Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 30/1/2013 7:48:58 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: mclane1

Hey everybody, lets at least offer some comment that doesn't involve horses, kiddy fiddling and man love.

The problem for me with your post 'missmegleigh' is that you assume that everybody has a favourite HP movie and therefore they must be good movies because you, or some weird lecturer thinks so. Do you really like them? why out of interest?

Would be best to ask people's general thoughts around the HP movies, what works, why are they so popular etc.

Given the hero is just a posh kid with a wand ,my personal view is its not the coolest franchise in the world.

I suspect, although i may well be wrong, the films popularity are more born out of the need for adults to embrace the franchise because if you like HP you must be well brought up and have a warm loving family plus its a safe watch and your kids will get into magic, the country side and light petting as opposed to glue sniffing, hoodies and underage pregnancy. I find it hard to believe many streetwise kids actually like it.

I'm not saying there aren't genuine fans, but my opinion is the HP books and movies owe the majority of their popularity to social class pressure and the conformity of the masses.

I have seen all the films and would say they rate at best from poor to good (good being the last instalment and purely because it had the most action and drama)

HP definitely middle/upper class appeal and there may well be those who "like" because it's the done thing but if you look at it from the other angle I'm sure there are a load of "streetwise kids" who dislike it because they is, like, well, too cool.

Back to the Kiddy fiddling and man love now please

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to mclane1)
Post #: 31
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 11/2/2013 6:03:52 PM   
Lisamoviegeek

I think the sixth film is the best. I haven't read the books though.

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 32
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 11/2/2013 11:40:58 PM   
Dave Oz

At the time (and quite a few years thereafter) I thought PoA was the best movie. Now, I reckon 'Chamber of Secrets' has a certain charm to it that has grown on me.

< Message edited by Dave Oz -- 11/2/2013 11:44:25 PM >

(in reply to Lisamoviegeek)
Post #: 33
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 12/2/2013 2:12:49 AM   
england_cmr

I would rate them as follows:

PS - 3/5
COS - 3/5
POA - 5/5
GOF - 4/5
OTTP - 4/5
HBP - 4/5
DHP1 - 5/5
DHP2 - 4/5

I literally cannot choose between Prisoner of Azkaban and Deathly Hallows Part 1! So they're my joint first. I really wasn't a fan of the first two. They bore me quite a bit when I rewatch them now. They are so different to the others, they are infinitley more childish. I think it's really interesting to note that books wise, the ratings are so different. I adore the first two books, am a moderate fan of the last one, and POA is very middle-of-the-road Potter for me. (I still love them all though)

1) Inception
2) Wall - E
3) Beetlejuice
4) Big Fish
5) Terminator 2: Judgement Day
6) Spirited Away
666) Battleship

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 34
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 12/2/2013 9:55:03 AM   
V.E.N.O.M

PS and CoS definitely used to be my favourites, they matched the books perfectly and Columbus really brought that charm to screen.

I used to detest PoA, but after watching it again for the first time in over a year I love it much more than any other. Although it didn't 'match' the book to me, I thought they had done it better. The soundtrack was also second to none!

GoF, OotP, HBP and DH2 were all a bit actiony and felt VERY different to the first 3 films, again, similar to the books. Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince did have some nice lighthearted parts too.

I have no opinion on DH1, I'm not sure what to make of it... Will watch it again tonight though!

Everything's coming up Milhouse!

(in reply to england_cmr)
Post #: 35
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 12/2/2013 10:44:05 AM   
Bloke from Oz

For me it's The Deathly Hallows Part 2 - wrapped up everything perfectly.

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1342/jamesbondsia6.jpg

(in reply to V.E.N.O.M)
Post #: 36
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 12/2/2013 1:24:37 PM   
Dave Oz

The biggest disappointment for me as the Potter films progressed was how the acting from the main trio just wasn't improving as much as I hoped it would. The first two (maybe three) movies I was thinking "They're kids. They'll get better. At least they aren't terrible" but when GoF came around it became clear that, acting-wise, PoA was as good as it was going to get.

(in reply to Bloke from Oz)
Post #: 37
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 13/2/2013 1:52:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

Not a fan of the franchise really but I would say 3 is the best, the only one for me that had something of a genuine magical atmosphere. I've not read the books, but going by the films they could have told the story in at least two less films!

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Dave Oz)
Post #: 38
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 13/2/2013 1:57:36 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Agreed, POA is by far the best Potter movie and one that works very well as a film in its own right

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 39
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 13/2/2013 2:44:23 PM   
Cool Breeze

Havnt seen any of them really.Saw bits of pieces of one on christmas day on the telly but couldnt tell which one it was.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 40
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 13/2/2013 2:57:34 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

Havnt seen any of them really.Saw bits of pieces of one on christmas day on the telly but couldnt tell which one it was.

And yet you called the franchise "kiddie fare" in a pejorative manner a couple of weeks back. Interesting.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 13/2/2013 3:00:06 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 41
RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie - 14/2/2013 1:02:05 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

And yet you called the franchise "kiddie fare" in a pejorative manner a couple of weeks back. Interesting.

I think you are mistaking him with a entirely seperate forumite with a similar, if not identical posting style. And what i'm sure the other guy meant was that they looked like kiddie fare from a distance, though don't know why I am justifying him when I am clearly not the same guy honest etc etc

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 42
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> RE: Favourite Harry Potter Movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI