, Amir returns to his homeland in Afghanistan to help his old friend Hassan, whose son is in trouble.

Post #: 14
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 2/2/2013 4:23:40 PM   
Beetlejuice!

40. Jimmy Ringo (Gregory Peck) - The Gunfighter (1950)

"How come I've got to run into a squirt like you nearly every place I go these days? What are you trying to do? Show off for your friends?"

A reformed Gunfighter Jimmy Ringo is on his way to a sleepy town in the hope of a reunion with his estranged sweetheart and their young son who he has never seen. On arrival, a chance meeting with some old friends including the town's Marshal gives the repentant Jimmy some respite. But as always Jimmy's reputation has already cast its shadow, this time in the form of three vengeful cowboys hot on his trail and a local gunslinger hoping to use Jimmy to make a name for himself. With a showdown looming, the town is soon in a frenzy as news of Jimmy's arrival spreads. His movements are restricted to the saloon while a secret meeting with his son can be arranged giving him ideas of a long term reunion with his family far removed from his wild past.

Post #: 15
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 2/2/2013 7:08:01 PM   
Beetlejuice!

39. Walt Kowalski (Clint Eastwood) - Gran Torino (2008)

"The thing that haunts a guy is the stuff he wasn't ordered to do."

Walt Kowalski is a widower who holds onto his prejudices despite the changes in his Michigan neighborhood and the world around him. Kowalski is a grumpy, tough-minded, unhappy an old man, who can't get along with either his kids or his neighbors, a Korean War veteran whose prize possession is a 1972 Gran Torino he keeps in mint condition. When his neighbor Thao, a young Hmong teenager under pressure from his gang member cousin, tries to steal his Gran Torino, Kowalski sets out to reform the youth. Drawn against his will into the life of Thao's family, Kowalski is soon taking steps to protect them from the gangs that infest their neighborhood.

Post #: 16
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 2/2/2013 7:13:08 PM   
Beetlejuice!

38. Simba (Matthew Broderick) - The Lion King (1994)

"She's wrong. I can't go back. What would it prove, anyway? You can't change the past."

Tricked into thinking he killed his father, a guilt ridden lion cub flees into exile and abandons his identity as the future King.

Post #: 17
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 3/2/2013 4:36:07 PM   
Beetlejuice!

37. Charlotte Vale (Bette Davis) - Now, Voyager (1942)

"I didn't want to be born. You didn't want me to be born. It's been a calamity on both sides."

Boston spinster blossoms under therapy and finds impossible romance.

Post #: 18
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 19/2/2013 2:51:14 PM   
Beetlejuice!

36. Will Hunting (Matt Damon) - Good Will Hunting (1997)

"He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, "Choose.""

A touching tale of a wayward young man who struggles to find his identity, living in a world where he can solve any problem, except the one brewing deep within himself, until one day he meets his soul mate who opens his mind and his heart.

Post #: 19
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 19/2/2013 11:02:55 PM   
Beetlejuice!

35. Irena Debrovna Reed (Simone Simon) - Cat People (1942)

"I like the dark. It's friendly."

Irena Dubrovna, a beautiful and mysterious Serbian-born fashion artist living in New York City, falls in love with and marries average-Joe American Oliver Reed. Their marriage suffers though, as Irena believes that she suffers from an ancient curse- whenever emotionally aroused, she will turn into a panther and kill. Oliver thinks that is absurd and childish, so he sends her to psychiatrist Dr. Judd to cure her. Easier said than done...

Post #: 20
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 19/2/2013 11:10:32 PM   
Beetlejuice!

34. Various (whole cast) - The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

Nicole (Sarah Polley): "As you see her, two years later, I wonder if you realize something. I wonder if you understand that all of us - Dolores, me, the children who survived, the children who didn't - that we're all citizens of a different town now. A place with its own special rules and its own special laws. A town of people living in the sweet hereafter. "

A small community is torn apart by a tragic accident which kills most of the town's children. A lawyer visits the victims' parents in order to profit from the tragedy by stirring up the their anger and launching a class action suit against anyone they can blame. The community is paralyzed by its anger and cannot let go. All but one young girl, left in a wheelchair after the accident, who finds the courage to lead the way toward healing.

< Message edited by Beetlejuice! -- 19/2/2013 11:14:35 PM >

Post #: 21
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 19/2/2013 11:17:10 PM   
Beetlejuice!

33. Various (whole cast) - Magnolia (1999)

Narrator (Ricky Jay): "And there is the account of the hanging of three men, and a scuba diver, and a suicide. There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows? And we generally say, "Well, if that was in a movie, I wouldn't believe it." Someone's so-and-so met someone else's so-and-so and so on. And it is in the humble opinion of this narrator that strange things happen all the time. And so it goes, and so it goes. And the book says, "We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

24 hours in L.A.; it's raining cats and dogs. Two parallel and intercut stories dramatize men about to die: both are estranged from a grown child, both want to make contact, and neither child wants anything to do with dad. Earl Partridge's son is a charismatic misogynist; Jimmy Gator's daughter is a cokehead and waif. A mild and caring nurse intercedes for Earl, reaching the son; a prayerful and upright beat cop meets the daughter, is attracted to her, and leads her toward a new calm. Meanwhile, guilt consumes Earl's young wife, while two whiz kids, one grown and a loser and the other young and pressured, face their situations. The weather, too, is quirky.

Post #: 22
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 20/2/2013 9:50:15 PM   
Beetlejuice!

32. Nick (Christopher Walken) - The Deer Hunter (1978)

"I don't think about that much with one shot anymore, Mike."

Michael, Steven and Nick are young factory workers from Pennsylvania who enlist into the Army to fight in Vietnam. Before they go, Steven marries the pregnant Angela and their wedding-party is also the men's farewell party. After some time and many horrors the three friends fall in the hands of the Vietcong and are brought to a prison camp in which they are forced to play Russian roulette against each other. Michael makes it possible for them to escape, but they soon get separated again.

Post #: 23
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 20/2/2013 9:55:19 PM   
Beetlejuice!

31. Manuela (Cecilia Roth) - All About My Mother (1999)

"I'm not a whore. I've been fucked around a lot, but I'm not a whore."

A single mother in Madrid sees her only son die on his 17th birthday as he runs to seek an actress's autograph. She goes to Barcelona to find the lad's father, a transvestite named Lola who does not know he has a child. First she finds her friend, Agrado, a wild yet caring transvestite; through him she meets Rosa, a young nun bound for El Salvador, but instead finds out she is pregnant by Lola. Manuela becomes the personal assistant of Huma Rojo, the actress her son admired, by helping Huma manage Nina, the co-star and Huma's lover. However, Agrado soon takes over when Manuela must care for Hermana Rosa's risky pregnancy. With echos of Lorca, "All About Eve," and "Streetcar Named Desire," the mothers (and fathers and actors) live out grief, love, and friendship.

Post #: 24
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 24/2/2013 5:35:13 PM   
Beetlejuice!

30. Penguin / Oswald Cobblepot (Danny DeVito) - Batman Returns (1992)

"True. I was their number one son, and they treated me like number two."

Having defeated the Joker, Batman now faces the Penguin - a warped and deformed individual who is intent on being accepted into Gotham society. Born deformed and abandoned by his aristocratic parents, he spends his life in the sewers of Gotham City. He forms an alliance with Max Shreck so he can enter Gotham high society and run for mayor, but his real intentions are to kill every first-born son in Gotham City.

Post #: 25
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 24/2/2013 5:39:44 PM   
Beetlejuice!

29. Carlito 'Charlie' Brigante (Al Pacino) - Carlito's Way (1993)

"I don't invite this shit, it just comes to me. I run, it runs after me. Gotta be somewhere to hide."

A Puerto Rican ex-con pledges to stay away from his former drug dealing ways but finds himself being dragged back by his past connections and the naive machinations of his lawyer and best friend. Hoping to raise enough money to get away from New York, Carlito Brigante takes on the job of running a nightclub, renews an affair with a dancer but old associates and old instincts suck him back into a world of violence and mistrust.

Post #: 26
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 24/2/2013 5:43:32 PM   
Beetlejuice!

28. Bruce Wayne / Batman (Christian Bale) - Batman Begins (2005)

"They told me there was nothing out there, nothing to fear. But the night my parents were murdered I caught a glimpse of something. I've looked for it ever since. I went around the world, searched in all the shadows. And there is something out there in the darkness, something terrifying, something that will not stop until it gets revenge... Me."

When his parents were killed, millionaire playboy Bruce Wayne relocates to Asia when he is mentored by Henri Ducard and Ra's Al Ghul in how to fight evil. When learning about the plan to wipe out evil in Gotham City by Ducard, Bruce prevents this plan from getting any further and heads back to his home. Back in his original surroundings, Bruce adopts the image of a bat to strike fear into the criminals and the corrupt as the icon known as 'Batman'. But it doesn't stay quiet for long.

Post #: 27
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 25/2/2013 12:09:15 AM   
Beetlejuice!

27. Hamlet (Kenneth Branagh) - Hamlet (1996) / Hamlet (Laurence Olivier) - Hamlet (1948)

"I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth, forgone all custom of exercises; and indeed, it goes so heavily with my disposition that this goodly frame, the earth, seems to me a sterile promontory; this most excellent canopy, the air, look you, this brave o'erhanging firmament, this majestical roof fretted with golden fire! Why, it appears no other thing to me than a foul and pestilent congregation of vapours. What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculties! In form and moving, how express and admirable! In action how like an angel! in apprehension, how like a god! The beauty of the world! The paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust?"

Hamlet, son of the king of Denmark, is summoned home for his father's funeral and his mother's wedding to his uncle. In a supernatural episode, he discovers that his uncle, whom he hates anyway, murdered his father. In an incredibly convoluted plot--the most complicated and most interesting in all literature--he manages to (impossible to put this in exact order) feign (or perhaps not to feign) madness, murder the "prime minister," love and then unlove an innocent whom he drives to madness, plot and then unplot against the uncle, direct a play within a play, successfully conspire against the lives of two well-meaning friends, and finally take his revenge on the uncle, but only at the cost of almost every life on stage, including his own and his mother's.

Post #: 28
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 25/2/2013 12:54:50 PM   
Beetlejuice!

26. Laura (Belen Rueda) - The Orphanage (2007)

"One, two, three, knock on the wall."

Laura, a former orphan, raises her adopted son Simón together with her husband Carlos in an old house and former orphanage where she was raised. While at the orphanage Simón tells Laura that he has five invisible friends which she believes are a product of his active imagination. Laura decides to reopen the orphanage to cater for disabled children and throws a party. During the party Simón tries to persuade Laura to go and take a look at his friends cabin but she's too busy. Later on she sees a mysterious masked boy and realizes that Simón has also disappeared. Laura feels the presence of other people in the house and months later Laura invites a team of parapsychologists to try to unravel the mystery.

Post #: 29
RE: The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters - 25/2/2013 1:03:13 PM   
Beetlejuice!

25. Kris Kelvin (Donatas Banionis) - Solaris (1972) / Chris Kelvin (George Clooney) - Solaris (2002)

"You love that which you can lose, yourself, a woman, a country."

The Solaris mission has established a base on a planet that appears to host some kind of intelligence, but the details are hazy and very secret. After the mysterious demise of one of the three scientists on the base, the main character is sent out to replace him. He finds the station run-down and the two remaining scientists cold and secretive. When he also encounters his wife who has been dead for ten years, he begins to appreciate the baffling nature of the alien intelligence.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> The 50 Greatest 'Haunted by the Past' Characters Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI