Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 15/2/2013 12:06:27 PM   
MonsterCat

Shit, I thought The Presidents disbanded way before 2008.

Yay for Deftones and QOTSA.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 61
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 15/2/2013 12:09:35 PM   
AxlReznor

Yeah, the Presidents are kind of one-hit wonders in a way. I only found out they were still going because I have friends in Seattle.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 62
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 15/2/2013 12:12:42 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxlReznor

Yeah, the Presidents are kind of one-hit wonders in a way. I only found out they were still going because I have friends in Seattle.

Over here they were two hit wonders.

Lump and Peaches both made it into the Top 5 if I remember correctly.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 63
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 17/2/2013 1:51:32 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Tommy is my favourite Who album. It's great but I actually prefer the film versions of the songs.

Agree about the cover for Sheer Heart Attack, amazingly good album though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 64
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 18/2/2013 11:41:06 AM   
AxlReznor

216) Korn - Follow The Leader (1998)

Korn, and the genre of nu-metal hit their commercial peak in 1998 with the success of 'Follow The Leader', with the final single from the band, 'Freak On A Leash' becoming the band's best-known song to this day. 'All In The Family' is one of the few tracks to feature Fred Durst that I'm able to listen to, and the dig at the media pitching Limp Bizkit and Korn against each other as rivals is great. The iconic cover was drawn by current Batman artist, Greg Capullo. I only found this out last week.
Best Songs: It's On!; Freak On A Leash; Dead Bodies Everywhere

215) Marilyn Manson - Portrait Of An American Family (1994)

'Portrait Of An American Family' is the Trent Reznor produced debut album from the legendary "shock rocker". Opening with a creepy rendition of the poem recited by Willy Wonka during the boat ride scene in Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory, the album truly kicks off with the exclamation of 'I am the God Of Fuck' in the intro of 'Cake And Sodomy'. It was obvious that Manson had more to say than this, which sounds a lot like a White Zombie album, but as a statement of intent, it's pretty impressive.
Best Songs: Lunchbox; Cake And Sodomy; Misery Machine

214) Ozzy Osbourne - Diary Of A Madman (1981)

Ozzy Osbourne's second solo album. A few months after its release, whilst Ozzy and his band were on tour, guitarist Randy Rhoads was killed in a plane crash. Out of everything bad about the situation, the least important is that Ozzy's music floundered for years from this point on, and didn't really get back on track until the discovery of Zakk Wylde.
Best Songs: Over The Mountain; Diary Of A Madman

213) Nightwish - Wishmaster (2000)

Nightwish's first two albums were the work of a speed metal band who incorporated classical musical elements. It wasn't until 2000's 'Wishmaster' that the band's unique sound really began to take shape, with the speed and heavy sound being replaced with a more atmospheric and melodic one. The subject matter is mostly the usual European metal fare, with lyrics based on fantasy novels including Lord Of The Rings and Dragonlance. By the time their next full length album was released, the band's sound would be complete.
Best Songs: She Is My Sin; Dead Boy's Poem

212) My Chemical Romance - Danger Days: The True Lives Of The Fabulous Killjoys (2010)

After 'The Black Parade' got them pigeonholed into the "emo" subgenre, My Chemical Romance released this album, which is just insane. Anyone who's seen the video for lead single 'Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na)' - featuring comic book writing legend Grant Morisson - knows just how far and away from emo this album is. My personal favourite track, though, is 'Party Poison', featuring crazy Japanese news report style spoken word vocals from Airi Isoda in between verses.
Best Songs: Na Na Na (Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na); SING; Party Poison

211) Black Label Society - Order Of The Black (2010)

So far, this is Black Label Society's last full length release of all original material, and if it turns out that they don't release anything else, then I can't imagine people would be upset with the swansong. Easily the best album in BLS's catalogue.
Best Songs: Crazy Horse; Overlord; Godspeed Hellbound

210) Kyuss - Welcome To Sky Valley (1994)

The third and best album from the California stoner rockers. By this point, bass player Nick Oliveri had left the band and been replaced by Scott Reeder.
Best Songs: Gardenia; Demon Cleaner

209) Elton John - Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy (1975)

Elton John's ninth studio album, and the last for a few years to feature his "classic" backing band featuring Davey Johnstone, Dee Murray, Nigel Olsson, and Ray Cooper.
Best Songs: Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy; Someone Saved My Life Tonight

208) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd (1973)

The debut album from the legendary Southern rockers is very helpful for people who didn't know how to pronounce their bizarre spelt name. With this album, the band set the benchmark for every band of a similar style to meet, and to date they are the only band that have met it. When most people think of this album, they think of 'Free Bird', but I'm more partial to 'Tuesday's Gone' and 'Simple Man', myself.
Best Songs: Tuesday's Gone; Simple Man

207) Black Sabbath - Sabotage (1975)

By this point in Sabbath's career, the cracks between Tony Iommi and Ozzy Osbourne were beginning to show, but at the moment it wasn't enough to prevent them from releasing a great album.
Best Songs: Symptom Of The Universe; Am I Going Insane (Radio)

206) The Jacksons - Destiny (1978)

After finally being released from their highly restrictive contract with Motown (which among other things, prevented the group from writing their own material), The Jacksons signed to Epic and released the self-produced 'Destiny' - the album that would end up saving their then flagging career. The singles 'Blame It On The Boogie', and 'Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)' became massive hits that still receive regular rotation today. It was still obvious that Michael was the true star, and he was anxious to go solo full-time.
Best Songs: Blame It On The Boogie; Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground)

205) Kanye West - The College Dropout (2004)

When this album was released in 2004, after years of attempting to get his career of the ground only to be told he couldn't rap, Kanye West finally managed to turn the world of hip hop on its head. Far more melodic and soulful than most rappers, his production style was previously showcased on recordings by Jay-Z, but it fits better with West's voice. Since then, he hasn't quite managed to live up to the promise shown on this fantastic debut, and his ego has just kept on growing out of all control, but 'Jesus Walks' on its own I believe is reason to at least give the man some credit.
Best Songs: All Falls Down; Jesus Walks; School Spirit

204) Robbie Williams - Escapology (2002)

Released at the peak of Williams' solo success, 'Escapology' marked the moment where he began taking risks with his music. Along with the pop songs meant to be released as singles for mass consumption, the album is also littered with some moments where he embraced his love of rock music fully. It received mixed reviews, but it's my favourite of his albums, and after this point his output went rapidly downhill.
Best Songs: Sexed Up; Me & My Monkey; Cursed

203) Within Temptation - The Unforgiving (2011)

Within Temptation's 'The Unforgiving' is part of a multimedia project that also includes a comic book series, and a series of short films that expand upon themes and characters from the music on the album. I haven't had a chance to check those out yet, but thankfully the music doesn't seem to have suffered from the band's multi-tiered approach to telling this story.
Best Songs: Shot In The Dark; Sinead; Lost

202) Amanda Palmer & The Grand Theft Orchestra - Theatre Is Evil (2012)

After a few years of releasing novelty records as a way of both celebrating the fact that free from a record label she could now do what she wants, and to give her time to figure out what she wanted to do, last year finally saw the release of Amanda Palmer's first "proper" independent album. Paying for the recording of the album entirely with her own money, she then made history with her Kickstarter campaign which helped her with her plans to give the album a full, high-profile release. A request for $100,000 ended up raising over $1,000,000. For some reason, there was a lot of vitriol being thrown her way for this, but as far as I'm concerned the fact that she managed to entirely record, market, release and tour behind her album whilst still retaining 100% artistic control over each aspect of it because she didn't rely on a record label, and that's something that all artists should be aspiring to. It helps that the actual music is actually of great quality, too... an ode to her favourite pop music of the 80's, the record often bears some similarity to The Killers, except it's superior. I'd still admire this album even if I hated it, but luckily, I love it.
Best Songs: Do It With A Rockstar; Melody Dean; Berlin

201) Aerosmith - Draw The Line (1977)

Aerosmith's fifth album was the last great thing they did before briefly going off the rails spectacularly towards the end of the decade. Luckily they managed to pick themselves up and become re-established as purveyors of anthemic stadium rock, but according to many fans of the band's 70's material (and guitarist Joe Perry himself), this was the end of Aerosmith's classic period.
Best Songs: Draw The Line; Critical Mass

200) Deep Purple - Machine Head (1972)

Known throughout the world as "the album with 'Smoke On The Water' on it", 'Machine Head' is actually a great album all-round, despite being only seven tracks long.
Best Song: Space Truckin'

199) The Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks (1977)

The controversial album that somehow became the centre of the punk rock craze of 1977. The Sex Pistols were basically a punk rock boy band formed by Malcolm McLaren as a way to advertise the clothing designed by himself and Vivienne Westwood whose entire career was a carefully calculated publicity stunt. I still maintain that they are the very antithesis of the anti-corporate message that punk rock of the time was about, Sid Vicious was an absolute joke, only ever actually learning to play one song with Glen Matlock and guitarist Steve Jones having to play bass on all other tracks,and I really can't take their post-Pistols careers seriously (with the exception of Jones). But this album, the only studio album that they ever completed (though other tracks, demo's and rough cuts have been included on countless compilations) is undeniably a great listen. I'm glad that Virgin finally released it after the band were signed and then rejected by both EMI and A&M, as without them we'd have missed out on some absolute classics.
Best Songs: Bodies; Anarchy In The U.K.; Pretty Vacant

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 65
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 18/2/2013 1:05:32 PM   
MonsterCat

Based on this thread I dug out my CD of the first Presidents album after not having listened to it in a dog's age.

There's some pretty inspired lyricism in there, the musicianship is impressive at times, and Lump and Peaches are catchy as fuck. But it tails off a little bit and the end and feels a little bit slap-dash. Fun record, though. A high end 3/5 album.

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 66
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 18/2/2013 2:40:00 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

Paying for the recording of the album entirely with her own money, she then made history with her Kickstarter campaign which helped her with her plans to give the album a full, high-profile release. A request for $100,000 ended up raising over $1,000,000. For some reason, there was a lot of vitriol being thrown her way for this

I think it was because she had raised a million dollars but was still asking amateur musician fans to tour with her for free ("for beer and hugs", I think was her exact wording) instead of paying proper working musicians. If I remember rightly, she grumbled a bit about shifting funds reserved for music video production and started actually paying them after the criticism came out.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 67
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 18/2/2013 2:46:37 PM   
AxlReznor

That made no sense to me, either, though. If the people who volunteered didn't want to do it without getting paid, they didn't have to volunteer. It's not like she said "come play with my band" and then only hit them with "for FREE!" later. She likes to include her fans in things, and making her fans part of the show must've been one of those things that sounded like a good idea at the time. Now if everyone turned around and said "fuck you, we wanna get paid!" and she still insisted on doing it, that would have been a different matter.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 68
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 18/2/2013 4:49:30 PM   
Larry of Arabia

quote:

That made no sense to me, either, though. If the people who volunteered didn't want to do it without getting paid, they didn't have to volunteer. It's not like she said "come play with my band" and then only hit them with "for FREE!" later.

The people who volunteered weren't the people complaining, it was professional musicians who potentially lost out on work that were complaining. They thought someone with a million dollars should be able to pay musicians who need gigs like that to make a living.

quote:

She likes to include her fans in things, and making her fans part of the show must've been one of those things that sounded like a good idea at the time. Now if everyone turned around and said "fuck you, we wanna get paid!" and she still insisted on doing it, that would have been a different matter.

She said she basically had no money to pay for an orchestra so she had no choice whether or not to ask people to do it for free (something she eventually backtracked on), so I'm not sure including her fans was the main reason for asking people to do it for nothing.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 69
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 19/2/2013 11:57:05 AM   
AxlReznor

198) Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (2005)

After an extended period away in which Trent Reznor dealt with his alcoholism and cocaine addiction, Nine Inch Nails returned beginning what would become something of a second renaissance for them. As is tradition with NIN records, most of the music is handled by Reznor, with only additional programming from longtime collaborator Atticus Ross, and in a departure from most albums, live drums on most of the record handled by touring member Jerome Dillon on one track, and the legendary Dave Grohl on a further seven. The industrial metal can still be heard, but the back to basics approach means that it's actually the most commercially accessible NIN album since the 1989 debut, 'Pretty Hate Machine'.
Best Songs: The Collector; The Hand That Feeds; Sunspots

197) Queen - A Kind Of Magic (1986)

In 2013, the soundtrack to Highlander is the only thing about that film that still holds up - I was a huge fan when I was kid. It's probably the most cheesy that Queen ever got, but Queen cheese is infinitely preferable to say, Warrant cheese. And it's far better than the godawful 'Flash Gordon' soundtrack.
Best Songs: One Vision; Who Wants To Live Forever

196) Black Sabbath - Mob Rules (1981)

The second Black Sabbath album to not feature Ozzy Osbourne, this would be his replacement Ronnie James Dio's last contribution to a Sabbath record for over a decade. Another change is Vinny Appice replacing Bill Ward on drums. So far, it's the last great Sabbath album, though hopefully that will change in June.
Best Songs: Turn Up The Night; The Sign Of The Southern Cross

195) Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden (1980)

The debut album from the legendary metal band. Maiden had yet to cement what would become their trademark sound, due largely to the fact that Bruce Dickinson had not yet joined the band. Instead, vocals were handled by Paul Di'Anno, whose approach was far more punky than the air raid siren operatic Dickinson. I actually mostly prefer this earlier sound, with the exception of one album.
Best Songs: Running Free; Phantom Of The Opera

194) Serj Tankian - Elect The Dead (2007)

System Of A Down vocalist Serj Tankian's debut solo album, in which he eschews that insane schizo-metal of the band that made him famous in favour of a more melodic sound. Of particular note is Tankian's piano-playing that receives a showcase throughout the record. Drums were mostly played by former Primus and Guns N' Roses drummer, Brain, though SOAD's John Dolmayan does make an appearance too.
Best Songs: Empty Walls; Saving Us; Lie Lie Lie

193) Queen - News Of The World (1977)

The album that spawned two songs that have been haunting sporting events ever since ('We Will Rock You' and 'We Are The Champions'). This marked a shift away from the heavier hard rock of their early albums towards a more commercial sound.
Best Songs: We Are The Champions; Get Down, Make Love

192) Stone Temple Pilots - Core (1992)

The song 'Plush' on this album features vocals that are eerily reminiscent of Eddie Vedder. That one song was enough to have Stone Temple Pilots unfairly marked as "Pearl Jam rip-offs" and derided for the entirety of their career. The rest of this album, and their releases since then are enough to more than prove that STP are a very different band to Pearl Jam in almost every way. In fact, if at this point they bore any resemblance to a Seattle band, it would have been Alice In Chains, as at the time Weiland and Staley looked, moved and sounded just like each other. But even then, labelling them as rip-offs would be unfair. The early 1990's are one of my favourite times for music, and this is one of the best albums from that era.
Best Songs: Sex Type Thing; Creep; Crackerman

191) Screaming Trees - Uncle Anesthesia (1991)

This is another of the strongest albums from that era. This album - co-produced with legendary producer Terry Date, and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell - is the closest that the Screaming Trees ever came to breaking through to the mainstream. And for good reason, too, as it has remained their - and Mark Lanegan's - finest moment.
Best Songs: Beyond The Horizon; Before We Arise; Ocean Of Confusion

190) Ron Thal - Hermit (1997)

Ron Thal's second album followed on from the instrumental guitar virtuoso release, 'The Adventures Of Bumblefoot'. Ron however never considered himself to be that kind of guitarist, and pushed to allow his second album to include vocals and genuine songwriting rather than just guitar wankery. His attitude to people who just seem to play fast for the sake of it can be heard on 'I Can't Play The Blues'... "I got no feel, I got no emotion/My riffs aren't real, I just go through the motions/I'm fulla trick and trinkets that I always use/I ain't got much choice, I can't play the blues". Of course, that song ends with a blues-based riff just to prove that yes, he in fact can play the blues. That sense of humour can be found throughout Ron/Bumblefoot's career, but there also far more serious, grungy sounding tracks like 'Zero' and 'Freak'.
Best Songs: Zero; Freak; I Can't Play The Blues

189) Deftones - Around The Fur (1997)

'Adrenaline' was an impressive debut by the Deftones, but it was 'Around The Fur' that really showed what they were capable of. 'Headup', written and performed with Sepultura/Soulfly frontman Max Cavalera was written as a way of dealing with the loss of Chino Moreno's friend and Max's step-son. It's 'My Own Summer (Shove It)', though, that will be the most remembered song from this record.
Best Songs: My Own Summer (Shove It); Headup

188) Alice In Chains - Sap (1992)

Released a few months before the classic 'Dirt' which would put Alice In Chains on the map, 'Sap' is an acoustic EP. Heart's Ann Wilson appears on two tracks ('Brother' and 'Am I Inside'), but the best song in the set has to be 'Right Turn', featuring additional vocals by Mudhoney's Mark Arm and Soundgarden's Chris Cornell (the song is attributed to Alice Mudgarden on the record).
Best Songs: Right Turn

187) Tommy Stinson - Village Gorilla Head (2004)

Being a member of Guns N' Roses at the beginning of the 21st century meant that you had a lot of down-time. That time was well used by founding member of The Replacements Tommy Stinson when he used it to record 'Village Gorilla Head'. Recruiting his bandmates in Guns, Richard Fortus and Tommy Stinson, as well as former bandmates Gersh (from his short-lived Perfect) and Josh Freese (who had been a part of Guns when Tommy first joined, but had since left to join A Perfect Circle) over the course of five years, Stinson created his first solo album, incorporating some of the more obvious influences from Paul Westerberg and The Replacements, and also adding a little of what he'd learned since. The title track for instance features electronic/dub elements. When the album is best though, is when it's a simple rock 'n' roll album. When touring behind this album, Stinson recruited Alien Crime Syndicate (who have previously appeared in this list) as his backing band. This means bass player Jeff Rouse (who is currently a member of Duff McKagan's Loaded) has the distinction of playing bass for both Guns N' Roses bassists.
Best Songs: Light Of Day; Motivation

186) Muse - Origin Of Symmetry (2001)

Back in 2001, I was a regular reader of Kerrang! magazine. Every few months, it would come with a VHS tape collecting some music video's. On one of these video's was the video to 'Plug In Baby' by Muse. The almost classical guitar, along with the falsetto vocals had me hooked. From that point on, I was a Muse fan. I got this album on the day of release, and from the first few notes of 'New Born', I knew that this band was going to go on to do big things. Twelve years on, and I've still never managed to see them live (every time they've announced a UK tour, I've had no money), but in spite of not being a big fan of their latest album, I am proud of everything they've achieved.
Best Songs: New Born; Plug In Baby

185) The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (1972)

Possibly the most universally acclaimed album in the Stones' entire 50+ year history. Whilst it's not my favourite of their albums, it's pretty easy to see why it's so highly regarded. There aren't many bands who are able to release a double album that doesn't feature a single filler track, and the Stones at their creative peak in the early 70's are one of the band's who managed it. If you have even a passing interest in rock music and you don't love this album, you quite possibly have no soul.
Best Songs: Tumbling Dice; Sweet Virginia; Happy

184) Saul Williams - The Inevitable Rise And Liberation Of NiggyTardust! (2007)

Another credit for Trent Reznor, as he takes alternative hip hop artist Saul Williams and co-writes/produces one of the strangest and most interesting hip hop albums to ever be recorded. 'NiggyTardust!' takes all of the elements heard in Williams' previous releases, and throws in some of the industrial disonance of Nine Inch Nails albums. When it was first made available, it was under the then-revolutionary release model of an optional $5 download. As well as the original tracks, there is also a cover of U2's 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', in which Williams gets to showcase his soulful singing voice.
Best Songs: Convict Colony; NiggyTardust; WTF!

183) Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot (1994)

This collection of B-sides and rarities was released a way to pacify fans hungry for the follow-up to the massively successful 'Siamese Dream'. It became a huge international hit, surprising Billy Corgan. Several of the tracks on this record have become huge fan favourites. Nowhere is this more evident than with the slow-burning 11 minute epic, 'Starla' which showcases Billy Corgan's songwriting ability and fantastic guitar-playing skills simultaneously.
Best Songs: Frail And Bedazzled; Pissant; Starla

182) Green Day - American Idiot (2004)

By 2004, Green Day had all but fallen by the wayside, with the likes of Blink-182 and Sum 41 becoming the (temporary) kings of the style that Green Day helped popularise. One politically themed concept album, featuring a couple of 9 minute tracks, and some crossover hits later and all that had changed. Green Day grew beyond being at the top of the pop-punk heap to being one of the world's biggest rock bands in a matter of months. Despite what the (frankly elitist) critics say, there is good reason for this, as 'American Idiot' is genuinely a great album. The band have done better both before and since, but that's beside the point.
Best Songs: American Idiot; St. Jimmy; Letterbomb

181) Lacuna Coil - Comalies (2002)

The album where international success finally became within the grasp of the Italian gothic metal band. Whereas other similar bands have a classical influence (Nightwish. Within Temptation. Even Evanescence to an extent) shine through in their music, Lacuna Coil's music has more of an electronic feel. Their first few albums used them for gothic atmospherics, but for 'Comalies' and their later albums, they went for an increasingly nu-metal sound.
Best Songs: Heaven's A Lie; Tight Rope; Entwined

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 70
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 19/2/2013 3:19:25 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Two ace Queen albums! Get Down, Make Love is amazing live.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 71
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 19/2/2013 8:52:34 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf
Two ace Queen albums! Get Down, Make Love is amazing live.

I'm far too young to have the pleasure of seeing Queen live.

Post #: 72
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 20/2/2013 2:20:29 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Me too, but there's a wealth of live material out there. Loads of amazing performances.

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 73
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 20/2/2013 9:45:34 AM   
AxlReznor

Ah, yeah. I've seen those and agree that they're great.
I've found that watching live material is never the same as actually being there when it happened, though.

Post #: 74
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 20/2/2013 10:04:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I would imagine that's true but can't say for sure as I've never been to a concert!

Actually, I tell a lie. I saw the three LOTR film with the score performed live, so they're technically concerts

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 75
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 20/2/2013 11:56:39 AM   
AxlReznor

180) Velvet Revolver - Contraband (2004)

'Contraband' is one of those albums in which the story of its making is almost as interesting as the music itself. After the death of fromer Ozzy Osbourne and Motley Crue drummer, Randy Castillo, friend and fellow drummer Matt Sorum gave a call to his former Guns N' Roses bandmates Slash and Duff McKagan. They performed together for the first time since 1993 at a tribute concert for the band with appearances from Josh Todd and Keith Nelson (Buckcherry), Cypress Hill, and Aerosmith's Steven Tyler. The three of them enjoyed that so much that they decided to make it a full-time band. Working together with fellow former GN'R member Izzy Stradlin, they began writing material whilst searching for a singer. Eventually, Stradlin left what was then known as "The Project" to be replaced by Dave Kushner, and after months of auditioning singers, both famous and unknown, they managed to recruit Scott Weiland whose second stint with Stone Temple Pilots had just come to an end. The still unnamed band contributed the song 'Set Me Free' to Ang Lee's Hulk, and after naming themselves Velvet Revolver gave their first performance at the El Rey Theatre as part of that movie's premiere.
But that wasn't the end of their problems, as Scott Weiland was currently in the midst of a debilitating heroin addiction and was arrested for possession of heroin shortly after work on the album began, forcing him to record vocals on day release from jail.
It looked like the odds were against this band, with people predicting their dissolution before even releasing their debut album. All of this helped make 'Contraband' one of the best rock albums of the last decade. You get the sense upon listening to it that this was 'make-or-break' time for everyone involved. They had something to prove, and prove it they did. Musically, it features the familiar hallmarks of both GN'R and STP, but managing to not sound like either band, and instead something far more modern. Slash played like he's never played before, whilst maintaining the familiar sound in his solo's, and Weiland went from furious venom-spitting fury, to deep introspection from song to song.
'Contraband' was an album that any band was going to have trouble following up, and 'Libertad' ended up being a flop critcially, commercially and musically (though it wasn't without it's moments, and the track 'Messages' which was left off of the album but shouldn't have been is the best thing they ever recorded). And Velvet Revolver themselves were a band forged through such volatility that they were never going to last long, and just four years after the release of this record it all fell apart on-stage before the eyes of the UK public on the band's final tour (which they somehow managed to complete). But for a while, Velvet Revolver were one of the best things rock music had to offer.
Best Songs: Sucker Train Blues; Set Me Free; Slither

179) Jerry Cantrell - Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2 (2002)

In 2001, Alice In Chains guitarist Jerry Cantrell went to Roadrunner Records with this double album, and was told that they'd sign him as long as before releasing it, he cut the album down to one disc, and 'Degradation Trip' was released in the following June. Fortunately, however, the label agreed to release the full-length double album with its original tracklist as a Special Edition a few months later. As a kind of "Director's Cut", 'Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2' is what I consider to be the official version of the album.
As opposed to the country-influenced Southern rock that dominated most of his first solo album, 'Degradation Trip' sees Jerry (along with bassist Rob Trujillo, and drummer Mike Bordin) return to the dark, sludgy, grungy metal that characterises most of Alice In Chains' work. Several songs on the record deal with Cantrell's eroded relationship with Layne Staley and his worries for his old friend's health (specifically '31/32'), which were made all the more heartbreaking after his tragic death in April that year. Other songs deal with his misgivings about life in the music industry, and various other dark themes.
Best Songs: Psychotic Break; Angel Eyes; Anger Rising

178) Radiohead - Pablo Honey (1993)

Radiohead's debut album is as far removed from 'The King Of Limbs' as is probably possible for one band. Straight up rock music all the way, including 'Creep', one of the most anthemic songs in their catalogue. The band themselves seem to hate everything about that song (those guitar crunches before the chorus were supposedly put there to ensure the track would never receive radio play), and have all but disowned this album entirely. But it's a great debut album from a band who have since gone off the rails.
Best Songs: Creep; Anyone Can Play Guitar; Lurgee

177) Green Day - Warning (2000)

The pop-punk band break out the acoustic guitars and try their hand at "folk punk". Perhaps because of this style change ('Minority' wouldn't sound terribly out of place on a Dropkick Murphys album), 'Warning' is probably the most criminally underrated album in the band's catalogue. There were hints of this on 'Nimrod', but other than that Green Day were in danger of being one of those bands that just stays the same throughout their career, and it was good to hear such a change of pace. It wasn't as dramatic a change as most people seem to think, though. You can still tell it's a Green Day record.
Best Songs: Deadbeat Holiday; Waiting; Macy's Day Parade

176) Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist (2007)

The day that his debut solo album was released, Billy Corgan issued a full-page press release in a Chicago newspaper announcing his intention to regroup the Smashing Pumpkins - and in this action showed perhaps the least confidence someone had in their own work in living memory. Drummer Jimmy Chamberlin jumped on board straight away, but other former members James Iha (guitar), D'Arcy Wretzky and Melissa auf der Maur (both former bass players) wanted no part of it, forcing Billy and Jimmy to record this comeback record on their own.
I think it's this lack of involvement from former members that has led 'Zeitgeist' to be treated with as much derision as it has. Don't take those circumstances into consideration, and what you get with 'Zeitgeist' is a highly impressive record. It's not the best Smashing Pumpkins album ever (in fact, not including B-side/rarity compilations people are right correct that it's their worst), and there are some issues with the production (from the legendary Roy Thomas Baker), but it showcases Billy Corgan back on form after the misfires of both Zwan and his solo album 'TheFutureEmbrace'. I think he really does need to be writing for the Smashing Pumpkins in order to have the confidence and desire to write the very best music he can at the time. Smashing Pumpkins are a band (no matter who's in it) that'd I'd take at their worst over a lot of other bands at their best.
Best Songs: Doomsday Clock; Tarantula; United States

175) Mother Love Bone - Apple (1990)

Mother Love Bone were a band from Seattle that featured former members of Malfunkshun (Andrew Wood), 10 Minute Warning (Greg Gilmore) and Green River (Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament and Bruce Fairweather). Upon the release of their debut EP in 1989, they were tipped to be the band that brought the Seattle scene to the attention of the mainstream, and were gearing up to release this - their first full length album - in March 1990. However, days before its slated release date, Andrew Wood slipped into a coma after overdosing on heroin, and died a few days later. The album was eventually released quietly in July, but without the promotional push and tour that were originally planned, it's now considered an obscure release. Stone and Jeff would release a tribute to Wood under the name Temple Of The Dog along with Chris Cornell and Matt Cameron of Soundgarden, guitarist Mike McCready and a couple of tracks with aspiring singer Eddie Vedder before eventually teaming up with Mike and Eddie to form Pearl Jam.
Musically, Mother Love Bone weren't as inspired by punk rock or metal as most of their Seattle contemporaries, instead having a sound more similar to the likes of Aerosmith and Led Zeppelin, though with less of the OTT theatrics that similar bands from Hollywood were displaying.
Best Songs: Stardog Champion; Stargazer; Crown Of Thorns

174) Hole - Celebrity Skin (1998)

The third studio album from Courtney Love's band. For this album she recruited Billy Corgan to co-write almost half of the album with the band, and the resulting album is a far more commercial affair than either of the band's previous albums. The title track is the best example of the kind of music on display here, featuring a much more 'bubblegum' rock sound than the band's earlier punk-influenced music. In short, it's the best thing that Love has ever produced (with the possible exception of her performance in The People Vs. Larry Flynt).
Best Songs: Celebrity Skin; Malibu; Use Once & Destroy

173) Stone Sour - Come What(ever) May (2006)

The second album from Corey Taylor and Jim Root of Slipknot's other band. This is probably the album which best showcases Taylor's skill writing great melodies, which until recently was almost completely absent from Slipknot. One of the best singers in rock or metal today, and the rest of the band are equally as brilliant.
Best Songs: 30/30-150; Made Of Scars; Zzyzx Rd.

172) Within Temptation - The Silent Force (2004)

The Dutch symphonic metal band's third album. Front and centre is the amazing voice of Sharon den Adel, Of all of the European female-fronted metal bands, Within Temptation are perhaps the most commercial, and therefore invite the most comparison to Evanescence (who many people outside of Europe mistakenly believe came first).
Best Songs: Jillian (I'd Give My Heart); It's The Fear

171) Metallica - Garage Inc. (1998)

In which Metallica pay tribute to their influences from Misfits to Bob Seger via Thin Lizzy and Black Sabbath. Their rendition of Lynyrd Skynyrd's 'Tuesday's Gone', featuring Pepper Keenan, Jerry Cantrell and Les Claypool is a thing of beauty, as is Bob Seger's 'Turn The Page' - the ode to getting bored whilst on tour. It's 'Whiskey In The Jar' that most people will have heard, though.
Disc 2 is a compilation of covers from previous hard-to-find Metallica releases, including Anti-Nowhere League's controversial 'So What?'... the original version of the song was actually banned in the UK under the Obscene Publications Act.
Best Songs: Turn The Page; Tuesday's Gone

170) Ozzy Osbourne - Scream (2010)

Since being reduce to human punchline in MTV's The Osbournes (I've actually had a conversation from someone who called themselves an Ozzy Osbourne fan who was surprised to hear that he did music, too), Ozzy's music seemed to have suffered. Both his covers album, 'Under Cover', and his last album of original material, 'Black Rain' were disappointing at their best points. So I was pleasantly surprised when I heard 'Scream' in 2010 and found myself enjoying every moment of the 49 minute running time. It's probably the final solo album by Ozzy as he's now pre-occupied with promoting the new Black Sabbath album (his first with the band since 1978), and I'm not sure how many years of being able to perform he has left in him.
Best Songs: Let Me Hear You Scream; Crucify

169) Rage Against The Machine - Evil Empire (1996)

The follow-up to Rage Against The Machine's stunning debut album is often considered a disappointment compared to what had come before. It's true that this is not quite as good as that self-titled record, but that doesn't make it a disappointment as far as I'm concerned. Still, it's the least of the band's three albums of original material.
Best Songs: Bulls On Parade; Revolver

168) Serj Tankian - Harakiri (2012)

So far, this is the best of Serj Tankian's solo output. Musically, it's his most similar to System Of A Down, but is still far more melodic than that band.
Best Songs: Figure It Out; Uneducated Democracy

167) Apocalyptica - Worlds Collide (2007)

The sixth album from the Finnish cellists features guest appearances from members of other bands including Slayer's Dave Lombardo drumming on one track. The best songs on the album, though feature guest vocals from Corey Taylor and Lacuna Coil's Cristina Scabbia.
Best Songs: I'm Not Jesus; S.O.S. (Anything But Love)

166) Deftones - White Pony (2000)

For their third album, the Deftones moved away from the nu-metal sound that they had found themselves pigeon-holed into in favour of a more atmospheric style with trip hop and shoegaze influences. The growth in their sound is fantastic, and the result is the best album in their career. 'Passenger' is one of my favourite songs of all time, and features great vocal interplay between Chino Moreno and Tool's Maynard James Keenan.
Best Songs: Knife Party; Passenger

165) Muse - Black Holes & Revelations (2006)

How do you follow-up the most extravagant album of your career so far? In the case of Muse, you get even more extravagant. It doesn't quite reach the heights of the amazing 'Absolution', but that's no loss. 'Knights Of Cydonia' is one of the most ridiculous songs I've ever heard... that it's also great is the real surprise.
Best Songs: Map Of The Problematique; Knights Of Cydonia

164) Pearl Jam - Backspacer (2009)

At just 36 minutes long, 'Backspacer' is the most short, sharp collection of music that Pearl Jam have ever released. It's also the most straightforward rock 'n' roll album in any of the bandmember's careers including elements of "surf rock" in some tracks. Such optimism is a rarity in the music of Seattle's most famous band's, and it's a welcome change of pace.
Best Songs: Amongst The Waves; Supersonic

163) The Clash - Give 'Em Enough Rope (1978)

The second album by the legendary punks. It's the best album that the band produced... definitely better than the vastly overrated 'London Calling'. Though that one does have a better cover image.
Best Songs: Tommy Gun; All The Young Punks (New Boots And Contracts)

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 76
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 20/2/2013 12:04:34 PM   
AxlReznor

quote:

I would imagine that's true but can't say for sure as I've never been to a concert!

Actually, I tell a lie. I saw the three LOTR film with the score performed live, so they're technically concerts

I've never been to something like that. That sounds amazing.
I wish I could afford tickets to that Danny Elfman/Tim Burton show at the Royal Albert Hall.

Post #: 77
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 21/2/2013 12:07:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

quote:

I've never been to something like that. That sounds amazing.
I wish I could afford tickets to that Danny Elfman/Tim Burton show at the Royal Albert Hall.

Certainly was amazing. And I met Howard Shore

The Elfman one sounds great, I'd also love to be able to go. The real cost is in the travel and then staying the night, No chance at all to get home from London if the performances don't finish until after 11.

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 78
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 21/2/2013 12:00:31 PM   
AxlReznor

162) The Rolling Stones - Goats Head Soup (1973)

Released in 1973, 'Goats Head Soup' marked the end of the band's creative peak that began five years previously with 'Beggars Banquet'. The album opens with the brooding, funk-influenced 'Dancing With Mr. D', but the album's greatest moment comes with 'Angie', one of the most heartbreaking ballads that Jagger and Richards ever wrote together. It was after this point that the pair began to grow apart, and their music suffered as a result.
Best Songs: Dancing With Mr. D; Angie

161) Weezer - Hurley (2010)

After three consecutive albums featuring Weezer's quality decreasing at a fairly epic rate, culminating in the commercial failure of 'Raditude', the band were dropped from their long-time record label, Geffen. Eventually signing to the independent label, Epitath, Rivers Cuomo and co. returned in 2010 with 'Hurley', an album that recalls the band's mid-90's heyday. The music on 'Hurley' ranges from the pop-rock catchiness found on their debut album, and the harder, far less optimistic sound found on their follow-up, 'Pinkerton'. The best Weezer album of the 21st century.
Best Songs: Ruling Me; Where's My Sex?

160) Nightwish - Century Child (2002)

'Century Child' is the first Nightwish album to feature bass player (and sometimes male vocalist) Marco Hietala. As such, it is the album that finally solidified the band's sound, with the music becoming slower and darker than on previous records. Actually, the perfect display of the band that Nightwish had become four albums into their career comes in the form of their cover of Andrew Lloyd Webber's 'Phantom Of The Opera', with Marco and Tarja Turunen's vocals perfectly complimenting each other despite (or maybe because of) their sounding so completely different.
Best Songs: End Of All Hope; Phantom Of The Opera

159) Apocalyptica - 7th Symphony (2010)

The latest album from Apocalyptica carries on the tradition found on 'Worlds Collide' of bringing in vocalists from other bands on some tracks. 'End Of Me' is the best that Bush frontman Gavin Rossdale has ever sounded. Another tradition that is upheld with this album is the presence of Slayer's Dave Lombardo drumming on a track. Despite no Corey Taylor or Cristina Scabbia this time around, this is my favourite Apocalyptica album.
Best Songs: End Of Me; Broken Pieces

158) The Dead Boys - We Have Come For Your Children (1978)

The second and final album from the American punk rock band, with the band breaking up shortly after work on the record was completed. The song 'Ain't It Fun' was covered by Guns N' Roses on "The Spaghetti Incident?", bringing attention to The Dead Boys that they missed out on in their career.
Best Songs: (I Don't Wanna Be No) Catholic Boy; Ain't It Fun

157) Iron Maiden - Killers (1981)

Iron Maiden's second album, and the last to feature vocals by Paul Di'Anno, whose drug use would eventually cause him to be fired. Guitarist Adrian Smith features on this album after replacing Dennis Stratton who appeared on the debut album.
Best Songs: Wrathchild; Killers

156) Aerosmith - Pump (1989)

Aerosmith's first album since 'Permanent Vacation' put them back on the map as a force to be reckoned with. 'Love In An Elevator' and 'Janie's Got A Gun' - which deals with child abuse, and the victim's brutal revenge - have become some of the band's best-loved songs.
Best Songs: Young Lust; Voodoo Medicine Man

155) Perfect - Once, Twice, Three Times A Maybe (2004)

Featuring former Replacement, Tommy Stinson on bass and lead vocals, Perfect recorded this, their first and only full-length album in 1997. However, when Regency Pictures purchased Restless Records - the band's record label - the album release was abruptly canceled, and the struggling band were forced to break up. Stinson then started work as a session musician, whilst becoming a telesalesman in order to pay his bills until the following year he heard that Guns N' Roses were looking for a new bass player after the departure of Duff McKagan. It wasn't until 2004 that Rykodisk would acquire the rights to the album, and give it an official release where it was met with positive reviews. It's quite depressing to think of where this punky rock band could have gone if they had been given a chance.
Best Songs: Better Days; 7 Days A Week

154) Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak (1976)

If there is one essential Thin Lizzy album, this is it. 'The Boys Are Back In Town' is the band's biggest hit, but the title track is far superior, and 'Cowboy Song' is the greatest thing the band ever recorded.
Best Songs: Jailbreak; Cowboy Song

153) Metallica - ...And Justice For All (1988)

Metallica's first album since the death of original bass player Cliff Burton in a tour bus crash. There are some production issues with this album including the bass of Jason Newsted being almost completely inaudible (attributed to a still grieving band not feeling comfortable working with anyone but Cliff), but the songs featured here include some of Metallica's greatest, including the classic 'One' which is the only song on the album to have regularly been played live since the album's release.
Best Songs: One; Harvester Of Sorrow

152) Nine Inch Nails - The Slip (2008)

Recorded in just three weeks, and released as a completely free download the day after its completion, NIN's 'The Slip' was the band's second such release in a matter of months. This was due to Trent Reznor enjoying the fact that his contract with Interscope Records had expired, and he was free to do things he was never able to do before. Unlike the previous release, 'Ghosts I-IV', which was merely a collection of instrumental soundscapes and was considered an experiment to see what he and Atticus Ross could come up with in a certain time and release whatever it was they came up with, 'The Slip' is a proper album, and carries similar themes and art direction to 2007's 'Year Zero' and this combined with the nature of the album's recording means that it doesn't mark a change in sound that usually accompanies a new NIN release. So far it's the final NIN album, though Trent Reznor has said there will be more at some point, though he has no plans to tour with the group any more. As well as Reznor and Ross, this album features contributions from live members Robin Finck (returning to the band after his second stint with Guns N' Roses), Allessandro Cortini and Josh Freese.
Best Songs: 1,000,000; Demon Seed

151) The Replacements - Stink (1982)

This EP was the second release from The Replacements and as such showcases the band's hardcore punk roots. In fact, at just 15 minutes in length, it's the perfect hardcore punk record, as the full-length 'Sorry Ma, Forgot To Take Out The Trash' released the previous year got a bit too much after a little while. There's really not much variety in that kind of music, which I believe is one of the reasons The Replacements decided to go in a completely different direction in the future.
Best Songs: Kids Don't Follow; Dope Smokin' Moron

150) Green River - Rehab Doll (1988)

Green River's only full-length album marked the end for the band. During the sessions, a conflict emerged with Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament on one side, and Mark Arm on the other. By October 1987, the band had broken up (though recording sessions on the album continued through to January 1988). By the time the album was completed, Mother Love Bone and Mudhoney had already been formed. However, in their four years as a band, Green River had influenced a new wave of bands in Seattle.
Best Songs: Rehab Doll; One More Stitch

149) The Jacksons - Triumph (1980)

Released a year after Michael's breakthrough solo album, 'Off The Wall', 'Triumph' is the last thing any of the brothers have done worth listening to. Michael only released one more album with them (1984's 'Victory'), and by that point it was obvious that he was desperate to make his solo career a full-time endeavour and that tensions between him and his brothers were at an all-time high. 'Triumph', however was recorded before Michael released the biggest selling album of all time, so he wasn't as eager to escape the confines of the group as he would become.
Best Songs: Can You Feel It; Walk Right Now

148) Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard Of Ozz (1980)

Ozzy Osbourne's first solo album after being fired from Black Sabbath, and still the best thing he has ever recorded outside of that band in large part due to work of classically-influenced guitarist Randy Rhoads. This album forged a path for heavy metal that other band's (known as NWOBHM - or New Wave Of British Heavy Metal) would imitate for at least a decade.
Best Songs: Crazy Train; Mr. Crowley

147) Aerosmith - Get Your Wings (1974)

The second album from Boston's Aerosmith, and the first to be produced by Jack Douglas, who would become a frequent collaborator of the band's.
Best Songs: Same Old Song And Dance; Seasons Of Wither

146) Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion I (1991)

The first of two albums released by Guns N' Roses on the same day in 1991, 'Use Your Illusion I' features Axl and co. branching out in directions that most people didn't think it was possible for a hard rock band from Hollywood to take. People who like to throw the "sell out" term around often cite the band's writing of ballads, without realising that 'Don't Cry' was actually the first song that Guns N' Roses ever wrote together. The epic piano-led 'November Rain' - which Axl began working on in 1981, but wouldn't allow to be released until he was completely happy with it - with it's soulful vocals, extremely personal lyrics, and increasingly fantastic guitar - is my favourite song of all time. It's a great song in itself, but after 7 minutes the outro kicks in and serves to really get your blood pumping. 'Coma' is a 10 minute long almost prog-rock song that features some of the best playing that any of the members have ever laid down. The only thing that makes 'Use Your Illusion I' the lesser of the two albums is that, ironically, the tracks that sound most like what they were playing on 'Appetite For Destruction' ('Right Next Door To Hell' for example) really aren't as strong as the tracks in which they are expanding their sound.
Best Songs: Don't Cry; November Rain; Coma

145) The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia... (2006)

Pianist/vocalist Amanda Palmer, and drummer Brian Vigilone returned with their second album in 2006, in which their trademark "punk-cabaret" sound takes on a noticably lighter tone than on their debut. There are still some dark themes in these songs, but Palmer's sense of humour that was mostly only hinted at previously is on full display here, especially on the tracks 'Sex Changes' and 'My Alcoholic Friends'. The best thing, though, is that even with this shift in tones, The Dresden Dolls still sound absolutely unique.
Best Songs: Backstabber; Dirty Business; Sing

Post #: 79
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 22/2/2013 11:31:49 AM   
AxlReznor

144) Korn - Untouchables (2002)

Another one of those albums that teenagers at the turn of the century couldn't have avoided. 'Here To Stay' is among Korn's greatest songs, if not the greatest. And despite the fact that the then-approaching his 40's Jonathan Davis was still writing about school bully's may have been pretty sad, 'Thoughtless' is right there with it.
Best Songs: Here To Stay; Thoughtless; No One's There

143) Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (2007)

After firing Tarja Turunen at the end of the tour supporting 'Once', Nightwish began a search for a new singer which ended when they discovered the Swedish Anette Olzon who was formely of the band Alyson Avenue. Unlike the soprano Tarja, Anette is a mezzo-soprano, and the music has been brought down a notch accordingly. It isn't a complete drastic change, as the album still received an extremely grandiose production complete with accompaniment from the London Philharmonic Orchestra. The biggest difference is that Anette's vocals aren't soaring quite as high and it brings Nightwish more in line with the likes of their closest contemporaries, Within Temptation. This isn't a bad thing, however, as the band has become far more accessible. Marco Hietala is also more prominent that before on this album, even singing lead vocals on the acoustic ballad 'The Islander' with some beautiful melodies by Anette. Elsewhere, his chorus on 'Bye Bye Beautiful' is a not even thinly veiled attack on Tarja... "Did you ever hear what I told you? Did you ever read what I wrote you? Did you ever listen to what we played?", etc.
Best Songs: Bye Bye Beautiful; Eva; The Islander

142) Manic Street Preachers - The Holy Bible (1994)

If the lyrics on 'Gold Against The Soul' were far more personal than those found on 'Generation Terrorists', then 'The Holy Bible' is a heartbreaking, soul-wrenching snapshot into the increasingly fragile mental state of guitarist and lyricist Richey Edwards. It's definitely not for the faint of heart, as listening to the lyrics will drag you through the gutter and leave you depressed. But despite (or because of) that it's the greatest thing that the Manic Street Preachers have ever put on record. There are political lyrics as well, but it's the personal ones that will really stick with you. It's little wonder that the band wanted to do something almost completely 180 degrees from this for their follow-up, though.
Best Songs: Ifwhiteamericatoldthetruthforonedayit'sworldwouldfallapart; Revol; P.C.P.

141) Soundgarden - King Animal (2012)

The long-awaited return of Soundgarden. And yes, it was very definitely worth the wait. Chris Cornell is one of the greatest singers of any genre currently living, and his post-Audioslave solo career (consisting of middling album 'Carry On', and complete misstep, Timbaland collaboration 'Scream') made me think that we'd never hear his voice over anything great again. Thank God for Kim Thayil, Ben Shephard and Matt Cameron for suggesting a reunion and putting Cornell back on the map doing what he does best. Musically, the album isn't the moody, sludgy-riffed metal of 'Badmotorfinger', but it's not the "we're running out of ideas" sound of 'Down On The Upside', either, resting more on the level of 'Superunknown'. They were great at Hyde Park last year, too (although when my wife thought about the fact that we'd now seen Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden live she got a bit upset about the one glaring omission that we'd never get to see).
Best Songs: Been Away Too Long; Taree; Worse Dreams

140) Rainbow - Rising (1976)

Rainbow's second, and best album. Featuring only guitarist Ritchie Blackmore and singer Ronnie James Dio from the first album, the rest of the band was filled out by drummer Cozy Powell, bassist Jimmy Bain and keyboard player Tony Carey.
Best Song: Stargazer

139) The Rolling Stones - Between The Buttons (US VERSION) (1967)

The last album to be completely produced by the band's original manager, Andrew Loog Oldham (the band fell out with him whilst recording the terrible 'Their Satanic Majesties Request', and only then found out that their contract gave him sole control over their entire catalogue between 1963 and 1967). This is also the best album of the Oldham era, with the band finally consolidating their sound that began to come to the fore with 'Aftermath'. Before that, they were mainly a covers band, and their greatest achievements came in the first few years after the band took control of their destiny.
Best Songs: Let's Spend The Night Together; Ruby Tuesday; Connection

138) Puscifer - Conditions Of My Parole (2011)

Second full-length album from Maynard James Keenan's solo project. As opposed to previous releases, this is much more along the lines of the industrial-style work Puscifer provided to the soundtracks to the first two Underworld movies (with the project only becoming a full-time endeavour in 2007. There isn't really a "Puscifer sound" as such, as he uses it as a general melting pot of ideas that wouldn't work with Tool or A Perfect Circle.
Best Songs: Tiny Monsters; Conditions Of My Parole; Tumbleweed

137) Return To Earth - Automata (2010)
[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/982/MI0002982950.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]
The second album from Ron Scalzo, Brett Aveni and former Dillinger Escape Plan drummer Chris Pennie. 'Automata' features such a wide range of ideas that it was ever going to be great, or all fall apart in a mess. Luckily it is the former, and has been described as a mix of Ministry, Fear Factory and Nine Inch Nails, though there are also little unique elements there. As I said about their previous album, it's a shame that one of the most exciting metal bands of recent years is never going to get its due.
Ron Scalzo seems to be full speed ahead on rebuilding his life after losing every single one of his possessions in Hurricane Sandy last year, by the way. It's going to take a while, but he seems to be coping with it a lot better than most people would.
Best Songs: Back Of My Hand; Snakeface; The Altercation Of Man

136) Radiohead - The Bends (1995)

No matter how far away from music I'd actually want to listen to Radiohead get, I can rest easy knowing that I'll always have this 50 minutes of excellence to listen to. 'The Bends' is among the albums where it's really difficult to find a low point, because almost every second is filled with greatness.
Best Songs: The Bends; Just; Street Spirit (Fade Out)

135) Stereophonics - Word Gets Around (1997)

The debut album from the Stereophonics is made up of songs based on observations about living in the small Welsh town of Cwmaman. The title of course refers to the spreading of rumours - as does the album's opener, 'A Thousand Trees' - and the stories on display here are by turns infuriating (the aforementioned 'A Thousand Trees'), amusing ('Last Of The Big Time Drinkers', 'More Life In A Tramp's Vest') and heartbreaking ('Local Boy In The Photograph', 'Billy Davey's Daughter'). It's a fantastic debut from a band that we'd later learn has a very varied quality level over their career.
Best Songs: More Life In A Tramp's Vest; Local Boy In The Photograph; Too Many Sandwiches

134) Loaded - Dark Days (2001)

In 1999, Duff McKagan recorded 'Beautiful Disease' - his second solo album, and first since sobering up and leaving Guns N' Roses. In all actuality, that album belongs in this list, and the only reason it isn't is because the record label, Geffen, was taken over by Interscope Records that year and immediately started dropping artists that hadn't made them enough money, and on the day the album was due to be released, they decided that McKagan would be one of them, and abruptly canceled its release (bearing in mind this man was in the label's biggest ever moneymakers, this is probably the most stupid thing that Interscope had done up until this point).
Because the label had retained the rights to the recordings, Duff went back into the studio to re-record tracks from the album the following year with producer/keyboard player Martin Feveyear, guitarist Dave Dederer (of PUSA), and drummer Geoff Reading. However, out of those sessions came new songs, and so only three re-recordings were included on the finished album, with 9 completely new tracks. Instead of releasing the album under his own name, he decided to release it under the name of the band he'd originally formed to tour behind 'Beautiful Disease', Loaded.
The band was consolidated with the departure of Dederer, when Duff recruited Mike Squires (who had played some guitar parts on the record), and bass player Jeff Rouse (Duff played all bass on the album) to tour behind the album, which is often mistakenly referred to as a punk record. There's always going to be punk elements to anything written by McKagan, because that's his background, but there's a lot more to that in 'Dark Days', with some tracks I'd say bordering very closely to gothic rock. Unfortunately for Loaded, touring abruptly halted when Duff was invited to form a new band with Slash and Matt Sorum, and in spite of a few gigs a year for a little while, the band was effectively put on ice until 2008.
Best Songs: Seattle Head; Then & Now; Queen Jonasophina

133) Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace (2007)

The sixth album from the Foo Fighters, for the first time incorporates piano into a few tracks ('Summer's End', 'Statues', and 'Home'). Other than that, though, it's exactly what people had come to expect from a Foo Fighters record, with lots of catchy rock songs just crying out to be heard in stadiums... which is exactly what they did. I was lucky enough to see their Wembley Stadium show in support of this record.
Best Songs: The Pretender; Long Road To Ruin; Cheer Up Boys (Your Make Up Is Running)

132) Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg (2009)

I wasn't a fan of the first Wolfmother album, but 'Cosmic Egg' is a fantastic early-Sabbath style throwback to 70's hard rock. As ever, Andrew Stockdale's vocals are a love it or hate it affair, but I've found that with a lot of things like that, I tend to love them.
Best Songs: New Moon Rising; Cosmic Egg; Violence Of The Sun

131) Audioslave - Revelations (2006)

The third album from Audioslave is often considered their worst album, but I found it to be a vast improvement on their debut album, and definitely an improvement on their not very good at all second album, 'Out Of Exile'. Producer Brendan O'Brien replaces Rick Rubin, and the result is album with a far fuller sound, with more emphasis on the almost funk-like basslines of the highly underrated Tim Commerford. It's a shame that the album's release was almost completely overshadowed by Chris Cornell's sudden announcement that he was leaving the band (the rest of the band found out when they saw it on the internet).
Best Songs: Revelations; Wide Awake; Moth

130) Stone Sour - Stone Sour (2002)

A lot of people don't realise this, but Corey Taylor and Jim Root were both members of Stone Sour before they even met the rest of Slipknot. The band was put on hold after that band hit it big with their debut album. So this debut album is actually from the reformed band. The noticable difference is of course the fact that Corey and Jim were seen unmasked for the first time, and that the band was far more melodic than Slipknot. That's not to say that this isn't a heavy album, though. Far from it... other than the vocals, there aren't many band's that you can say they're more melodic than at this point.
Best Songs: Get Inside; Blotter; Bother

129) Chris Cornell - Euphoria Morning (1999)

Despite what I said above about Chris Cornell's post-Audioslave solo career, this solo album - released between the break-up of Soundgarden and his joining Audioslave - is absolutely fantastic. 'Euphoria Morning' sees Cornell taking a much slower, more acoustic almost folky sound than what his fans had grown accustomed to. The result means that you can focus much more on his voice than any of his previous records (except maybe 'Temple Of The Dog'), and when your voice is as great as this, that can only be a good thing. Other band members for this album include Alain Johannes and the late Natasha Schneider of Eleven (and later Queens Of The Stone Age), Ric Markmann, and drummer Josh Freese.
Best Songs: Preaching The End Of The World; Mission; Disappearing One

128) Lacuna Coil - Lacuna Coil EP (1998)

Lacuna Coil's debut EP, showcasing their unique brand of atmospheric gothic metal. By the time of the following year's full-length 'In A Reverie', guitarists Raffaele Zagaria and Claudio Leo (who sadly died earlier this year) and drummer Leonardo Forti had left the band to be replaced by Cristiano Migliore and Cristiano Mozzati.
Best Song: Falling

127) Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown (2009)

The sequel to 'American Idiot' manages to build upon the stadium-filling sound of that last album, and successfully better it. This is possibly the heaviest album in Green Day's catalogue, at points bordering on hard rock, whilst at the same time retaining the delicate moments that got 'American Idiot' so much airtime five years previously. As great as that record was, they just sound far more confident in this big "punk rock opera" direction than they did previously. Whilst not as commercially successful, it still managed to become a huge hit, despite the band refusing to record a censored version in order for certain shops to agree to stock it.
Best Songs: Christian's Inferno; East Jesus Nowhere; Restless Heart Syndrome

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 80
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 25/2/2013 11:42:21 AM   
AxlReznor

I just spent ages writing out my next entry in this, only for the post to fail... I can't be bothered writing it all out again at the moment, so here's just the list...

126) Rage Against The Machine - The Battle Of Los Angeles (1999)

Best Songs: Testify; Calm Like A Bomb; Sleep Now In The Fire

125) Soul Asylum - While You Were Out (1986)

Best Songs: Freaks; Crashing Down

124) The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me (1987)

Best Songs: The Ledge; Skyway

123) Within Temptation - The Heart Of Everything (2007)

Best Songs: The Howling; Final Destination

122) Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power (1992)

Best Songs: Walk; Hollow

121) Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar (1996)

Best Songs: The Beautiful People; 1996; Man That You Fear

120) Alice Cooper - The Last Temptation (1994)

Best Songs: Stolen Prayer; Unholy War

119) Perfect - When Squirrels Play Chicken EP (1997)

Best Song: Alternative Monkey

118) Green River - Dry As A Bone (1987)

Best Song: This Town

117) Bumblefoot - Barefoot: The Acoustic EP (2009)

Best Song: She Knows

116) New York Dolls - Too Much Too Soon (1974)

Best Songs: Who Are The Mystery Girls?; Human Being

115) Joss Stone - LP1 (2011)

Best Songs: Karma; Somehow

114) Avenged Sevenfold - City Of Evil (2005)

Best Songs: Bat Country; Trashed And Scattered

113) Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)

Best Songs: Know Your Enemy; Wake Up

112) Tool - Undertow (1993)

Best Songs: Prison Sex; Flood

111) Lacuna Coil - Unleashed Memories (2001)

Best Songs: When A Dead Man Walks; 1.19

110) Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine (1989)

Best Songs: Head Like A Hole; Sin

109) Dio - Holy Diver (1983)

Best Songs: Holy Diver; Don't Talk To Strangers

I might edit it at some point to fall in line with previous posts, but at the moment I'm too angry.

EDIT: Edited in artwork and best songs. Write-up may follow.

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 25/2/2013 6:13:12 PM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 81
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 25/2/2013 3:01:28 PM   
Arron_

Excellent choice of Knife Party being one of the best tracks on White Pony. I really love that song and was so disappointed they didn't play it at Leeds Festival.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 82
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 26/2/2013 9:55:45 AM   
AxlReznor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arron_

Excellent choice of Knife Party being one of the best tracks on White Pony. I really love that song and was so disappointed they didn't play it at Leeds Festival.

They didn't play? Man, that sucks. They at least did 'Passenger', though, right?

(in reply to Arron_)
Post #: 83
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 26/2/2013 11:20:00 AM   
AxlReznor

108) Lynyrd Skynyrd - Second Helping (1974)

Lynyrd Skynyrd's second album may not feature as many instantly recognisable tracks as their classic debut, but it remains the quintessential southern rock album. 'The Ballad Of Curtis Loew' is among Skynyrd's finest tunes.
Best Songs: Sweet Home Alabama; The Ballad Of Curtis Loew

107) Evanescence - Evanescence (2011)

The third album from Amy Lee and co. (this time consisting of Terry Balsamo, Will Hunt, Tim McCord and Troy McLawhorn). It's less adventurous than the 'The Open Door', but is far more successful (musically at least) than their debut. Evanescence now sound more similar to their less commercial European equivalents.
Best Songs: Made Of Stone; The Other Side; End Of The Dream

106) Smashing Pumpkins - American Gothic EP (2008)

A four track acoustic EP, consisting of tracks written during 'Zeitgeist' sessions but not included on that album.
Best Songs: The Rose March

105) Aerosmith - Aerosmith (1973)

Aerosmith's debut album was critically maligned when it was first released. Upon later inspection, though, it shows a young band with great things in their future. 'Dream On' and 'Mama Kin' are the strongest indicators of what was to come in the band's future.
Best Songs: Dream On; Mama Kin

104) Smashing Pumpkins - Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Volume 1: Songs For A Sailor (2010)

Towards the end of 2009, Billy Corgan announced alongside the departure of drummer Jimmy Chamberlin that the band would be releasing their next project one song at a time as a free download, with EP's being released every time four tracks have been issued. This idea proved to be short-lived, but while it lasted, it was an interesting experiment. A lot of people were left underwhelmed by the songs released, but as far as I'm concerned you've just got to leave behind any preconceptions about what the Pumpkins are supposed to be. Corgan (and the Pumpkins with him) have always defied pigeonholing into any one sound, with each album being vastly different to the last, and the one-track-at-a-time format of 'Teargarden By Kaleidyscope' provided the perfect opportunity for him to really push the boundaries of what the Smashing Pumpkins can be. Recruiting the young new drummer Mike Byrne, and the now-deceased Electric Prunes bass player Mark Tulin, 'Songs For A Sailor' is an eclectic mix of psychedelic rock tracks, with the highlight being the first song in the collection 'A Song For A Son', which features a guitar solo that once again shows that Billy Corgan is one of the most under-rated lead guitarists in the world.
Best Song: A Song For A Son

103) Metallica - Metallica (1991)

Metallica's self-titled 'Black Album' is the moment when Metallica first hit the big-time, and of course this resulted in early Metallica "fans" feeling alienated and beginning their incessant cries of "sell out" that can still be heard today.
Best Songs: Enter Sandman; The Unforgiven; Nothing Else Matters

102) Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973)

Black Sabbath's fifth studio album, in which they introduced keyboards and orchestral arrangements to their trademark sound.
Best Songs: Sabbath Bloody Sabbath; Killing Yourself To Live

101) Nirvana - In Utero (1993)

What would become Nirvana's final studio album returned the band to their raw roots, though kept the hooky-songwriting that made them stars creating a record that's kind of halfway between 'Bleach' and 'Nevermind'. It also shows Kurt Cobain at his emotionally lowest, with lyrics like "teenage angst has paid off well, now I'm bored and old", which in retrospect could sound like it should have been an indicator of what was to come. There's a lot of speculation about where Nirvana would go next (including that Kurt planned on firing Krist and Dave and forming a new line-up with R.E.M.'s Michael Stipe), but unfortunately, Kurt's suicide less than a year after the release of 'In Utero' means that we'll never know.
Best Songs: Heart-Shaped Box; Rape Me; All Apologies

100) Smashing Pumpkins - Adore (1998)

After the epic 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness', and the (temporary) firing of Jimmy Chamberlin, the Smashing Pumpkins took a 180 degree turn for this mostly acoustic album that strong features trip-hop influenced electronic beats and channels more than a little of the tone of The Cure's "Trilogy". 'Adore' is a divisive album, with many feeling it was the beginning of the end for the band, and others considering it the band's best album. I'm in neither camp myself, but as different as it is to the rest of the band's catalogue, I do enjoy it a lot.
Best Songs: To Sheila; Ava Adore; Perfect

99) Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue (2009)

In April 2002, Alice In Chains vocalist Layne Staley was found dead in his apartment where he lived alone with no contact with the outside world except for his drug dealer. His heroin needle was still in his arm, and it was estimated that he had been dead for two weeks. Transcripts of his final interview are some of the most heartbreaking things I have ever read, and it baffles me that anyone could read them and still do heroin.
It was thought to be the end of any chance of a return for Alice In Chains, and for good reason. In 2005, however, Jerry Cantrell, Mike Inez and Sean Kinney played together as Alice In Chains for the first time in nine years, with vocals handled alternately by Pat Lachman (Damageplan), Ann Wilson (Heart), and Maynard James Keenan (Tool), and the following year a permanent singer was found in William DuVall of Comes With The Fall.
Extensive touring followed, including an opening slot for Velvet Revolver, and in 2008 it was finally decided that the band would enter the studio to record a new album. Reaction to all of this was mixed, with many considering Layne Staley's legacy as sacred, and not feeling that it would really be Alice In Chains without him.
I admit, I was of that opinion myself, until the first music by the reconstituted Alice In Chains was finally released. To put it simply, I have no idea what myself and all of these other people were worried about. 'Black Gives Way To Blue' is an absolutely brilliant album that absolutely deserves to be released under the Alice In Chains name. William DuVall was the perfect choice to fill Staley's shoes, as the vocal interplay between him and Jerry Cantrell is every bit as great as it was between Jerry and Layne. I am now eagerly anticipating the just announced new album, 'The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here', due for release in May.
Best Songs: Check My Brain; Last Of My Kind

98) Deep Purple - In Rock (1970)

Before 'In Rock', Deep Purple were an awful band. I'm not putting it too bluntly, there was just not a single good thing about their first three albums which were a mess of ideas executed better by practically every other psychedelic rock band around. But exit Rod Evans and Nick Simper, to be replaced by Ian Gillan and Roger Glover, and suddenly Deep Purple were one of the greatest hard rock band's of their generation.
Best Song: Speed King

97) Green Day - Dookie (1994)

With both 'The Downward Spiral' by Nine Inch Nails, and Korn's self-titled debut album I mentioned that they were one of three albums to be released in the year of Kurt Cobain's death that took different aspects of Nirvana's sound and between them became the "new" voice of the generation. 'Dookie', with it's poppy hooks, and punky sound was the third of those albums. It introduced Green Day to a whole new audience, and added a much sense of humour to modern rock music that had been missing for a while. Pop-punk had finally hit the mainstream. It was probably difficult to imagine Green Day ever becoming bigger than this after this album was successful at the time.
Best Songs: Longview; Basket Case; When I Come Around

96) Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath (1970)

Down-tuned guitar, with blues influences. Dark, gothic atmospherics. The haunting and unique voice of Ozzy Osbourne. 'Black Sabbath' is the album, the song and the band that set the tone for what would become known as heavy metal. The title track was possibly the eeriest opening to any album released until that point.
Best Songs: Black Sabbath; Evil Woman (Don't You Play Your Games With Me)

95) Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973)

The crowning achievement in Elton John's extensive discography, 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' is seventeen tracks of rock and pop perfection... or close to it. Kicking off with the epic 'Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding', John rarely stops to come up for air before delivering another classic track.
Best Songs: Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding; Candle In The Wind; Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

94) Filter - The Trouble With Angels (2010)

The latest album from Richard Patrick's band, which this time also features drummer Mika Fineo, guitarist Mitchell Marlow, and bassist John Spiker. I really didn't expect an album that I liked this much when I first heard this.
Best Songs: The Inevitable Relapse; The Trouble With Angels

93) Weezer - Weezer (1994)

The first of three self-titled albums by Weezer, this - their debut album - introduced the world to the songwriting talents of Rivers Cuomo. His expert touch with a hook turned what would otherwise have been another generic pop-rock album into something far better.
Best Albums: My Name Is Jonas; Only In Dreams

92) Oasis (What's The Story) Morning Glory? (1995)

The second album by Oasis was a record that was everywhere when I was a kid. And with good reason... pretty much every track is great. It's a shame that despite moments of greatness, they never again recorded an entire album that was as worthy of praise as 'Morning Glory' is.
Best Songs: Hello; Morning Glory; Champagne Supernova

91) Queen - A Day At The Races (1976)

This album, and the previous year's 'A Night At The Opera' are often grouped together. For some reason, the latter is the one that's most often placed on a pedestal, though, despite this album being vastly superior in almost every way. Is it because 'Opera' has 'Bohemian Rhapsody' on it? Because I can't think of any other reason, despite the fact that I am also a fan of that record. 'A Day At The Races' is one of the crowning moments of 70's rock music.
Best Songs: Tie Your Mother Down; Somebody To Love

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 84
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 26/2/2013 2:48:10 PM   
AxlReznor

Two entries today because I'll be away tomorrow...

90) Tool - 10,000 Days (2006)

Tool's follow-up to 'Lateralus', in which Maynard writes some of the most personal lyrics of hi career. The two part 'Wings For Marie'/'10,000 Days' is written for his late mother, who spent approximately ten thousand days of her life paralysed. 'Jambi' is written for his son, Devo, in which he admits to regretting some of the topics of his previous work - "the devil and his had me down, in love with the dark side I'd found, dabblin' all the way down, up to my neck soon to drown. But you changed that all for me, lifted me up, turned me around". There is some of the usual cutting social satire often found on Tool albums, though, most notably on the first single 'Vicarious' which takes aim at humanities hypocrisy, watching real life death and destruction on the news as if it's entertainment... "I need to watch things die, from a distance, vicariously I live while the whole world dies, you all need it too, don't lie". It's not the strongest Tool album, but that's forgivable.
Best Songs: Jambi; The Pot

89) Weezer - Pinkerton (1996)

Weezer's second album saw Rivers Cuomo briefly turn away from the light-hearted pop-rock of their debut for a far heavier, more abrasive sound. To say it alienated people at the time is an understatement, with Rolling Stone famously labelling it one of the worst albums ever recorded. Nowadays, though, it's most often considered the best album of Weezer's career. Rolling Stone issued a retroactive review years later, in which they recognised the album's brilliance. Ironically, Rivers Cuomo now considers it to be one of the worst albums ever recorded and refuses to play any of the songs from it live. Can't please some people.
Best Songs: El Scorcho; Pink Triangle

88) Metallica - Reload (1996)

Can't please some people... probably the sentence that best sums up the reaction from Metallica fans to their entire post-'Master Of Puppets' career. 'Reload' was recorded alongside 'Load', and released later the same year. As such, the album's stylistic deviations are just as prevalent here as they were on that previous album. Of the two, this is the stronger, though.
Best Songs: Fuel; The Unforgiven II; Low Man's Lyric

87) Bumblefoot - Normal (2005)
[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0002/293/MI0002293261.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]
A kind of a concept album based upon the guitarist's actual experiences. Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal has been plagued by bipolar disorder all his life, and this deals with his struggle with medication. Whilst medicated, he found himself completely unable to be creative, which ultimately led him to conclude that he'd much rather deal with being miserable some times than spend a life without the ability to write music. The lyric "It was so nice to be normal, to be normal for a change" is a direct reference to this. A few months after the release of this album, Ron made his debut as a member of Guns N' Roses, replacing the departed Buckethead (yes... you read that correctly).
Best Songs: Real; Rockstar For A Day; The Colour Of Justice

86) Queen - Jazz (1978)

Some people say it's 'Queen II'. Others say either 'A Day At The Races', or more likely 'A Night At The Opera'. But I firmly believe that this is the best album in Queen's catalogue.
Best Songs: Fat Bottomed Girls; Bicycle Race; Don't Stop Me Now

85) Nightwish - Imaginaeurm (2011)

Nightwish returned in 2011 with 'Imaginaerum'. This was something I never expected to hear from this band... a few of the tracks retain the symphonic metal sound the band had become known for, but the majority of the album delves into other sounds that sound like nothing the band had ever done before. For example, 'Slow Love Slow' is a jazzy track, and 'Scaretale' is kind of a dark cabaret track as written by Danny Elfman for a Tim Burton movie. In fact, Danny Elfman's work with Burton is an influence that can be heard all over this album. This all may have something to do with the fact that it was written as a soundtrack/companion piece to a movie of the same name, co-written by keyboardist and Nightwish's lead songwriter, Tuomas Holopainen. The movie was released in Finland last December, and has received positive reviews from what I have seen. I look forward to seeing it.
Unfortunately, this will be the last album to feature singer Anette Olzon, who amicably split from the band late last year.
Best Songs: I Want My Tears Back; Scaretale; The Crow, The Owl, And The Dove

84) Soundgarden - Screaming Life (1987)

The first release from Soundgarden (this is before Ben Shepherd had joined the band, with bass instead being played by Hiro Yamamoto) gives listeners a general idea of what to expect from the band's future. One of the most impressive early "grunge" records. Unfortunately, when it came to releasing their debut full-length album, they delivered the almost unbearable 'Ultramega OK', but this was soon rectified.
Best Song: Hunted Down

83) Smashing Pumpkins - Machina/The Machines Of God (2000)

The final conventionally released album from the original version of the Smashing Pumpkins (although bassist D'Arcy Wretzky left the band halfway through recording). It's still the object of unbridled hatred among many music fans to this day for some reason. It combines the more raw material from their early period with the electronic/industrial music they'd been dabbling with since the release of 'Mellon Collie', and as far as I'm concerned it does it extremely well. I can understand Billy Corgan's problems with it, though, as this pretty much signalled the end of the Pumpkins as they were, with the band breaking up at the end of that year.
Best Songs: The Everlasting Gaze; Stand Inside Your Love; The Crying Tree Of Mercury

82) Motorhead - Ace Of Spades (1980)

Motorhead are one of those band's that are definitely an acquired taste. If you can forgive the fact that they're still exactly the same now as they were in 1977, with absolutely zero progression then you can love them. I've been entertained by their live performances, but I can't really decide whether I love them or hate them. But I can tell you that this album is a brilliant slice of heavy metal.
Best Songs: Ace Of Spades; (We Are) The Road Crew; Jailbait

81) Foo Fighters - Foo Fighters (1995)

Following the suicide of Kurt Cobain, Nirvana's drummer Dave Grohl entered the studio to record an album as a brief distraction before he decided what he was going to do next. Playing everything himself (except for a couple of guest appearances from Barrett Jones and Greg Dulli), this was the logical progression of his former project, Late!
Releasing the album under the name Foo Fighters, Grohl quickly formed a band to tour... by the time they played the second stage at the Reading Festival in a tent that was surrounded by a huge crowd of people who couldn't fit into, he must have realised that this was what he was going to do next.
Best Songs: This Is A Call; Big Me; Alone + Easy Target

80) Aerosmith - Toys In The Attic (1975)

Aerosmith's first album was when they really started to live up to their potential.
Best Songs: Toys In The Attic; Sweet Emotion

79) Aerosmith - Permanent Vacation (1987)

The early to mid-80's weren't kind to Aerosmith. Internal strife and drug addiction combined with increasingly dwindling sales had almost destroyed the band. However, after the breakthrough of re-recording 'Walk This Way' with Run-DMC, the band returned with a more commercial sound in 1987 with 'Permanent Vacation' and found a new lease of life. It didn't come easy, as on the tour promoting this album people would turn up to watch the opening act (Guns N' Roses) and then leave before Aerosmith hit the stage. I think Axl Rose threatening to wait outside the venue and beat the shit out of anyone leaving before Aerosmith started after he got annoyed at this may have helped a little bit...
Best Songs: Heart's Done Time; Hangman Jury; Permanent Vacation

78) Slash - Slash (2010)

Slash's first proper solo album (Slash's Snakepit doesn't actually count) saw him taking a leaf out of Carlos Santana's book and bringing in a group of guest singers. Some of the people involved were quite obvious (Ozzy Osbourne, Iggy Pop), others were more surprising but inspired (Andrew Stockdale, M. Shadows), and others raised a few skeptical eyebrows (Fergie of the Black-Eyed Peas, Maroon 5's Adam Levine).
And the big surprise was that each and every track worked! Fergie's track 'Beautiful Dangerous' convinced me that she should quit that Black-Eyed Peas lark and become a full-time hard rock singer. Adam Levine's track sounded a little bit like Maroon 5, but it also sounded unmistakably like Slash. One of the highlights though was actually an instrumental featuring Duff McKagan on bass, and Dave Grohl on drums called 'Watch This'. My only real criticisms are Myles Kennedy's voice on 'Starlight' which in the chorus sounds horrible, and the subject matter of 'Crucify The Dead'. The lyrics were written by Ozzy Osbourne about "what I'd say to Axl if I were Slash"... I just don't think that has anything to do with Ozzy, and he should have kept out of it.
Best Songs: Beautiful Dangerous; By The Sword; Watch This

77) The Dead Boys - Young, Loud And Snotty (1977)

A brilliant punk rock album from the US. 'Sonic Reducer' is one of the genre's greatest songs.
Best Songs: Sonic Reducer; All This And More

76) Tommy Stinson - One Man Mutiny (2011)
[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0003/213/MI0003213982.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]
Tommy Stinson's second solo album was written and recorded in gaps between touring with Guns N' Roses (who have actually been pretty active since 2006, with hardly any gaps in touring). This is a great straight-up rock 'n' roll record which features contributions from fellow Guns N' Roses members Dizzy Reed, Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer, as well as his wife Emily Roberts. It was also supposed to feature a duet with former Replacements bandmate Paul Westerberg, but Westerberg recorded his parts using the wrong file format, so it had to be re-recorded by Emily. The song was 'Match Made In Hell', which would have been appropriate for the Westerberg/Stinson relationship. Hopefully not so appropriate for his relationship with Emily.
Best Songs: Destroy Me; One Man Mutiny

75) A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step (2011)

The second album by A Perfect Circle sees Billy Howerdel, Maynard James Keenan, Josh Freese and new member Jeordie White take a turn away from the "alternative metal" found on their debut, as they found it to be too similar to Maynard's work with Tool. Instead this is album is more in the tradition of The Cure. Perhaps for the first time, for the entirety of the album Maynard's voice is at the forefront, really driving home how great a singer he really is.
Best Songs: The Package; Weak And Powerless; Pet

74) Jane's Addiction - Nothing's Shocking (1988)

the first studio album from 'Nothing's Shocking' (somewhat confusingly, their first release was actually a live album), features the band on the top of their game. It's a shame that they never again released a full album as great as this.
Best Songs: Ted, Just Admit It...; Mountain Song

73) The Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet (1968)

The golden period of the Stones' career officially began here. From this point until the mid-70's The Rolling Stones were the greatest rock band in the world, and actually did no wrong (well... not musically). It's quite amazing that a band can release so much classic material in such a short space of time. And it all started with the opening chords of 'Sympathy For The Devil'.
Best Songs: Sympathy For The Devil; Jigsaw Puzzle

And you can stop reading now, Gimli... that's the last entry to include Queen.

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 85
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 27/2/2013 12:46:53 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A Day At The Races is amazing. As is Jazz, but as you say it's not often you see it as someone's favourite Queen Album,

Much more better!

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 86
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 1/3/2013 11:49:12 AM   
AxlReznor

72) Alice In Chains - Facelift (1990)

The first album from Alice In Chains showcasing the impressive harmonised vocals of Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell. At this point, AIC were still more of a traditional metal band, with the darkness finally taking over their music on their next album.
Best Songs: We Die Young; Man In The Box; Real Thing

71) Aerosmith - Get A Grip (1993)

In the early 90's, no one wrote the anthemic power ballad like Aerosmith, and 'Get A Grip' features three of their best and most well-known in 'Cryin'', 'Crazy', and 'Amazing'. Naturally, opinion is divided about whether or not this is a good thing, but I think they're fantastic.
Best Songs: Cryin'; Crazy; Amazing

70) Amanda Palmer - Who Killed Amanda Palmer (2008)

The Dresden Dolls went hiatus after the release of 'No, Virginia...', and the duo's pianist, singer and songwriter Amanda Palmer went into the studio with Ben Folds. As opposed to the simple set-up of piano and drums for the Dolls, 'Who Killed Amanda Palmer' features far more complex instrumentation. There is a photobook that was released as a companion to this album, showing Palmer dead in various ways, with writing from Neil Gaiman. Fast forward a few years after this first meeting, Amanda and Neil are now happily married.
Best Songs: Runs In The Family; Ampersand; Oasis

69) Green Day - Insomniac (1995)

Less than a year after the release of 'Dookie', Green Day returned with 'Insomniac', an album that mainly retained the style of the previous record, but far heavier and darker lyrics. 'Panic Song' deals with bassist Mike Dirnt's panic attacks, and the album title and 'Brain Stew' deal with Billie Joe Armstrong's insomnia. Green Day's best work.
Best Songs: Armatage Shanks; Panic Song; Walking Contradiction

68) Smashing Pumpkins - Machina II/The Friends And Enemies Of Modern Music (2000)

Long before the likes of Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails were giving their albums away for free, the Smashing Pumpkins came up with the idea. After their record label, Virgin - disappointed with sales of the original 'Machina' - refused to release part two of the band's concept album, Billy Corgan secretly sent vinyl prints of the album (along with three EP's, featuring alternate versions of tracks, and others that didn't make the final tracklist) to a number of fans in the online community with the instructions to distribute the music online free of charge. Fans of the band immediately began to hail it as the band's best album since 'Mellon Collie...' and a return to form for the band after they had been disappointed by 'Adore' and the original 'Machina'. It is definitely the best of those three albums, featuring music ranging from the trashy 'White Spyder', to the melancholy 'If There Is A God' and almost everything in between. The album is due to receive it's first full release this year, where it will be packaged with a reissue of 'Machina/The Machines Of God'.
Best Songs: Dross; Real Love; If There Is A God

67) Black Sabbath - Master Of Reality (1971)

Black Sabbath's third album, in which the blues influences aren't as evident (though they are still there), and the distinctive sound of 'heavy metal' became fully realised for the first time. Not only that, but this album would eventually go on to inspire the band's that started the 'stoner metal' sub-genre.
Best Songs: Sweet Leaf; Children Of The Grave

66) Lacuna Coil - In A Reverie (1999)

Lacuna Coil's first full-length album.
Best Songs: Circle; To Myself I Turned

65) System Of A Down - System Of A Down (1998)

System Of A Down - with their schizophrenic loud-soft-loud-soft-LOUDER brand of metal - emerged in 1998 with their self-titled debut album, leaving many people not knowing what they'd just listened to. It's one of those moments when people realise that they had never heard anything like this before. Serj Tankian's vocals (which could go from growling, to screaming, to singing in the space of a few seconds), and their political lyrics inspired by their Armenian heritage (Armenian folk music is also a big influence on the band's sound), struck a chord with people. They didn't really hit the big time until the release of 'Toxicity', but this is one of those cases in which the first album really is the best.
Best Songs: Suite-Pee; Sugar; War?

64) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Mother's Milk (1989)

The early years of the Red Hot Chili Peppers saw the line-up constantly fluctuating, with the only consistent elements being Anthony Kiedis and Flea. With the departure of drummer Jack Irons, and the death of guitarist Hillel Slovak (another victim of heroin), the band went through many temporary replacements until finally settling on what would become the most consistent line-up of the band. John Frusciante was brought in to play guitar, and drummer Chad Smith would eventually fill Irons' shoes. That this was the line-up that would bring the band more attention is evident from the first notes of 'Good Time Boys', as the band's trademark funk is combined with a more traditional hard rock sound. There are some good tracks on 'The Uplift Mofo Party Plan', but on 'Mother's Milk', for the first time the band sound confident in their abilities, which really helps the music... particularly on their cover of Stevie Wonder's 'Higher Ground'.
Best Songs: Higher Ground; Knock Me Down; Johnny, Kick A Hole In The Sky

63) Michael Jackson - HIStory: Past, Present And Future, Book I (1995)

Disc One of this double album from the "King Of Pop" is a Greatest Hits collection consisting of material from throughout his solo career until that point. But ignore that, as it's not relevant to this list... Disc Two, however, is an album of all-new material. As well as the usual MJ fare (like 'Earth Song'), there are also far more aggressive-sounding songs on this album, with lyrics taking aim at the media's portrayal of him, the police and District Attorney Tom Sneddon (that particular song is called 'D.S.' and the lyric sheet says 'Dom Sheldon', but it's obvious that's not what he's singing), who attempted to make his name by pressing to prosecute him on child abus allegations. Most critics of the album seem to centre on these lyrics with the "aww... the rich man feels violated" kind of response, as if if you have a successful career and money you should just quietly take all of the ugly things that are said about you without complaining. I personally think that all the money in the world can't make you happy when you're in the kind of situation he was in.
Best Songs: Scream; Stranger In Moscow; Earth Song

62) Korn - Korn III: Remember Who You Are (2010)

It seems like every time Korn attempt to experiment with their sound they are met with mixed to negative reviews... and often with good reason. And every time their response is a short-lived "back-to-basics" approach. This was the case with the follow-up to the band's patchy untitled album, with the band going so far this time as returning to their original producer Ross Robinson. Returning to the kind of music that could be found on their debut album, the band actually managed to improve on that original formula. It's surprising just how good this album is from start to finish. As much as I like 'The Path To Totality' (their latest album, which experiments with dubstep), I would have preferred them to carry on with things like this, because the band are just so much better when they are a straight-forward nu-metal band with no pretense of experimentation.
Best Songs: Oildale (Leave Me Alone); Holding All These Lies

61) Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast (1983)

After firing Paul Di'Anno, Iron Maiden brought Bruce Dickinson into the fold and recorded 'The Number Of The Beast'. This album is the crowning achievement in a long (completely unvaried) career for the UK heavy metal band. Never again would Iron Maiden sound this great, though (although as you should know by now, they have released other albums that I've liked since then). One of the best UK albums of all time.
Best Songs: Run To The Hills; Hallowed Be Thy Name

60) Social Distortion - Social Distortion (1990)

1988's 'Prison Bound' was the album in which Social Distortion first played in what has become their trademark "country punk" style. But this album (their first on major label, Epic), is where the band took that sound, ran with it and perfected it. In fact, I can pinpoint the exact song in which Mike Ness and co. had perfected it, and that is 'Story Of My Life' - even if it feels like it will never end in Guitar Hero III.
Best Songs: So Far Away; Story Of My Life

59) Smashing Pumpkins - Teargarden By Kaleidyscope Vol. 2: The Solstice Bare (2010)

The second part of Billy Corgan's 'Teargarden By Kaleidyscope' project. After easing into the project with the first part, Corgan seems to have some idea of where he wanted this to go by this point, and the result is a far superior release than the last, with 'Tom Tom' being one of the best songs written by him in some time. After this, two tracks of Volume 3 were released, utilising the full then-current line-up of the band to record together since the earliest recordings for 'Machina' (with 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness' being the last full album recorded by a full line-up of the band), and then he seemed to abandon the idea instead taking the band into the studio to record a conventionally released full-length album.
Best Song: Tom Tom

58) Muse - Showbiz (1999)

Long before they were the UK's most prominent purveyors of conspiracy theory-obsessed, epic, OTT space rock, Muse were just an indie-rock band from Devon being unfavourably compared to Radiohead. This comparison was never really fair (with the only real similarity being that Matt Bellamy sings in the same kind of range as Thom Yorke... just better). 'Showbiz' a great debut from the then-young band, showcasing the band at their most straight-forward.
Best Songs: Sunburn; Unintended; Hate This And I'll Love You

57) Tool - Opiate (1992)

Tool's debut EP, which is in a similar style to their album from the next year, 'Undertow'.
Best Song: Jerk-Off

56) Black Sabbath - Heaven And Hell (1980)

Listen to Black Sabbath's catalogue with Ozzy Osbourne, and there's a noticable fall in quality by the time they get to 'Technical Ecstasy', though all albums up to that point, including that one are good records. The biggest turning point though comes in 'Never Say Die!', which it would be generous to call a poor album. It was obvious that not all was well with the band, and by the end of 1979, Osbourne had been fired.
His replacement was former Rainbow singer, Ronnie James Dio, and together they recorded a Black Sabbath album that was not only a return to form for the ailing band, but one of the best albums the band has ever produced. It's obviously a very different kind of record to the type they had done with Ozzy up until that point, with the band now having a lot more in common with some of their more recent contemporaries at the time. It's a shame that this line-up of the band would be relatively short-lived, as in comparison none of the other non-Ozzy singers the band have had have been able to compare to Dio.
Best Songs: Neon Knights; Heaven And Hell

55) Temple Of The Dog - Temple Of The Dog (1991)

Soundgarden's Chris Cornell was a flatmate of Mother Love Bone singer Andrew Wood, and after the latter's death, Cornell wrote two songs in tribute to his friend, 'Say Hello 2 Heaven', and 'Reach Down'. He took them to Wood's MLB bandmates, Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament, and along with Soundgarden drummer Matt Cameron and guitarist Mike McCready Temple Of The Dog were born. Together they wrote a further eight tracks, and they released their only album. Stylistically, Temple Of The Dog is far lighter than Soundgarden, so Cornell for the first time made full use of the soulful side of his voice. You could hear every ounce of emotion in the tracks written for Wood.
The best song, though, features a duet between Cornell and a young singer from Illinois who had auditioned for a new band featuring Gossard, Ament and McCready named Eddie Vedder. 'Hunger Strike' is in my opinion, one of the greatest songs ever written. And nowadays (with Matt Cameron a member of both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam) it is pretty much Pearl Jam featuring Chris Cornell... a great combination.
Best Songs: Say Hello 2 Heaven; Hunger Strike

Post #: 87
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 1/3/2013 3:40:26 PM   
AxlReznor

Because I was away again yesterday, I'm playing catch-up here... so here's my second lot for today.

54) Black Sabbath - Paranoid (1970)

Black Sabbath's second and still their greatest album. With the exception of 'Hand Of Doom' and 'Rat Salad', every track on here is among the band's all-time greats.
Best Songs: War Pigs; Iron Man

53) Muse - Absolution (2003)

'Absolution' is Muse's album, and it marked the point in which the indie rockers evolved into some a lot more grandiose. It's also the album in which they finally became as huge as I knew they were going to be the first time I heard 'Plug-In Baby'. 'Butterflies And Hurricanes' is another one that is high up on my list of the greatest songs of all time.
Best Songs: Butterflies And Hurricanes; The Small Print; Thoughts Of A Dying Atheist

52) Guns N' Roses - Lies (1988)

'Appetite For Destruction' had just hit the stratosphere, and the touring commitments for Guns N' Roses were rapidly mounting up, preventing them from returning to the studio to record a full follow-up at that point. So instead, the band's first EP, 'Live Like A Suicide' was re-packaged along with four new acoustic tracks and released as 'Lies'. Those new tracks showed a different side to Guns N' Roses than had previously been displayed, especially on the tender ballad, 'Patience'. Unfortunately, allegations of racism and homophobia (due to lyrics in the track, 'One In A Million', which tells the story of Axl's leaving rural Indiana for the first time and travelling to the city... I'd say it was supposed to show how ignorant he was at the time and he had since learned his lesson, and therefore is justified in the same way it's justified in Django Unchained, though there has been much debtate about this over the years), and misogyny (due to the jokey 'Used To Love Her', for which he didn't even write the lyrics but still was the target of hatred) mired the release the album in controversy. None of that stops this from being a great record. The semi-acoustic version of 'You're Crazy' found on this record is far superior to the faster-paced electric version found on 'Appetite For Destruction'.
Best Songs: Patience: Used To Love Her

51) Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile (1999)

The follow-up to the breakthrough album 'The Downward Spiral' is a vast, epic double album. Trent Reznor's experiments in soundscapes, electronic beats and ambient noise along with a greater emphasis on melody sets this album apart from the far more abrasive, distorted industrial music of 'The Downward Spiral'. With nearly two hours of music that goes through melancholic piano instrumentals, soothing ballads, the band's industrial metal, and in instrumental 'Complication' even plays a little with dance music, 'The Fragile' is Reznor's most sprawling, ambitious recording to date. In fact, so stubborn is its refusal to be pigeon-holed into a particular sound, listening to the full record in one setting can try the patience of some listeners. For this reason the album received mixed reviews upon release, and the man himself has commented on how he never wants to make an album like this again. It's a fascinating record, and a thing of beauty that is the most underrated in NIN's catalogue, though.
Best Songs: The Day The World Went Away; Just Like You Imagined; Starfuckers, Inc.

50) Duff McKagan's Loaded - Sick (2009)

In 2008, Velvet Revolver fell apart with Scott Weiland announcing on stage that the people there were witnessing the "last ever Velvet Revolver tour", taking fans and the rest of the band (who insist they were already planning to fire him) by surprise. And as far as I'm concerned, it's a good thing, because as great as Velvet Revolver were for a while, their "hiatus" (which is looking more and more like a plain old break-up all the time) freed bass player Duff McKagan up to restart Loaded. Another band called Loaded threatened a lawsuit, however, so they were forced to rename themselves Duff McKagan's Loaded. It's ironic that adding his name to the band and thus making it sound like a solo project came at this point, because it was also the point where Loaded officially became a band in their own right. Duff, along with guitarist Mike Squires, bassist Jeff Rouse and drummer Geoff Reading spent a few months in 2008 recording, 'Sick', their first album since 2001's 'Dark Days', before embarking on a UK tour and an EP consisting of tracks from the album that Autumn in which they struck up a rapport with their fans that it's all but impossible for band's the size of Velvet Revolver or Guns N' Roses to achieve. The full album came the following Spring, and it's one of the most enjoyable slices of hard rock to have been released in quite some time. The title tracks was a song performed by the band when they were touring for 'Dark Days', but everything else was brand new, including the incredibly catchy 'Sleaze Factory', 'Translucent' - featuring vocals from Jeff Rouse, and the 'Exile On Main St.' era Stonesy ballad, 'Wasted Heart' - Duff's ode to his wife, Susan. Records like this prove that there's no need to reinvent the wheel when there are so many spokes left to discover on the ones already existing.
Best Songs: Sick; Sleaze Factory; Translucent

49) Nirvana - Bleach (1989)

Nirvana's first album is a raw and ugly combination of punk and metal, with none of the pretense that band's in those genres had been displaying in the previous decade. Cobain was a banshee of emotion, screaming at the top of his lungs with distorted guitar. And in amongst this, the Beatles-esque 'About A Girl' showed the commercial sheen that would be exploited to its full extent for 'Nevermind'. No one could have foreseen at this point how big Nirvana would become. But listening to this nowadays, it should have seemed inevitable.
Best Songs: About A Girl; Negative Creep

48) David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars (1972)

David Bowie created Ziggy Stardust - a supernaturally talented rock star from Mars - for what is still the best album he has ever recorded. Every single track, from 'Five Years' to 'Rock 'n' Roll Suicide' would deserve its own entry. 'The Man Who Sold The World' and 'Hunky Dory' were enough to plant the seeds of glam rock, but 'Ziggy Stardust' saw them grow into something far greater.
Best Songs: Lady Stardust; Ziggy Stardust

47) Aerosmith - Rocks (1976)

Aerosmith's fourth album sees the band at the peak of their talents and is among the most influential rock albums of all time.
Best Songs: Back In The Saddle; Rats In The Cellar

46) The Cure - Disintegration (1989)

'Disintegration' marks both the commercial and artistic peak of The Cure's career. The second part of their "trilogy" of dark gothic rock albums isn't an easy listen, by any means, but it's a highly rewarding one.
Best Songs: Pictures Of You; Lovesong; Lullaby

45) Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline (2012)

Since Lacuna Coil became a commercial hit after the release of 'Karmacode', they seemed to have lost their way for a little while, resulting in the disappointing 'Shallow Life'. Luckily, they managed to find their way back again with 'Dark Adrenaline', which is a stunning album from start to finish. The best thing the band have ever recorded, even if it is still lacking the atmospherics of their earliest releases.
Best Songs: Trip The Darkness; Against You; I Don't Believe In Tomorrow

44) Smashing Pumpkins - Gish (1991)

The debut album from Billy Corgan and co. was financed and released by the band themselves, becoming the biggest selling independent release of all time (I may be wrong, but I think it may still hold that record). So strong was the buzz around the Smashing Pumpkins that they were immediately snapped up by Virgin Records and the album was reissued on that label, reaching an even larger audience.
We were a long way from the multi-layered lush production of future releases, with this album being more of a straight hybrid of heavy metal and shoegaze/dreampop, but it showed a major songwriting talent in Billy Corgan, even if his lyrics did (and still do) often fall into insipid spiritualism.
Best Songs: Siva; Snail

43) Pearl Jam - Vitalogy (1994)

Pearl Jam's third album.
Best Songs: Spin The Black Circle; Nothingman; Better Man

42) Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)

By 1994, many of the band's caught up in the "grunge" phenomenon (something, that considering the sheer diversity of sounds you could hear in the different bands of this era is just a horrible pigeon-holing of bands that really shared nothing but geographical location and - sometimes - dress sense) were expanding upon the sound that made them famous. The sludge-like riffing of Soundgarden's 'Badmotorfinger' for example, weren't completely abandoned for 'Superunknown', but were less prominent with elements of psychedelia (something that really showed in the video's for songs on this album) and at times even Middle Eastern influences finding their way into the recordings. Alternative tunings came into play for the guitars on many tracks, and the dark subject matter made this a distinctly early 90's record (I called it once, an album for the Twin Peaks generation due to the weird feeling you get listening to it). It's hard to categorise, but it's not hard to know that you're hearing a great band performing one of their best albums.
Best Songs: Fell On Black Days; Limo Wreck; The Day I Tried To Live

41) Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape (1997)

After the first album was a surprise hit, Dave Grohl went back into the studio with his touring Foo Fighters (including Pat Smear, Nate Mendel and William Goldsmith) line-up for the first time to record the cover-up. Goldsmith left the band partway through recording, leaving Grohl to play drums on almost every track, but 'The Colour And The Shape' has since gone down in rock history as one of the best albums of the 1990's. Pretty much every track is pure pop-rock perfection.
Best Songs: Monkey Wrench; Hey, Johnny Park!; Everlong

40) The Replacements - Tim (1985)

'Tim' is the first major label release from The Replacements. Produced by Tommy Ramone (of The Ramones), the album shows the diversity of Paul Westerberg's influences. This album in turn has gone on to influence many bands (among them Green Day) over the years. One of the best album's of the 1980's.
Best Songs: Bastards Of Young; Here Comes A Regular

39) Stone Sour - House Of Gold & Bones Part 1 (2012)

The first part of Stone Sour's concept album was released last year. The second greatest album of the year (after another album that I'll be talking about in Monday's entry). If the second part (due out in April) lives up to the standard set by this, it'll be amazing.
Best Songs: Tired; Taciturn

38) Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (2011)

Dave Grohl, Chris Shiflett, Nate Mendel, Taylor Hawkins and the returning Pat Smear went into the studio in 2010 with the legendary Butch Vig (producer of Nirvana's 'Nevermind'), which resulted in the best Foo Fighters album ever. Most band's don't sound this good seven albums in. Flawless.
Best Songs: Bridge Burning; Walk

37) Korn - Issues (1999)

If 'Wake Up' (chorus: "I can't take no more. What are we fighting for. You are my brothers, each one I would die for. Please just let this go. All our heads are blown. Let's take the stage and remember what we play for") had existed a few years before, I can think of a certain band I'd've wanted to have listened to it and taken its message on board. But as well as that, 'Issues' is consistently Korn at their very best.
Best Songs: Falling Away From Me; Make Me Bad; Wake Up

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 88
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 4/3/2013 12:22:01 PM   
AxlReznor

36) Alice In Chains - Dirt (1992)

By 1992, the public were lapping up anything that came out of Seattle thanks to Nirvana's 'Nevermind' and Pearl Jam's 'Ten' both being released the previous year and becoming the first "grunge" records (as stupid as the term is) to break through to the mainstream. So, 'Dirt' by Alice In Chains had a distinct advantage when it came to the success it achieved. Luckily, however, it's an album that's every bit deserving of said success, and the best thing to bear the Alice In Chains name. The songs written by Layne Staley are some of the darkest of the period, based upon his experiences with heroin addiction. These songs are kind of structured like a concept album, so 'Junkhead' is about the arrogant attitude drug users adopt when they first start taking them ("you can't understand a users mind, but try with your books and degrees. If you let yourself go and open your mind, maybe you'll be doing like me, and it ain't so bad"), but by the time of 'Hate To Feel' and 'Angry Chair', the effects of heroin abuse have taken their toll and the result is deeply depressing. Jerry Cantrell's slow-paced, chugging riffs compliment this to make one of the thematically heaviest albums ever to achieve mainstream rotation.
Best Songs: Down In A Hole; Hate To Feel; Would?

35) Tool - Ænima (1996)

With the replacement of original bass player Paul D'Amour with Justin Chancellor, Tool took a turn for the ambitious. Ænima is defined by its odd time signatures and tunings, as well as its scope, with several songs approaching 10 minutes in length (and the final track, 'Third Eye' coming close to 15). The band's lyrics also took on more diversity, with the albums theme being stated as Egyptian mythology in a seven-pointed star symbolizing Babalon, and sacred geometry in dividing the planet into grids related to chromosomes. Pretentious? Yes... but when the music on offer is this good, it doesn't matter. There are also attacks on popular culture in LA (the title track), L. Ron Hubbard and Jesus Christ ('Eulogy'), and elitist music snobs ('Hooker With A Penis'), as well as an ode to the sexual art of fisting ('Stinkfist'), so it's not all existential crap and mythology.
Best Songs: Stinkfist; Eulogy; Forty Six & 2

34) Bumblefoot - Abnormal (2008)

'Abnormal' is Bumblefoot's first solo album since joining Guns N' Roses in 2006, and I believe the influence of that band's music really shows at some points here. What also shows through is the lyrics that sound like they reference some of the negative elements of being in a big rock band... in fact, many of the lyrics (including "When the whole world looks at me, they see some other guy. It doesn't matter what I say, they've all made up their minds"), sound like they could have been written by Axl Rose himself. It's also a sequel to his previous album, 'Normal', and this time is based upon his life away from antidepressants, which might also explain the generally angrier tone to be found throughout, which is echoed with some of the hardest riffs that he has ever written.
'Dash' is a notable exception, and it has one of the most interesting themes I've heard... it's based upon going to a funeral of a friend of his and looking at the gravestone. He saw the years and thought, "everything that this man was, all of the important parts... his entire life, were reduced to a dash between the two years". The lyrics are pretty life-affirming, with the message of making that dash mean as much as possible. It's a positive note to go out on, considering a lot of the rest of the record.
Best Songs: Abnormal; Glad To Be Here; Dash

33) Red Hot Chili Peppers - One Hot Minute (1995)

John Frusciante temporarily left the Red Hot Chili Peppers in the 90's, to be replaced by former Jane's Addiction guitarist Dave Navarro. This line-up of the band only released one album together, which has since been savaged by the band, fans and critics alike. You'll never hear a song from this album at a Chili Peppers gig nowadays. I actually think it's the most underrated album of the band's catalogue, with some fantastic songs. It gets a bit strange with songs suddenly changing direction at the halfway point, and the music does sound closer to Jane's Addiction than anything else in the Chili Peppers catalogue, but it's a nice little oddity. 'My Friends' is among my favourite of their songs.
Best Songs: Aeroplane; My Friends; Shallow Be Thy Game

32) Smashing Pumpkins - Oceania (2012)

Seemingly abandoning the 'Teargarden By Kaleidyscope' concept (though there's a possibility that may resume at some point), Billy Corgan and his new line-up of Smashing Pumpkins (guitarist Jeff Schroeder, bassist Nicole Fiorentino and drummer Mike Byrne) went into the studio in 2011 to record a full-length, conventionally released album. Early buzz was positive, and with good reason, as the first album to feature the full current line-up of the band since 'Machina' is the best album that the band have released since their mid-90's peak. Corgan appears to have achieved the feat that Trent Reznor is so good at... making an album that is familiar enough for old fans to be able to enjoy, yet different enough to take them into a whole new direction. It's taken him half a decade to do it, but he seems to have finally found a place in the band in which he is happy.
Best Songs: Quasar; Panopticon; Pinwheels

31) Red Hot Chili Peppers - Californication (1999)

John Frusciante returned to the Chili Peppers in 1998, and the band immediately hit the studio to record what would become the best album of the band's career. Some people say that 'BloodSugarSexMagik' is better, or any of their albums from the 80's (two of which were absolutely awful), but the level of songwriting on display in 'Californication', along with Anthony Kiedis delivering his finest vocal performances (both rapped and sung) show all the hallmarks of a band at the top of their game. Personally, I believe it's a kind of elitist thing... the Chili Peppers exploded when this album was released, so naturally people decided that they were sell-outs.
Best Songs: Parallel Universe; Scar Tissue; Emit Remmus

30) Metallica - Ride The Lightning (1984)

Metallica's second album was an infinite improvement on the samey 'Kill 'Em All'. Several songs incorporate acoustic guitar intros before kicking in with the band's trademark thrash metal riffs.
Best Songs: For Whom The Bell Tolls; The Call Of Ktulu

29) Soundgarden - Louder Than Love (1989)

The second full-length album by Soundgarden shows a band that has grown into its sound. 'Ultramega OK' was a bit of a sloppy mess when compared to the previously released EP, 'Screaming Life', so they really had to prove that they were capable of producing a great full-length album, and this album proved it in spades. Soundgarden were already the first band from the Seattle scene to sign to a major label, and after this was released they were hugely tipped to be the first of those bands to break into the mainstream. Their follow-up, breakthrough record was beaten to the punch by less than a month, however.
Best Songs: Ugly Truth; Loud Love; Big Dumb Sex

28) Iggy & The Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

'Raw Power' opens with one of the best opening tracks of any record ever. 'Search And Destroy' introduces you to the record at a breakneck pace and lets you know exactly what you're in for over the next 34 minutes. Raw, unbridled garage rock, with the centrepiece being Iggy Pop's voice which jumps between low-pitched singing, to demented howling at will. This is probably the root of the tradition that "if you want to be a great rock singer, you need an impressive scream". Personally, I usually prefer a sleek production on a record, but if there's ever an album that required the bare-bones, keep all the mistakes in approach, 'Raw Power' is it.
Best Songs: Search And Destroy; Raw Power

27) Metallica - Master Of Puppets (1986)

'Master Of Puppet's is practically a remake of 'Ride The Lightning'. It follows the exact same formula with it's tracklist (eight tracks, start short heavy, follow with the longer title track, incorporate an acoustic guitar as a brief respite from the barrage before resuming, and have an instrumental which features an extended bass solo). The biggest difference being that 'Master Of Puppets' is a far better executed album, with Metallica perfecting their sound. If they carried on like this (which a lot of their fans seem to think they should have), it would have gotten very boring, very fast, though.
Best Songs: Master Of Puppets; Orion

26) A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms (2000)

If there's any album that you wouldn't expect to be connected to Guns N' Roses, the debut gothic metal album from A Perfect Circle would probably be it. But here's the story... guitarist and primary songwriter was working as a technician for Guns N' Roses during the early days of recording for 'Chinese Democracy' (probably brought in by Robin Finck who had worked with him before whilst on tour with Nine Inch Nails). One of the things he requested from Axl Rose was his own studio so that he would be able to write and record his own demo's. Howerdel's flatmate at the time happened to be Tool's Maynard James Keenan, who heard some of these demo's and immediately fell in love with them. Howerdel had no intention at the time of making his songwriting a career and considered it a hobby he did on the side whilst working behind the scenes. Keenan and Howerdel eventually played some shows together with Danny Lohner, Paz Lenchantin and drummer Tim Alexander under the name A Perfect Circle. However, it was the current Guns N' Roses drummer Josh Freese who Keenan turned to when he wanted to help convince Billy to record an album.
The three of them recorded 'Mer de Noms' together, with both Howerdel and Freese eventually leaving work on 'Chinese Democracy' to go on tour in support of Nine Inch Nails (joined again by bass player Paz Lenchantin - who played violin on several songs on the album, and guitarist Troy van Leeuwen). The album itself shows a melodic side of Maynard James Keenan rarely seen in Tool, with him showing off the versatility of his voice with the tender and beautiful '3 LIbras' (another of my favourite songs of all time), and showing off his more aggressive side with 'Judith' - questioning his mother's continued faith despite her spending most of her life paralysed... ("It's not like you killed someone. It's not like you drove a hateful spear into his side. Praise the one who left you broken down and paralysed. He did it all for you"). It's a shame that now that the band have returned from hiatus (with a new line-up consisting of former Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, bassist Matt McJunkins and drummer Jeff Friedl), it's unlikely that we'll hear any new material from them, as I believe Maynard's full potential is fulfilled by A Perfect Circle, in a way that it is rarely utilised in his other projects.
Best Songs: The Hollow; Judith; 3 Libras

25) Nirvana - Nevermind (1991)

What can be said about Nirvana's breakthrough album that hasn't already been said before. Cobain's combination of punky songwriting, combined with an incredible ear for hooks, and deceptively simple guitar-playing, the amazing power of new drummer Dave Grohl, the driving bass of Krist Novoselic (the band's unsung hero, without which Nirvana's song would just never have worked), combined with the expert production of Butch Vig created an album that helped define a generation that still stands up over two decades later. Compared to Nirvana's other material, 'Nevermind' is a very pop-oriented commercial record which has led to something of a backlash amongst Seattle's purists, and for a long time I considered 'In Utero' to be superior. But upon listening to them all again recently, I realised just how great 'Nevermind' is. It's a fantastic album that can never and should never be replicated.
Best Songs: In Bloom; Stay Away; Something In the Way

24) Michael Jackson - Thriller (1982)

Michael Jackson's second collaboration with legendary producer Quincy Jones is the biggest selling album of all time. The combination of funk, soul and rock practically invented modern pop music (not necessarily a good legacy to leave, but an impressive one, nonetheless), and if you haven't heard it, there's a good chance you don't have ears.
Best Songs: Beat It; Human Nature

23) 10 Minute Warning - 10 Minute Warning (1998)
[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0000/153/MI0000153064.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]
Before moving to LA, partly to kick-start his music career, and partly to (ironically, as it would turn out) escape the heroin epidemic that had begun to plague his home city, Guns N' Roses' bass player Duff McKagan was involved in the sowing the seeds in Seattle that would grow in a big way. Notable early bands that McKagan played in (he learned a variety of instruments so that he could play whatever was needed) were The Vains, The Fastbacks (as one of that band's myriad drummers) and hardcore punk band The Fartz. Eventually, after several line-up changes, The Fartz evolved into 10 Minute Warning, with McKagan playing guitar along with the local legend Paul Solger on lead guitar, Greg Gilmore (who would eventually join Mother Love Bone) on drums, and vocalist Steve Verwolf.
For two years, 10 Minute Warning earned an impressive reputation in Seattle, landing an opening slot for The Replacements at one point (in case you haven't been reading prior to this, that band's bass player would end up replacing Duff in Guns N' Roses), and even inspiring Stone Gossard to pick up a guitar for the first time. The band's sound was also ahead of its time, slowing down the hardcore punk riffs to create a dark, slow-paced dirty sound that would become a hallmark of later Seattle bands. Despite recording demo's and contributing tracks to a few compilations released by independent labels, the band never actually released an album.
In 1997, after leaving Guns N' Roses however, a meeting with Stone Gossard convinced 10 Minute Warning to reunite (minus Verwolf who was in prison for a bank robbery at the time. His replacement was Christopher Blue) and record this self-titled album that was released on Sub Pop Records in 1998. The album consists of rearranged versions of tracks written in their first incarnation, with lyrics slightly rewritten by Blue, whose voice I would describe as like a gritter version of Chris Cornell's, just without such an impressive range.
By the time the album was released, however, the band had broken up again, and so they are still an almost unheard-of, yet highly important band in the history of music. Steve Verwolf was attempting to find all of the recordings made whilst he was in the band to release himself a few years ago (myself and my wife helped him track a few down), but it wasn't to be as in 2008 he sadly passed away after a heroin overdose.
Best Songs: No More Time; Is This The Way?

22) The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed (1969)

'Gimme Shelter' is possibly the greatest song ever written by Richards and Jagger. And as any fan of Martin Scorsese will tell you, including it in your movie automatically makes for a cool scene. Up until this point, 'Let It Bleed' as a full album was the greatest collection of songs in their catalogue. They would one-up themselves with the release of their next album, but this remains the greatest album released in the 1960's (unless you're a Beatles fan, of course).
Best Songs: Gimme Shelter; Live With Me

21) Bash & Pop - Friday Night Is Killing Me (1993)
[image]http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_500/MI0001/638/MI0001638070.jpg?partner=allrovi.com[/image]
The end of The Replacements in 1991, led to bass player Tommy Stinson (who had been a member of that band since he was 11 years old in 1979) switching up to guitar and vocals for his new band, Bash & Pop. The band struggled to find a consistent line-up, and 'Friday Night Is Killing Me' was their only album, which suffered from disappointing sales. But it's a great bit of Faces-influenced blues-rock which showcases Stinson's unique voice. Other than this, there were a couple of promo singles, as well as the track 'Making Me Sick' which was featured on the soundtrack to Clerks, but ultimately the band fell apart, leaving Tommy to form Perfect.
Best Songs: Never Aim To Please; First Steps

20) Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness (1995)

A two hour double CD (or triple vinyl) album is a tricky thing to pull off at the best of times. When you're a band who being asked to follow-up your breakthrough album that got almost unanimously fantastic reviews, and became one of the biggest hits of the 90's, going down that route could probably be considered an unecessary risk. But Billy Corgan is nothing if not ambitious, and that's exactly the route that he decided to take. 'Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness' is the definition of an epic album, with 28 tracks that take you on one of the greatest rollercoaster rides in the history of rock music. There's music on this album that is reminiscent of 'Siamese Dream', but that's only the jumping off point, with lavish string arrangements ('Tonight, Tonight'), screamy heavy metal ('X.Y.U.'), dreampop ('Farewell And Goodnight'), slow-burning epics that explode in bursts of grandiose genius ('Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans'), and seemingly every other type of song on display here. I can't listen to this album without experiencing seemingly every emotion at once. The Pumpkins (and nobody) have ever managed to release anything quite like this ever since.
Best Songs: Zero; Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans; Thru The Eyes Of Ruby

19) The Dresden Dolls - The Dresden Dolls (2003)

Introducing punk cabaret. Amanda Palmer and Brian Viglione combine pre-Nazi German theatre music with their own rock sensibilities to create something that sounds like nothing else in the world. It's hard to believe that with only piano and drums, you manage to get an album every bit as heavy as some bands with a full rock set-up of guitar, bass and drums, but The Dresden Dolls pulled it off with this debut album. Lyrically, the album deals with things like gender identity ('Half Jack'), being reminded of an ex every time you see the kind of car they drive ('Jeep Song'), child abuse - both traditional ('Slide'), and with the child as seductress ('Missed Me'), and Palmer's ADHD (the gloriously schizophrenic 'Girl Achronism', that can't seem to stick to any one subject before jumping onto something else, though all of the strands relate to feeling out of place). The Dresden Dolls are one of those love-it or hate-it deals, but whichever way you swing, you can't deny that they're pretty damn unique.
Best Songs: Girl Anachronism; Missed Me; Half Jack

< Message edited by AxlReznor -- 4/3/2013 12:23:34 PM >

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 89
RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time - 5/3/2013 12:50:41 PM   
AxlReznor

18) Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam (2006)

After a couple of albums that weren't very good ('Binaural' and 'Riot Act'), Pearl Jam decided to pick up their electric guitars again, and record their first full-on rock album since the mid-90's. I was skeptical upon its release, but it eventually became one of my favourite of their albums. It might sound like a mid-life crisis every time a middle-aged band decides to "return to their roots", but sometimes it's a long-needed palette cleanser that actually goes on to surpass a lot of the band's previous work. This is one of those times.
Best Songs: Life Wasted; Army Reserve; Inside Job

17) Nine Inch Nails - Broken (1992)

'Pretty Hate Machine', the debut album from Nine Inch Nails was seemingly more inspired by synthpop than their future records. The turning point came when Trent Reznor put together a band to tour behind that album... fed up with being ignored by the fans of bands they were opening for the band became more and more aggressive in sound. TVT, the label that released 'Pretty Hate Machine' were however demanding that the next NIN record sound like 'Pretty Hate Machine' (an album they had previously referred to as an "abortion"), and fuelled by the anger at the label's interference and inspired by the band's live performances, Reznor recorded this mini-album in secret as the ultimate "fuck you". It's fast, it's loud, it's angry, it's everything that people would come to expect from Nine Inch Nails, and the vital turning point in the band's career. Instead of releasing the band from their contract, TVT instead sold it to Interscope Records, a label that (for a while), Reznor had a much better working relationship with.
Best Songs: Wish; Last

16) Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream (1993)

Before recording for 'Siamese Dream' began, the media had hyped the band up as "the next Nirvana" - despite releasing their debut album months before most people had heard of Nirvana - which put an inordinate amount of pressure on Billy Corgan to come out with a huge record. This is not a good feeling to have when you are currently battling severe depression and undergoing writer's block. And to make matters worse, guitarist James Iha and bassist D'Arcy Wretzky who had become lovers were in the middle of a break-up so messy they couldn't even stand to be in the same room, and drummer Jimmy Chamberlin was in the grip of crippling heroin addiction. It's a wonder that 'Siamese Dream' ever got made, but with the help of producer Butch Vig (who had produced both the Pumpkins' debut, 'Gish', and Nirvana's 'Nevermind') Corgan slowly but surely began to write some of the most deeply personal songs of his career, starting with 'Today', a song that on a casual listen sounds bright and optimistic but upon closer inspection is an ironic look at the suicidal thoughts he was experiencing at the time. Moving into the studio for almost the entirety of the album's recording, Corgan managed to get the album finished despite band members disappearing for days on drug bender's, or locking themselves in the bathroom and refusing to record anything. It must have been a relief then, that 'Siamese Dream' became one of the biggest hits of the era, and is still highly regarded to this day, with its grandiose production featuring layers upon layers of guitars differentiating it from the rawer productions that had been released by other band's in that time.
Best Songs: Rocket; Disarm; Soma

15) The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)

Every single song is a classic. The drafting of guitarist Mick Taylor to replace Brian Jones turned them into rock 'n' roll behemoths like they'd never been before.
Best Songs: Brown Sugar; Wild Horses

14) Michael Jackson - Bad (1987)

Most people prefer 'Thriller', but 'Bad' has a special place in my heart for being the first proper album I ever owned. I was only around three years old at the time, but I saw the music video for 'Bad' on TV, and it became my introduction to the world of music beyond whatever my family happened to be listening to. This album, and Jackson in general, was a huge part of my life and shaping the person I became as I grew up. 'Man In The Mirror' remains my favourite of his songs. It's sad that the side-effects of being able to inspire people like me were that his life became a huge mess, though.
Best Songs: Man In The Mirror; Dirty Diana

13) Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy (2008)

"But there's no Slash"... the most tiresome sentence in the history of music. 'Chinese Democracy' took far too long to record, I think everyone involved will admit to that (though production began in 1998, not 1993 like popularly reported). And the band's line-up fluctuated so much in the years it was being produced that, yes, it's less the product of a band and more of a collaboration between a huge group of musicians (the sort of thing no one complains about when Queens Of The Stone Age does it, by the way). But put away who is (and more often who isn't) playing on the record, and forget about all of the drama involved with the band that to put it bluntly has absolutely nothing to do with anyone but the people actually directly involved, and what you've got is a pretty fantastic record.
There are a few tracks that may throw off some fans of the bands older material (most notably the White Zombie-style 'Shackler's Revenge'), but there are also tracks that are exactly what you'd expect from Guns N' Roses ('Street Of Dreams', 'There Was A Time', and the heartbreakingly beautiful 'This I Love' among them). And after repeated listens, the songs that come most out of left-field have really grown on me. Along with members of the current line-up (Axl Rose, keyboardists Dizzy Reed and Chris Pitman, bassist Tommy Stinson, guitarists Richard Fortus and Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal, and drummer Frank Ferrer), there are also contributions from other musicians that have come and gone from the band's ranks over the years, guitarists Buckethead, Robin Finck and Paul Tobias and drummer Brain (of Primus). Josh Freese - who was the drummer at the beginning of production - is also credited with multiple drum arrangements (to those who accuse Axl of wanting all the glory for himself, how many band's credit people for drum arrangements, or in one case someone is credited for a suggestion), as well as co-writer of the album's title track.
After seeing the band many times over the years, including last year at the O2 Arena, I do believe that 'Chinese Democracy' is finally growing on casual listeners of the band, as more people seem to be singing along to the new songs every time. I can understand the original skepticism around the record, but not the outright hostility that it also generates from some people.
Best Songs: Better; There Was A Time; This I Love

12) Mother Love Bone - Shine (1989)

The debut EP from Mother Love Bone.
Best Song: Mindshaker Meltdown

11) Faith No More - The Real Thing (1989)

Faith No More's third album introduced the almost supernaturally versatile Mike Patton (he can croon as well as he screams and raps, and if you've played the Darkness videogame he did the voice of that force of pure evil without any sort of vocal filter) as the band's frontman replacing Chuck Mosley. Unlike later albums, 'The Real Thing' is an almost pure funk metal album, with rapped sections that are reminiscent of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but with guitar riffs that are far heavier than anything produced by that band, who assumed that they'd been ripped off when they first heard 'Epic'.
Best Songs: From Out Of Nowhere; Epic

10) Duff McKagan's Loaded - The Taking (2011)

After the release and original touring behind 'Sick', Loaded's drummer Geoff Reading decided to leave the band for personal reasons and suggested Isaac Carpenter as his replacement. Isaac is a former member of the band Loudermilk (who became Gosling), and is Dave Grohl's favourite drummer, which should give you an idea of what to expect. Perhaps inspired by the hard-hitting nature of the new addition to the band, 'The Taking' is a much darker and heavier album than Loaded's previous albums, which could only be exacerbated by the inclusion of legendary producer Terry Date (he of Pantera fame). Opening with the bottom-heavy slow-grind of 'Lords Of Abaddon', 'The Taking' hardly ever stops for breath, though there is lighter far in the mid-point of the album with 'Easier Lying', 'She's An Anchor' and 'Indian Summer' sounding closer to previous material than what had come before, but it doesn't take long for the harder sound to re-emerge in tracks like 'King Of The World', 'Your Name', and the extremely angry 'Follow Me To Hell'. It seems that the previous Loaded albums were the band merely experimenting whilst trying to find a sound that was their's. With 'The Taking', they may have found it. Time will tell.
Best Songs: Executioner's Song; Dead Skin; Cocaine

9) Pearl Jam - Ten (1991)

Another of the top albums of the 90's, Pearl Jam's debut album is one that helped define the era.
Best Songs: Alive; Black

8) Stone Sour - Audio Secrecry (2010)

Stone Sour's third album, and one of the most fantastic of recent years.
Best Songs: Mission Statement; Hesitate; Threadbare

7) Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger (1991)

1991 was certainly a busy year for great music. Along with Nirvana's 'Nevermind', you had 'Ten' by Pearl Jam, 'Gish' by Smashing Pumpkins, 'Uncle Anesthesia' by Screaming Trees, the Temple Of The Dog album, the two 'Use Your Illusion' albums from Guns N' Roses, and this... the breakthrough hit from Soundgarden. With Hiro Yamamoto replaced by Ben Shepherd, 'Badmotorfinger' features a lot more low-end than previous Soundgarden albums, and the riffs have an early Black Sabbath influence. And on top of all this is the voice of Chris Cornell, which by this point was really coming into its own. If you're going to lump all of the Seattle bands under one "grunge" banner, then I guess this is my favourite grunge album for being so amazingly awesome from start to finish.
Best Songs: Outshined; Slaves & Bulldozers; Jesus Christ Pose

6) Guns N' Roses - Use Your Illusion II (1991)

The second part of GN'R's 'Use Your Illusion' records is by far the superior of the two. As I mentioned before, the tracks on 'UYI1' that sounded most like they belonged on 'Appetite For Destruction' were some of the weakest they recorded, and it was when they were pushing their sound in new directions at this point in their career that the band were at their best. Well, 'UYI2' is almost entirely the latter kind of track, and the songwriting on display here is uniformly outstanding (with one minor exception in 'My World' that I don't think really counts as a song), with Axl Rose's 'Breakdown' and 'Estranged' showing just why he is my favourite songwriter. I like things to be big, and epic (something that is echoed in my taste in movies), and Rose delivers in spades. Slash's 'Locomotive' is also a huge standout. The one track that is most similar to 'AFD' on this album is 'You Could Be Mine', and is actually unique for those kind of songs for GN'R in '91 in that it can stand alongside any track on that album without any kind of shame whatsoever. As great as 'Appetite For Destruction' is - more on that later - Guns N' Roses wouldn't have become my favourite band without 'Use Your Illusion' showing exactly what they were all capable of.
Best Songs: Breakdown; Estranged; You Could Be Mine

5) Avenged Sevenfold - Nightmare (2010)

In 2009, Avenged Sevenfold entered the studio to begin work on their new album. Work on the album was sadly interrupted by the sudden and tragic death of their drummer, The Rev (aka James Sullivan). When the band eventually resumed work on the record with Dream Theatre's Mike Portnoy filling in on drums, the band seemed to have been revitalised recording some of the most emotional (though no less heavy) music of their career in tribute to their fallen friend. An especially poignant moment is 'Fiction', a song about death that just happens to feature vocals from The Rev himself, though it's the two lengthy tracks that are the actual stand-outs of the record.
Best Songs: Buried Alive; Save Me

4) Metallica - Death Magnetic (2008)

Let's put aside the issues with the mastering of the album, in which 'Death Magnetic' unfortunately fell victim to the "loudness wars" - a production technique used by record labels in order to make the music more noticable when played on the radio, but sacrificing overall sound quality. I'm aware that this is going to be unpopular (perhaps even more unpopular than my high placing of 'Chinese Democracy'), but based purely on the songs, I believe that 'Death Magnetic' is the perfect Metallica album. Why? Because it combines the thrash metal the band helped pioneer in the 80's with the more melodic side of the band's music that they picked up along the way in the 90's... plus it doesn't sound a thing like 'St. Anger' which is always a plus.
Best Songs: Cyanide; The Judas Kiss

3) Tool - Lateralus (2001)

The first post-A Perfect Circle Tool album, and the influence from that band is definitely evident in Maynard's vocals, who sings in much the same way that he did on 'Mer de Noms', rather than the rougher sound Tool sounds had become accustomed to. The composition of the actual album, however, is Tool's most ambitious to date, including a three track sequence that listened to exclusively comes to around 25 minutes, and the title track incorporating a structure based on the Fibonacci sequence. The lyrics of that track deal with humanity's eternal quest for knowledge and also incorporated other elements of Mathematical theory, including the song alternating between 9/8, 8/8 and 7/8 time signatures (987 is the sixteenth integer of the Fibonacci sequence apparently). There is also an alternative tracklisting that if listened to in the correct order turns the album into one continuous song with ends of each track seamlessly merging with the beginning of the next. This tracklisting was discovered when a fan took the line "spiral out" from the title track as an instruction.
So, with all of this complexity and hidden content, it's obvious that Tool intended to make their fans think beyond just listening to an album. And they get away with it, because it is undoubtedly one of the greatest albums that modern metal has ever produced.
Best Songs: The Patient; Parabola; Lateralus

2) Nine Inch Nails - Year Zero (2007)

'Year Zero' is another album that gave fans something else to think about beyond the music. This time, the actual album was just one part of a multimedia project that included videos, countless websites and even real life and basically transformed people's perceptions of what a concept album could be. The general idea was based on the current political climate in the US in 2007, and Trent Reznor kind of created a dystopian society based upon his ideas of where things would be if they carried on as they were - the kind of thing that people have been writing about for years to be sure, but it's fairly unique in the medium of music.
The first hint that this was something bigger was when someone noticed that highlighted letters on a tour t-shirt spelled out 'another version of the truth', and somehow got it into his head that this would be the domain of a website. He was absolutely correct, and things expanded from there... new hidden messages were being found everywhere. Reznor would hide USB sticks with tracks from the album on them, with things hidden in the sound files that you could only access by putting the album into professional software. At one point some fans were asked to search for packages which contained cell phones... the cell phones rang inviting them to a "top secret" meeting, which turned out to be a recruitment drive for a an underground resistance movement, as well as a surprise NIN gig which ended in a fake police raid.
And once again, all of this would have fell flat on its face if the music didn't stand up to the inventiveness of its conception. To make a long story short, this is number two on a list of my favourite albums of all time... the music didn't disappoint. Throughout its sixteen tracks it takes you on a fascinating trip through the future Reznor had imagined, and felt like a culmination of NIN's entire career until that point. It had the harsh electronics of 'The Downward Spiral' (with 'The Great Destroyer', he got in before the dubstep trend), the haunting instrumentals and large-scale scope of 'The Fragile', and at points even showed the commercial inventiveness of 'Pretty Hate Machine'. And to top everything off, NIN's live performances at this time (where Reznor was joined by Jeordie White, Allesandro Cortini, Aaron North and Josh Freese) were some of the best performances I've ever seen from any band ever.
Last week it was announced that Nine Inch Nails are returning with a tour and new music. I'm excited.
Best Songs: Survivalism; Vessel; God Given; The Great Destroyer

1) Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction (1987)

In a musical climate populated by cheesy pop or even cheesier "glam metal", in which bands paid more attention to their image and how much drugs, girls and money they could get, the world was crying out for something a bit different. Enter Axl Rose, Slash, Izzy Stradlin, Duff McKagan and Steven Adler... a band where drugs, girls and money happened, but they were a consequence of the music rather than the reason for it. A band that looked like the bunch of misfits they were, equally inspired by punk as they were hard rock and metal. A band that dispensed with the sleek production, and synthesiser heavy "rock" of the time, and instead released 'Appetite For Destruction', a raw, dirty, expletive-ridden album that combined the bluesy-hard rock of early Aerosmith with the venomous rage of the Sex Pistols.
People nowadays lump Guns N' Roses in with all of those band's that I referred to before... the Motley Crue's and the Poison's. But make no mistake, they were a very different beast. They had a lot more in common with the band's that were currently building up steam in Seattle than they did the rest of L.A. In fact, I believe that if it wasn't for 'Appetite For Destruction' whetting people's appetites for something that sounded less polished, and more honest, then 'Nevermind' would never have become the hit that it was. And I believe that deep down, Kurt Cobain knew this, but he also knew that he had to set himself against what came before, and chose the most prominent band of the 80's to focus on - a rivalry that then got played up by the media, which confuses people nowadays when Slash and Duff are good friends of Krist Novoselic and Dave Grohl.
It's ironic that the hit that sent Guns N' Roses into the stratosphere is also the least indicative of what the rest of album sounded like, but 'Sweet Child O' Mine' is still one of the best rock songs ever... and to think that Slash considered that intro a joke when he first came up with it.
Did the fact that this was at number one actually surprise anybody, by the way?
Best Songs: Welcome To The Jungle; Sweet Child O' Mine; Rocket Queen

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: AxlReznor's Favourite 666 Albums Of All Time Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI