Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Supplements: effective? Unnecessary?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 6:54:59 PM   
Sway

Unfortunately I received bad news on Friday and am going to have life-changing surgery soon. Obviously struggling with things just now and naturally my parents are trying their best to support me.

My mum has just come into my room to pass on some supplements she believes will help with the consequences that this surgery is going to have. I've personally never had time for any supplements, believing that I can get all the nutrients and goodness my body needs from a balanced diet. But I don't want to dismiss her/them off hand without hearing from others first.

Does anybody have any experience with supplements actually making a difference to various ailments? Or are there people who think more along the lines of my own thoughts?

Would genuinely love to hear experiences and thoughts here.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

Post #: 1
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 8:52:38 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I've taken supplements for iron and also a multivitamin supplement - the iron supplement was on the recommendation of my doctor because I had mild anemia that was actually diagnosed, the multivit I just started taking because I thought it would do me good to get a top-up on anything I was lacking in. Needless to say, the iron supplement was the one that gave me a feeling of any benefit. I reckon that unless it's showing up in blood tests etc as something you need more of, your need for a particular nutrient is likely to be taken care of by just eating right. You can always ask your doctor for advice - I've found self-diagnosis and playing pot luck with supplements is a route to madness.

Sorry to hear about your news Sway, good luck with your surgery.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 2
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 9:47:21 PM   
superdan

From what I understand, and there's every chance I'm wrong so take this with a pinch of salt (not literally - bad supplements usually, pinches of salt), multivitimins are of uncertain benefit, and since the body can't store vitimins overusing them may actually do more harm than good. However some supplements (as Larry says) can be of much greater benefit for certain conditions/complaints (iron for anaemia, calcium for osteo, omega3/fish oil for heart disease etc). My nan used to take calcium tablets and she said they really helped her osteo, so it's certainly worth asking your consultant about, because it might well be helpful.

And sorry to hear about that sway, you've had a right rough time of it lately. Hope all goes well, here's a picture to cheer you up:

< Message edited by superdan -- 14/1/2013 9:48:06 PM >

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 3
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 10:05:08 PM   
elab49

I'm so sorry Sway. I hope the surgery is prompt and successful.

I'd be wary of taking absolutely anything without discussing it with a doctor, especially if you're likely to be taking other medication. Vitamin supplements are so often unnecesary, and may not be useful specifically to you. Homeopathy rubbish, bin it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 4
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 10:56:43 PM   
Sway

Thanks all (especially for the Tom Hardy pic) for the answers.

I had a quick look online on the subject, as well as specifically looking at the ones my mum was suggesting I should take as she swears by them, and so far all I keep reading is that these kind of things 'may' be effective for certain things. But there's no real medical proof. My own feelings are that it's mostly a placebo effect.

Certainly I understand there would be benefits in situations such as Larry's, whereby you were actively lacking in a certain element and therefore the doctor recommended taking something to remedy it. No question about that being effective at all.

I'll definitely be discussing things with my doctor too - I have another hospital appt on Wednesday - before I decide to take anything, but thought it would be interesting to hear if anybody had experiences with something they'd swear by.

I'm a bit sceptical about a lot of it. But obviously I want to keep my options open particularly for after my surgery, as life isn't going to be easy then.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 5
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 11:00:42 PM   
elab49

That's all they get away with really.

As the comedian said - if it worked it'd be called medicine and we'd be prescribing it. Good timing too - I've just been reading Jaggy Splinters (Brookmyre) which starts with a short story really enjoying laying into homeopathy.

Also - Bad Science is a great read

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 6
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 14/1/2013 11:13:02 PM   
sharkboy

Not much to add to what's been said here already. If you need a particular vitamin or mineral that your body isn't making enough of, or that your diet isn't likely to provide, then, yes, supplements may be helpful. Taking them when you don't need them does nothing more than (to paraphrase Sheldon Cooper) give you really expensive urine.

Aso, elab is right - homeopathy is quackery of the highest form. Sugar pills and water, nothing more. Any benefit at all is nothing but placebo (That is a great story in Jaggy Splinters too - loved it!)

Anyway, I'm very sorry to hear that you're facing health problems and whatever they are I hope they are quickly behind you and you can get on with leading a full and healthy life. Here's to a successful op and a full and speedy recovery!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 7
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 12:27:58 PM   
gingerdaniel

My Spaniel tore the ligaments in her rear legs which caused her to limp horribly and move slowly, she's only 3.
She's fairly healed up now, but we give her supplements for her joints, it's obvious when we've missed them for a few days, i dont think she understands the placebo effect! So yea, they're worth it.

I did used to take berocca to see if it made any difference to me, i found it horrible to taste unless it was in a pint of water. Turns out a pint of water in the morning refreshes you just as well, so i skip the berocca part!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 8
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 12:28:41 PM   
gingerdaniel

Oh yea...

Do you know what they call Alternative Medicine that works?

Medicine!

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 9
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 2:03:39 PM   
elab49

Aren't there two kinds of supplements though? Vitamins/minerals etc where there is a known effect (which may not always be therepeutic so needs to be checked) and homeopathic conjob memory water?

The first would be 'check with dr'.

The second depends on how much you feel you need to be polite to the person offering them.

quote:

Post #: 10
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 2:04:17 PM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Oh yea...

Medicine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

quote:

Post #: 11
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 3:14:38 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Aren't there two kinds of supplements though? Vitamins/minerals etc where there is a known effect (which may not always be therepeutic so needs to be checked) and homeopathic conjob memory water?

The first would be 'check with dr'.

The second depends on how much you feel you need to be polite to the person offering them.

The "may not always be therapeutic" statement is worth repeating.  If your body doesn't need the additional vitamins, then it will simply flush them away in your urine with little or no ill effects.  However, if taken in excess, certain vitamins and minerals can build up in your liver, leading to toxicity.

As for the homepathic "remedies", I feel no obligation to be polite to someone who thinks that hyper-dilution and succussion can somehow change the fundamental nature of a property

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 12
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 3:20:37 PM   
elab49

One of the senior people in my work started a sentence with 'I don't know how you feel about homeopathy' in the context of being about to recommend something to me. I shut it down immediately, but in that context I was more polite than the suggestion deserved.

It was odd as well - I'm sure they've heard my opinion on the money wasted on the Homeopathic Hospital in Glasgow.

quote:

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 13
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 4:28:32 PM   
Sway

I had another appointment at the hospital today to discuss the extent of the surgery and in discussing all the issues surrounding it I completely forgot to ask about supplements. But honestly I don't think I would have wanted to, given the seriousness of the general conversation.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 14
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 4:51:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway
I had another appointment at the hospital today to discuss the extent of the surgery and in discussing all the issues surrounding it I completely forgot to ask about supplements. But honestly I don't think I would have wanted to, given the seriousness of the general conversation.

Doesn't sound good. I hope you get the necessary treatment pretty rapid and it makes you better.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 15
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 4:53:44 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sway

Doesn't sound good. I hope you get the necessary treatment pretty rapid and it makes you better.

Thanks. It's been a hard weekend for me and my family, but there's not much I can do to change facts, so after several days of locking myself away and crying constantly, I think it's time I try to focus on positives so I can get through it all.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 16
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 4:57:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Sorry to hear that after everything you have been through you got bad news . I hope that the surgery helps you to lead a vastly improved and healthy future

I don't take any supplements at all. I personally don't believe they make that much of a difference but that's me

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 17
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 5:31:04 PM   
Hood_Man

I take cod liver oil, and it has other multivitamins in it etc. Partially to help the old brain cells but also because it apparently helps fight off the black dog, which can only be a good thing.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 18
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 6:14:34 PM   
superdan

Homeopathy is a load of old bobbins. Whenever I meet someone who is in to it I tell them I've got some magic beans to sell them. They never find it amusing, unsurprisingly.

Good luck with the surgery Sway, hope you're on the mend soon. Have a hug:

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 19
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 6:47:45 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: superdan

Homeopathy is a load of old bobbins. Whenever I meet someone who is in to it I tell them I've got some magic beans to sell them. They never find it amusing, unsurprisingly.

Good luck with the surgery Sway, hope you're on the mend soon. Have a hug:

There's been few things that have made me smile over the past 5 days, but that one got me. So thanks for the that! And thanks for the support.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 20
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 10:04:15 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

Oh yea...

Medicine!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U

Can't say I've seen that, I'm not a minchin fan.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 21
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 16/1/2013 10:16:28 PM   
elab49

It was just such a coincidence - you saying that and I'd just been watching the short. Not that he's the first to use it I know 

quote:

Post #: 22
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 17/1/2013 11:14:36 AM   
Rebenectomy

Plenty of doctor's will prescribe supplements if they are deemed necessary, so talk to your doctor first. If your procedure is going to leave your body producing less of this or that, get a script and you'll not have to fork out yourself. More specific supplements (and even some herbal teas) are effective and shouldn't be lumped in with your generic supermarket Multivitamins, so I'd say keep an open mind.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 23
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 9:57:53 AM   
shool

I just wanted to say really sorry to hear about your news. Hoping treatments go as good as they possibly can do.

Sincere best wishes.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 24
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 11:58:59 AM   
Chief

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 25
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 12:09:08 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Not sure I should be asking what he's holding

Lovely pic though

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 26
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 12:39:33 PM   
Chief

A steak baguette!

http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=2027891&mpage=269

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 27
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 12:42:32 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I actually love you for this. Two of my favourite things in the world, ever.

On a serious note, thanks to all for the best wishes and support. The past week has been awful. I honestly spent about 5 days straight in my bed crying until I could cry no more. The only thing that was getting me through was all the messages with support and encouragement from friends and family. So things like this make me smile and help me along my way.

And I am reading and taking note of everybody's opinions and experiences with supplements. If I thought anything could help me after surgery I'd be willing to give it a go.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 28
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 12:42:47 PM   
shool

He is of course wearing white Butlers gloves too just off picture.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 29
RE: Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? - 18/1/2013 12:59:44 PM   
Sway

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

He is of course wearing white Butlers gloves too just off picture.

As long as that's the only thing he's wearing!

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Off Topic >> Supplements: effective? Unnecessary? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI