Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> V/H/S Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
V/H/S - 14/1/2013 5:31:28 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Awful, just awful, In the cinema people either laughed... - 14/1/2013 5:31:28 AM   
Jamie_M

4 stars,, You're kidding right??? This was the surprise film at a horror movie festival I was at and honestly, I swear to god, half the audience either walked out during it (trust me, not because they were scared) while the other half were laughing out loud during it, it was seriously that bad (especially the acting). Truly one the worst films I've ever seen in my life (and I'm a fan of horror and found footage). 6 separate short horror stories about idiots basically. They range from just plain and utterly awful to, this is so bad maybe it's supposed to be funny. None of it was though and nothing, absolutely nothing about this film works.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Awful, just awful, In the cinema people either lau... - 14/1/2013 1:12:13 PM   
guysalisbury

The trailer looks interesting but when someone has slated it as passionately as Jamie_M, I guess i'll wait to see what a few others have got to say.

(in reply to Jamie_M)
Post #: 3
Disappointed - 14/1/2013 2:19:44 PM   
Turd Ferguson

This generated some great early buzz, but this ended up being a bit of a let down. It's in the top tier of horror anthology movies, but horror anthology flicks tend to suck. A few pretty solid stories. The Radio Silence portion was probably the best. Ti West's effort was simply "ok". The one with the campers was awful.

Post #: 4
RE: Disappointed - 14/1/2013 3:42:06 PM   
Dannybohy

I was a collection of mostly utter crap found footage stories (not a coherent story), where for some reason these people all manage to keep hold of the camera and carry on regardless of the demonic harpies eating their penis!!. I like the Harpies! the rest was total crap that I fast forwarded through, got the idea and didn't waste as much time as I might of!. It would of been more sensible to take the best stories and weave an entire movie from it instead

Shit 1/5

< Message edited by Dannybohy -- 14/1/2013 3:43:22 PM >

'Man of Steel!,Man of Shit!' -fairyprincess

(in reply to Turd Ferguson)
Post #: 5
RE: Disappointed - 16/1/2013 1:06:59 PM   
ongbakdan

I dont think this warrents 4 stars AT ALL. There is a couple of intersting ideas in the film, but the quality of the actors is so bad it just doesnt pay off. I thought they would make a lot more of the "house with 1000's of videos".......but they kind of ignored that whole premise really and just used it as a vehicle to show these shorts. Not great at all.

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to Dannybohy)
Post #: 6
Great, great film - 20/1/2013 12:21:07 PM   
thearchitect

I was a big fan of this film, and thought it showcased the best of American genre filmmaking at the moment, I'm not a huge fan of found footage filmmaking but this did it well and whilst some stories are weaker than others, when it is at its best it is fantastic.

< Message edited by elab49 -- 20/3/2013 10:21:54 PM >

Post #: 7
Successful found footage anthology - 20/1/2013 11:54:43 PM   
boardedroom

V/H/S dares to be over the top, and succeeds in doing it good as well. This is one thrill ride that will shake you (maybe break you) and leave you shivering.

Post #: 8
NOT A FOUR.... - 10/2/2013 3:08:51 PM   
chrisdagnall

THREE STARS FOR ME....

SOME GENUINE SCARES, BUT IT DRAGS IN PLACES, AND IS OVERLONG. WAS ONE STORY TOO MANY....

ALSO DOESNT MAKE MUCH SENSE WHY MODERN TALES WOULD BE RECORDED ON VHS IN THE FIRST PLACE! AND ALSO.....WHY DOES ONE MAN HAVE ALL THE TAPES?!

Post #: 9
THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 26/2/2013 4:32:17 PM   
ROTGUT

Hands up if you’re fed up of the “found footage” genre? This film is competently produced and it seems to be the fashion now to show lots of real life, shaky hand held camera work which can be an advantage or a hindrance perhaps depending on what the subject matter is. Trouble is, I simply couldn’t have cared less about any of the characters – faceless, inter-changeable, young white American twentysomethings who are all irritatingly portrayed as (a) moronic (b) gullible (c) nymphomaniacs or whores. And it’s not enough to cobble the stories together in this manner and hope that it all hangs together. Why is everyone in the film walking around with a digital camera perched on their shoulder filming everything? Why do they all meet various gruesome ends? Are the VHS tapes cursed? And who the hell watches VHS tapes these days anyway? This is one to watch when you’ve reached the dregs at the bottom of the barrel I think – ONE STAR

Post #: 10
RE: THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 26/2/2013 5:56:12 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: ROTGUT

Why is everyone in the film walking around with a digital camera perched on their shoulder filming everything?

To be fair this is practically every single found footage film ever made.

(in reply to ROTGUT)
Post #: 11
RE: THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 1/3/2013 11:49:10 AM   
Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Why is everyone in the film walking around with a digital camera perched on their shoulder filming everything?

Not really - they generally have a reason for filming, e.g. in The Blair Witch Project they are making an investigatory report, or in Paranormal Activity they are using a camcorder as surveillance to try and record paranormal events.

I enjoy found-footage films when they are done well. The POV aspect can be hugely powerful in horror films as what we can't see is usually far more frightening than what we can. Amateur footage is also easier to identify with and believe as 'real', and a less polished capture is very good at ratcheting up tension. A recent good example of found-footage was, believe it or not, Paranormal Activity 3, which featured footage filmed by a camcorder mounted on a steadily rotating fan. The slow-panning shots were really effective in building our dread as we wondered what was about to come into vision.

While the novelty of found-footage has worn off (and it will never again be as effective as in Blair Witch), as a means of filming it is as valid as any other. It's just a shame that people are not maximizing its potential and are instead using it to churn out shitty films more cheaply.

In Thom we trust.

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 12
RE: THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 1/3/2013 12:33:50 PM   
UTB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cloud Cuckoo

quote:

ORIGINAL: UTB

quote:

Not really - they generally have a reason for filming, e.g. in The Blair Witch Project they are making an investigatory report, or in Paranormal Activity they are using a camcorder as surveillance to try and record paranormal events.

I enjoy found-footage films when they are done well. The POV aspect can be hugely powerful in horror films as what we can't see is usually far more frightening than what we can. Amateur footage is also easier to identify with and believe as 'real', and a less polished capture is very good at ratcheting up tension. A recent good example of found-footage was, believe it or not, Paranormal Activity 3, which featured footage filmed by a camcorder mounted on a steadily rotating fan. The slow-panning shots were really effective in building our dread as we wondered what was about to come into vision.

While the novelty of found-footage has worn off (and it will never again be as effective as in Blair Witch), as a means of filming it is as valid as any other. It's just a shame that people are not maximizing its potential and are instead using it to churn out shitty films more cheaply.

Hey I enjoyed VHS.

I think my point was that in every single found footage film there is at least one point which requires you to ask "why don't you put the camera down and run for it?", which ROTGUT was using as a means of criticism.

If the viewer isn't able to get past this most obvious of plotholes then found footage films aren't for them.

(in reply to Cloud Cuckoo)
Post #: 13
RE: THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 26/11/2013 1:26:54 PM   
jcthefirst

I couldn't find a thread for VHS 2 so I'll stick this here.

I really enjoyed it. It's a bit too slick for the whole found footage conceit but it's a better film, but not as scary as the first. Loved Gareth Evans one.

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 14
RE: THIS IS NO CHRONICLE...... - 26/11/2013 9:37:40 PM   
UTB

I enjoyed number two (hurhurhur) as well. Not the zombie section, though. That sucked. Zombies suck.

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> V/H/S Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI