Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Th Basketball Diaries

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Th Basketball Diaries Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Th Basketball Diaries - 19/1/2013 1:37:09 AM   
Art Decade

Probably my favourite Di Caprio movie. Great soundtrack too. Discuss
Post #: 1
RE: Th Basketball Diaries - 19/1/2013 6:21:33 PM   
ElephantBoy

Not a fan of this film. Di Caprio has been much better in the likes of Gilbert Grape, R&J, Revolutionay Road and Inception.

(in reply to Art Decade)
Post #: 2
RE: Th Basketball Diaries - 4/2/2013 11:32:53 PM   
arsenal4ever

Great movie and i think its top 3 Di Caprio in film and performance. He took some risks back then with his film choices before the Titanic crazy hit and he became a sex symbol to teenage girls. His choices since have been good but nowhere near the wierd choices he made before his massive Fame.

Mark walberg deserves some praise as his friend as he's every bit as good as Di caprio in this. Great soundtrack too.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 3
RE: Th Basketball Diaries - 21/4/2013 9:47:00 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I noticed that it's one of those films which hardly gets talked about. Although, I really enjoyed it and Di Caprio's role as Jim Carroll was very well done, where he was able to convince viewers how dangerous drug use can really be and the effects that comes with it. For example, the deterioration of his life, unable to play basketball, kicked out of school and his mum kicking him out of home.

I'm not usually a fan of Drama films but this one is an exception. Not a Titanic fan though but the acting was still really good in that as well, which I acknowledge.

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 21/4/2013 12:31:22 PM >

(in reply to arsenal4ever)
Post #: 4
RE: Th Basketball Diaries - 21/8/2013 3:53:24 AM   
AnamorphicWidescreen

The Basketball Diaries is a superb film, and extremely underrated these days. IMHO it features DiCaprio's best acting, ever. Really enjoyed the NYC setting, and it was very harrowing seeing the downard spiral of Jim Carroll. The fact that it was based on a true story made it all the more poignant. The scene when Carroll (DiCaprio) is begging his mother to let him back in their apartment is very powerful.

Interesting that when I first heard about the film I thought it was just going to be a typical sports movie ;)

Note that theJim Carroll band had a great (but depressing) hit punk rock song in the early '80's, "People who Died" (this was also in the film).

It's interesting that, though Carroll grew up in the 1960's, the film appears to take place in the '90's (when it was released). The soundtrack all seems to be mainly '80's & '90's music as well.

< Message edited by AnamorphicWidescreen -- 8/9/2013 12:54:30 AM >

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Th Basketball Diaries Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI