Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Django Unchained

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Django Unchained Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Django Unchained - 15/1/2013 10:12:01 PM   
Mister Coe

Is there no thread about this film already? Seriously? I know some of you buggers are already getting it by, ahem, 'alternative means', but NOBODY had posted anything yet? Or have I missed a thread?

For the record, I saw it completely legally. Honestly.

My opinion... it was awesome. Tarentino's best since PULP FICTION, and I loved INGLORIOUS BASTERDS! A great script, fantastic performances, plenty of nasty violence and some surprisingly funny moments. Excellent use of music, too.

I'd love to post a full-on critique, but I've got a really early start tomorrow, so can I just say that if you're going to the cinema this weekend, make sure it's DJANGO (the D is silent... don't embarass yourself at the box office...)

You won't regret it!

Say what now?
Post #: 1
RE: Django Unchained - 15/1/2013 10:19:39 PM   
Rgirvan44

I am not sure why you are surprised - a British film website won't really have much to talk about until it is released next weekend.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 2
RE: Django Unchained - 15/1/2013 11:38:51 PM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

I am not sure why you are surprised - a British film website won't really have much to talk about until it is released next weekend.

Sorry... but let's be honest, Rgirvan44, release dates don't mean much nowadays and quite a few people at my workplace have seen it already via, as I said, 'alternative means'. That's what the distributors get for not releasing films in different territories at the same time... I mean, DU could have come out on Boxing Day in the UK, not mid-January!

And I didn't spoil anything about the plot because I want everyone to come to this film fresh... it's so damn good.

Say what now?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 3
RE: Django Unchained - 15/1/2013 11:56:28 PM   
adambatman82

Yeah Girv, its the distributors fault for not releasing the film earlier! Fuck them!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 4
RE: Django Unchained - 15/1/2013 11:59:39 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mister Coe
Sorry... but let's be honest, Rgirvan44, release dates don't mean much nowadays and quite a few people at my workplace have seen it already via, as I said, 'alternative means'. not mid-January!

Why are you so afraid to say 'illegal download'? What's with 'alternative means'? If you're gonna go down that route then at least have the balls to not skirt around the issue! Wimp!

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 5
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:02:44 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

For the record, I saw it completely legally. Honestly.

LOL. I always feel the need to mention that I saw a film legally, honestly when I've seen a film legally and honestly.

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 16/1/2013 12:03:26 AM >

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 6
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:23:44 AM   
Mister Coe

Woah... was just trying to throw out a tongue-in-cheek, giving-a-cheeky-wink kind of vibe... because God knows, NOBODY else on the Internet gets hold of films by anything other than the regular means...

For the record, it's not something I make a habit of, but I've been dying to see DJANGO and when I was offered a pristine download ahead of it's official release... what can I say, I got excited and wanted to share how good I thought it was!

Say what now?

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 7
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:58:47 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

Woah... was just trying to throw out a tongue-in-cheek, giving-a-cheeky-wink kind of vibe... because God knows, NOBODY else on the Internet gets hold of films by anything other than the regular means...

As I've said above, it's the lack of balls which blows, if you'll pardon the expression. Download dodgy copies all you like, just don't pussy-foot around with the terminology.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 8
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:34:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

It's that time of year where the internet gets flooded with Oscar screeners of some of the bigger movies nominated for awards. I completely understand the temptation to download them, honestly. For example, my local cinema (the only one within a 2 hour radius) isn't showing half of the best picture nominees. From memory, Argo, Amour, Beasts (which is out on DVD anyway I think), ZDT (I think) and Silver Linings aren't getting released at my local. Hell, Amour isn't getting released in Oz until after the freaking Oscars so the temptation to acquire some of these films off the internet is strong, oh so strong.

Edit: Other films that I'd have to travel at least four hours for : The Master, The Sessions, The Impossible

< Message edited by scarface666brooksy!! -- 16/1/2013 1:38:20 AM >

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

Post #: 9
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:51:45 AM   
Mister Coe

adambatman82, can I refer you to the second paragraph of my last post?

Apologies for my lack of balls and bad use of terminology.

Say what now?

Post #: 10
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 5:09:33 AM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

It's that time of year where the internet gets flooded with Oscar screeners of some of the bigger movies nominated for awards. I completely understand the temptation to download them, honestly. For example, my local cinema (the only one within a 2 hour radius) isn't showing half of the best picture nominees. From memory, Argo, Amour, Beasts (which is out on DVD anyway I think), ZDT (I think) and Silver Linings aren't getting released at my local. Hell, Amour isn't getting released in Oz until after the freaking Oscars so the temptation to acquire some of these films off the internet is strong, oh so strong.

Edit: Other films that I'd have to travel at least four hours for : The Master, The Sessions, The Impossible

If you're unwilling/unable to travel four hours to see The Master, rethink your life.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 11
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 8:00:53 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

If you're unwilling/unable to travel four hours to see The Master, rethink your life.

I was definitely willing, but I was also unable

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 12
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 9:34:19 AM   
elab49

Just to put this back on track to Django - we do have quite a long thread discussing DL in Movie Musings (I think recently bumped specifically with a comment about the screeners available just now). 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 13
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 11:23:29 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

quote:

True fact: In total I travelled 672 miles to see The Master twice. Once for a press show, once for the 70mm.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 14
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:03:54 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

True fact: In total I travelled 672 miles to see The Master twice. Once for a press show, once for the 70mm.

I admire your commitment! If I had the money and time I definitely would have travelled

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Just to put this back on track to Django - we do have quite a long thread discussing DL in Movie Musings (I think recently bumped specifically with a comment about the screeners available just now).

I'll take my cue to leave then since I haven't seen the film this threads about

Post #: 15
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:34:34 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

quote:

I only managed a pitiful 503 miles (according to Google), but in my defence it also involved moving to England. This would be a good time to insert some kind of witticism based on our devotion to the film bordering on cult-like behaviour.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Post #: 16
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:38:32 PM   
elab49

Rather than ignore the request, stop de-railing the thread. Movie Musings please. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 17
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:49:17 PM   
Olaf

I'm not going to discuss a film I saw at the cinema twice in a thread about piracy though. And since Django Unchained isn't out yet, a discussion about a critically acclaimed, Oscar-nominated recent release from a widely respected American director is about as on-topic as it gets until the film comes out (especially since The Master doesn't have its own 'Favourite Films' thread).

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 18
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:52:45 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

I'm not going to discuss a film I saw at the cinema twice in a thread about piracy though. And since Django Unchained isn't out yet, a discussion about a critically acclaimed, Oscar-nominated recent release from a widely respected American director is about as on-topic as it gets until the film comes out (especially since The Master doesn't have its own 'Favourite Films' thread).

Well... here's your opportunity.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 19
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 12:57:49 PM   
elab49

quote:

Ah, my apologies. I didn't realise your absence from the site had made you confused about the 'New Post' button. Click out, click it, have a blast.

And we'll tidy up this thread for those who wish to keep it on-topic.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 20
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:21:09 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

quote:

Well... here's your opportunity.

You've misunderstood. My point was that there isn't a Favourite Films thread for the movie because presumably there isn't an interested audience to discuss it (this is the only opportunity I've had to talk about it outside of the short-lived review thread). It's sad for people like me who want to discuss the movie but I don't want to be wasting space with another thread with two posts or whatever.

And the precedent being set by this is kind of absurd, no? Will any references to films that are not Django Unchained be deleted from this thread? (even if they're related to the film - the discussion me/brooksy/adam were having was related to the difficulty in seeing some of this year's Oscar candidates, of which The Master and Django Unchained are two examples). A discussion can go off on a tangent and return to the main topic, you know, when the film is actually released.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 21
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:23:28 PM   
Olaf

PS I'm seeing this on Friday. I only recently got round to watching Inglourious Basterds and it revived my interest in Tarantino after hating Death Proof, so I'm quite excited.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 22
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:24:55 PM   
elab49

This isn't a precedent it's standard site rules. The first page of a FF thread about a new film has now been completely derailed. It's not a general discussion thread, a thread for another film (if no-one else wishes to discuss it in another thread why would they in here - if you feel lonely, try the review thread) or a complaints thread. Any further attempts to derail the thread will be removed. We'd prefer it if you heeded the request.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 23
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 1:42:36 PM   
Olaf

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

This isn't a precedent it's standard site rules. The first page of a FF thread about a new film has now been completely derailed.

Multiple posts about the thread being derailed have kind of contributed to said derailment. (jokes.)

quote:

It's not a general discussion thread,

It's a general Django Unchained thread. The topic we were discussing was related to Django Unchained. The references to The Master were because it related to that film for the same reason that the topic related to Django Unchained. See brooksy's initial post.

quote:

a thread for another film (if no-one else wishes to discuss it in another thread why would they in here - if you feel lonely, try the review thread)

I already mentioned that the review thread was dead as well so artificially starting a conversation there would be pointless. The Master was only discussed in relation to the (Django Unchained-related) topic raised above. If you want, I could discuss how both films appear to be interested in the American ideal of personal agency and how both films have a central male partnership also informed by an absent love interest - I think the thread can contain discussions of both where it's merited.

quote:

or a complaints thread.

quote:

Any further attempts to derail the thread will be removed. We'd prefer it if you heeded the request.

Fair enough, but I feel the only genuinely derailing posts are the ones where I've had to explain why my posts weren't derailment. If you delete this one, the previous one and your own posts, I'd imagine a perfectly organic discussion relating to the film would be able to develop once the film has been released.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 24
RE: Django Unchained - 16/1/2013 11:46:09 PM   
Mister Coe

As the guy who started the original thread, can I just post one last time...

I got hold of DJANGO UNCHAINED by illegal download (there.. adambatman82, I said it!) and I loved it. I knew a lot of people would be excited about seeing it the following weekend so I just wanted to throw a little message in there to add to the excitement. As I previously said, it's not something I usually do but, hey, I got offered a freebie when times were a bit tough and I took it. For the record, my planned Friday afternoon showing of DJANGO (which I will deffo be getting on Blu) will be replaced by a showing of something else... is LES MISERABLES any good?

I'm not sure how this thread got all about THE MASTER (excellent, by the way...) but it's all gone tits up. Can a Mod delete this thread so there can be a proper discussion of this brilliant film without all this crap?

Wow... does anyone wish they'd never posted something? You have to tread carefully on these boards, don't you...

Say what now?

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 25
RE: Django Unchained - 17/1/2013 12:00:32 AM   
Rgirvan44

So you aren't going to see Django in the cinema? A movie you actually like?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 26
RE: Django Unchained - 17/1/2013 12:41:13 AM   
Mister Coe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

So you aren't going to see Django in the cinema? A movie you actually like?

I might, if friends ask me, purely for the social aspect of it. But I'm also telling everyone I know what a great movie it is and you should see it at the cinema THIS WEEKEND!

I didn't go and see DREDD either, a film i was dying to see, but for the whole non-3D-showing thing, I didn't. I supported that movie by buying the Blu-Ray, loved it BTW. And I will do the same for DJANGO UNCHAINED.

Again... I don't download illegally (mainly because I'm a bit computer-illeterate and I'm worried about getting bugs on my laptop!), but if I'm offered a freebie, I might take it. I'm only human.

I think it might be time for me to back out of this forum, slowly, raising my hands in an open-palmed surrender gesture...

Say what now?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 27
RE: Django Unchained - 17/1/2013 8:10:16 AM   
Chronicle

Saw it on opening day yesterday and I must say it was awesome! I'm a big tarantino fan so I knew I was going to dig this.
The script is awesome and the performances are dazzling. And eventhough you have a lot of jokes, ridiculous ammounts of blood and the usage of the N-word every 3 seconds you still leave the place thinking how horrible slavery must have been.

Oh and the soundtrack ofc is great.

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 28
RE: Django Unchained - 17/1/2013 8:51:58 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

As the guy who started the original thread, can I just post one last time...

I got hold of DJANGO UNCHAINED by illegal download (there.. adambatman82, I said it!) and I loved it. I knew a lot of people would be excited about seeing it the following weekend so I just wanted to throw a little message in there to add to the excitement. As I previously said, it's not something I usually do but, hey, I got offered a freebie when times were a bit tough and I took it. For the record, my planned Friday afternoon showing of DJANGO (which I will deffo be getting on Blu) will be replaced by a showing of something else... is LES MISERABLES any good?

I'm not sure how this thread got all about THE MASTER (excellent, by the way...) but it's all gone tits up. Can a Mod delete this thread so there can be a proper discussion of this brilliant film without all this crap?

Wow... does anyone wish they'd never posted something? You have to tread carefully on these boards, don't you...

Why should you post one last time? You can post as often as you like and don't be afraid to speak your mind !

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Mister Coe)
Post #: 29
RE: Django Unchained - 17/1/2013 2:26:36 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

quote:

Boys and girls, this is the difference between a 'nerd' and a 'geek'...

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Favourite Films >> Django Unchained Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI