Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 20/1/2013 10:45:49 PM   
rawlinson

Re-starting these yearly countdowns, with this one expanded to 65 to take in a few extra titles. I think Elab is planning on restricting her list to cinema, but I'll be including film, music, radio, television and literature in mine.

Elab's Top 65 for 2007

65. United Red Army (Wakamatsu, 2007, Japan)
64. Hvid Nat (Johansen, 2007, Denmark)/With Your Permission (Steen, 2007, Denmark)
63. Michael Clayton (Gilroy, 2007, US)
62. Please Vote For Me (Chen, 2007, China)
61. Kisaragi (Satao, 2007, Japan)

60. Crows Zero (Miike, 2007, Japan)
59. The Foreign Duck, The Native Duck and God in a Coin Locker (Nakamura, 2007, Japan)
58 A Country Doctor/Man and Whale (Yamamura, 2007, Japan)

< Message edited by elab49 -- 5/2/2013 11:00:40 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 8:47:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I hope to see At World's End feature highly on both lists

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 2
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 8:59:24 AM   
elab49

Isn't it this year that's out.

I shall be mainly cinema with the odd TV movie/play (a couple of which had theatrical releases anyway) - same as the single play inclusion for 1977. And also because I haven't got a clue what books and songs came out in 2007!

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 12:36:21 PM   
rawlinson

65. Masques of Satan

by Reggie Oliver
Short Story Collection

Actor and theatre director Reggie Oliver brings his love of the stage to this collection of macabre tales, setting many of the stories in the world of actors and the theatrical. Mixing the feel of the traditional ghost story with a sharp wit, Oliver has established himself as one of the great, all too often overlooked, modern horror masters. The modern and the traditional collide in many of his tales, like the excellent 'The Children of Monte Rosa'. Oliver creates richly drawn characters and brings a sense of authenticity to his settings. The writer's off-kilter sense of humour shines through in many of the stories, bringing a dark sense of hunour to his thoroughly weird tales. My personal favourite is Grab a Granny Night, the story of a virginal wannabe actor stuck in the hell of summer rep at a Welsh holiday camp.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 3:03:56 PM   
elab49

I am thinking there might be relatively little crossover for this list  Sounds very interesting though.

My list will vary a bit - some of them might be partly successful and in for that reason (the first one being an example). One will receive laughing derision from, certainly, Rawlinson. Some alleged certs will not be there (I'd apologise but anyone who knows my posts will certainly know what a couple of them are). I will cheat a couple of times by combining entries and probably in other ways as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 5
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 3:27:48 PM   
elab49

United Red Army (Wakamatsu, 2007, Japan)

Wakamatsu Koji died late last year in a traffic accident. I don't know much of his work partly because, for a long time, his output was mainly entries (oo err missus) in the pinko genre. I probably first heard of the name in conjunction with Oshima Nagisa (he produced, eg, In the Realm of the Senses).

United Red Army is not entirely successful docudrama. Sections seem to run together with multiple new people being added, quickly introduced then disappearing again at speed as the expositional voiceover can't keep up with the factionalisation of the warring students. But the vividness of the rest is, at times, both terrifying and astonishing.

The film tells the story of the left-wing student movements in Japan starting with university protests in the mid-60s through to a famous siege in 1972 (although the timeline flows through to almost the present). The frightening parts are those that you think are too extreme to be true and yet, for the most part, the evidence suggests that they are. The strongest segments are the long localised scenes – the training camp where we learn how self-criticism and cult mindsets have dominated the group-think and the concluding set-piece at the end of the line where the committed and cash-strapped director destroyed his own house to achieve authenticity. His long connection to that side of politics also saw him make a Red Army documentary back in the 70s and this was seen as a rebuttal to an earlier pro-police Japanese film of the final incident.

In a way this reminds me of Watkins's La Commune. Although his work was more successfully coherent they both show an ambition and folly that has you sitting in front of the screen for hours.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 3:52:17 PM   
rawlinson

I bet you're a secret fan of his early work.

quote:

I am thinking there might be relatively little crossover for this list Sounds very interesting though.

The print copy was Ash Tree Press, which meant it was expensive. Luckily they've started putting all their expensive oop stuff out on Kindle for a couple of quid a shot.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 3:55:33 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I hope not to see At World's End on this list. That movie is worse than being forced to wank off a tramp at gunpoint and I was wrong to ever like it.

Finally!

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 8
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 21/1/2013 10:21:51 PM   
elab49

Hvid Nat (Johansen, 2007, Denmark)/With Your Permission (Steen, 2007, Denmark).

Cheat number 1. But a double bill of Anders Thomas Jensen films in the same year starring the same actor in two very different characters with someone similar problems - it's fair. Surely?

Hvid Nat tells the tale of a cold, cynical man and the impact on his life of a tragic accident. As his personality gradually crumbles we get clues to what created the facade in the first place. With Your Permission is more of an oddity - a hidebound jobsworth with an overly dramatic wife who hits him a lot is told by his boss to go to a class but ends up in with the wifebeaters - a pair of comic foils who love their mums but don't quite get the rest of womankind. The desperation to keep his facade nearly leads to murder, but the failure of the that act lays the background for the weird little life the couple are living bare, giving a different skew on his claustrophobic worldview.

Both films feature fine lead performances from Lars Brygmann. You could almost feel that some of the lines might have been written with Mads Mikkelsen in mind (particularly in With Your Permission where Jan is almost like a non-violent Arne in Flickering Lights, taking inflexibility to extremes). Soren Pilsmark is fun in support (and nearly made it onto the list with his own lead - How to Get Rid of the Others, a Danish black comedy on immigration with Pilsmark giving one of my favourite performances for the year) along with Borgen's Sisde Babett Knudsen. The low placing reflects similar soft endings (something Jensen tends to but his writing no less impressive for them).

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 9
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 22/1/2013 2:26:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

I hope not to see At World's End on this list. That movie is worse than being forced to wank off a tramp at gunpoint and I was wrong to ever like it.

Finally!

Seen none in here so far.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 10
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 22/1/2013 4:18:54 PM   
ElephantBoy

2007 was a pretty damn good year, look forward to seeing this list. Not seen any so far, but most of them seem worth a look.

Post #: 11
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 22/1/2013 5:01:48 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Hvid Nat (Johansen, 2007, Denmark)/With Your Permission (Steen, 2007, Denmark).

Cheat number 1. But a double bill of Anders Thomas Jensen films in the same year starring the same actor in two very different characters with someone similar problems - it's fair. Surely?

I'll try and check these out, I've liked/loved most of what I have seen from Jensen as both writer and director.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 22/1/2013 5:10:19 PM   
rawlinson

Elab, you big cheat.

And I think we'll have maybe five things crossover between lists.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 13
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 22/1/2013 11:11:37 PM   
elab49

Michael Clayton (Gilroy, 2007, US)

Michael Clayton falls just outside my top 10 US films for this year.  An almost old-fashioned drama, (and in that it just pipped  Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead from this list – some great moments but parts ranked it lower) with kind of a 70s feel a solid well-told story with some excellent performances.  It seems to have propelled Tilda Swinton to international stardom in a way that other roles – eg one of the few watchable things in Narnia and, even more deservingly, the superb The Deep End – didn’t, and that’s too everyone’s benefit. Playing a character out of their depth with the power they have and working hard to keep it she’s a powerful presence on screen and a deserving Oscar winner. Clooney is equally so – the slickness under-mined by a world weariness and edge of desperation, and anger at being ignored or used. Compare the smooth face he presents as the fixer in Westchester to that after he drops the front in the taxi at the end – very impressive.

Tony Gilroy manages produces a well-constructed story here which is why subsequent work is so disappointing. Duplicity was a mess that is worth watching only for that truly fabulous opening sequence, one of my favourite moments in film that year.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 14
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 6:16:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

One I've seen. I like it quite a bit.

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 15
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 5:17:37 PM   
elab49

Please Vote for Me (Chen Weijun, China, 2007)

Shown over here under the BBC Storyville strand, Please Vote for Me made the Oscar documentary longlist and is available on US Netflix (or youtube!). It's only about an hour long.

The director follows a group of 3rd graders in Chinese Primary School as the class decide on the election of a new class monitor. The three 8yo candidates are chosen by the teacher but then campaign for the votes via a talent contest, a debate, a final speech and lots of in-class argument.

This is a fascinating film although it is apparently a little disingenuous - class monitors are voted for but not a full campaign. And you do on occasion wonder at the fortune of the director coming across some of the scenes (unless he always filmed the kids in the toilet but only used one scene!) - the children also use the filmmakers and seem relatively comfortable with them there. What you do realise very quickly is the involvement of the parents with each of the three candidates in a way that would be quite unusual over here but fits perfectly with the portrayal of family dynamics in films from the region. The parents of the existing class monitor are with the police and advocate bribery (and the son's main fault is hitting people). The parents of the main challenger are professionals, the mother in TV - they are all about presentation and the son is a good talker but a bit of a drama queen (and for some reason strips to his pants at home and needs his bottom wiped, still - indulgence of only sons taken to an extreme). The final challenger is a quite shy little girl whose mother works in the school and is raising her alone. All three parents push the children hard, write the speeches and make them practice over and over again and have no qualms about doing this on camera.

Overall they pin down democracy as corrupt and easily bought - but is that just China or matching the West? The film seems to be making a meal of the fact that the children stick to a known quantity, repeatedly referred to as a dictator and who bullies some of them. I'd guess the bribes meant more though - and if the parents of the candidates are so involved with their children, wouldn't the parents of the other children be suggesting that it might well be best for their kids to vote for the son of the police chief too?...

quote:

Post #: 16
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 5:57:21 PM   
SadFace

Really enjoyed Michael Clayton. The scene at the end with (SORT-OF SPOILERS) Clooney vs. Swinton totally convinced me that she was deserving of the Oscar, although Amy Ryan was just as worthy.

< Message edited by SadFace -- 23/1/2013 6:13:51 PM >

Tobias, you blowhard.

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

That's the most wrong I've ever seen someone be on this forum. And both Gimli and Elab post here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 17
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 6:13:38 PM   
rawlinson

I'm really falling behind on this. I blame the literature poll.

(in reply to SadFace)
Post #: 18
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 6:28:14 PM   
elab49

I'm going to have a lull soon so I thought I'd feel a bit better if I did more a bit earlier if I could 

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 19
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 7:51:54 PM   
matty_b

I thought Michael Clayton was a little meh overall, though Clooney and Swinton were both good. Amy Ryan for the Oscar, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 20
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 8:02:11 PM   
Rhubarb

In what I thought was quite a strong year in Oscar-terms (I know not everyone agrees with me here) I thought Clayton was a bit of a disapointing step down from the other Best Picture nominations to be honest. It was kind of fine but I remember feeling it was comfortably the least good of the five. But I don't really remember very much about it now.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 21
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 23/1/2013 8:03:07 PM   
elab49

I've come to appreciate Swinton's performance more over time - but I'd have been just as happy to see Ryan awarded. 

quote:

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 22
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 7:53:36 PM   
ElephantBoy

Like Clayton overall, problely is one of Clooney's best performances and the supporting cast are strong too, but wasn't so keen on it second time around for some reason.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 9:43:41 PM   
rawlinson

64. Hut 33 Series 01

Radio Series

Radio comedy series set in the code-breaking huts in WWII era Bletchley Park. The series is largely dominated by the antagonism between working class Geordie code-breaker, Archie (Tom Goodman-Hill) and privileged Oxford Don, Charles (Robert Bathurst), who once rejected Archie from university for not knowing how to use a fish-knife. The third man in the hut is teen prodigy Gordon (Fergus Craig) a young man with a genius IQ but who remains naive and sheltered from the outside world. In this series there's also a silent fourth code-breaker, Winstanley, but the writers quickly realised he added nothing to the show. Stealing the series away from everyone however are Alex MacQueen as Joshua Fanshawe-Marshall, a man so stupid he thinks The Wizard of Oz is a newsreel warning of deadly new Nazi weaponry and Olivia Colman as Minka, a deadly member of the Polish resistance who enjoys nothing more than killing Nazis and indulging in bizarre bouts of xenophobia.

It's obviously aiming for a Blackadder vibe, but with none of the characters here displaying the same level of devious intelligence as that classic creation. It's probably fair to say the show improved over time, but you have to allow time for a series to find its feet, and this first series is still funnier than the majority of radio or television comedy from the last few years. It's screaming out for a t.v. adaptation.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 24
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 9:57:49 PM   
elab49

I didn't really take to Hut 33 at first. It was really S3 (owl coat) before I really really enjoyed it. and it made S1 all the better so I agree on the feet finding. But when you take to the characters even the earlier stuff can start to work. Excellent choice.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 25
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 10:21:26 PM   
rawlinson

I think series one has one of the very best episodes as well (the one where Charles runs for leadership of the Communist society)

Btw, hypothetical mod question, if I call three different people clueless wankers will that count as one OW or three?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 26
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 10:22:24 PM   
impqueen

I did enjoy Hut 33 but Series 3 was by far the best, though Minka was always superb.

Yes, always.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 27
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 10:26:58 PM   
rawlinson

Josh is still probably my favourite character though. The episode where he's decided to have a cover story of being a cat is just genius.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 28
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 10:30:07 PM   
elab49

I'd say Minka too.

If it's one outburst. it'd probably be one.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 29
RE: Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 - 24/1/2013 10:34:08 PM   
rawlinson

Ok good.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> Rawlinson & Elab's Top 65s of 2007 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI