Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Tim Bevan On Tom Hooper's Oscar Snub

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tim Bevan On Tom Hooper's Oscar Snub Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Tim Bevan On Tom Hooper's Oscar Snub - 11/1/2013 3:21:05 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Why is this a shock? - 11/1/2013 3:21:05 AM   
Tristram

I've lost count of the amount of reviews of Les Mis that have labelled Tom Hooper as "inept". Even positive reviews have singled him out as the films biggest flaw. Why are we surprised at his omission? Because he asserted himself as a candidate? Had he been nominated, the backlash would have been HUGE.

I applaud the Academy for nominating the genius Haneke over a flash-in-the-pan mediocrity like Hooper.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is this a shock - 11/1/2013 9:00:22 AM   
lukeynemo

"flash in the pan mediocrity like Hooper" What planet are you on?! To go from King's Speech to Les Mis in four years and make critical and commercial successes of both is frankly astonishing. Les Mis is notoriously difficult to direct on stage, let alone on celluloid, but Hooper did it, and did it well enough to get 8 Oscar noms out of it.

Post #: 3
Are you fibbing, Tristam? - 11/1/2013 9:59:19 AM   
Nicky C

Just to pull you up on that brazen lie, exactly how many reviews did you have to read before you 'lost count'? What was the tally before it all became a blur? This is all an obvious falsehood. Also, you confess to be able to look into alternate futures as well ... you say that there would have been a HUGE backlash? You cannot possibly qualify that. A quick look at Rotten Tomatoes shows that the film has a critics rating of 70% and an audience opinion of 84% Tell me Tristam, how can a director achieve that if he is, as you say, 'inept'. You shame yourself, Sir.

Post #: 4
RE: Are you fibbing, Tristam? - 11/1/2013 11:40:53 AM   
BudBaxter

Screw Tom Hooper. He stole Fincher's statuette when he won for The King's Speech in 2010, despite being the worst director in the entire category that year. He certainly doesn't deserve another.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 5
- 11/1/2013 7:16:08 PM   
hi charlie

who gives a fuck about the Oscars the whole things a sham, and Empire use it to fill pages with tedius twaddle every year. boring.. snore... wake me when it's all over.

Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Tim Bevan On Tom Hooper's Oscar Snub Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI