Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 5:07:19 AM   
giggity

I was wondering if anyone has ever given a film they wouldnt usually try due to a filmmaker they like, recommending it?
For example, if it wasn't for Edgar Wright recommending Danger Diabolik and Phantom of the Paradise because they influenced him while making scott pilgrim I doubt I would have ever watched those films but I did and I really enjoyed them.

Another topic is has there been a film that you didn't really enjoy that you gave a second chance after hearing a filmmaker you love say they enjoyed it?

I can't remember anything right now involving me and doing that but slightly related is I really enjoyed Dark Knight Rises and after reading a lot of internet comments slating it, it got me a bit down that it wasnt enjoyed as much as previous films but then I read an interview with one of my favourite filmmakers Paul Thomas Anderson and he described the nolan bat films as "the meeting of the highest level of artistic skill & a kind of commerciality and appeal to a wide range of people which is what anybody would want. It's kind of unparalleled actually" it made me feel good that someone who I admire a lot felt the same way about films that i loved as i did.

how about you?
Post #: 1
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 9:41:17 AM   
AxlReznor

Nope... can't stand the awful pile of crap that is On Her Majesty's Secret Service, but it's my favourite filmmakers' favourite Bond film. Just goes to show, you can't trust anyone.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 2
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 10:21:52 AM   
giggity

which director is that?

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 3
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 10:24:39 AM   
AxlReznor

That'd be Christopher Nolan.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 4
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 10:27:01 AM   
filmburner30

I follow Martin Scorsese's nose for a good film and its come up trumps numerous times including

Bigger Than Life - Nicholas Ray 1956

Faces -John Casssavetes 1968

Murder by Contract - Irving Lerner 1958

Two Weeks in Another Town -Vincete Minelli 1962

"Where are you calling from Milo?"
"The bottom of the pool?"

"Im The Anti Christ.You got me in a Vendetta kind of mood"

"Come back Alan , You Wanker!"

"Your a Doctor,Deal with it"

(in reply to AxlReznor)
Post #: 5
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 11:24:57 AM   
giggity

Yeah Scorsese seems to bleed film, not only does he have good taste he's also pretty much seen every film that comes out. I read an interview once with him where he talked about watching 'Colin' the British zombie film that was made for 45!

(in reply to filmburner30)
Post #: 6
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 3:50:36 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Kubrick really, really liked The Jerk.

I do too, but it's an interesting pairing. Especially when you know that at one point, Eyes Wide Shut was going to be a sex comedy starring Steve Martin.

Imagine that while you eat your coco pops.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to giggity)
Post #: 7
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 11/1/2013 4:15:58 PM   
UTB

Slightly off topic - did anyone read the Q&A with Kubrick's daughter and (i think) grandson? One of the questions was what movies did he like and the answer was (unsurprisingly) everything. Apparently he recommended White Men Can't Jump to his daughter.

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 8
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 12/1/2013 1:28:41 PM   
Whistler

In answer to the title of the thread, I'll take recommendations from them but I don't change my opinions to match them. For example, in Richard Schickel's book Conversations With Scorsese (clicky, it's a great book), Scorsese discusses his love for The Searchers in great detail. I decided to go out and buy a copy based on his recommendation, and while I think it's a perfectly decent film, I certainly don't think it's a masterpiece. There are many better westerns out there. Scorsese is one of my most revered and dependable filmmakers, but I'm not going to pretend I loved The Searchers as much as he did because it will somehow make us buddies.

(Although if it did make us buddies I probably would )

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 9
RE: Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? - 13/1/2013 5:02:38 PM   
Moorish

Tarantino is one of my favourite directors. Probably #5. And I can't stand Asian cinema. So I'd say no on that basis :-)

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie Musings >> Do your favourite filmmakers taste affect yours? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI