Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 23/1/2013 8:48:34 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

Starting to think if this list is a comedy list

ALVH holds some novity value and a good cast, but the Zoo films just looks awful.

A comedy list, not really, though I have no doubt it will create much laughter!

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 23/1/2013 8:49:01 PM >

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 31
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 23/1/2013 8:52:01 PM   
Dr Lenera

And thanks Gimli and Whistler, though I reckon you'll [esp. Gimli ]have issues with what is coming up!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 32
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 23/1/2013 8:57:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

16/ FRANKENWEENIE

The first of three animated movies on this list, something that I make no apologies for whatsoever. Just when I thought Tim Burton was starting to lose it a little with the disappointing quality of Alice In Wonderland and Dark Shadows, along came this stop-motion expansion of his early live-action variant of Frankenstein. With its love of old horror movies oozing out of every frame and a story which is clearly very personal to the director- for a start, it seems to show how he felt as a kid Ė Frankenweenie may lose some of the taleís emotion in the action-packed final third, but its constant inventiveness and the sense that Burton is clearly engaged in what he is making [his last two efforts felt like assignments] certainly make up for that. Welcome back Tim.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 33
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 23/1/2013 9:03:46 PM   
Dr Lenera

15/ SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN

Much like many years ago where you sometimes got two films on the same subject and the second one buried the first [i.e.Robin Hood], we had two movies based on Snow White this year and the first, Mirror Mirror was virtually ignored. It was a fitfully enjoyable pantomime aided by Tarsem Singhís visual skill, but this second effort, a really impressive directorial debut from Rupert Sanders, was far superior and actually had some of the magic that I felt was lacking from the huge disappointment that was The Hobbit. Making the most of the dark aspects of the story but also containing moments of beauty and some good laughs, itís a all-round fun package that even proved to me Chris Hemsworth could act. As for Kristen Stewart; well, she still isnít very good as an actress, but I donít really understand the widespread hate!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 34
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 24/1/2013 5:46:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dr Lenera

And thanks Gimli and Whistler, though I reckon you'll [esp. Gimli ]have issues with what is coming up!

I know I'll have issues with what I know won't be coming up

Two more great choices. I expected Frankenweenie to be great but Snow White took me by surprise.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 35
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 24/1/2013 8:23:41 AM   
MovieAddict247

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

I'd forgotten about Inishmaan, it seems like it was announced ages ago. I like Radcliffe he seems like genuinely good guy, I wasnít wholly convinced by Woman in Black and Potter is well Potter and I feel bad for him because it is constantly brought up no matter what heís doing. I thought he was decent in My Boy Jack and I do admire his work ethic and I like that he is trying to stretch himself, it might not always work but at least itís a start. Iíve not seen Handbook yet but I have it to watch but Iím not all enthused about Jon Hamm. He has some curious projects coming out this year (Horns, Kill Your Darlings) and Iím interested to see how he does.

Aside from your comment about Hamm (who I like a lot on television or in supporting roles in films), I agree. I really admire Rafcliffe some times; he clearly loves what he does, and never seems to expect anything from his career despite being that famous for so long - he seems willing to work just as any other actor would, rather than rely on Potter.

VOTE NOW for your favourite vocalist - Empire's Favourite Voices

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 36
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 24/1/2013 7:46:03 PM   
ElephantBoy

I expect great things from Frankenweenie, and I did good things from SWATH but sadly was let down.

Chreon stole the film but sadly was not in it enough, it looked pretty, but the plot and characters were bland as were some of the performance. Also felt it was a little on the long side

(in reply to MovieAddict247)
Post #: 37
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 25/1/2013 6:58:29 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

I know I'll have issues with what I know won't be coming up

Two more great choices. I expected Frankenweenie to be great but Snow White took me by surprise.

And I know what you're referring to, may I say I still adore LOTR trilogy with all my heart, but The Hobbit......nah.

Okay, expecting the brickbats

< Message edited by Dr Lenera -- 25/1/2013 7:00:00 PM >

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 38
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 25/1/2013 7:03:23 PM   
Dr Lenera

14/ THE RAID

To be honest, I wasnít totally blown away by The Raid as many folk were. Theyíve been doing this kind of thing, with action that is just as exciting and well choreographed, in Hong Kong for decades. But thereís no doubt that itís a thrilling ride, and itís good that many people were able to see decent fighting on the screen for a change this year, fighting that you actually see. Most films with fighting in this year adopted the perverse decision to make it as hard as possible to see it due to the stupid editing employed. Barely pausing to catch its breath and thankfully refusing to do things that the planned Hollywood remake probably will do like add a love interest and tone down the brutality to get a lower rating, itís the kind of action movie that really gets the adrenalin going and leaves you shaken but very very satisfied.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 39
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 25/1/2013 7:05:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

13/ THE EXPENDABLES 2

The Raid may have been full of pulsating and intricately choreographed fight sequences, but for me the best ďHell Yeah!Ē, ĎHit The Roofí moment of the year was the sight of Bruce Willis, Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger blasting away together at hundreds of bad guys. The Expendables was immensely entertaining in its own right, but this sequel for me beats it, its tongue-in-cheek feel being one of the things that makes it so enjoyable. Itís basically a load of movie icons having a good time and poking fun at themselves, with probably as many laughs as Ted, while Simon Westís direction at times brings the proceedings close to the action classic that is Con Air. The post-added CG blood looks crap, but overall The Expendables 2 gave me the giddy escapism that this yearís outings from the likes of Spiderman, Batman,and even dare I say it 007 werenít really able to.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 40
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 25/1/2013 7:07:25 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

And I know what you're referring to, may I say I still adore LOTR trilogy with all my heart, but The Hobbit......nah.

Do you think maybe it may grow on you once you've seen all three? As much as I loved FOTR, it only became truly brilliant and my favourite film once I saw how it played out as the first part of three.

The Raid. Ho hum. Saw it yesterday and ended up beinmg quite bored.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 41
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 26/1/2013 8:44:19 PM   
Dr Lenera

It's possible. I suppose my trouble with The Hobbit was that I started to feel negative about it as soon as PJ announced he was going to do three films of the one book, and also that I have read the book and the film doesn't for me recapture its tone and tries too hard to be a prequel to LOTR. I'll give it another go when the DVD comes out certainly.

Which reminds me, I did a write-up on LOTR end of last year on HCF which you especially will appreciate , I don't think you're allowed to post links to external reviews on here and it's far too long to post on Empire;I'll try to split it into three parts and post it that way sometime soon, will take a while!

Post #: 42
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 26/1/2013 8:46:28 PM   
Dr Lenera

12/ RISE OF THE GUARDIANS

The second animated film on this list has one of the best ideas in ages. What if Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Jack Frost, the Sandman and the Tooth Fairy really existed and were superheroes who protected the minds and dreams of children? Proving once again the diversity the output of Dreamworks and easily outdoing in quality this yearís disappointing efforts from Pixar and Aardmann, Rise Of The Guardians takes its great premise and turns into a wonderfully wierd action movie, its headlong pace still managing to occasionally stop for some moments of real beauty, with the scenes of the Sandman creating dreams some of the most wondrous moments of the year. What a shame this film wasnít a smash it deserved to be, because I would have loved to see these guys in action again.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 43
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 26/1/2013 8:48:36 PM   
Dr Lenera

11/ RED LIGHTS

Red Lights doesnít seem to have been much liked, but I was very impressed with Rodrigo Cortezís follow-up to the fine Buried. He creates a really eerie and suspenseful atmosphere to the point where I was actually quite frightened, while making the most of his intelligent script that certainly kept me guessing till the end and also had much to say about the paranormal and perhaps our need for it. Perfectly paced, containing excellent performances by almost everyone including Robert De Niroís best in years, and with a twist that I loved [though the director's original variant is darker and better], this is one movie that I feel has been criminally neglected and misunderstood by people who I think expected a typical, simplistic thrill-ride. Surely a film that is basically about the creation of a superhero deserves better?

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 44
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 27/1/2013 1:10:49 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Which reminds me, I did a write-up on LOTR end of last year on HCF which you especially will appreciate , I don't think you're allowed to post links to external reviews on here and it's far too long to post on Empire;I'll try to split it into three parts and post it that way sometime soon, will take a while!

Awesome! Always happy to read favourable comments on LOTR

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 45
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 28/1/2013 9:08:56 PM   
Dr Lenera

10/ LIFE OF PI

This superbly strange adventure film didnít really need its framing story, and the big deal about this being worth seeing in 3D turned out, just as it did with Tron:Legacy, Prometheus and several other movies, to be a load of bull twaddle, as the 3D added nothing. This remains quite extraordinary viewing for most of its length though, utterly gripping despite being mostly set on a boat with a boy and a tiger, containing some beautiful shots which really took my breath away, and adroitly mixing realism and fantasy [the carnivorous island is a concept I will never forget]. Films like this also make me, for a few minutes at least, rethink my opinion on CGI, because the tiger in this one is so convincing for most of the time. And Ang Lee has finally made a film I could totally emotionally engage in.

Post #: 46
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 28/1/2013 9:10:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

9/ THE MUPPETS

I never warmed to the Muppets as a kid and therefore never bothered to check out any of their films. Ten minutes into The Muppets, I was a fan of these terrific characters and their unique brand of what I call Ďintelligent stupidityí, and since seeing this film I have picked up five of the Muppet movies and will eventually get the lot. The story of this one, to be honest, is as predictable as you get, but you cares when the film sends you out of the cinema so happy and joyous. Succeeding in being both a celebration and a gentle mocking of its title creatures, it also has Amy Adams at her most delightful and even decent songs. Add a few touches of the bizarre, and you really do have a film that can be enjoyed by kids and adults equally, something which is less and less frequent these days.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 47
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 30/1/2013 2:13:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The Muppets is brilliant but probably just makes their top 5 films. The human cast and Walter are all pretty forgettable, but the Muppet segments are a joy and the idea of them having put on The Muppet Show was genius. You should check out the actual Muppet Show, it's superb in every way. Apart from when Elton John was on.

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 48
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 30/1/2013 9:50:01 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

The Muppets is brilliant but probably just makes their top 5 films. The human cast and Walter are all pretty forgettable, but the Muppet segments are a joy and the idea of them having put on The Muppet Show was genius. You should check out the actual Muppet Show, it's superb in every way. Apart from when Elton John was on.

I loved the Muppets movie recently saw it for the second time and it swept me away and made me laugh even more than the first time around. The muscially numbers were great and I have to disagree with you about the human parts both Amy Adams and Jason Segal got the perfect tone and the right comic timing, also casting Chris Cooper as the evil ticoon was a stroke of genuis! I would put it in my top three Muppet films just behind Christmas Carol and Takes Manhattan. I very much approve of this choice Dr!

On the other hand saw Life of Pi at the weekend and it didn't do much for me. Visually it was good, and after awhile I didn't notice the 3D (which is a good thing), but the story and characters were just so bland and boy did it drag towards the end

Post #: 49
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 31/1/2013 5:49:54 PM   
Dr Lenera

I will Gimli, and blimey Elephant Boy we agree

8/ WAR HORSE

Though I remain of the opinion that his two best pictures are Jaws and Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, Steven Spielberg has managed to just about maintain a level of quality in his output; even his failures are still pretty good by the standards of many other filmmakers. Warhorse was often critised for being old-fashioned and sentimental, but to me, who watches and enjoys old films as often as [and sometimes more than] new ones, I would hardly consider that an insult, and I actually think that Spielberg held back on the sentimentality, even while he remains one of the best audience manipulators in the business. Time and place is superbly evoked in the first third while from then on scene after scene ram home to us the futulity and cruelty of war, climaxing in that shattering image of that horse trapped in barbed wire. I think weíll allowed to feel emotional, arenít we?

Post #: 50
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 31/1/2013 5:51:44 PM   
Dr Lenera

7/ ARGO

Despite mostly excellent reviews, I wasnít convinced that Ben Affleck, who as a director has surely atoned for his dreadful acting, would make this true story, a story whose conclusion was hardly kept a secret, as gripping and absorbing as all that, but I was wrong. He had me glued to the screen right from the beginning and I was virtually climbing the wall towards the end, even though thereís no real reason why people being detained at an airport should be so exciting, yet you could also call Argo one of the comedies of the year as it really is packed with perfectly timed and played laughs. Argo proves that you donít need loads of action or gore to thrill, you just need a careful script and a director who knows how to make the most out of every scene. I do need to say that Affleck should have still given the lead role to someone else, but Iíll forgive him as his movie is so good.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 51
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 2:13:28 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

You can't go praising War Horse around these parts. You'll get lynched I loved it, great film.

Argo's good too, but I ended up less interested whenever Goodman, Arkin and Cranston weren't on screen.

Much more better!

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 52
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 5:17:09 PM   
ElephantBoy

Really need to catch up with Argo epscially as if you believe some it may cause an upset and beat the likes of Lincoln and Les Miserables to the Oscar, which I don't buy but its certainly interesting.

Post #: 53
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 5:18:13 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Really need to catch up with Argo epscially as if you believe some it may cause an upset and beat the likes of Lincoln and Les Miserables to the Oscar, which I don't buy but its certainly interesting.

Argo is more of a favourite than either of them. Les Mis is a rank outsider.

Post #: 54
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 9:12:45 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

But it's better than Argo

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 55
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 9:17:45 PM   
rawlinson

But in terms of what's likely to win, it doesn't have the precursor awards. At the moment, anything other than Argo winning would be an upset. But it doesn't have the best director nomination, which hurts it. So we could be looking at another 95, where Apollo 13 was taking the precursors, missed on a director nom and ultimately didn't take best picture either. But Argo has a best director Golden Globe win, which went to Braveheart instead of Apollo 13. So basically, it's a really weird year. But Les Mis winning would be possibly be the biggest upset of them all, given that it missed out on both best director and best editing at the Oscars. In terms of history, precursors etc, Argo is out in front, closely followed by Lincoln and Silver Linings. Anything else winning classes as an upset.

Post #: 56
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 9:27:47 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

We all know Babe should have won in 95

I'm not expecting Les Mis to win, I;d just prefer it to Argo. But I have only seen three of the nominess so far.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 57
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 1/2/2013 11:58:00 PM   
ElephantBoy

quote:

quote:

Don't know what planet you are living on thinking that, reguardless of what you think of the three films, history says that Lincoln and Les Miserables are the sort of films which tend to win best picture not Argo which has been a suprise indie hit and until recently has been just in front of Amour and Beasts as a outsider. It has only be recently with Argo winning awards in the run up which has put it in the running. It would be nice for a left field choice to win.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 58
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 2/2/2013 12:40:32 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't know what planet you are living on thinking that, reguardless of what you think of the three films, history says that Lincoln and Les Miserables are the sort of films which tend to win best picture not Argo which has been a suprise indie hit and until recently has been just in front of Amour and Beasts as a outsider. It has only be recently with Argo winning awards in the run up which has put it in the running. It would be nice for a left field choice to win.

Argo was one of the favourites to win for the last few months. Argo has won the Producer's Guild Award. Since 1989, the film that has won the Producer's Guild Award has gone on to win the Oscar 18 times. Argo also won the Screen Actor's Guild best ensemble over tough competition. Since 1995, the winner has gone on to win Best Picture eight times. When the same film has won both the PGA and SAG ensemble, the film has won the Oscar all but twice. Argo doesn't have a best director nomination, which hurts the film, only three films have ever won best picture without a best director nomination - Wings, Grand Hotel and Driving Miss Daisy. Driving Miss Daisy was a PGA winner, btw. Argo is the frontrunner, that's on planet Earth, btw. Les Miserables doesn't have a best director nomination, it also doesn't have the benefit of guild support or a best editing nomination. In the history of the Oscars, only nine films have won best picture without a best editing nomination. A film hasn't won best picture without an editing nomination since Ordinary People in 1980. Since the editing Oscar was introduced in 1934 if a film hasn't been nominated for either or those two awards, it hasn't won best picture. Les Miserables hasn't been getting support from the guilds. It didn't sweep the critics awards, and it didn't get the two key Oscar noms for winning best picture. If it should win, it would be one of the biggest upsets in the history of the Oscars. Now you can argue all you want about "films like... usually win" but that's ultimately irrelevant. What matters is what films the guilds support, because the guilds are the people who actually vote.

Argo is the favourite because it's won the guild
Silver Linings is second because it has the overwhelming support of the largest voting body in the Academy, along with support from the directors and editors.
Lincoln is slightly behind because it didn't get an editing nomination
Amour, Beasts and Life of Pi are just behind that because they all have directing noms.
Zero Dark Thirty, Les Mis and Django are the most unlikely to win right now. The only way any of this changes is if someone other than Affleck wins the DGA.

That's not saying Argo is definitely going to win best picture, it's saying it's the clear frontrunner right now.

Now, do you want to try basing your response on facts?

Actually, one correction, Lincoln did get the editing nom, I was mixing it up with Amour. So Lincoln is slightly ahead of Silver Linings because it got a DGA nom and Linings didn't.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 2/2/2013 12:44:55 AM >

Post #: 59
RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 - 3/2/2013 5:27:59 PM   
Dr Lenera

quote:

quote:

quote:

But it's better than Argo

I would disagree. Les Miserable was horrible [and I loved the stage show]. One of the worst directed and shot films in ages

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Doc'sTop Twenty Films Of 2012 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI