Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Blu Ray player inputs/outputs

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Blu Ray player inputs/outputs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 3:08:16 PM   
steelydan3

Guys, have spied a cheap Blu Ray player, and wondering if my current 5.1 system will work on it. My current system came along with the DVD player, and the speakers are all connected to the DVD player with wires inserted into the back of the DVD player. Will I be able to do this with the Blu Ray player, or will I require a new surround sound system. I'm unaware of what connections are round the back of a Blu Ray player (never looked at the back of one) and unaware of how to connect surround systems up-the current one was my first, and like I said, that attaches up simply to the DVD player. Please help, would like to be able to make the leap up to Blu Ray!

"I've had a bellyful of you and your cheap heroics"

"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

"The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success"

Post #: 1
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 3:54:09 PM   
paulyboy

If it's a stand alone Blu-Ray player then no, you won't be able to plug all the speakers into it.

Your DVD player is most likely an All-In-One solution, which means it contains amplification (for the speakers) amongst other things.

What you might be able to do is plug the Blu-Ray into the DVD All-In-One combo unit via optical or coaxial leads and use it that way, for sound only. You'll have to see if your DVD All-In-One unit has inputs (not outputs) on the back for such things, it might not even support external inputs, but it's worth a look.

Hope this helps.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 2
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 10:05:03 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulyboy

What you might be able to do is plug the Blu-Ray into the DVD All-In-One combo unit via optical or coaxial leads and use it that way, for sound only. You'll have to see if your DVD All-In-One unit has inputs (not outputs) on the back for such things, it might not even support external inputs, but it's worth a look.

Hope this helps.

This is exactly my setup - we have a DVD/HDD combo with surround sound and the Blu Ray plugs into it via the old red/white cables.

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 10:06:47 PM   
rich

I currently use a PS3 for Blu Ray movies, which lets me output the sound through our older DVD player speaker combo setup through the standard red-white leads easily enough. Does your player have those ports on the back? It's never going to get any kind of HD sound upgrade but it works enough for me.

Edit: as UTB said while I was still typing. So sounds like a plan right.

< Message edited by rich -- 25/1/2013 10:08:58 PM >

Weekend write-ups

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 4
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 11:23:54 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys (Rich and UTB) but both your setups are not providing you with surround sound, they're just giving you stereo sound (the same standard audio you'd get if you just watched through your TVs).

When you use the red and white RCA cables, you're limiting yourself to analogue sound tracks rather than the digital surround sound tracks from the discs you are watching. The reason there is two cables in your setup is simply because you are wiring up two channels of audio, a right and a left speaker, where as with surround sound there are numerous channels one for each speaker and subwoofer. In most home cinema cases there should be 6 channels, front left, right and centre, rear left and right, and your subwoofer.

Any sound you guys are getting from your extra speakers and subwoofer are emulated, i.e. it's just sound copied from the left and right rather than directional sound/sound specifically intended for an individual speaker or speakers.

My advice would be to check as Paulyboy says if your DVD player has an optical or coaxial input port on the back and your Blu Ray player has a matching output, there's every chance that both could have the required optical port, coaxial less so.

You'll then need to go into the settings of your Blu Ray player/PS3 and ensure surround sound is switched on and is outputting via the optical port rather than via HDMI or any analogue means of output.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 25/1/2013 11:32:24 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 5
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 11:32:28 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys (Rich and UTB) but both your setups are not providing you with surround sound, they're just giving you stereo sound (the same standard audio you'd get if you just watched through your TVs).

No worries I thought that would be the case.

Still sounds awesome though

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 6
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 25/1/2013 11:44:30 PM   
rich

quote:

When you use the red and white RCA cables, you're limiting yourself to analogue sound tracks rather than the digital surround sound tracks from the discs you are watching. The reason there is two cables in your setup is simply because you are wiring up two channels of audio, a right and a left speaker

So how do they get away selling these types of quick cinema setups that have all the speakers if the sound isn't really 5.1? Bastards. To be honest I have never noticed it being simply stereo and its worked that way since the days of the old Rogue Squadron speaker test on my first and cheapest version of these things back in the day.

< Message edited by rich -- 25/1/2013 11:49:14 PM >

Weekend write-ups

Post #: 7
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 26/1/2013 12:02:31 AM   
UTB

quote:

When you use the red and white RCA cables, you're limiting yourself to analogue sound tracks rather than the digital surround sound tracks from the discs you are watching. The reason there is two cables in your setup is simply because you are wiring up two channels of audio, a right and a left speaker, where as with surround sound there are numerous channels one for each speaker and subwoofer. In most home cinema cases there should be 6 channels, front left, right and centre, rear left and right, and your subwoofer.

Here's a question then.. I have a 2.1 system (L/R and a woofer) - does that mean I'm still getting the best I would out of it?

Post #: 8
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 26/1/2013 1:20:41 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

quote:

When you use the red and white RCA cables, you're limiting yourself to analogue sound tracks rather than the digital surround sound tracks from the discs you are watching. The reason there is two cables in your setup is simply because you are wiring up two channels of audio, a right and a left speaker

So how do they get away selling these types of quick cinema setups that have all the speakers if the sound isn't really 5.1? Bastards. To be honest I have never noticed it being simply stereo and its worked that way since the days of the old Rogue Squadron speaker test on my first and cheapest version of these things back in the day.

It will have been surround sound for the built in DVD player, but for any connected source urns only going to be surround sound if it has the correct inputs, anything else such as your red and white RCA connections won't be surround sound. Just see if you've got an optical in port on the back of the player, if so you can connect it to your Blu ray player to get surround sound once again.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 9
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 26/1/2013 1:25:13 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Here's a question then.. I have a 2.1 system (L/R and a woofer) - does that mean I'm still getting the best I would out of it?

Sadly not as it is an RCA connection so there's nothing specific for your your subwoofer, where as if it was HDMI/Optical/Coaxial you'd get to use a digital sound track such as Dolby Digital or Pro-Logic which include specific subwoofer sounds. However if your TV speakers aren't up to much at least you'll have an improvement and the subwoofer will add some bass to any lower tones.

As I said to rick, just check if the DVD player has an optical input on the back, if it does you can buy a cheap optical cable and take advantage if the better soundtrack and audio quality by hooking up your Blu ray player this way.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 10
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 26/1/2013 9:45:03 AM   
UTB

Cheers - there is an optical input on the back of both so I'll hook that up :)

Post #: 11
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 27/1/2013 9:45:30 AM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Any sound you guys are getting from your extra speakers and subwoofer are emulated, i.e. it's just sound copied from the left and right rather than directional sound/sound specifically intended for an individual speaker or speakers.

That isn't necessarily entirely accurate.

When a Blu-ray (or DVD) player downmixes the multi-channel sound to 2 channel stereo it can usually encode extra surround information into those tracks. If a suitable decoder receives this information it can extract surround channels from the 2 tracks. The most common form would involve 4 channel surround matrixed into a 2 channel track; this was commonly used on video tapes under the trademark "Dolby Pro Logic". This was a domestic version of the "Dolby Stereo"system used in cinemas.

It gives a 4 channel surround sound: 3 front channels and 1 mono surround channel, which while not as good as a true discrete surround track is better than no surround at all. There are also more advanced forms of Pro Logic offering 5 or more channels from a 2 channel track.

Assuming your player adds this information to the 2 channel stereo (it may have to be switched on in the menu), and your DVD player/surround system can decode it you will be getting a form of surround sound, albeit a somewhat less precise version.

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

Further to SHP's excellent response, all speaker/subwoofer packages (in fact any speaker with more than one driver) will have a crossover. This is a filter which sends certain frequencies to the subwoofer and the rest to the speakers. It allows small speakers to provide a fuller, deeper sound than they could by themselves.

As a 2.1 system won't get the benefit of a full multi channel surround track the phono cables should be just fine. You might see an improvement if the DAC (digital to analogue converter) in the speaker system is better than the DAC in the player. But that will be an increase in fidelity rather than anything else and is in no way assured.

Post #: 12
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 27/1/2013 11:17:48 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Valid points Dpp, it's been a while since I was very much into the while A/V scene, so probably not as in depth a response as I should have given.

However it is worth noting that whilst what you say about the 2.1 setup is correct you would still be limited to an analogue signal and there's definitely an argument to be had that using a digital signal from an optical cable would provide you with a better audio experience.

(in reply to Dpp1978)
Post #: 13
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 27/1/2013 8:52:38 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: steelydan3

Guys, have spied a cheap Blu Ray player, and wondering if my current 5.1 system will work on it. My current system came along with the DVD player, and the speakers are all connected to the DVD player with wires inserted into the back of the DVD player. Will I be able to do this with the Blu Ray player, or will I require a new surround sound system. I'm unaware of what connections are round the back of a Blu Ray player (never looked at the back of one) and unaware of how to connect surround systems up-the current one was my first, and like I said, that attaches up simply to the DVD player. Please help, would like to be able to make the leap up to Blu Ray!

Besides all that, what bluray player? http://www.richersounds.com/ have often got good deals on, a friend got a Bluray all-in-one for 130 (LG one) and it's really good!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to steelydan3)
Post #: 14
RE: Blu Ray player inputs/outputs - 27/1/2013 9:21:04 PM   
Dpp1978

quote:

Valid points Dpp, it's been a while since I was very much into the while A/V scene, so probably not as in depth a response as I should have given.

However it is worth noting that whilst what you say about the 2.1 setup is correct you would still be limited to an analogue signal and there's definitely an argument to be had that using a digital signal from an optical cable would provide you with a better audio experience.

That depends entirely which component has the best DAC. If it is the player you're better off letting the player decode and using analogue cables. If it is the 2.1 system you might be better off sending a digital signal and decoding there.

Unless we are talking about mid range to high end gear I doubt the difference would be very noticeable.

Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Blu Ray player inputs/outputs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI