Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 12:00:59 PM   
Dannybohy

A n earlier comment I made today had be thinking!
How many of you only own part of a franchise? and because of this you didn't actually like all the movies and didn't feel the need to 'own the set'!??

Examples;

Godfather 1 and 2 only (maybe not that uncommon)
Back to the Future only
Jurassic Park only
Spider-man 1 and 2 only

No intention of ever buying the rest of sequels

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 25/1/2013 12:01:39 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess
Post #: 1
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 12:31:52 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

I only own the '84 Terminator, The Dark Knight Rises, Alien, Burton's Batman & Robocop.

There are probably others. IE - I think there was a Sleepaway Camp 4 but I don't own that.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 2
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 12:40:51 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SwozTheRevenge

I only own the '84 Terminator, The Dark Knight Rises, Alien, Burton's Batman & Robocop.

There are probably others. IE - I think there was a Sleepaway Camp 4 but I don't own that.

Really! no love for Terminator 2?. I always thought that was a rare case when the sequel was a better movie. I also only own Robocop, altough I own both Burton movies and Alien 1, 2 and 3. I think prefer Alien 3 to Alien 2

(in reply to SwozTheRevenge)
Post #: 3
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 12:46:58 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dannybohy

quote:

Really! no love for Terminator 2?. I always thought that was a rare case when the sequel was a better movie.

None whatsoever.
I used to enjoy it when I was far younger but it does very little for me now.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 4
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 12:48:23 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Really! no love for Terminator 2?. I always thought that was a rare case when the sequel was a better movie.

None whatsoever.
I used to enjoy it when I was far younger but it does very little for me now.

hmm I understand, I get the same thing when watching E.T !

Post #: 5
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:09:39 PM   
From_Hell

The Matrix
A Nightmare On Elm Street (and many of the other 80's slasher films which got worse and worse as they went on)
Pirates of The Caribbean

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 6
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:14:57 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

The Matrix
A Nightmare On Elm Street (and many of the other 80's slasher films which got worse and worse as they went on)
Pirates of The Caribbean

I like Elm Street 1 to 3, I like the first 3. especially Dream warriors, although that may just be nostalgia
I have no love for any of the Pirates movies, or Johnny Depp in general

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 25/1/2013 1:15:51 PM >

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 7
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:25:25 PM   
Timon

Surely everyone has this with all franchises. For example:

I have:

All the Bond films EXCEPT Diamonds are Forever, A View To A Kill and Die Another Day
All the Superman films EXCEPT Superman III and IV
All the Batman films EXCEPT Batman and Robin
All the Star Trek films EXCEPT Star Trek V

And it goes on and on....

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 8
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:29:59 PM   
SwozTheRevenge

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

The Matrix
Pirates of The Caribbean

I like Elm Street 1 to 3, I like the first 3. especially Dream warriors, although that may just be nostalgia

I think 1, 3 & New Nightmare are fantastic films.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 9
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:34:36 PM   
Vitamin F

Don't 'do' franchises at all, I always buy dvds based purely on how I like the individual films...the ones that immediately spring to mind:

Alien, Aliens, Alien 3
Indian Jones 1-3
Matrix
Terminator 1, 2 (although T2 never really gets a full viewing these days)
Robocop 1,2
Highlander

I've seen all the additional sequels to the above and decided no.

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 10
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:37:35 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

I've started to fall out of love for Aliens,mainly for the over-the-top macho mannerisms/talk and its character-ish characters.
I much prefer the original,which is a classic,and the Special Edition of Alien3.
Plus I never thought Alien was ever meant to be a franchise film.

The first Terminator is a classic while the second,though extremely enjoyable,miss's something which I cant really put my finger on.

Post #: 11
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:39:47 PM   
Super Hans

I'm at work so can't see my collection right now but off the top of my head...

Robocop - Only own the original. Never wanted to watch the third one, never had the inclination to buy the so-so second.

The Matrix - Only own the first. Never been too fussed about Reloaded, didn't even bother watching Revolutions.

Alien - Only got the first two, never seen 3 or 4.

Scream - Used to have 1 & 2 on video but have never bought them on DVD for some reason. My wife, oddly, owns the 3rd one on DVD. Always makes me chuckle because it's quite possibly the shittest! Don't see myself ever buying the 4th film - really didn't think it was up to much.

Terminator - Only have T2. Not sure why I don't have the first - I should watch it again but I think it was just the fact that T2 was the Terminator film of my time. Not too bothered about T3 as a whole and never wanted to see the last one.

Final Destination - My wife bought the first 3 as a boxset once, not sure the 4th & 5th are really worth buying.

Harry Potter - Think my wife has the first two, never got round to/been inclined to buy the rest.

Star Wars - Have the original trilogy boxset, only ever bought Episode 2 of the prequels (it was cheap once). Not sure if I'll ever get round to buying the other two.

Indianna Jones - Got the first 3 in a boxset, never got round to watching the 4th.

Gremlins - Have the first one only. Not sure why though as I actually really like the 2nd one! Must buy it!

Predator - To be honest, I only bought the first one in the last year or two. Never even seen the others.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Only have the first, never been bothered about watching the rest.

Probably others I've missed!

Up until the other week, I only ever owned Kill Bill Vol 1, never Vol 2... I think I was a bit disappointed with it at the time so never got round to buying it. With Django Unchained coming out though, my interest in Tarantino has been reignited so thought I'd buy it to give it another go!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 12
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:48:43 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Robocop - Only own the original. Never wanted to watch the third one, never had the inclination to buy the so-so second.

The Matrix - Only own the first. Never been too fussed about Reloaded, didn't even bother watching Revolutions.

Scream - Used to have 1 & 2 on video but have never bought them on DVD for some reason. My wife, oddly, owns the 3rd one on DVD. Always makes me chuckle because it's quite possibly the shittest! Don't see myself ever buying the 4th film - really didn't think it was up to much.

Terminator - Only have T2. Not sure why I don't have the first - I should watch it again but I think it was just the fact that T2 was the Terminator film of my time. Not too bothered about T3 as a whole and never wanted to see the last one.

Final Destination - My wife bought the first 3 as a boxset once, not sure the 4th & 5th are really worth buying.

Harry Potter - Think my wife has the first two, never got round to/been inclined to buy the rest.

Star Wars - Have the original trilogy boxset, only ever bought Episode 2 of the prequels (it was cheap once). Not sure if I'll ever get round to buying the other two.

Indianna Jones - Got the first 3 in a boxset, never got round to watching the 4th.

Gremlins - Have the first one only. Not sure why though as I actually really like the 2nd one! Must buy it!

Predator - To be honest, I only bought the first one in the last year or two. Never even seen the others.

Pirates of the Caribbean - Only have the first, never been bothered about watching the rest.

Up until the other week, I only ever owned Kill Bill Vol 1, never Vol 2... I think I was a bit disappointed with it at the time so never got round to buying it. With Django Unchained coming out though, my interest in Tarantino has been reignited so thought I'd buy it to give it another go!

You have never watched Alien3!. Give it a watch! great movie. don't bother with 4.
I have never bought the Starwars prequels either, dirty , dirty movies

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 13
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:50:01 PM   
Dannybohy

quote:

ORIGINAL: OPEN YOUR EYES

I've started to fall out of love for Aliens,mainly for the over-the-top macho mannerisms/talk and its character-ish characters.
I much prefer the original,which is a classic,and the Special Edition of Alien3.
Plus I never thought Alien was ever meant to be a franchise film.

The first Terminator is a classic while the second,though extremely enjoyable,miss's something which I cant really put my finger on.

Jesus!
I totally agree with you on the Aliens movie.

(in reply to OPEN YOUR EYES)
Post #: 14
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:54:31 PM   
MuckyMuckMan

I've never watched any of the Twilight saga, and probably never will.

My Film Collection:
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/MuckyMuckMan
Last 5 films seen
The Impossible 3.5/5
Stoker 4/5
Thor: Dark World 3.5/5
The Wolfman (1941) 4/5
All is Lost 5/5

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 15
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 1:58:50 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

You have never watched Alien3!. Give it a watch! great movie. don't bother with 4.
I have never bought the Starwars prequels either, dirty , dirty movies

I haven't! I probably should give it a go!

I think it's possibly because I'm generally not the biggest of sci-fi fans and the ones I'm likely to watch would mainly be the biggest/most mainstream/critcally acclamed ones - The Matrix, Star Wars for example.

In a weird way, I guess that has contributed to me only having seen the two biggest, most acclaimed films in the series, despite the Alien series being very popular and fairly mainstream...

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 16
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 4:04:09 PM   
Bloke from Oz

The James Bond films are a perfect example of this; I've picked out the 10 I enjoy the most and disregarded the others, 'cos let's face it, (soon-to-be) 23 films do tend to take up space!

Other franchises which I have collected "incompletely":

Rocky I, II, III
First 3 POTC films
TCoN: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe and Prince Caspian
American Ninja 1 & 2
Beverly Hills Cop I & II

Originals:

Robocop
Men in Black
Dirty Harry

Stand-alone installments:

Die Hard 4.0
Fast Five
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Johnny English Reborn
Little Fockers
Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol
Ocean's Thirteen
Rambo III
Superman Returns
X-Men: The Last Stand

< Message edited by Bloke from Oz -- 28/1/2013 1:40:22 AM >

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 17
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 6:46:46 PM   
UTB

I only own The Matrix. As far as I'm concerned the story ended there. I think what put me off the sequels was the announcement of them filming back to back, which might be an economic decision but is pretty arrogant and always irritates me even now.

How about you make 1 sequel and see how that goes, eh? Rather than serving us half a concluded story.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 18
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 25/1/2013 9:44:21 PM   
Juice Terry

I have Die Hard, and Die Hard With a Vengeance. The other two Die Hard films are ok, but not worth buying as I doubt I'll ever watch them again.

Better call Saul

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 19
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 8:54:31 AM   
vader100

My OCD prevents this for me. If I like one film in the series and buy it I have to get the others no matter how shit. It looks wrong on the shelf.That's why I have Friday 13th VIII

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to Juice Terry)
Post #: 20
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 9:14:17 AM   
SwozTheRevenge

Pff, masterpiece. Jason punches someone's head off.

@ChairmanBLAOW

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 21
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 11:33:25 AM   
Cool Breeze

I own Mission Impossible 3 and 4 but not the first 2.

I own the Dark Knight trilogy but not any of the other Batman films.

I own the first 20 Bond films.None of the Craig ones.

I own the four Christopher Reeve films but not Returns ( still trying to forget that film ever happened ).

I own all the X Men films except First Class.

< Message edited by Cool Breeze -- 26/1/2013 12:15:06 PM >

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 22
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 11:48:19 AM   
Rgirvan44

Starship Troopers 1 and 3

Uni Sol 3 -none of the others.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 23
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 12:41:22 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

I only own The Matrix. As far as I'm concerned the story ended there. I think what put me off the sequels was the announcement of them filming back to back, which might be an economic decision but is pretty arrogant and always irritates me even now.

How about you make 1 sequel and see how that goes, eh? Rather than serving us half a concluded story.

I don't really see the problem there - the second part of the sequel came pretty soon after the first. Not that I agree with back to back sequels anyway (for creative reasons - one film always suffers to some extent).

EDIT: To answer the OP - I only own X-Men 2 (the first one just feels like a trailer for this masterpiece) and Mission: Impossible 3 out of those franchises. Seen the DePalma and Woo M:I instalments far too many times on TV!

< Message edited by Darth Marenghi -- 26/1/2013 12:46:03 PM >

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 24
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 12:47:23 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

Original: Cool Breeze

I own the four Christopher Reeve films but not Returns ( still trying to forget that film ever happened )

Then stop droning on about it

Star Trek; all films except 5.
Rambo all but number 4
Terminator Don't have Salvation -I don't dislike it - just never got round to buying it
POTC First one only - hated no 2 and never saw 3 or 4
Bond - I have all the "official" ones and the 60's Casino Royale but not Never Say Never Again (if we're counting them)
Planet of the Apes The Orignal and Rise only.

There's probably more examples

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 26/1/2013 12:49:31 PM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 25
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 1:42:56 PM   
Scott_

If I have one film in a series then I normally buy the others. I don't have all the X-Men films though...Just X2 and First Class, I did get Wolverine given to me but didn't keep it...neither of us wanted it violating shelf space.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Rambo all but number 4

But 4 is awesome, better than 2 & 3.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 26
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 3:01:06 PM   
Whistler

First Class is the only X-Men film I've really enjoyed.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 27
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 3:08:33 PM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

If I have one film in a series then I normally buy the others. I don't have all the X-Men films though...Just X2 and First Class, I did get Wolverine given to me but didn't keep it...neither of us wanted it violating shelf space.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scruffybobby

Rambo all but number 4

But 4 is awesome, better than 2 & 3.

I just found it a boring willfully miserable slog of a film that had absolutely nothing about it I liked. And I'm usually pretty forgiving - there's even bits in Transformers 3 I didn't hate.

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 28
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 26/1/2013 3:32:44 PM   
AngryDude92

I own the first 3 Hellraiser films, boxset, and number 5. I didn't care for 4 and th other 3 or four don't seem worth my cash.
Similar with Elm Street, I own 1 and 7. I don't care for the other 5.

There was once a god who walked the earth, his name was Warren Oates

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 29
RE: Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! - 27/1/2013 5:19:15 PM   
Fit Kisto

Ginger Snaps I - II Part III wasn't too bad in its own right, but it didn't fit in continuity with the first two parts.
Superman I - II
First film only for Die Hard, Terminator (T2 is always on tv) Pitch Black and The Matrix

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to AngryDude92)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Movie franchises you didn't buy into 100%, literally! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI