Crafting!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Crafting! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Crafting! - 19/1/2013 10:11:52 PM   
steffols

I started cross stitching in July last year. I was getting bored with constantly looking at the laptop during my evenings, so I put it down, went to Hobbycraft and have never looked back!

I finished my first piece which was more a practice run as it was my very first go before the new year. There was a lot of mistakes and the back was very untidy and horrible looking. My second piece is currently in progress and has so far been much more successful! I'm currently working on the half stitching of the grass in the picture. It's a bit fiddly but once thats done I can work on the backstitching which I'm a bit nervous about as I've never done that. I think a few practice runs may be needed. I want to give this one as a gift to my best friend for her birthday so I hope I don't ruin it! Hopefully, shall have it done by the end of the month, so I shall pop up a picture.

So, does anyone else do any crafting of any kind? Knitting, crocheting or anything else? Do you have pictures to inspire? Do you have any tips for beginners (of cross stitch! )?

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.
Post #: 1
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 6:06:06 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: steffols
Do you have any tips for beginners (of cross stitch! )?

Main tip is don't work in blocks. The charts are usually divided into 10x10 stitches and on really fiddly designs that don't have expanses of the same colour it's very tempting to just work it one 10x10 block at a time, but come the end you can sometimes see that this was how it was done, especially on larger designs that take a while to do.

And if you can help it, never, ever make a mistake that requires you to unpick some stitches. It's an absolute bugger to do and you'll really be able to tell afterwards. I learnt that the hard way

Don't worry too much about backstitching. It's one of the easiest parts to do. Just don't pucker the design by pulling the thread the too tight.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 2
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 10:31:09 AM   
steffols

Thanks Gimli! Unfortunately I have made the mistake where it requires unpicking and it is an absolute bastard. Now when I stitch, I make sure about 4 times I've counted correctly and then check over and over again that I've counted it correctly as I stitch. I had to unpick some stitches the other day as I did a row of stitches too early, but it was only half stitches (the piece I'm working on requires one half of a whole cross for a half stitch which makes it easier) so it wasn't too much of a hassle.

It never even occurred to me to work in blocks! I tend to do the most of one colour I can before going on to another that connects to it and that works pretty well for me. I can only imagine working in the blocks getting incredibly confusing! Thanks for your help, no doubt I'll be pestering you when it comes to the backstitching!

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 11:23:34 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

It never even occurred to me to work in blocks! I tend to do the most of one colour I can before going on to another that connects to it and that works pretty well for me. I can only imagine working in the blocks getting incredibly confusing!

I only ever did it the once simply because it was so much easier at the time. Absolutely no two stitches of the same colour near each other for about half the chart. It was one of the first ones I did so I just went for the easiest option. But I really like those intricate ones now, a lot of fun to do.

What's the design you're doing?

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 4
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 12:25:53 PM   
steffols

Its this

A character called Gorjuss by a Scottish designer. I picked it up in John Lewis just before Christmas. Having a look online though, they are a bit cheaper than what I paid.

This company have designed a few kits with her as the centerpiece

http://www.bothythreads.com/cross-stitch-gorjuss-c-77_109.html

I would love to do them all, they are so beautiful. Are you working on anything at the minute?

< Message edited by steffols -- 20/1/2013 12:26:24 PM >

Post #: 5
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 1:13:43 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Very nice!

It's always good to look online for new kits. Ebay will almost always have what you want for quite a bit cheaper than stores sell them.

Working on this at the moment

Taking me longer than normal. Christmas kind of slowed me down.

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 6
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 1:49:55 PM   
steffols

Oh my god thats gorgeous! Looks like you need a lot of patience! I think I have a while to go yet before I reach that level of expertise. I have a small hand mirror kit which is black aida 16 count. I got it for my birthday from my fiances parents but it is the most fiddly thing. The black makes it almost impossible to see where you are putting the needle. The colours are gorgeous and it isn't a big piece, just big enough to fit into the hand mirror, but the patience it takes brings me close to tears!

I've also taken to sitting at the table rather than on the sofa to do it. I find I concentrate more, and I use my booklight to see better with which I attach to my sewing box. I also kinda like sitting with my sewing box in front of me cause it's so gorgeous.

< Message edited by steffols -- 20/1/2013 1:51:30 PM >

Post #: 7
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 2:46:30 PM   
Rebenectomy

I remember doing a bit of cross stitching in school, but haven't done anything in years. I'm not a bad sewer though and have made several attempts at making clothes over the years, I just don't seem to have the staying power. However, this year I'm getting a friend of mine to teach me crochet. She's a great knitter, and makes lovely blankets (she's also a yarn bomber, this is her tumblr). Like Stef, I'm looking for something a bit more constructive to do in the evenings. Most TV bores me rigid these days, and I'm having trouble concentrating on reading and writing at the moment, but I need something to keep me from going crazy in the evenings.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 8
RE: Crafting! - 20/1/2013 5:49:21 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Oh my god thats gorgeous! Looks like you need a lot of patience! I think I have a while to go yet before I reach that level of expertise. I have a small hand mirror kit which is black aida 16 count. I got it for my birthday from my fiances parents but it is the most fiddly thing. The black makes it almost impossible to see where you are putting the needle. The colours are gorgeous and it isn't a big piece, just big enough to fit into the hand mirror, but the patience it takes brings me close to tears!

It won't take long before you feel able to do bigger projects as long as you don't mind the fact they;ll take a while to finish. Just don't rush 'em! I agree about black aida, a right pain. Try to have a light source from behind the aida if possible, failing that just a piece of white paper so you can see the holes more clearly.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

(she's also a yarn bomber, this is her tumblr).

I've seen things like that near me. I couldn't figure out why a tree had a scarf first time I saw it. I guess now I know

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 9
RE: Crafting! - 24/1/2013 10:30:16 PM   
steffols

Yarn bombing looks wonderful! I don't know how keen I would be to leave a piece of work I've worked really hard on just attached to a tree for people to rip off though. Would break my heart.

I've happened upon a selection of TS Lowry cross stitch kits for under 20 on Amazon. Need to set up my next project as my current one is coming to an end very soon. And I get paid tomorrow

Post #: 10
RE: Crafting! - 30/1/2013 10:25:09 AM   
Fanboyslayer

We have the Ninja Knitters around here. They're fab and really brighten up the place. I like to knit myself. Still somewhat of a beginner really but getting there. Mostly knitting stuff for babies and kids because it's easier and cheaper as you don't need so much wool. Got a lovely book of vintage knits though that I'm going to work up to I hope. I know what you mean about being plonked in front of the TV with nothing to do, it's nice to feel that you're doing something productive while you sat on your butt

Just to spare peoples blushes I feel it's only right that I should point out I'm a girl people! Not in a Crying Game way in the born without a willy way. I hope that's cleared that up.

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 11
RE: Crafting! - 13/3/2013 12:39:47 PM   
Rebenectomy

Finally got my arse in gear, stopped moping in front of the TV in the evenings and started a couple of craft projects. So far I'm starting off easy, making some cushions and covers from scratch and I'll post a few pics when done. But I also got stuck into this earlier in the week, and I'm really quite proud of it (apologies to anyone friends with me on Facebook, I'm sure I've already bored you with it on there). I work in a shop, and we get these promo stands every few weeks for various products. They are designed for short term offers and as a result are usually binned afterwards, so I brought one home and converted it into a shelving unit for my son's room. I used wallpaper on this occasion, but you can paint, applique/sticker or even cover in fabric. They are pretty sturdy, certainly enough to hold toys, linens, shoes, even paperbacks, and as they are pretty lightweight they can be moved and transported easily, not to mention updated when the offspring changes his/her tastes.

(in reply to Fanboyslayer)
Post #: 12
RE: Crafting! - 13/3/2013 9:54:18 PM   
rich

http://yokai-parade.deviantart.com/

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 13
RE: Crafting! - 22/3/2013 11:12:28 PM   
SWOTBM

999 more to go...

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 14
RE: Crafting! - 22/3/2013 11:17:26 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rebenectomy

Finally got my arse in gear, stopped moping in front of the TV in the evenings and started a couple of craft projects. So far I'm starting off easy, making some cushions and covers from scratch and I'll post a few pics when done. But I also got stuck into this earlier in the week, and I'm really quite proud of it (apologies to anyone friends with me on Facebook, I'm sure I've already bored you with it on there). I work in a shop, and we get these promo stands every few weeks for various products. They are designed for short term offers and as a result are usually binned afterwards, so I brought one home and converted it into a shelving unit for my son's room. I used wallpaper on this occasion, but you can paint, applique/sticker or even cover in fabric. They are pretty sturdy, certainly enough to hold toys, linens, shoes, even paperbacks, and as they are pretty lightweight they can be moved and transported easily, not to mention updated when the offspring changes his/her tastes.

These are very cool - I like the easy to recycle aspect of them as well.

Why 1000 Swotbm? The paper is lovely.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 15
RE: Crafting! - 22/3/2013 11:22:01 PM   
SWOTBM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes

I was only semi-serious- 1000 would take a long time

But you're right about the paper. It is gorgeous, plus it is a dream to fold. That sounds really weird, but once you start origami you'll understand

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Crafting! - 24/3/2013 12:15:54 PM   
SWOTBM

Not particularly impressed with this one; some of the folds were out and that meant that the underside of the paper is visible on the left arm and the right leg.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 17
RE: Crafting! - 27/3/2013 2:27:35 PM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thousand_origami_cranes

I was only semi-serious- 1000 would take a long time

I love that idea, so frickin tempted to give it a go, would make an amazing ceiling cover if done properly.

Here's my latest creation, a hand sewn cushion and cover, complete with zip. It is seriously cozy.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 18
RE: Crafting! - 23/4/2013 1:52:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

How's the cross stitch coming along, steffols?

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 19
RE: Crafting! - 23/4/2013 9:20:00 PM   
steffols

Funny you ask Gimli! I finished the one I was doing for my best friend,

Sorry its a bit big!

I've also just last night finished a small cross stitch design that goes on the back of a hand mirror which my other halfs mum gave me for my birthday. I'll put a picture tomorrow What do you think of my IT Crowd?

Post #: 20
RE: Crafting! - 23/4/2013 9:33:53 PM   
Scott_

That's awesome. I want one.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 21
RE: Crafting! - 24/4/2013 5:29:55 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I'd probably appreciate the design more if I'd ever seen The IT Crowd but that's really good!

Much more better!

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 22
RE: Crafting! - 18/6/2013 1:09:18 AM   
SWOTBM

So, this thread died a death I've been experimenting with some more challenging models. Apologies in advance for the quality.

And my personal favourite:

Post #: 23
RE: Crafting! - 18/6/2013 7:02:56 AM   
sanchia

I struggle with a petal fold never mind all those.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Crafting! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI