Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: So Armstrong admits he doped

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: So Armstrong admits he doped Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 3:13:58 PM   
James2183

It should have been someone who doesn't cosy up to celebrities that did the interview. Katie Couric, heck, even Piers Morgan

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 31
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 3:17:53 PM   
elab49

I guess they assumed that if Oprah would do the Kardashians she'd sunk low enough to interview anyone.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 32
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 3:24:48 PM   
James2183

She came across as just trying to keep them calm and relaxed rather than being a proper interview.

He doesn't deserve that.

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 33
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 7:04:19 PM   
Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

She came across as just trying to keep them calm and relaxed rather than being a proper interview.

He doesn't deserve that.

Actually, no one, including him, deserves the vitriol the media usually sprays.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 34
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 8:18:45 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Squidward Hark Bugle

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

He doesn't deserve that.

Actually, no one, including him, deserves the vitriol the media usually sprays.

Really? Listen to this and say the same: http://www.balls.ie/news/a-very-emotional-david-walsh-bbc-interview-further-exposes-the-utter-vileness-of-lance-armstrong/#sthash.uHPJV0EH.dpbs

Vile scum who deserves everything coming to him.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Squidward Hark Bugle)
Post #: 35
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 9:30:21 PM   
sanchia

quote:

The strongest reaction in the immediate aftermath of the interview came from Betsy Andreu, the wife of a former Armstrong teammate, Frankie Andreu. She testified at an insurance arbitration that she heard Armstrong, while under cancer treatment, outline the performance-enhancing drugs he had used. Armstrong responded with vicious and personal attacks on her, often calling her crazy. In Thursday’s broadcast he did not confirm that her testimony had, in fact, been true, nor did he offer an explicit apology for his attacks.

“He owed it to me,” Betsy Andreu said on CNN’s “Anderson Cooper 360” after the Armstrong interview. “You owed it to me, Lance, and you dropped the ball. After what you’ve done to me and what you’ve done to my family, and you couldn’t own up to it?”

An earlier target of Armstrong’s bullying was similarly unimpressed. Christophe Bassons was the only member of the Festina team to be cleared by the investigation that followed a series of police raids that almost brought the 1998 Tour de France to a close. He quit the Tour the next year after Armstrong made vague threats to him for speaking out against doping during the race. Armstrong then went on to win the first of his seven performance-enhanced Tours.

Armstrong has destroyed reputations and he has destroyed careers based on people making accusations against him which he has now admitted were true. His actions were horrific and he is rightly being vilified for being a truly hideous human being. Now that his own actions have come back to haunt him he is making himself out as a victim but people are simply pointing out what he actually did (and now admitted to doing), lied about doing continuously and terribly attacked and bullied people in the past for exposing.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 36
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 18/1/2013 9:38:25 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

According to the Beeb he's partly blaming his winner take all attitude on cancer.

But the story above notes that one legal case also involved someone overhearing him telling his doctors when diagnosed he was already taking the drugs?

If you're going to try and get some decent apology PR should you not make sure your apology story stacks up?

I'm no psychiatrist, so I don't know how to put this. But I think he has an mindset that shapes the world around him to fit what he wants. When I was a kid, we'd have called it a bit of a mentalist, but I'm sure in these enlightened times there is a word for it. Anyway, I'm not quite sure that he views the world in a way that you or I would and I don't just think that is the drugs talking, or some post-event rationalisation exercise.

I'm no psychiatrist either but I'd say that's sociopathy...it's impossible to believe a word that comes out of his mouth. So we're supposed to believe everything he says now? Name names. There's no way that those in charge of his teams, the doping agencies or even the IOC are completely clean in this. This doping racket was not as sophisticated as it has been made out to be. There has to be compliance in authority somewhere.

It's one thing to deny, deny and deny some more then only admit it later when the evidence is overwhelming. What he did was attack those who questioned him and discredit, lie and even get damages from them.

It's a purely manufactured apology and saying he's sorry is only for his own sake, and his conscience, and I think he's only saying the minimum amount he can without risking any real comeback. It may get to a point where he will be held accountable, legally, but then there's a suggestion that if he were to name names, his lifetime ban could be lifted etc.

EDIT: UCI not IOC

< Message edited by Skiba -- 19/1/2013 10:22:55 AM >

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 37
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 9:06:58 AM   
sanchia

Having seen the reports today where he states he wants to compete again. All the body language and the manner in which he presents the statements, to me, suggest no contrition at all. The only reason he is doing this is to attempt to gain sympathy (something I believe he has failed to elicit). Also from the way he has been pointed out as someone who essentially forced people to dope or get thrown out of the team (as the many people have given evidence that he did) he cannot seem to understand that this is the reason he has been hit harder by the authorities. Also he raised himself up as a paragon of the sport, which these others had not attempted to do for themselves, and revelled in that adulation as essentially a hero of the sport. As such of course he is going to be reviled at a greater level when shown to be one of the great villains of the piece.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 38
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 9:15:50 AM   
Keyser Sozzled

The first part of the interview was interesting enough and like most right minded people I don't believe a word he says in terms of the apology. Oprah did ok, but I was amazed she didn't bring up the alleged donation of $1m dollars made by Armstrong to the UCI.

There have been a number of different versions of what happened and now he is just saying it never happened. Even though IIRC the UCI admitted it some time ago. Now call me a cynic but the biggest drug cheat in the history of the sport paying $1m to the governing body when they are apparently on their uppers?.................the allegation has always been that he made the one and only positive test disappear.

Also really looking forward to his full honest genuine apology to Betsty Andreu, David Walsh, Paul Kimmage and all the riders he bullied over the years.

No, I'm not holding my breath either......

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 39
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 11:30:43 AM   
Super Hans

I haven't watched any of the interviews but have been reading the extracts/reports on it. All a bit odd. So he vehemently denies it for years. Then even when the USADA report was published, he solidly denied it. I mean I had my suspicions about the report - essentially they coaxed testimonies out of his cohorts by giving them a shorter ban rather than banning them forever and ever and ever....not that I'm seriously comparing to information gained through torture, but one does wonder what people will say to not lose their livelihood completely!

2 or 3 months later, he's on bloody Oprah admitting to absolutely anything he can? Very very odd. He's probably still like 'I still know I didn't do it..' inside, just saying all that to try and get the ban lifted. If it doesn't work, I reckon I could come to regret not putting him on my deadpool list this year.

I did read an article in the Independent a few weeks back (annoyingly I can't find it online now) when the first hints that a confession was on the way that it conveniently coincided with it being 7 years pretty much to the day since a court case where he swore under oath he never doped. Apparently within that time he could have been done for perjury on that case but not now. I'm sure I read that right, but seemed a bit odd to me, I didn't know perjury had a use by date!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 40
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 12:19:52 PM   
Skiba

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

I haven't watched any of the interviews but have been reading the extracts/reports on it. All a bit odd. So he vehemently denies it for years. Then even when the USADA report was published, he solidly denied it. I mean I had my suspicions about the report - essentially they coaxed testimonies out of his cohorts by giving them a shorter ban rather than banning them forever and ever and ever....not that I'm seriously comparing to information gained through torture, but one does wonder what people will say to not lose their livelihood completely!

2 or 3 months later, he's on bloody Oprah admitting to absolutely anything he can? Very very odd. He's probably still like 'I still know I didn't do it..' inside, just saying all that to try and get the ban lifted. If it doesn't work, I reckon I could come to regret not putting him on my deadpool list this year.

I did read an article in the Independent a few weeks back (annoyingly I can't find it online now) when the first hints that a confession was on the way that it conveniently coincided with it being 7 years pretty much to the day since a court case where he swore under oath he never doped. Apparently within that time he could have been done for perjury on that case but not now. I'm sure I read that right, but seemed a bit odd to me, I didn't know perjury had a use by date!

They were talking about that on 5iveLive yesterday...apparently, if the Department of Justice (or whoever it is in their many levels of law) really wanted to go after him they could, regardless of the amount of time passed.

Have a good time, all the time.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 41
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 12:39:54 PM   
sanchia

I think what is probably the worst thing this story has revealed is not the whole drug cheat thing but the discovery of what an unpleasant human being he appear to be. A lot of the stories which have been around for years but never covered, from varied and unconnected sources, which have shown he has been quite monstrous in his dealings with other people. That is probably the thing which has destroyed his image even more than the drug scandal.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Skiba)
Post #: 42
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 19/1/2013 12:53:41 PM   
Hood_Man

quote:

ORIGINAL: Professor Moriarty
I'm no psychiatrist, so I don't know how to put this. But I think he has an mindset that shapes the world around him to fit what he wants. When I was a kid, we'd have called it a bit of a mentalist, but I'm sure in these enlightened times there is a word for it. Anyway, I'm not quite sure that he views the world in a way that you or I would and I don't just think that is the drugs talking, or some post-event rationalisation exercise.

I've heard this before as well.

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 43
RE: So Armstrong admits he doped - 21/1/2013 9:25:22 PM   
sanchia

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: So Armstrong admits he doped Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI