Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 19/1/2013 7:33:50 PM   
giggity

Me and my mate want to go see Louis CK at the O2 arena but I have a lot of work on and the only way I could see him is if I could get back to Leicester that same night. The final train leaves at 11:15pm so we would need to leave the gig by about 10:30pm. Now I don't know when stand up gigs usually end and I wouldnt wanna travel all that way and pay that money to see him, only to not see the whole show so I wanted to ask when do big stand up comedy gigs usually finish?
Post #: 1
RE: What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 19/1/2013 7:41:19 PM   
elab49

I don't think there is a 'usual' - depends on the routine.

But if you do a search for the comedian you'll probably find a forum and people talking about other gigs on the tour - that should give you exactly what you need

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 19/1/2013 8:23:28 PM   
rawlinson

Given that it's Louis, it might be worth contacting his site to see if they have an idea. His most recent releases generally clock in at the hour mark, but live comedy can be unpredictable with timing (unless the venue is really strict) and you also have to factor in that he may have a warm-up act, etc.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3
RE: What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 21/1/2013 1:23:06 PM   
great_badir

Venue curfews are usually the best thing to go by, as most acts aim to finish as close to the curfew time as possible. Best thing to do is contact O2 first to find out what their chucking out time is and take it from there. 10.30 is usually the curfew for major inner city venues, but I'm not sure how the O2 is located precisely so I couldn't be sure on that front.

Slightly off topic, but this:
quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
His most recent releases generally clock in at the hour mark

I don't mind Louis, but this saddens me if true, especially at the prices that will no doubt be charged for the O2 (unless he's sorted a Prince-style special pricing).

I'm seeing more and more major acts do stupidly short shows in recent years, with the worst one (not that I actually saw it, or wanted to see it) being one of Ricky Gervais' shows which lasted for 50 minutes, with no warm-up act or intermission. And a couple of mates paid nearly 40 for that. But most of the comedians I've seen over the last couple of years, their sets seem to be getting shorter and shorter with every tour - Dara O'Briain, Stewart Lee, Rich Herring, John Shuttleworth, Lee Evans...

I remember back in the mid and late 90s when Bill Bailey would routinely do over 2 hours, one time we saw him he did 2 and three quarter hours! What's going on with the (comedy) world??!?!?! (rhetorical)

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4
RE: What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 21/1/2013 3:40:46 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

Slightly off topic, but this:
quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson
His most recent releases generally clock in at the hour mark

I don't mind Louis, but this saddens me if true, especially at the prices that will no doubt be charged for the O2 (unless he's sorted a Prince-style special pricing).

Given that Louis's big thing in recent years has been the complete control of his output, both through self-releasing specials through his site for $5 a time, cutting Ticketmaster out of the loop and selling tickets direct through the site, and the level of control he has over his show, I wouldn't be surprised if there were lower prices than might be expected. That said, it's a one-off gig, doing it in that kind of arena almost seems aimed at raising his profile over here, so it depends if he has the same kind of clout here that he does in the U.S.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 21/1/2013 3:41:19 PM >

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 5
RE: What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? - 22/3/2013 1:44:28 PM   
great_badir

So in the end I found myself going to see Louie at the O2 on Wednesday just gone, basically helping a mate out of a bind as he'd been let down by someone else.

I...did enjoy it and I was glad that he came back out and did a bit more, but I would still argue it was not worth 45. I'm also glad he acknowledged what a ridiculous venue the O2 is for comedy, although as a venue generally I thought it was very very good, regardless of what all the cynics say about it. I imagine for music it's one of the best indoor arenas in the country.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> What time do stand up comedy gigs usually finish? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI