Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Utopia On Channel 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Utopia On Channel 4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 22/2/2013 1:44:49 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

Quite good. Overly complex with MacGuffin after MacGuffin flung in, I wasn't really sure what was going on half the time. Still managed to enjoy it though.

It did lose it's edge during last week's episode where they were advertising the DVD that clearly had 'Series One' printed on it. From then on I knew it would be inconclusive.

I thought Jessica Hyde was quite tidy in a kinda-crazy-will-she-kill-me-afterwards way.

Yeah, I looked up the DVD on Amazon a few weeks back and was a bit disappointed that they'd clearly stated it was series 1, not simply 'Utopia'... would have prefered it come to a full ending rather than drawing it out.

I couldn't stand Jessica by the end, her mannerisms, her accent, her delivery - all of it! Was quite pleased with the ending in that respect!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 31
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 5/3/2013 2:54:01 PM   
elab49

Watched it through in one go and enjoyed it for the most part.

Last epi, though, I kept thinking about Resident Evil Apocalypse - it did seem to have a couple of plot points transferred which I thought was amusing.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 32
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 5/3/2013 8:40:02 PM   
Drone

Lost interest by the end of episode four, and as soon as I realised it was all just "series one" I pretty much gave up

Way back when Utopia was a one off, unique show based on some crazy comic book that predicted the future, I was excited about it.

By the time we'd reached the end, after wave upon wave of paper thin, not particularly likeable characters I could care less about and horrible plot contrivances, I just didn't care. This has nowhere near the chops necessary to drag over x number of series'

And i just don't feel the graphic violence/surprise murder/ torture scenes added anything to it whatsoever.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 19/3/2013 10:24:57 AM   
spark1

where is jessica hyde?

back for a second season!!!!!-

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/38562/utopia-series-2-confirmed-by-channel-4/

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 34
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 19/3/2013 1:27:15 PM   
musht

quote:

ORIGINAL: spark1

where is jessica hyde?

back for a second season!!!!!-

http://www.scifinow.co.uk/news/38562/utopia-series-2-confirmed-by-channel-4/

meh, first season was fine but it was slow an a second season is unnecessary. they had the chance to wrap it up

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 35
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 16/7/2014 12:45:05 PM   
Super Hans

Did anyone watch the opening double bill of series two then?

I haven't seen the first prequel episode yet but was half-watching the second episode last night (will watch both with more concentration at the weekend I think) but first impressions of episode 2 was....is this just going to be more of the same?

Without wanting to spoil anything there were some surprise re-appearances from series 1 which was interesting but come the end credits it was all starting to feel a bit familiar.

Entertaining through, so I'll see how it pans out!

(in reply to musht)
Post #: 36
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 21/7/2014 1:11:44 PM   
jobloffski

Can't be arsed with series two.

Utopia, for me, mistook slow for epic, shock for drama, and the acting, simply not good enough to make any of the characters believable, at all. The graphic novel style framing of shots, yeah, okay, cool and all that, but I was bored by the end, for one very simple reason:

If everything you are told and expected to buy into gets turned on its head by something else you are told and expected to buy into, and this is the entire MO of the show, if the stages of the development of the story don't keep me hooked enough in their own right to get past the feeling that at any moment now, someone else is going to be telling the characters 'everything you know is wrong, this is what is really happening' eventually I lose the will to keep paying attention.

The series seems built on creating a 'something is about to happen' mood, but if you keep pulling the rug out from under me, I start to wonder if you actually have a story to tell at all if smoke and mirrors is what you keep showing me.

Er, take that British TV. Plot matters less than character and how characters interact with each other. If I see characters who are a characteristic, rather than actual motivated characters, I just see a bunch of flimsy drama school students letting their clothes/haircut be thebasis of their performance. Utopia crawled like an attention seeking infant saying look at me, look at me, and used violence as LOOK AT ME.

The moment there was not going to be a definitive ending, and it just became another reveal that something else was going on, I had enough.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 37
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 4/8/2014 4:37:11 PM   
Chief

S2, I'm still confused. Still like it though.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 38
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 6/8/2014 4:30:25 PM   
Super Hans

Was it the last episode last night or is there one more?

I haven't seen last last week's episode yet and missed it last night. Might try and catch up with them but have to admit my interest has definitely died down a bit. Series one had me proper gripped, it was something fresh and a bit different but as soon as they start churning out a (presumably?) indefinite number of series it's hard for me to keep up the enthusiasm.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 39
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 12/8/2014 1:20:08 PM   
Chief

Last episode is on tonight.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 40
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 13/8/2014 12:02:06 PM   
spark1

anyone for season 3?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Utopia On Channel 4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI