Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Utopia On Channel 4

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Utopia On Channel 4 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Utopia On Channel 4 - 16/1/2013 10:38:34 AM   
spark1

i skipped the bit with the spoon otherwise excellent opener.

oh, look ,there's jessica hyde.
Post #: 1
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 16/1/2013 11:25:18 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Spoon sequence was the best bit

Bit ponderous I thought but it has potential.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 17/1/2013 1:16:23 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 2
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 16/1/2013 8:15:27 PM   
will1000

I thought it was aces! Loved the juxtaposition of bright vibrant colours and violent dark subject matter (murder, torture, child rape, shitty hand shake!). I'm looking forward to next weeks.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 16/1/2013 9:00:13 PM   
Drone

It was very good

My initial reservations were 'it looks like the sort of thing that will eventually run for too many series and and up on E4 on a Sunday afternoon.' Clearly that won't happen.

I just hope they have an ending planned, and stick with it. I don't want to see a great, interesting premise dragged out longer than it needs to be. Jay Maskell (?) is epic, I loved the guy in Kill List he's a fantastic actor.

I was very surprised by it; looking forward to next week and I very rarely ever get into TV series'.

(in reply to will1000)
Post #: 4
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 17/1/2013 12:34:10 AM   
KnightofZyryab

It was compelling viewing, with a very good cast and a lot of intriguing plot points. Will be interesting to see how all of the events are connected and what kind of conspiracy is driving all the murders and torture.

Imminent viewings : The Place Beyond the Pines

Read my blog at: http://alcentrodelaberinto.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Drone)
Post #: 5
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 17/1/2013 8:37:03 AM   
Chief

Decent. I'll stick with it I think.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 6
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 17/1/2013 2:02:23 PM   
spark1

must be good, guardian has a series blog for it-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2013/jan/15/utopia-episode-by-episode

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 7
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 23/1/2013 11:06:58 PM   
Mister Coe

Thought episode one was pretty good, episode two got a bit dull.

I'll give it one more episode.

Say what now?

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 8
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 26/1/2013 7:09:08 PM   
big dawg

Quite liked it. Took a wee bit to get into but by the end of ep 2 I reckon im hooked.

Liked the guy from Kill List killing the other guy from Kill List

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 9
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 28/1/2013 12:44:39 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe

Thought episode one was pretty good, episode two got a bit dull.

I'll give it one more episode.

Bloody hell, if episode two is as slow as the first, this is going to be a long show.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 10
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 29/1/2013 10:12:57 PM   
Scruffybobby

Daily Mail's gonna fucking love this episode

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." - Robin Williams

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 11
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 30/1/2013 6:57:45 PM   
theoriginalcynic

I'm surprised they aired this after the recent shootings. As for the show, it's quite good but it's gonna depend on how they bring it together.

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 12
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 30/1/2013 8:31:30 PM   
Mister Coe

I'm also surprised that this was aired... not because of the recent shooting, this must have been filmed many months before that awful incident, but because it's such a horrible thing and they thought it fit to film in the first place.

I mean, the whole point was to frame the little boy for a horrible crime... did the production company feel the need to go to a crime like THAT or couldn't they have thought of something else? I can't remember when the previous school shooting must have been when Utopia was filmed, but those kind of shootings were something that upset all of us. It doesn't matter if the last one was a year ago, or three years, or five.

It just strikes me that the production company were shouting in our faces, saying 'Look how edgy and controversial we are! There was eye torture in Episode One! We've showed loads of people having their brains splattered out! Now look at how much further we can take it! It'll get loads of newspaper headlines and make people watch Episode Four!'

I hate to be Moaning Myrtle from The Daily Mail, I've liked Utopia and will continue to watch, but I just thought it was a step too far and could have been done so much better and in a far better way.

Say what now?

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 13
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 31/1/2013 8:59:20 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I read it as another example of how the Company will go to what all right thinking people consider to be repugnant acts, without the slightest hesitancy.

The idea of a Russian doll mystery coupled with a attitude that everyone is utterly expendable is the most frightening part. Look at what the minister cooly says to Dugdale at the end "'Lovely woman, shame if she was raped'I literally flinched when he said that but its a brilliant line. It shows that there are no consequence to their actions at all and arguably they represent a twisted fucked up vision of humanity where there are no rules except get what you want.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 14
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 31/1/2013 9:37:35 PM   
Super Hans

Bit behind but I watched the first episode on 4OD last night. Very promising start - liked the whole eerie, creepy tone of the show. Combination of the bright colours, weird soundtrack and serious nastiness made for as close to a disturbing viewing experience as I've ever had!

The story threads all seem quite promising, but if I'm going to start watching it, I really hope the storyline is self contained within the 6 episode series - I might be in the minority here but I'm not entirely one for these drama series that roll on for several series/seasons, just for the sake of racking up the series count.

I shall try and give the next two episodes a go before the 4th one airs. Might have to see if they are downloadable anywhere though - buffering on my supposedly recently doubled Virgin broadband speeds makes streaming an infuriating hobby!

I read about the episode 3 shocker. I guess it must have been a tough call to screen it when they did but without wanting to sound too callous, they can only be concerned to a certain extent about how soon after such an atrocity they show these things - problem is, the US has so many of them, when could they risk showing it?

Comically, if you google Utopia, Mail online is the only place you'll find any kind of 'OUTRAAAAGE!!!' type articles - nowhere else in the news.

< Message edited by Super Hans -- 31/1/2013 10:12:31 PM >

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 15
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 1/2/2013 1:36:32 PM   
great_badir

RE the school shooting thing, I'm guessing that the reason they did it like that (for story purposes) is because it's one of the most horrible crimes you could think of occurring in this country. The "company" (or whatever they are) are desperate to get hold of the kid and the manuscript and, as Jessica Hyde (or was it Becky?) said, following the shootings, he's now the most famous person in the country, so everyone would be keeping an eye out for him. Up to that point, he had the ability to escape and hide easily, given that, because he is just a kid, he's got none of the responsibilities or identities that the other adults have. But now everyone assumes that he is a mass murderer, his options for anonymity have got that much smaller.

Along with a bit of revelation about his back story, it was also a clever way of getting Neil Maskell's character, who we previously assumed had no humanity at all, to feel at least some emotion and partly question what he's doing. Until that point, we assumed he was just a cold hearted robot with an asthma problem. I'm not saying that he's now a sympathetic character, just one who has become more human and has, therefore, made both him and the show more complex and challenging.

I had no problem with them doing it the way they did it - it was not sensationalised, nor was it graphic, and it probably was partly done with a purposeful nod to real-life examples, so it was more realistic.

< Message edited by great_badir -- 1/2/2013 1:38:11 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 16
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 2/2/2013 12:34:06 PM   
Super Hans

Caught up on episodes 2 & 3 last night - hooked now!

Makes a nice change to find a drama/thriller show that grabs me - especially on a terrestrial TV channel. Most of the ones that sound any good tend to be US shows on channels I don't have, so when I find myself intereted in watching something, it means ploughing though several seasons on DVD (all the talk about Breaking Bad recently being an example - if I want to get into that now I need to fork out for 4/5 seasons).

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 17
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 5/2/2013 7:10:09 PM   
borstal

Im really enjoying but just hope it doesn't drag on all ambiguous forever. There a few stories there that I want answers to, mainly Arby.

Loving the Kubrik tracking shots too

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 18
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 5/2/2013 8:19:19 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Im really enjoying but just hope it doesn't drag on all ambiguous forever. There a few stories there that I want answers to, mainly Arby.

Loving the Kubrik tracking shots too

He's definitely an interesting one! I'm liking the bribed civil servant, very intrigued by that thread of the story.

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 19
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 7/2/2013 8:19:24 AM   
borstal

Raisin Boy!

The welsh girl is getting on my tits...what is she up to?!

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 20
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 7/2/2013 1:24:52 PM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Raisin Boy!

The welsh girl is getting on my tits...what is she up to?!

The Irish girl is annoying me with her bug eyed head movements and the way she delivers some of her lines. Also, her performance during the strangling was straight out of No Country For Old Men but with less blood and better hair.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 21
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 7/2/2013 2:03:25 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: talpacino

Also, her performance during the strangling was straight out of No Country For Old Men but with less blood and better hair.

To be fair I could manage that and I have none.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 22
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 7/2/2013 4:34:47 PM   
Chief

To be honest, I'm finding it all a bit confusing.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 23
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 7/2/2013 8:48:19 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

It is hurting my brain a bit keeping up - think I'm almost there but not sure I could explain it fully to someone if they asked me to!

Definitely will be buying it I think - definitely feeling like I want to watch it again.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 24
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 8/2/2013 9:40:03 AM   
talpacino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

It is hurting my brain a bit keeping up - think I'm almost there but not sure I could explain it fully to someone if they asked me to!

Definitely will be buying it I think - definitely feeling like I want to watch it again.

Yeah this is pretty much me too, I don't even know how to describe the show to people. A mate asked me what it was about and I stared blankly...He asked Is it violent? Yeah. Well then I'm watching it.

< Message edited by talpacino -- 8/2/2013 9:50:37 AM >

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 25
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 20/2/2013 5:07:17 PM   
Base

No thoughts on the last couple of episodes then?

I watched most of it in the last few days, definitely easier to keep up with what is going on. Was a shame RB wasn't in the final episode, but I doubt he is actually gone. Should have seen the final twist coming sooner but was suitably well set up.

And is it me or is Becky really hot, even with that accent???

I am making a mental list of those who are snickering, and even as I speak I'm preparing appropriate retribution...!

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 26
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 20/2/2013 5:34:32 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Base

No thoughts on the last couple of episodes then?

I watched most of it in the last few days, definitely easier to keep up with what is going on. Was a shame RB wasn't in the final episode, but I doubt he is actually gone. Should have seen the final twist coming sooner but was suitably well set up.

And is it me or is Becky really hot, even with that accent???

*****ENDING SPOILERS*****

She is a bit tidy, I have to say!

I've enjoyed the series - bordering on the over-complex for me at times, but very entertaining all the same! Regarding the final twist(s), I figured that the actual top baddie had yet to be revealed when they were getting on the train with 20 minutes to go, but I hadn't guessed it would be Milner - I thought it would be the minister guy (Dugdale's boss).

Definitely didn't see it coming that manuscript itself would be a red herring - very cleverly done!

Looks like they've set it up for a potential second series, although I'm glad that they wrapped up the plot to the enxtent they did - I'd have been hacked off if it had been a 'the hunt for Mr Rabbit continues' type ending!

I was definitely left wondering about RB. Like you say, I'm sure it won't be the last we see of him if there's another series. He was a great character - started out as stock psychopath, ended up (for me) something of a tragic, broken chracter, who's upbringing revelations actually made me feel quite sad.

It'll be interesting to see if they can come up a series 2 to match that in terms of compexity and twists. Perhaps RB's background will be more the focus if there is one.

(in reply to Base)
Post #: 27
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 20/2/2013 9:56:24 PM   
great_badir

Overall excellent, although I'd prefer it if they left it alone with just this one series rather than drag it out.

But it reminded me an awful lot of Edge of Darkness, albeit completely different in style.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 28
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 20/2/2013 11:51:58 PM   
homersimpson_esq

I watched episode one, but nearly didn't bother finishing it. Thought it was a badly acted, badly scripted execution of something that, somewhere down the line, was an interesting idea. Everyone was annoying, and obvious, and I found the 'shocking' bits so blatantly intended solely for that purpose as to lose all power.

Crap.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 29
RE: Utopia On Channel 4 - 21/2/2013 2:28:47 PM   
Chief

Quite good. Overly complex with MacGuffin after MacGuffin flung in, I wasn't really sure what was going on half the time. Still managed to enjoy it though.

It did lose it's edge during last week's episode where they were advertising the DVD that clearly had 'Series One' printed on it. From then on I knew it would be inconclusive.

I thought Jessica Hyde was quite tidy in a kinda-crazy-will-she-kill-me-afterwards way.

(in reply to spark1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Utopia On Channel 4 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI