Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Django Unchained

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Django Unchained Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Django Unchained - 1/2/2013 9:03:20 PM   
Whistler

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 61
RE: Django Unchained - 1/2/2013 9:48:51 PM   
kumar

^ I was half expecting it to end with that shot, frozen, with music kicking in and credits rolling. Minor complaint but I could have done without the horse thing.

"Darth Silas - I love Craig as Bond too. Genius. "- Jackmansgirl 15/7/2008

Last films watched:

The Road - 4/5
Chronicle - 4/5
Twilight Breaking Dawn p1 - 1/5
Warrior - 5/5
Super 8 - 5/5
Paranormal Activity 3 - 3/5
MI 4 - 2/5

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 62
RE: Django Unchained - 1/2/2013 9:56:43 PM   
Whistler

It was a little random, but quite funny. I think Foxx just wanted to show off what his horse could do.

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 63
RE: Django Unchained - 2/2/2013 4:01:36 PM   
Vadersville

quote:

ORIGINAL: kumar

^ I was half expecting it to end with that shot, frozen, with music kicking in and credits rolling. Minor complaint but I could have done without the horse thing.

I thought the exact same thing. I didn't really get the horse thing either. It didn't bother me but just felt a bit random.

Confusion is a way of life, not a state of mind

(in reply to kumar)
Post #: 64
RE: Django Unchained - 26/3/2013 10:35:46 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Vadersville

quote:

I thought the exact same thing. I didn't really get the horse thing either. It didn't bother me but just felt a bit random.

I third this complaint, but it didn't bother me nearly as much as it did my friend that I went to see it with. He's very picky when it comes to endings (he's still furious at how The Matrix ends with Neo flying).

(in reply to Vadersville)
Post #: 65
RE: Django Unchained - 26/3/2013 11:06:26 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

I third this complaint, but it didn't bother me nearly as much as it did my friend that I went to see it with. He's very picky when it comes to endings (he's still furious at how The Matrix ends with Neo flying).

Why's that? It's a kick ass ending!

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 66
RE: Django Unchained - 26/3/2013 11:32:00 PM   
Mr Gittes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr Gittes

quote:

quote:

Why's that? It's a kick ass ending!

I KNOW, right?!
Ah, well, I was happy enough that he absolutely loved everything else in it though.

Anyway, back on topic...On my first viewing of Django Unchained, I was thoroughly entertained and I thought it was his best since Pulp Fiction. However, based on my second viewing, I think I now prefer Inglourious Basterds. I still loved it but it just wasn't that first viewing for me.

You never know, maybe it was because I was sitting next to Mr Hard-To-Please-With-Movie-Endings. Or just movies in general with him; he's not so hot on The Exorcist, Minority Report, Close Encounters, Sin City, Blue Velvet and Psycho. Not to mention, he hated Oldboy, E.T. and United 93. As heartbreaking as these reactions were, it does make the successful viewings all the more special

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 67
RE: Django Unchained - 26/3/2013 11:35:03 PM   
Mr Gittes

Oh, and I must say, I miss your old avatar, man!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 68
RE: Django Unchained - 27/3/2013 12:00:13 AM   
Whistler

So do I, but I wanna give Archer some love. It'll be back some day

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 69
RE: Django Unchained - 21/4/2013 9:42:13 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I thought it was truly awesome in my opinion. I thought the use of dialogue was decent and the random scenes of carnage were good fun too. I thought Tarantino was about to lose motivation after watching Inglourious Basterds but Django Unchained convinced me that he still has it. Definitely one of my favourites of his along with Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs.

< Message edited by adamthehorrorfan -- 21/4/2013 12:08:18 PM >

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 70
RE: Django Unchained - 24/4/2013 11:28:43 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonsmi

It is not bad movie............................

I concur

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 71
RE: Django Unchained - 10/5/2013 1:06:14 PM   
Sotto Voce

I liked Django Unchained, but here's something that bothers me a bit. Why couldn't they just go to Candy and say "I believe you have a slave who speaks German. I'd like to buy her from you" ?
Why did they have to pretend to be interested in buying slaves for fighting?

All things digested have a similar hue.

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 72
RE: Django Unchained - 19/5/2013 9:30:11 AM   
Chronicle

Saw it for the second time yesterday (got the blu-ray) and I love it even more. This is pure entertainment for me. The combination of a great script, good laughs, fantastic actors and awesome music makes this a great movie. Can't wait for Tarantino's next film!

(in reply to Sotto Voce)
Post #: 73
RE: Django Unchained - 20/5/2013 12:54:46 PM   
Whistler

Just arrived. Made me very happy

(in reply to Chronicle)
Post #: 74
RE: Django Unchained - 21/5/2013 9:08:24 PM   
Scott_

I got that Steelbook too, good stuff.

Anways, how fucking good is this? Never saw it at the cinema as every time I went it ended up being sold out! Performances are all good (apart from you QT, Jesus fucking Christ you were awful) DiCaprio and Waltz are amazing though, everything from the dinner onwards involving those two might be some of Tarantinos best work.

And the bag scene. The bag scene is awesome.

Why the scheme though? He could have gone to Calvin and asked to buy Broomhilda and he probably would have sold. Was he a little mental or just enjoys being a smart arse?

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig."

Check out my top 21 films - http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3188740

360 Gamertag - SmokinFuzz

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 75
RE: Django Unchained - 22/5/2013 8:57:27 PM   
ElephantBoy

Its Taratino's best film in quite sometime but that really isn't saying much. Its solid, but overlong and messy.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 76
RE: Django Unchained - 24/5/2013 10:11:18 PM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scott_

Why the scheme though? He could have gone to Calvin and asked to buy Broomhilda and he probably would have sold. Was he a little mental or just enjoys being a smart arse?

Would he have, though? They could have gone to Candie and said "we hear you have a slave to speaks German, we want to buy her", but he probably would have just told them to get lost. Remember, the only reason he considered a deal and took Django and Shultz to Candieland was because of their "ridiculous" offer of $12,000 for a mandingo fighter. Shultz's plan was always to leave having paid a small amount for Broomhilda, with Candie thinking they would come back in five days to pay the $12,000 for Eskimo Joe, but they never would.

(in reply to Scott_)
Post #: 77
RE: Django Unchained - 28/5/2013 11:20:37 PM   
photonshot

Best movie this year! Love Christoph Waltz!

Why can't I stop playing Reely

(in reply to clownfoot)
Post #: 78
RE: Django Unchained - 29/5/2013 11:13:48 AM   
dillon.anderson1378

quote:

ORIGINAL: photonshot

Best movie this year! Love Christoph Waltz!

I am seconding that, it was the best film of 2012!
Tarantino is a legend! A genius!
And he creates yet another masterpiece

(in reply to photonshot)
Post #: 79
RE: Django Unchained - 10/6/2013 12:55:18 AM   
rich

Still mulling this over, but definitely a thumbs up, not sure of it's better than Basterds despite the pacing. That final act does seem a little off, but it fits into the heroic defeat and return sort of trope so I'm okay with that. Though perhaps Schultz went out without much of a send off? Still great stuff, love the practical effects even when they go way over the top.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to dillon.anderson1378)
Post #: 80
RE: Django Unchained - 26/6/2013 1:07:43 PM   
Vitamin F

For me, the best Tarantino film since Jackie Brown. In fact this will be the first of his I'll be buying since then, I can't wait to watch this again. And again.
It flows much better than recent efforts, there's some great comedy moments (the bags, of course) and the explosive violence is spectacular at times.

I didn't find this overlong or draggy at all, and the only things that irked me were the usual QT cameo (please stop) and he just can't help adding annoying captions to his films, but that's being really pernickety. Very entertaining indeed, and that's all I want.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 81
RE: Django Unchained - 29/6/2013 9:24:31 PM   
ladybooger

QT knows how to make a good movie, that's for sure.

But what's with this need to 'act' in his own movies all the time? It just stains what is otherwise a decent picture with crapness. Totally brought me out of the movie when QT arrived with his terrible Australian accent. Made me wonder if this was his intention in case we forgot it was his movie or something. Geez.

Read my blog - The Exorcist - Magical Fantasy http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/blogs.asp?UID=289447

(in reply to Vitamin F)
Post #: 82
RE: Django Unchained - 29/6/2013 11:33:19 PM   
rich

Honestly I didn't mind it that much, and his exit from the scene caused a chuckle so there it is.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to ladybooger)
Post #: 83
RE: Django Unchained - 23/7/2013 11:25:38 AM   
Mr Gittes

Anyone else think the marshal around the beginning doesn't seem like too bad a guy? Sure, he still says "nigger" and such, but there doesn't seem to be any malice in it; more like an obligation given the time and place. I can just picture him reading in bed next to his wife at the end of the day telling her about two boys that came into town and their crazy story, saying "You couldn't make up such a thing". He just seems like an ordinary guy honourably doing his job.

It's a huge credit to the actor (and Quentin of course) that I'm thinking this much about a two-minute part.

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 84
RE: Django Unchained - 24/7/2013 10:52:48 PM   
rich

I don't think it's that relevant, but he didn't shoot them on sight out of professional courtesy or something. No idea if a Marshal is like a more respectable position or not. The scene makes me want a beer though.

Meanwhile...

(in reply to Mr Gittes)
Post #: 85
RE: Django Unchained - 13/8/2013 11:52:13 PM   
Whistler

Does anyone know if there's an extended cut looming on the horizon? I know there was a lot cut out to keep the running time 'down' and I think QT said something about releasing one way back at the end of last year, but I haven't heard anything else about it. Really hope there is one - I'd happily sit through a 3 hour cut

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 86
RE: Django Unchained - 14/8/2013 10:06:07 AM   
AxlReznor

It'll probably go the same way as Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair at this point.
This is one of my favourite movies, but I'm not sure I'd be able to stomach even more of it. It tried most people's patience towards the end as it is.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 87
RE: Django Unchained - 12/10/2013 3:09:22 AM   
adamthehorrorfan

I enjoyed it a lot. Tarantino proved that he still has it and brilliant acting off most of the cast.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 88
RE: Django Unchained - 30/12/2013 11:02:10 AM   
Onlythebassist

One of the best casts assembled to date, with the chemistry between the actors just flowing from the screen. I remember being extremely happy to see my favourite actor (Samuel L Jackson) back in a strong role, as well as everyone's favourite nouveau Tarantino-alumni member Christoph Waltz. Both play refined personas and flesh out what could have been a point-and-shoot flick with success. Contrary to many opinions, I believe Tarantino showed as much sensitivity as possible considering the subject area. In the Southern period piece genre, it's tough to sidestep the blatant racism without in turn being more at fault for whitewashing (literally) history.

Quentin's argument in interviews made sense: that the black population rarely had a hero in the western genre. This film definitely adds Django to the conversation with other iconic gunslingers.

As a final short and sweet point, the humour was spot on as always. Favourite lines in the whole movie being the 'positive' exchange between Django and Dr King Schultz.

SPOILER ALERT

Dr. King Schultz: You sure that's him?
Django: Yeah
Dr. King Schultz: Positive?
Django: I don't know
Dr. King Schultz: You don't know if you're positive?
Django: I don't know what positive mean
Dr. King Schultz: It means you're sure
Django: Yes
Dr. King Schultz: Yes what?
Django: Yes, I'm sure that's Ellis Brittle
Django: I'm positive he dead.

'You have my money taped to your tits, technically you do work for me' - Donnie, The Wolf of Wall Street, 2013

(in reply to adamthehorrorfan)
Post #: 89
RE: Django Unchained - 30/12/2013 11:08:47 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onlythebassist

Dr. King Schultz: You sure that's him?
Django: Yeah
Dr. King Schultz: Positive?
Django: I don't know
Dr. King Schultz: You don't know if you're positive?
Django: I don't know what positive mean
Dr. King Schultz: It means you're sure
Django: Yes
Dr. King Schultz: Yes what?
Django: Yes, I'm sure that's Ellis Brittle
Django: I'm positive he dead.

I love this exchange.

(in reply to Onlythebassist)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> RE: Django Unchained Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI