Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tablet recommendations

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Tablet recommendations Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tablet recommendations - 13/1/2013 3:33:10 PM   
matty_b

OK, I'm a bit of novice when it comes to stuff like this, so would appreciate some pointers in the right direction.

Essentially, as I use public transport to get to work I'm after a tablet to help kill some time. The two main things I'm looking for are something that acts as both a Kindle/e-reader and also has access to Spotify.

So...what should I get?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 1
RE: Tablet recommendations - 13/1/2013 3:59:01 PM   
elab49

I think your first decision is what size you need. Any android tablet will give you Kindle and Spotify apps (I have both although you need to upgrade to a premium account to use Spotify this way).

My Galaxy Note is bigger than a phone, smaller than a tablet, but is fine for me. Most tabs will start a couple of inches bigger though. Nexus gets good reviews.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 2
RE: Tablet recommendations - 13/1/2013 6:06:20 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've got an ipad, you can't read on it, it's too big.

Get a Nexus 7, a few friends have them and i'd have one if i hadn't spunked all my money over Steve Jobs.

http://www.google.com/nexus/7/

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3
RE: Tablet recommendations - 13/1/2013 6:36:33 PM   
matty_b

Hm, food for thought.

Cheers, guys.

quote:

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 4
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/1/2013 9:44:13 AM   
paulyboy

Yeah the Nexus 7 get's my vote as well

The larger 10"+ tablets are really too big to be genuinely portable for public transport, but the 7" ones are just about right in my opinion, with the Nexus 7 being the pick of the bunch at the moment. I suppose the iPad Mini could also be a consideration, but even the full fat Nexus 7 with all the bells and whistles is still cheaper than the entry level Mini.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 5
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/1/2013 9:55:17 AM   
Hobbitonlass

One of the guys at work came in with an iPad mini last week and I was impressed with the size and feel of it.

I have an iPad but wouldn't use it for daily commuting as feel it is too big (mainly use it indoors and on longer journeys where I watch films/tv series). If I wanted something for a daily commute (have a kindle so happy with that) then I would definitely look at something like the Nexus 7 as wouldn't throw money at an iPad mini!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/1/2013 12:47:23 PM   
sharkboy

The wife and I both got a Nexus 7 for xmas and I'm very impressed by it.  32GB for 200 is pretty decent value IMO, and the screen is very nice indeed.  The pre-loaded video player only supports mp4 playback, but there are a couple of free apps that allow you to play most any format (MPlayer and QQPlayer).  Unlike Kindle HD you're getting the full Android 4.2 experience, so just download the Kindle app to play the books or use the in-built reader.  You mention accessing Spotify during your commute - if you need internet access, then there is a 3G version of the Nexus now available for a bit more money

iPad Mini might be all nice and shiny, but compared to the Nexus, it's crap value for money.

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 14/1/2013 12:53:03 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 7
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/1/2013 1:04:33 PM   
great_badir

Sorry to say I haven't come in here with a recommendation as I know nothing of tablets, except for the Kindle Fire HD which is the only one I've even looked at (on behalf of someone else).

Rather, I've come in to comment on how nice it is to see that no one has suggest an iPad as a primary choice.

Well done. Everyone.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/1/2013 5:13:22 PM   
matty_b

OK, more great info.

Cheers all.

quote:

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 9
RE: Tablet recommendations - 15/1/2013 1:42:48 PM   
Moorish

I've yoyed so long and so hard over various stages about getting an iPad, but I can't justify it. I have an iPhone - so that gets me out of trouble. I have four laptops and two desktops indoors. It just seems liek a vanity purchase for something I don't need. I can't see it replacing any of the above - for instance writing this message on this forum - wouldn't be so easy on an iPad. Like, at all.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 10
RE: Tablet recommendations - 15/1/2013 1:44:25 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moorish
for instance writing this message on this forum - wouldn't be so easy on an iPad. Like, at all.

Compared to trying to post on an iPhone, posting on an iPad is a doddle. I've done it many a time.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 11
RE: Tablet recommendations - 17/1/2013 8:31:32 PM   
Spiked

Put me in the want an iPad club.

For those who have one, how easy is it to connect to say, a local Starbucks wifi, and for the device to remember the router. How do you obtain the password to the router?

Also, is there any way to save photos and documents in folders on an iPad? i.e. could I have a folder where I saved photos I like online.

Thank You

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 12
RE: Tablet recommendations - 17/1/2013 9:22:44 PM   
elab49

IF not there is with Android - it's a highly functional OS 

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 13
RE: Tablet recommendations - 18/1/2013 1:05:58 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked

For those who have one, how easy is it to connect to say, a local Starbucks wifi, and for the device to remember the router. How do you obtain the password to the router?

You log in to most public wifi points in places like Starbucks via The Cloud, or a provider of that ilk. You sign in with your email address and create a password, so there's no need to obtain a password from anywhere. If you're somewhere that doesn't use The Cloud, like an independent cafe, 9 times out of 10 the password for their router will be written on a sign in the cafe.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spiked
Also, is there any way to save photos and documents in folders on an iPad? i.e. could I have a folder where I saved photos I like online.

Yep, you simply create a folder in the same way you would on a regular computer, albeit in the iPad's photo programme.

I have an iPad, and love it. I initially bought it to test content I was creating for tablets on, and now it's my preferred platform for consuming written media on. Sure, it's a luxury, but if you can afford to spend the money I'd recommend it.

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 14
RE: Tablet recommendations - 18/1/2013 3:58:57 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Ibuprofen is good. Aspirin if the pain is less severe.

OH COME ON, SOMEBODY WAS GOING TO DO IT.

The Nexus 7 is brilliant.

- It's 159 for the basic model, which is absolutely fine for almost everything.

- It's perfectly sized for general browsing, in either landscape or portrait mode.

- It's fast and responsive.

- it uses the same "swipe" function that Samsung Galaxies have, which makes using the keypad a breeze.

- If you use gmail - and I do - the calendar will sync with all your calendars. So I use Chrome on my work PC, and I have an Android phone. Updating the calendar on one will update it on all which may well be a standard thing these days, but it's great.

- the size of the beast means that it is perfectly usable as a regular diary without looking like a complete arse when you whip it out at meetings (Chief, that one's a gift)

- The size and weight means that, slouched on the settee, with it resting on your knee / grossly oversized belly, it's perfectly comfortable.

- the screen quality is excellent - watching videos, or reading books, really easy.

- The cost really is a massive selling point. It's a fraction of the cost of the iPad Mini, but functionality is massively comparable. Basically this is the superior buy.

In short, it's an excellent piece of kit, easily navigable, customisable, and portable. With a case - essential, I got a MOFRED one from Amazon - it's still no big stretch to stick it in a large coat pocket or a small bag.

ALSO YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE LCARS COMPUTER FROM STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION AND PRETEND YOU'RE JEAN LUC PICARD.

JEAN LUC PICARD!!!

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 15
RE: Tablet recommendations - 18/1/2013 4:41:57 PM   
shool

I work for Acer and we're launching a cheap as chips 7" android tablet next week for 99

If its just for basic use will fit your criteria nicely and alot cheaper than a Nexus

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/379240/99-acer-b1-a71-tablet-revealed-at-ces-2013

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 16
RE: Tablet recommendations - 21/1/2013 1:22:07 PM   
Chief

Catchy name.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 17
RE: Tablet recommendations - 21/1/2013 10:43:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Sounds like a self destruct code from Star Trek.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: Tablet recommendations - 22/1/2013 10:14:55 PM   
Spiked

Samsung Galaxy tablet anybody? How does that compare to an iPad?

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 19
RE: Tablet recommendations - 23/1/2013 5:37:38 PM   
Moorish

What is the difference between 3rd and 4th gen iPads? Is there any difference in screen quality? Seen a third gen (w/ Retina display) on eBay, tempted to go for it, but it does state its not the newest model...

(in reply to Spiked)
Post #: 20
RE: Tablet recommendations - 24/1/2013 12:46:07 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

What is the difference between 3rd and 4th gen iPads? Is there any difference in screen quality? Seen a third gen (w/ Retina display) on eBay, tempted to go for it, but it does state its not the newest model...

The only difference is a speed bump on the processor and the 4th gen has the new style of AC adapter. Screen resolution is exactly the same. On the outside they look exactly same.

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 21
RE: Tablet recommendations - 24/1/2013 12:38:27 PM   
Marky_Mark

quote:

I'd get it. The speed increase is negligible at best and the new AC connector is a real pain (coming from someone who's upgraded to iPhone 5 and had to fork out 25 for an adapter).

The Nexus 7 would probably get my vote if you're going to be using it for games/watching videos. Anything meatier (reading books/magazines/webpages) I'd splash out on a retina-display iPad - it'll make a big difference if you're consuming that kind of media.

If you're happy to wait...no doubt there will be a retina iPad mini out later this year which should do the job.

Ramblings of a musician, telly addict, and tech-head...

www.twitter.com/MarkSaysThis

XBOX Live Gamertag: Roost N Roll

(in reply to Moorish)
Post #: 22
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/2/2013 9:11:20 PM   
Spiked

Somebody said today that the Nexus 10 is a beast to have. You can play games with a controller, has the best looking screen, fastest browsing, HDMI output... he made a good argument.

Does anybody agree?

(in reply to Marky_Mark)
Post #: 23
RE: Tablet recommendations - 14/2/2013 10:24:57 PM   
gingerdaniel

Wicked bit of kit, bit big for reading on the bus though, like the ipad is.

The blackberry playbook can suck my balls, it's rubbish.

Just get a nexus 7 already!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 24
RE: Tablet recommendations - 15/2/2013 9:49:42 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

The Mrs wants an e-reader after seeing my mum and dads Kobos they got for Christmas but I begrudge paying for what is essentially just an ereader! I'd rather get a small tablet like device that she can use for other things as well as read books. Her iphone is too small and our ipad is too big.

I was thinking of the Kindle Fire but there doesn't seem to be much love for it in here.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 25
RE: Tablet recommendations - 15/2/2013 2:57:44 PM   
gingerdaniel

It's a good device, and i'm sure the missus would like it, but it's limited if you want to start installing lots of apps, for browsing the net/facebook and reading the kindle fire's pretty good.

As an all round tablet for games and other apps, the nexus wins. I think.

I have used the kindle fire, kindle fire hd, nexus7, blackberry playbook and various ipads.

As i mentioned before, if i didn't already spunk my cash on the ipad, i'd have a nexus 7, the price is amazing for the package i think. I may even get one for my ladyfriend for her birthday, keep her grubby mitts of my ipad...

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 26
RE: Tablet recommendations - 15/2/2013 5:14:21 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

The Mrs wants an e-reader after seeing my mum and dads Kobos they got for Christmas but I begrudge paying for what is essentially just an ereader! I'd rather get a small tablet like device that she can use for other things as well as read books. Her iphone is too small and our ipad is too big.

I was thinking of the Kindle Fire but there doesn't seem to be much love for it in here.....

I've got a Kindle Fire - I really like it! I have a regular Kindle ebook reader as well though so I guess I bought it as a bit of a Kindle convert. Wanted a tablet but didn't want to pay a lot for one - and didn't want to go for some no-name shit as did that once and had to take it back due to shitness!

I'd say the Kindle Fire is absolutely fine if you're a consumer of Amazon's services. The Kindle store is obviously seamlessly integrated into the device's OS and Lovefilm Instant streaming works great. I haven't tried putting any of my own video files on it yet though.

In terms of games and apps, it's pretty well known I think that the Kindle app store is fairly cutdown compared to Google Play, but there's plenty on there, including plenty of the popular games you get on full Android/IOS tablets. It's certainly no Blackbery Appworld let's put it that way!

The storage is only 8gb for the standard Fire (the HD is 16gb or 32gb), but I'm not sure that's an issue for me - books don't take up much space and video is geared more towards streaming. Depends how many apps/games you want to put on it I guess but it'd probably take a lot to fill it! At any rate, for Amazon store content, you've got really easy access to the cloud storage so it's easy to take stuff off/download it again if you really need to.

Internet browsing works fine on it too.

Personally I'd recommend it, as long as you understand that it isn't a full on Android device like that Nexus tablets - it does have it's limits in that respect. For 100 - 130 (I paid 100 when it was on offer before Xmas), I don't think you can go too far wrong with it!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 27
RE: Tablet recommendations - 18/2/2013 12:55:34 AM   
homersimpson_esq

Thinking of one of those Iconia doofers for my son's birthday. Little goit is going to be ten and is rather taken by my Nexus 7. Any word on the street on quality when thinking about kids? Build, power, etc.

Bristol Bad Film Club

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 28
RE: Tablet recommendations - 20/2/2013 7:36:34 PM   
Spiked

Ithink I've made my mind up on getting the Nexus 10 - as soon as it comes to CEX as I have vouchers to use. However if this isn't stocked by June, I'll get an iPad3.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Knowledge Base >> Tablet recommendations Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI